(Topic ID: 290759)

Any Cheap Way to Ship a Full Backbox with Backglass?

By Cheeks

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a full Space Invaders backbox with both backglasses. It's in great shape.

A fellow Pinsider has a Space Invaders game with water/fire damage to his game/backbox. We worked out a deal for my head/glass, but we cannot find an economical way to get it halfway across the country.

STI has a 500lb limit, so they're basically charging the same rate as a full game. I brought the backbox to both a FedEx and UPS store location, and they each want crazy money too ($400-$500 to pack and ship).

So, I really want to help this guy out, but I can't figure out how to get this thing to him safely.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

#2 3 years ago

Not sure on the distance, but I’m guessing a meet in the middle road trip is out of question. Hopefully someone traveling already that way by chance sees this and might be able to help. Maybe post where its going and see if someone can help that way?

#3 3 years ago

How much of the FedEx price was packing? That overall price seems high. Try packing it yourself.

Can you put it on a pallet and ship via fastenal? Might feel like overkill but it’ll be cheaper

#4 3 years ago

Try Uship or one of those things, my dad shipped a moped to someone for $300, no packaging, guy just rolled it into his trailer with the other stuff he was delivering and dropped it off.

Obviously I'd protect the glass somehow, but might have to go outside the box,,,no pun intended.

Without knowing where you're trying to deliver to, I can also say try Forward Air. If you can drop it off and the other guy can pick it up, you may be able to do a terminal to terminal thing for under $200. Package it well and strap it to a scrap pallet, they probably have some.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Not sure on the distance, but I’m guessing a meet in the middle road trip is out of question. Hopefully someone traveling already that way by chance sees this and might be able to help. Maybe post where its going and see if someone can help that way?

Chicago to California, so yeah, a meet in the middle is pretty much out.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

How much of the FedEx price was packing? That overall price seems high. Try packing it yourself.

The shipping itself was still over $400 at FedEx, over $300 at UPS.

I call FedEx in advance, because I was assuming it would be too expensive. A 15-minute phone call describing the item in detail, etc to find out it was $145 to pack and ship. After agreeing with the buyer that this was OK, I took a 30-minute drive to the FedEx location, only to get bait-and-switched to $540 to pack and ship. Bastards!

I have a method for safely packing and shipping backglasses for a somewhat reasonable price, but the glass in the full backbox had me nervous to pack myself safely. I figured if they pack it, they're responsible for it.

Either way, the *shipping only* portion costs more than I'm asking for the backbox/backglass.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Can you put it on a pallet and ship via fastenal?

I don't know anything about this. I have pallets, so I could look into it.

#6 3 years ago

I agree with @pinzrfun. Try Uship. I've used it several times and have gotten good deals. Also, not sure what Fastenal is doing these days, but last time I used them (about 2 years ago) it cost $150 to ship a pin half way across the country.

#7 3 years ago

Adding to the terminal drop list of the previously mentioned Fastenal and Forward Air, look up YRC Freight.

I recently paid $150 to have a full pin shipped from Missouri to Texas.

#8 3 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the ideas guys. I've pointed the buyer to this thread.

I bought this probably 15 years ago to mount on the wall and get the chase lights running. At this point, I just want to help get it to someone that can use it to save a game.

#9 3 years ago

I just had one shipped through UPS. I think it cost about $100 +/-
    They have a weight limit and charge by the pound so you’ll have to check with them but I think a back box is well within their limit and the cost will vary by weight.

#10 3 years ago

Greyhound Package Express. Goes where the busses go only though. US Military discount too if either party is active or honorably discharged. I've shipped small cocktail video games that way. 100# max. These were the Taito size games, not Midway.

Or post here to see if someone is driving that way. Heck, ten days ago I drove from near Detroit to Reno and then down to Las Vegas. I was on I-80 could have left it with Pinsider pinballinreno (he'd probably supply you with free popcorn when you picked it up from him) or in Vegas depending where it needs to go in California.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from 29REO:

I just had one shipped through UPS. I think it cost about $100 +/-
    They have a weight limit and charge by the pound so you’ll have to check with them but I think a back box is well within their limit and the cost will vary by weight.

Strange. UPS wanted over $300 for this, and that didn't include them packing.

Quoted from MrBally:

Greyhound Package Express. Goes where the busses go only though. US Military discount too if either party is active or honorably discharged. I've shipped small cocktail video games that way. 100# max. These were the Taito size games, not Midway.

This thing is 70lbs, so that might be an option.

Someone trekking cross country would be ideal, who knows.

Seems like a lot of great potential options for the buyer to look into. I didn't know about any of them. We'll see what he wants to do. Hopefully one of these options will work for him. I'll help how I can.

#12 3 years ago

Get an airport to airport quote from Forward Air. Drop off in Des Plains IL.

https://www.forwardair.com/services/expedited_linehaul

R&L provides the same terminal to terminal services too, i believe.

https://www.rlcarriers.com/

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Strange. UPS wanted over $300 for this, and that didn't include them packing.

UPS does not provide packaging services. UPS Stores do provide this but they are basically an independent franchise stor offering many services. But they charge quite a bit to package and their UPS shipping rates are at least double of what you would pay at a UPS customer Counter.

UPS Stores are a great convenience. But you pay for it. I use them from time to time to package odd stuff.

#14 3 years ago

Is fastenal store-to-store shipping still an option? That used to be $250. I haven't heard of anyone doing that in a while, though.

[edit]: Nevermind--looks like they put a pin in the service: https://www.fastenal.com/en/4590/blue-lane-freight

#15 3 years ago

Anyone ever used uShip?
    Was just recently recommended to me, prices are nice (based on an estimate I saw not an actual Bill of sale) just never heard of it until yesterday. Works with carriers.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is fastenal store-to-store shipping still an option? That used to be $250. I haven't heard of anyone doing that in a while, though.
    [edit]: Nevermind--looks like they put a pin in the service: https://www.fastenal.com/en/4590/blue-lane-freight

I got a pin shipped via fastenal store to store and it was $85. Last summer and the seller had an account with them and ships a lot of games, so I'm sure that cheap price has something to do with the volume they ship. I was floored and happily shipped my first non NIB game because of it.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Anyone ever used uShip?

Yes. See my post #6 above.
    I've use them several times with excellent results.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yes. See my post #6 above.
    I've use them several times with excellent results.

Sorry man I missed that!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.