(Topic ID: 7264)

Any chance of getting a high score page?

By Jgel

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Soapman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

add-score.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Any chance of getting a high score page, or have a place where high scores can be added to the Archive? I think it would be cool to see what others high scores are. I have no idea if my high score on my LW3 is high or just average. Although with so many different ways to play it would be hard to make a complete list. Maybe just 3 ball or 5 ball????

#2 7 years ago

and then we run into tournament settings and game difficulty settings with newer machines. I think it would turn into a pissing contest after awhile... Maybe not.

#3 7 years ago

Yea it would be cool to have but I don't see with so many setting how it would work.

#4 7 years ago

Default could be factory default, make a note box or boxes you can check like 5 ball, no-extra ball, ect... for anything other than that.

#5 7 years ago

I like that idea....

Enter high score, choose number of balls (3 vs 5), outlane difficulty, and a comments section for other remarks on game difficulty that the score was achieved on....

Either that (in DB) or a forum section (ideally, which won't show up in the list of recent posts, so people posting scores won't push the real discussion off the top) with a thread for each machine, and maybe new topic creation disabled.

#6 7 years ago

This is in the makings! Along with a redesign of some sections, the addition of em machines to the archive, a game room gallery for each Pinsider, redesigned market place and a renewal option and much more!

High scores on the Pinside are something I've wanted to do for a long time. Currently there are only some sketches on paper and a basic database layout so this is an excellent time to discuss this new addition to the site.

I wanna keep things simple to start with, but totally open for suggestions!

Here are my thoughts:
    1- anyone can enter high scores they made and form their own little archive of scores they made. This will be shown on their profile page.
    2- settings of the machine should be noted for each high score. Which settings are relevant? Number of balls, what else?
    3- taking a median average (that is, an average without the extremes) and displaying this for each machine as a guide of what could be considered a good score.
    4- pinside karma determines wether your scores are part of the display described at point 3.

What are your thoughts?

#7 7 years ago

That's great, but where's that revised ratings calculator? I'm just messin' with ya! Thanks for all you do!

#8 7 years ago

Ah the revised ratings calculator is finished and also part of that big update. You'll love it... I hope!

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

3- taking a median average (that is, an average without the extremes) and displaying this for each machine as a guide of what could be considered a good score.
    4- pinside karma determines wether your scores are part of the display described at point 3.

Question: Why interject high scores with Pinside Karma? Someone could lie to up their Karma, unpleasant thought it is. But the potential is there...

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Question: Why interject high scores with Pinside Karma? Someone could lie to up their Karma, unpleasant thought it is. But the potential is there...

Yea unless it is a trivial amount this may end up being an issue.

#11 7 years ago

This sounds like a cool idea. I think it would be cool if there is an option to denote if the game is on location. This would kill two birds since it would also let people know where to play. It also makes it more legit since if you got a score that should be on the high score table, people will see your initials.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

taking a median average (that is, an average without the extremes) and displaying this for each machine as a guide of what could be considered a good score.

Sounds good you mean what could be considered a good high score, rather than a good score.

Quoted from robin:

Which settings are relevant? Number of balls, what else?

which factory setting and a note to say if it was at home, in a competition or in the wild.

#13 7 years ago

I love this idea - I've wanted something like this for a long time. When playing new games I'd like to actually be able to see what real scores others are coming up with. It will be nice to have a spread of scores to see where you rank. This is a nice alternative to being made painfully aware that you aren't in the top 3 of a particular machine...

Of course the settings will probably have to be noted somehow. For instance, on my Flash I've changed the "Super Flash" to score an extra ball instead of a free-game...as all my games are free... I'm not sure how you really note something like that, is it something that would even be eligible?

Either way, I look forward to seeing this take shape. I'd be happy to post my meager scores to keep the average down.

#14 7 years ago

Love the idea and Robin the new updates sound great.

#15 7 years ago

Settings that would be good to take note of:

- Number of balls
    - Difficulty setting: late 80s Williams games had Extra Easy, Easy, Medium (default), Hard, Extra Hard
    - Extra balls allowed (many have a default maximum)
    - Outlane setting (as previously mentioned)
    - Playfield angle (6.5 or 7 degrees or whatever else is common)

#16 7 years ago

I think a more complex calculation than median would be needed to get a meaningful general idea of what a high score would be, since we likely won't have that much information for things other than 3 ball, default settings, with various outlane settings.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

a note to say if it was at home, in a competition or in the wild.

Personally I'd not complicate things with this info... what's relevant I think is number of balls and outlane post setting. Extra ball setting is also relevant, but probably over-complicating again... Tournament mode setting is also a valid option of course! Thinking about it, there's a minefield of variables that could result in a complicated matrix of information... I have my left outlate set to conservative and the right to liberal, one extra ball PBIP, non tournament mode and 4 balls per play (Dutch style ).
    There's also tilt sensitivity to consider!!! A significant factor if you nudge a lot!
    Outlane posts on/off...

#18 7 years ago

And don't forget ROM version... TAF Gold ROMs have higher scoring that standard ROMs for example...

#19 7 years ago

This would be great, and another idea / addition to a iphone app!

#20 7 years ago

Hi everyone. So today I have begun work on "high scores" as the last part of the big Pinside update!

I've tried hard to include all stuff suggested in this topic, but I also want to make sure I don't over-complicate this scores functionality. Check out the screenshot and let me know what you think so far.

I'm gonna start with just a screen in "my pinside" where everyone can save their scores. You can save as many scores as you want, add a score every day if you want a history of your daily scores. Each user's high scores will be visible on their pinside profile as well as on a new "quick profile" screen (a forum addition that I'm sure you're gonna love).

add-score.jpg

#21 7 years ago

hell yes robin! lookin good. if i may suggest another note;

no error readings. i feel this is a necessary one. there can be games with a bad switch or something, and scores can jack up. i've seen it before.

error code; yes/no

or just make it default that you can't enter a score unless the machine is playing 100%. on your honor of course.

#22 7 years ago

Looks great robin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 32.00
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside