(Topic ID: 175366)

Any Canadians find Marco has absurd shipping costs?

By northerndude

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

marco (resized).jpg
    marco (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 5.11.24 PM (resized).png
    Shipping Rip-off (resized).jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Marco seems to have a very nice selection of parts and accessories I want/need.

I have my Cart all setup to make a purchase and WHAMO, there it is...... shipping says 8.99, then I choose Canada, and it goes to over $45! Anyone else find their shipping costs astronomical? I made a purchase from Comet for a stack of LED's and the product was just under $200 and their shipping was like $17.50, which is right in the ballpark.

Thoughts? Kevin.

#2 2 years ago

Ya its that I global shipping company. I think it makes it easier for people to ship but now there's a second party. Just like eBay. I could be wrong but that's my take on it. Also I've have orders were the shipping was over a 100 bucks form Marco. So now when someone form pinball league goes on vacation to the us. We all put in a big order and get it delivered to his hotel. We saved 1000$ of $ in shipping. But sometimes it's a long wait still got to make small orders here and there.

#3 2 years ago

You can request small items to be sent with no insurance or tracking for a very reasonable price (a few bucks).

#4 2 years ago

Frig, I was just in Phoenix, I should have had it sent to the house for small $, then shipped it to myself for also small $.

Lessons....

#5 2 years ago

Shipping internationally isnt easy when it comes to the stuff Marco sells.

Marco is probably doing what is easiest on his end to avoid undercharging the customer and having to eat international shipping charges when theyre calculated wrong.

We charge $30 to ship to Canada regardless if you order 1 bulb or 100,000 bulbs.

#6 2 years ago

I haven't come across your site yet Nifty, I'll check it out next time I need!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I haven't come across your site yet Nifty, I'll check it out next time I need!

Hopefully you buy more than one bulb from them.....

#8 2 years ago

Lots of options for you. I hope this helps

a) There are many US forwarding services that will charge you actual shipping costs. Have them ship to the forwarding address and then you can pick how quick you want it and at what cost.
    b) Group buy with local league or collectors and split the direct shipping costs.
    c) For large Marco orders +$500 I have found them to be reasonable when we reach out directly before placing the order.

Hope this helps, PM me your eMail and I'll make sure to get you on our group order email group. Edmonton to Nipawin can't be much via Canada Post.

#9 2 years ago

I just ordered a set of plastic protectors ( 4 pieces ) and 25 rubber rings. My total was $78.61 and shipping was $43.95. LOL

I'm not going to say who it was with, since I did have the choice to decline.... but I will say, I'll never order from them again.

#10 2 years ago

I Global is the costly part.

Have not ordered from Marco in a few years. The last time the carrier for I global lost or destroyed my shipment label. It took I Global 9 weeks to find the package and redirect it. To me, this is not the fault of Marco Pinball. Luckily all of the parts arrived undamaged. Now I must state that I Global did there best at getting me my order and admitted to an error. The Marco taped marked box was placed into another box wrapped with an I Global sealing tape.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I just ordered a set of plastic protectors ( 4 pieces ) and 25 rubber rings. My total was $78.61 and shipping was $43.95. LOL
    I'm not going to say who it was with, since I did have the choice to decline.... but I will say, I'll never order from them again.

That 43.95US or CAD? To think that for another $250US you could have the entire machine delivered to your door.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Marco seems to have a very nice selection of parts and accessories I want/need.
    I have my Cart all setup to make a purchase and WHAMO, there it is...... shipping says 8.99, then I choose Canada, and it goes to over $45! Anyone else find their shipping costs astronomical? I made a purchase from Comet for a stack of LED's and the product was just under $200 and their shipping was like $17.50, which is right in the ballpark.
    Thoughts? Kevin.

Shipping cost has nothing to do with product cost...
    Shipping cost is based on weight of package, size of package and destination. That's it. Unless you insure the shipment, which is an optional insurance cost, on top of the shipping cost.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

That 43.95US or CAD? To think that for another $250US you could have the entire machine delivered to your door.

Yeah, that's US dollars.

How much do you want to bet it arrives with a $18 or so postal amount on it??

#14 2 years ago

I order Marco stuff through Starburst. Shipping is usually around $20.

#15 2 years ago

That's exactly what grinds my gears, I don't mind paying actual costs plus some "handling" like the Dell commercial, lol.

But to fork over $46us, then getting a label with $18 on it makes me sad ;(

#16 2 years ago

Another option.

Contact the amazing people at Nitro.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

I order Marco stuff through Starburst. Shipping is usually around $20.

Is starburst a shipping company? How does this work?

#18 2 years ago

Starburst makes regular Marco orders and they can piggy-back your order on theirs. Same thing with PBR and others.
    Pinball Medics in Ottawa does the same thing.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Another option.
    Contact the amazing people at Nitro.

What do they actually carry though? I wanted Superband rings/rubbers and Plastic protectors for my Hobbit, I didn't see anything like that on there site.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

What do they actually carry though? I wanted Superband rings/rubbers and Plastic protectors for my Hobbit, I didn't see anything like that on there site.

Just shoot them a quick e-Mail. They had the IC's I needed to get my JM working, would have been 4x the cost to get them anywhere else.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Starburst makes regular Marco orders and they can piggy-back your order on theirs. Same thing with PBR and others.
    Pinball Medics in Ottawa does the same thing.

Thanks

#22 2 years ago

I needed about $250 worth of parts from Marco and the shipping worked out to $105 US. I decided to go through Starburst but the markup is double.

#23 2 years ago

I sent a Leg Light-Ups order to Canada recently, a 5 lb 8 oz package and the USPS shipping was $48. But I only charged the customer $25 and ate the rest.

#24 2 years ago

We have the same problem to New Zealand.
    NZ Post has a freight forwarding company (You Shop) which is cheaper for bigger orders.
    I have also had packages from Marco that were cheaper than the minimum US amount.
    Currently have a cart with a few lamps and small plastic pieces with a $US5.40 freight option.
    Also noticed that adding one small part can push you up to the next freight bracket and add considerable cost.
    I still like Marco as they have a great range.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

We charge $30 to ship to Canada regardless if you order 1 bulb or 100,000 bulbs.

I guess I hope I'm misinterpreting this... To me this comes across as that $30 is charged regardless of what the actual shipping costs are.

As others have noted, it's extremely disappointing to be charged exorbitant shipping fees, then to see the actual postage considerably lower when it arrives at your door.

I can't see how Marcos has any excuse when companies like Coin Taker and Cliffy can ship to Canada for reasonable costs.

#26 2 years ago

Well, problem solved for now. Found out family is heading to the house in Arizona on Saturday, had the entire package shipped there for the $8.99 minimum and they are forwarding it to me next week. I'll call it a win.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

I guess I hope I'm misinterpreting this... To me this comes across as that $30 is charged regardless of what the actual shipping costs are.
    As others have noted, it's extremely disappointing to be charged exorbitant shipping fees, then to see the actual postage considerably lower when it arrives at your door.
    I can't see how Marcos has any excuse when companies like Coin Taker and Cliffy can ship to Canada for reasonable costs.

Think again, see my earlier post $43.95 for rubbers and plastic. YAY!

#28 2 years ago

Yeah, I have a friend who lets me drop ship through him. Saves me a ton of cash even with "double" shipping.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I needed about $250 worth of parts from Marco and the shipping worked out to $105 US. I decided to go through Starburst but the markup is double.

That's odd. I've never experienced that and place orders monthly.

#30 2 years ago

Any carrier besides USPS charges quite a bit for international shipping. The problem typically lies with the business' ordering system, as when we tried to do it fairly on individual orders we ended up eating a bunch of money for shipping as it was always on the low end. Using the software major companies have for shipping runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus annual contracts. Small shops always have to find a balance between speed , cost and accuracy, and for the sake of a easy checkout they typically will just do generalized shipping cost. There's a major company who we deal with and they went with flat pricing for shipments as a majority of there stuff is small ($10 ground, $30 air, $50 next day). Next day air for a bolt or a fridge is $50 no matter what. Just like the guy complaining he had to pay $50 to next day air a bolt, I am ecstatic because it cause $50 to next day air a fridge.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

That's odd. I've never experienced that and place orders monthly.

Well Mr. Fancy Pants, perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us how you don't get F*ck up the ass by Marcos shitty shipping policy to Canada.

Shipping Rip-off (resized).jpg

#32 2 years ago

Well Mr. Fancy Pants, perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us how you don't get F*ck up the ass by Marcos shitty shipping policy to Canada.

You said the mark up was double. I said that in my experience it is not when ordering through Starburst.

Nothing fancy about it.

#33 2 years ago

Just received a plastic from Australia in the Netherlands that I ordered through Pinside shops and I only paid $3,50. Yes it was only a plastic and fit in an envelope but I was really pleased with the shipping costs. It came by airmail from the other side of the Earth!
    I know it must be a hassle for Marco's to deal with international shipping but they must lose a lot of customers because of this.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

You said the mark up was double. I said that in my experience it is not when ordering through Starburst.
    Nothing fancy about it.

Sorry, thought you were questioning the validity of my statement about Marco wanting $105 for shipping on a $250 order. My bad

#35 2 years ago

Sorry, thought you were questioning the validity of my statement about Marco wanting $105 for shipping on a $250 order. My bad

You should also apologize for talking like such a douche bag Mr. Poopy pants

#36 2 years ago

There's more involved than just international shipping costs. Marco is shipping quantities of electronics and mechanical parts internationally. They have to file complex customs paperwork. Smaller business and individuals can get away shipping internationally without worrying about it. The additional expense is in having a third party generate the paperwork. It has to contain detailed information on each individual part being shipped - original origin of manufacture, a standardized code identifying what the product is, a description of what the product is used for, etc. It's a total nightmare.

-E

#37 2 years ago

No worries! We do get hosed on parts and NIB machines up here. Stupid low dollar.

#38 2 years ago

I wonder about something I dont know.

When I shipped Bulbs overseas, it was one line in customs....all the products were the same.

I shipped a Plastic air ball protector with 3 standoffs to Germany, and received it back with customs
    issues, because I didnt make a line entry for the 3 metal standoffs, and of course, and code changes
    for Tariffs on the metal part if needed.

Is it possible....I dont know....that an overseas order with this variety at retail needs each different product to
    have line entries in an export form, code, and what it does for duty and tariffs?
    Does this cost cover these duties?

Just a thought, but even a one piece plastic to Canada is an extra 5 minutes of work i shipping.
    If I have a $50 an hour billable employee, I spend at least $2-$3 to cover this.
    I still receive email as to why I am asking $4.95 for Canada shipping.
    Weird, as if I use Ebay shipping, they want $11 ad change for shipping to Canada...Overcharging?
    or covering customs if there is a question?

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I still receive email as to why I am asking $4.95 for Canada shipping.

Really?

The hobby really needs to take steps to ban any dolt taking issue with a $4.95 Canada shipping charge.

#40 2 years ago

you have 8 legs in that order and who know what else, thats a heavy order. No wonder its high.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

No worries! We do get hosed on parts and NIB machines up here. Stupid low dollar.

Getting hosed and being a hoser are not the same tho!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

you have 8 legs in that order and who know what else, thats a heavy order. No wonder its high.

8 fairly heavy legs at close to 30 inches long, that will never be inexpensive to ship.

#43 2 years ago

I had a rather larger order with MARCO. Shipping with IGlobal was crazy so I contacted MARCO and they shipped it themselves for more than 60% less. So maybe try contacting them before paying??? Worked for me.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Really?
    The hobby really needs to take steps to ban any dolt taking issue with a $4.95 Canada shipping charge.

I get excited seeing international shipping for ANYTHING to me for the low price of $4.95

#45 2 years ago

legs were the heaviest items, rest were switches, plastics, rubbers. It still doesn't justify the high shipping.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You should also apologize for talking like such a douche bag Mr. Poopy pants

Clearly this has nothing to do with you and everything is cool between smokedog and myself so not sure why you feel the need to troll. Unless you have something worth sharing about Marco's shipping, the topic of this thread, I suggest you just keep quiet.

#46 2 years ago

legs were the heaviest items, rest were switches, plastics, rubbers. It still doesn't justify the high shipping.

yeah, it easily justifies the shipping both due to weight and dimensions.

#47 2 years ago

yeah, it easily justifies the shipping both due to weight and dimensions.

I have had an entire pin shipped for just slightly more than that and close to what they charge as "priority mail" Ontario to Alberta and Nova Scotia to Ontario. Both distances are further to me than Marco and a pin is a lot more "weight and dimensions" compared to 8 legs. It is actually cheaper to ship from Europe and China than Marco. Just double that cost and it was the cost to ship a full sized multicade cab to my house from the US. Sorry I still cant see the justification for 8 legs being $105 US ( $145 CAN) for shipping.

#48 2 years ago

Just out of curiosity, I quoted how much shipping 8 legs to Canada would be from Pinball Life, just to compare. This is what I got. I don't think you can compare shipping inside Canada with shipping US to Canada.

Unless there is someone shipping 8 legs for 1/2 the price to Canada, then they're just expensive to ship.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 5.11.24 PM (resized).png

#49 2 years ago

I have had an entire pin shipped for just slightly more than that and close to what they charge as "priority mail" Ontario to Alberta and Nova Scotia to Ontario. Both distances are further to me than Marco and a pin is a lot more "weight and dimensions" compared to 8 legs. It is actually cheaper to ship from Europe and China than Marco. Just double that cost and it was the cost to ship a full sized multicade cab to my house from the US. Sorry I still cant see the justification for 8 legs being $105 US ( $145 CAN) for shipping.

the full pin is shipped differently. Likely on a pallet, you also aren't talking about international shipping. The fact you can't see the justification does not mean its not real. Try working in trucking and see what the costs are. If you fill a semi its cheap, LTL is $$$$$ though.

#50 2 years ago

Pretty sure the pinball legs and other parts came by air.. a full pinball machine wrapped up on a pallet probably did not travel to Canada via an airplane. How is this so confusing?!?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 11.95
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 59.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside