Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

103EBF51-BC74-45E5-8A6A-0517CAF15562 (resized).jpeg
    16425456-AEB0-41DD-9D84-0C636D91C931 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have leased my cars for the past 6 years but now want to just buy a year old car and swap it every few years for another year old car. I am not used to buying the cars from dealers only just ordering lease cars. What sort of discount can you expect off the sticker price? How much can you ask for off without being rude? I will be paying cash which I believe puts me at a disadvantage as dealers like to make money from trade ins / finance (any truth to this?)

Any one work for big (car)dealers here?

Any advice?

Thanks

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice, iv also read the end of month/quarter, so prob best to wait until end of march? Only problem is my lease is up early April so gotta find something before then

One car I have my eye on is £25,650 so was thinking offering £25,000 nice round number.

#7 4 years ago

Ah ok its a 2019 Mercedes C Class 220D AMG Line in white, needs to be 2019 as they just had a face lift.
    Thanks for the advice guys I'll give it a go Tempted to try and leave until end of march... bit of a gamble but could pay off hehe.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Maybe I'm missing something here but how is constantly buying and selling a car every few years different than leasing. It seems like you're going to have a higher payment and lose more money on each sale/trade in - not to mention having to go through the hell that is car buying over and over and over like some sort of eternal torture.
    My wife got rear ended a few weeks ago so we literally just finished the car buying process. Feel free to take or disregard my advice but here is the approach I used the last few times to success:
    1. No matter what, never say you "need" a car.
    2. Go in first to any dealerships and test drive the cars you think you are interested in. Give them whatever story you can about how you are early in the process, taking your time, etc. You want to know the car you want before you let them know you want their car.
    3. Once you know what you want, comparison shop as much as possible...all the dealers, cars.com, truecar, carvana, etc. You want to know exactly what you are comfortable paying and what everyone else is paying before you even contact anyone.
    4. E-mail as many dealerships as you can, ideally on the same email, with exactly what you want and asking for the best price. Give whatever excuse you can make up to not waste your time in there...taking care of a sick parent, have a child, whatever. You want to know their number before you even waste your time talking to someone in person.
    5. Take the best offer and call the dealership (ideally email if you can) and get the sales manager, not the sales person that emailed you. Ask them how much better they can do on the price. Whatever they say, go lower and see where they are willing to meet you. If they refuse to discuss it over the phone, someone else will. Get the price on the phone, get the interest rate on the phone if you don't have your own financing. DO NOT GO IN A DEALERSHIP UNTIL YOU BASICALLY HAVE THE DEAL DONE. These people want to waste as much of your time as possible so you feel locked into a sale ("if I leave now I have to start all over, I've already been here 4 hours..."). Be prepared to hang up. Be prepared to walk out at ANY stage - and follow through.
    6. Don't worry about being rude and don't worry about being loyal to someone. The car sales industry is a flaming pile of garbage. These people are not going to sell you a car they don't make money off of. If it looks like you're getting a good deal and they are still selling you the car, they have room to move on price. When they don't call back, then you know their real bottom dollar.
    Ask me how I really feel about these scumbags sometime .

Yeah i totally agree, but then i think iv been paying £300 a month for 4 years for something I just now give back! nothing to show for it. I have to keep it in very good condition and stick to 8k miles a year etc... But if i bought the car in 4 years even if its only worth 15k that's 15k better then 0k And i might just choose to run it into the ground or put in another 10k to upgrade it. When you lease your paying for the depreciation in the first few years of a car which is the highest. Buying 1 year old its lost quite a bit and is still pretty much a new car so is deffo savings to be had, but yeah is more hassle i guess. Like I said iv been in the leasing game for a while now so thought id trey it the other way round

#13 4 years ago

Idea was to keep for 2-3 years then trade for another year old car but i like the idea of actually owning it and putting as many miles on it that i want (yes will lower value etc..) or if i just feel like keeping it i can, or want to swap early i can. I like the idea of having more freedom then signing on the dotted line and stuck for next X years.

#21 4 years ago

Offered £24500 so about 1k under sticker they did not accept (asked for a better offer). Worth countering or just waiting for another?

No credit this will be cash.

Also did not realise how much uk road tax is now, for this car it’s £465 which is insane I swear it was only like £185 on my last bought car. It’s always included in the lease deal so you never think of road tax when leasing. Might ask for them to throw in free years tax or something. Do dealers get this cheaper?

#24 4 years ago

I had Lexus is200 when younger in my boy racer days had alot of fun with that

My problem is I am very fussy when it comes to cars! Like this HAS to be white and the AMG line and a 2019 plate face lift. Having the ambient lighting / the new digital dash would be a bonus as well. Alot of people can walk into a dealership and be happy with many of the cars but for me it has to meet all my specs or I am not happy! which does put me at a slight disadvantage will agree. There is only 5 near me with this spec in my price range. And 4 of them is over 120 miles away this is only 50 so far closer.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I managed to get almost $5k below sticker. At only $1k less, it sounds like they're not terribly interested.

I agree I might leave it and wait for a better deal I still have 2 months to find one, and the longer I leave it the nearer the end of there quarter it gets so hopefully they become a bit more interested in offer discounts to meet sales targets etc...

#34 4 years ago

Yeah they got my phone number, the sales guy actually phoned this evening he did not mention any numbers but said feel free to stop by and take a look if you like. I definitely won’t be paying sticker! But not quite sure what my next move is? Does it look to needy to go take a look or just wait and see if they call back with a offer? I still have 2 months left to search for one. This one does have the ambient lighting package which I wanted so that’s a plus

#41 4 years ago

Some great advice here, not quite sure what this Costco process is or even we even have it here in the uk, it’s at a main Mercedes dealership so I can only assume there is some room on the price, it’s been there for at least 2 weeks from what I can see from the advert. All others are over 120 miles away but a closer one might pop up so that’s the gamble. I will probably stop by and see it on sat with my gf and youngest as she will want to test toddler seats (as they do Lolol) and will see what they can offer basically for me has to be £25k or under or I’ll walk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-car-dealers-here?tu=russdx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.