(Topic ID: 267359)

The official Comic Book Collectors thread. Buy, sell, trade, discuss!

By Pinballmike217

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231002_071031 (resized).jpg
Screenshot2023-04-04at12.08.56PM (resized).png
Banner_55f4dc99-a025-4aa6-8d9a-3338cbf030d1 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
340178997_924169458725587_361559738993362518_n (resized).jpg
340148212_6464507356926833_8315583720407808304_n (resized).jpg
340335941_565249195706078_6984685647548954003_n (resized).jpg
IMG_3495 (resized).JPG
20210104_102645 (resized).jpg
20210104_095015 (resized).jpg
sw (resized).JPG
IMG_7304 (resized).jpg
IMG_7134 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5869 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).png
172981E0-69B1-4C99-ADD0-2B26DC1007CA (resized).jpeg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I was stoked to get it back as a 9.8 newsstand, double cover error.

Here it is. I think CGC has changed its protocols since then and now if there is an error within the book the top label is purple. I might be wrong? 008E6E24-CDB4-4259-80EF-C97C534B8A75 (resized).jpeg008E6E24-CDB4-4259-80EF-C97C534B8A75 (resized).jpeg

CE4FCB5B-025A-42DA-A901-486723D76B43 (resized).jpegCE4FCB5B-025A-42DA-A901-486723D76B43 (resized).jpeg
#52 3 years ago

Also, when you get your books back from CGC look for “Newton Rings.” I don’t consider it too big of a deal. Some “slabs” show a ton of rings and others have none. Its just another aspect to look at when grading. Here are a few examples.

0EAA080F-9FD2-4451-9A36-48A34153CB8B (resized).jpeg0EAA080F-9FD2-4451-9A36-48A34153CB8B (resized).jpeg1A611CEC-11B9-4078-8E63-F7013FA7345E (resized).jpeg1A611CEC-11B9-4078-8E63-F7013FA7345E (resized).jpeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbookcollecting/comments/9ngprx/cgcs_statement_on_newton_rings/

#53 3 years ago

Another thing to consider when selecting a comic to be graded is to look for “Newsstand” or “Direct.”
26BC93E5-4D1D-4E11-A8DF-16126CBE38FF (resized).jpeg26BC93E5-4D1D-4E11-A8DF-16126CBE38FF (resized).jpeg

EEA287AB-F73D-4553-9355-7E982FE36E0C (resized).jpegEEA287AB-F73D-4553-9355-7E982FE36E0C (resized).jpeg
#54 3 years ago

Let me know if you have any original TFTC, good condition please

#55 3 years ago

You would think I have more time to get pictures up here. Great thread. I will post my batch that came back.

#56 3 years ago

I always look first at Cgc graded books now. I like to look a lot and not actually buy, I’ll be honest.

#57 3 years ago

I like this website for a once through the top 100.

#59 3 years ago

Cool, thanks, I hadn't seen that sight before. I'm sure I have a few of those tucked away.

1 week later
#60 3 years ago

I finally got some of my comics hung up around a portion of the game room. I used J channel. J channel is very cheap....3.48 for 12ft of it. Used black spray paint.
The only thing I wish I had done differently.....was used a miter saw for my corners......

20200511_145535 (resized).jpg20200511_145535 (resized).jpg
#61 3 years ago

Just a quick follow up to my first two weeks of auctions. I started with my Spidermans. I sent my key issues to CGC for grading and it will be awhile until I get them back. I auctioned 48 books individually ranging from issue 12 to 79. I am pleased to say I had tons of interest and lots of bidders. I ended up with $2900 in sales. Fees are 10% for ebay and 3% for paypal. I'm sure I would have taken a much greater hit than that if I sold to a dealer. This has been fun but very time consuming which is fine while I'm waiting for work to reopen. At this rate I can probably sell one box a month and I started with eight boxes. I hope to get through three or four boxes and at that point the rest of my collection will be cheap stuff and I can let that go to a dealer. If nothing else this is a fun way to pass some time until life gets back to normal.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Just a quick follow up to my first two weeks of auctions. I started with my Spidermans. I sent my key issues to CGC for grading and it will be awhile until I get them back. I auctioned 48 books individually ranging from issue 12 to 79. I am pleased to say I had tons of interest and lots of bidders. I ended up with $2900 in sales. Fees are 10% for ebay and 3% for paypal. I'm sure I would have taken a much greater hit than that if I sold to a dealer. This has been fun but very time consuming which is fine while I'm waiting for work to reopen. At this rate I can probably sell one box a month and I started with eight boxes. I hope to get through three or four boxes and at that point the rest of my collection will be cheap stuff and I can let that go to a dealer. If nothing else this is a fun way to pass some time until life gets back to normal.

You would has definitely taken a hit with a dealer. I just sold all my Grails to a private collector to finance my Deadpool pin. I took a haircut on them but the dealers were brutal. I would have sold them on eBay but I needed the cash in a hurry to get the machine.

#63 3 years ago

Never hurry. but that is me, I realize.

#64 3 years ago

I sent a handful to Cgc and then I am just sitting on my raw books. I want another fifteen years to go by before I sell, mainly.

#65 3 years ago

I got some decent Neal Adams for instance. I had begun running into him more and more at shows. He has a store near me I can go to and met the manager.

So I might have these signed and graded, but only because it is Neal Adams.

I go back and forth between magic Cards and Comics and right now it’s more magic with corona v.

#66 3 years ago

If the market bounces back robustly, I could see myself doing more buying selling and grading of comics.

24 month setback is what I’m feeling, though. Live comic events will take a hit but I think overall values in key books will continue to climb. (I’m hoping for a spike here)

We shall see!

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I sent a handful to Cgc and then I am just sitting on my raw books. I want another fifteen years to go by before I sell, mainly.

Ha, I'm just shy of 60 years old and if I waited another 15 years I'd forget I even had any books in the closet. I guess everything happens for a reason. I'll keep at least one box of stuff I want to reread in the future. Outside of that I'm glad I'm making some other collectors happy now. Hate to say it but at least while pinball is in a coma comics have a huge following.

#68 3 years ago

It's also risky to hold on to them as those that find value in them will be dying off soon, just like what happened to 50's classic cars.

#69 3 years ago

20200517_174838 (resized).jpg20200517_174838 (resized).jpg

Deadpool artwork on the banner is amazing!

#70 3 years ago

I sold off my collection of about 10,000 comics a few years ago because I did not want to move with them. I switched fully to Comixology about 8 years ago and have not regretted the move in the least. I started buying original comic artwork about 15 years ago and still dable in that. Here are a few good pieces for you to enjoy:

Civil War page by Steve McNiven
Kraven and Punisher by Mike Zeck
Silver Surfer 34 (Return of Thanos) by Ron Lim
Thanos Commission by Frank Cho
Thanos by Jim Starlin

Civil War_McNiven (resized).jpgCivil War_McNiven (resized).jpgKraven_Zeck (resized).jpgKraven_Zeck (resized).jpgPunisher_Zeck (resized).jpgPunisher_Zeck (resized).jpgSilver Surfer 34 pg 7_Lim (resized).jpgSilver Surfer 34 pg 7_Lim (resized).jpgThanos by Cho (resized).jpegThanos by Cho (resized).jpegThanos_Jim Starlin (resized).jpgThanos_Jim Starlin (resized).jpg
#71 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I sold off my collection of about 10,000 comics a few years ago because I did not want to move with them. I switched fully to Comixology about 8 years ago and have not regretted the move in the least. I started buying original comic artwork about 15 years ago and still dable in that. Here are a few good pieces for you to enjoy:
Civil War page by Steve McNiven
Kraven and Punisher by Mike Zeck
Silver Surfer 34 (Return of Thanos) by Ron Lim
Thanos Commission by Frank Cho
Thanos by Jim Starlin
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool pics! Love the Thanos artwork....

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I sold off my collection of about 10,000 comics a few years ago

Wow, how did you sell such a large collection?

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Wow, how did you sell such a large collection?

Had a dealer buy them by the box. There is very little money in bulk buys. I kept some of the key issues but let everything else go. Unless comics are graded, there is very little value in things now and even then it is suspect. The whole comic market is fairly soft and nowhere where it use to be.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Very cool pics! Love the Thanos artwork....

Thanks! I was buying Thanos artwork before he became a thing. At that time, most of the pieces were snatched up by a whale that was a dot com millionaire. He bought all of the pages to X-Men 1, had more McFarland Spider-man covers than you can count, and had all 6 covers to the Infinity Gauntlet. I did get this bad ass page from Phillip Tan from under his nose. He reached out a few times but I would never let it go. The Cho page and the Silver Surfer page are far more desirable and expensive, but this is my favorite piece. Got it framed with an awesome colored print that was signed by Stan Lee.

Thanos_Tan (resized).jpgThanos_Tan (resized).jpgThanos Framed (resized).jpgThanos Framed (resized).jpg
#75 3 years ago

Last 2 for you tonight. Here are two pieces by James O'Barr of the Crow fame. The Crow piece is fantastic, but the other is called "The Night Watchmen of Lost Souls." The back of it has an awesome inscription of what went into the piece. Really cool piece.

Crow and Gabrielle OBarr (resized).jpegCrow and Gabrielle OBarr (resized).jpegNight Watchman_Barr (resized).jpgNight Watchman_Barr (resized).jpgNight Watchman Inscription (resized).pngNight Watchman Inscription (resized).png
#76 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Last 2 for you tonight. Here are two pieces by James O'Barr of the Crow fame. The Crow piece is fantastic, but the other is called "The Night Watchmen of Lost Souls." The back of it has an awesome inscription of what went into the piece. Really cool piece.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!

#77 3 years ago

Great stuff thanks for sharing. I used to live 15 minutes from the pawn shop on gratiot that inspired James O Barr’s crow scene.

That is not a great thing, just a fact.

#78 3 years ago

As adapted by David schow

4 weeks later
#79 3 years ago

Added led lighting to my make shift comic display. This project has been fun and highly recommend for the gameroom.
Getting positive responses from friends coming over....

Keep the thread alive!

20200615_111612 (resized).jpg20200615_111612 (resized).jpg20200615_111637 (resized).jpg20200615_111637 (resized).jpg20200615_111710 (resized).jpg20200615_111710 (resized).jpg

#80 3 years ago

Wtb vol 3 of the Black Monday Murders by Hickman and Coker

Willing to spend cut off finger, or my first born son complete with his inheritance in tact.

Any other HICKMAN fans out there????

#81 3 years ago

I have a Spiderman #50 CGC 5.5 on ebay right now, currently WAY less than book.
ebay.com link: THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN 50
Also a Spiderman #20 and nice runs of TOS and TTA.

#82 3 years ago

Rampaging HULK! Anyone interested? (1977)

IMG-1097 (resized).jpgIMG-1097 (resized).jpgIMG-1098 (resized).jpgIMG-1098 (resized).jpgIMG-1099 (resized).jpgIMG-1099 (resized).jpgIMG-1100 (resized).jpgIMG-1100 (resized).jpgIMG-1101 (resized).jpgIMG-1101 (resized).jpgIMG-1102 (resized).jpgIMG-1102 (resized).jpg

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Rampaging HULK! Anyone interested?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

One of my favorite runs ever. Esp loved the starlin covers. Was a nice change of pace versus the regular books at the time. Fun stuff

#84 3 years ago

Any Socal people have suggestions for good comic shops for finding cheap single issues? I'm looking for places with like boxes of dollar-or-less fare, 50% off sales, etc.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

One of my favorite runs ever. Esp loved the starlin covers. Was a nice change of pace versus the regular books at the time. Fun stuff

Yes! Different kind of artwork. Sometime I'll tell my "comic book story"....I had everything! All the Marvel's from 1 up! 10 copies of Amazing Fantasy. Thousands and thousands of comics from the 50's on. Original FF Kirby pages! Original Barry Smith Conan pages. Went out with Joan Lee (Stan's daughter), did many shows with Adams and have original art somewhere.... sold most of it, lots of artwork stolen...long story.....

Ted & Stan Lee 1995 (resized).jpgTed & Stan Lee 1995 (resized).jpg
#86 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! Different kind of artwork. Sometime I'll tell my "comic book story"....I had everything! All the Marvel's from 1 up! 10 copies of Amazing Fantasy. Thousands and thousands of comics from the 50's on. Original FF Kirby pages! Original Barry Smith Conan pages. Went out with Joan Lee (Stan's daughter), did many shows with Adams and have original art somewhere.... sold most of it, lots of artwork stolen...long story.....
[quoted image]

That's awesome. I would have loved to meet Stan Lee.

#87 3 years ago

Met him a number of times. I actually went to the Marvel offices to do interviews on Super 8 Sound film when Marvel was located in NY. Always a nice guy! Jack Kirby too...but he worked mostly from home....

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Met him a number of times. I actually went to the Marvel offices to do interviews on Super 8 Sound film when Marvel was located in NY. Always a nice guy! Jack Kirby too...but he worked mostly from home....

My bad, I never thought it would be worth waiting hours in line for an autograph. How wrong I was!

#89 3 years ago

And just for fun, heres the Hulk I just got back from grading:

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG
#90 3 years ago

Funny thing is...after selling what I thought was most of my collection...I found a BUNCH more stuff!! Boxes and boxes.... lots over oversize stuff as well...

#91 3 years ago

What's the best way to sell a collection?

I have a decent run of Amazing Spider-Man from #2 up. Some gaps.

Just wondering what's the best way to sell? Marketplace? Ebay?

#92 3 years ago

Direct first, then Ebay and last, in bulk to a dealer....

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the best way to sell a collection?
I have a decent run of Amazing Spider-Man from #2 up. Some gaps.
Just wondering what's the best way to sell? Marketplace? Ebay?

I did OK with ebay. CGC is expensive to get books graded so if a book won't sell for at least $250 don't bother. Gocollect is a great sight for valuation, well worth $10/month. GPA is a valuation sight for CGC graded books, also $10/month. If you join CGC to get books graded they have a chat room/forum where you can buy sell trade direct with other collectors, it's worth trying before selling on ebay to save ebay fees. My last two weeks of auctions on ebay have slowed down so I think comics has a summer slump like everything else. I'm going to get a few more key books graded and wait until summer is over to continue selling. If you have some expensive books it's worth sending them to Gary Kendra at Impressive Comics to get pressed before submitting to CGC. For short money he will improve your books and then submit them directly to CGC for you. Great guy to deal with. My Hulk would have been a .5 but after he pressed it I got a 2.0 from CGC, that's a $5K difference in value.

1 week later
#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Any Socal people have suggestions for good comic shops for finding cheap single issues? I'm looking for places with like boxes of dollar-or-less fare, 50% off sales, etc.

There is no place better near me than frank and sons.

https://www.frankandsonshow.net/

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Wtb vol 3 of the Black Monday Murders by Hickman and Coker
Willing to spend cut off finger, or my first born son complete with his inheritance in tact.
Any other HICKMAN fans out there????

Yes Hickman anything. Very irritated about the availability of the avengers by Hickman omnibus. They were new then gone.

Black Monday is epic. I am not afraid, but I probably should be.

#96 3 years ago

Heads and tables...

#97 3 years ago

I hate this thread. I've been avoiding it. It's just too painful.

I was buying comics in the early '60s. They were 10 cents then went up to 12 cents each. I favored DC over Marvel but bought some of both. My favorites were the JLA and Green Lantern. They were in boxes in my parent's basement when I was in college and then got my first apartment. My Mom saw them and donated a lot of them to the local grade school one year for their Halloween carnival, where they wrapped them in groups and sold them as part of the $1 grab bag prizes. I did not find out about this until after they were long gone, when I went looking for them and my Mom told me what she'd done with them. I still loved my Mom anyway, of course.

But that's not why I hate this thread. I bought one comic in 1962 for 12 cents and felt pretty good years later when I sold it for a hundred dollars. That mistake will continue to hurt me the rest of my life. The comic was The Amazing Spider-Man number one.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

But that's not why I hate this thread. I bought one comic in 1962 for 12 cents and felt pretty good years later when I sold it for a hundred dollars. That mistake will continue to hurt me the rest of my life. The comic was The Amazing Spider-Man number one.

Could have been worse. Could have been Amazing Fantasy #15 or Action #1.

#99 3 years ago

Any Dave Stevens fans out there? My personal favorite. I wish he did more before he passed. His Bettie Page art is amazing.

172981E0-69B1-4C99-ADD0-2B26DC1007CA (resized).jpeg172981E0-69B1-4C99-ADD0-2B26DC1007CA (resized).jpeg1B7A163E-0721-42ED-B38B-09EC04A87918 (resized).jpeg1B7A163E-0721-42ED-B38B-09EC04A87918 (resized).jpegA247C238-C017-4BE4-8BCC-D3AD5FB4C99A (resized).jpegA247C238-C017-4BE4-8BCC-D3AD5FB4C99A (resized).jpeg
#100 3 years ago

Mignola is a favorite, plus I miss Breyfogle and all the work he did on Batman.
RIP Norm.

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-comic-collectors-here-dealt-with-cgc/page/2?hl=impzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.