Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Heretic_9
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you ship your Pinball”

• I use NAVL (North American Van Lines) 30 votes
      46%
    • I use a Freight Company 7 votes
      11%
    • I usually Fill up the Tank and get ready for a long drive. 22 votes
      34%
    • Other 6 votes
      9%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4911 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4880 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4883 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6966 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6963 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6962 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6961 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6957 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6960 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6955 (resized).JPG
    a842acb24.jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 13 years ago

Wow. Residential to Residential (LTL) shipping with NAVL is RAPE these days.
    Any one have a good method to ship Pins beside NAVL let me know.
    I got a quote for nearly $460.72 to ship a Pinball Machine 812 miles. It used to be 300-350

Any body use Uship.com ? I hear if you use a reputable company that its not so bad.
    Ive bought arcade cabinets before using R and L freight.

Its difficult for most to mount to crate so it really gets expensive to use NAVL's Blanket wrap service.

#2 13 years ago

That seems real high to me. I have used yellow transport and works out for me because their depot is a few miles from me. They do not prep or crate anything, so that is up to someone on shipping end. The people I have dealt with would not mind palletizing as long as I paid for their effort. 50 $ or so .....Always worked out for me.

#3 13 years ago

I wish more sellers would be willing to pallet/crate. It would certainly save on the shipping.

Shipping Freight can save about $100-150

But please be aware that Freight companies do have a down side....
    Freight companies make it almost impossible to get your insurance claim through.
    I have tried on a couple occasions while shipping arcade cabinets (non Pinball)
    that Freight companies send you through so many hoops only to send you right back to the beginning.
    No body helps you, they just keep routing you through the channels round and round.

Things to consider that I have learned... NAVL does pay off on insurance.

So keep that in mind if your shipping a very expensive game. Sometimes shipping NAVL is a better way to go, (if your shipping a Medieval Madness or something rare and expensive)
    But... insurance through NAVL only covers $1500 in damage. If you want more coverage it costs Nearly $40 to cover items above $1500 and I was never told the limits of the coverage that I would receive for the extra $40. I was just trying to Insure for $2500 and it was going to cost $40 extra.

I was told by Michelle at NAVL that if you live in large cities or have shipping to a commercial location then the price can be lower. In my case the only place I could receive shipment was at my residence.

I would like to ship Freight and just hoped members here could chime in and share their shipping methods.

Heres the right way to ship Freight IMO...........

http://flic.kr/p/9hLhSo

#4 13 years ago

great topic. thank you for posting.

i have been calling around lately to try and figure out the best means to ship a pin.

the insurance is a big issue.

r and l offers 10 cents per pound insurance then you need to go to the third-party insurer such as insureyourfreight.com. never dealt with insureyourfreight.com. has anyone? how does that work?

what does each shipping company actually cover for insurace?

why can't these shipping companies just insure the product like ups, fedex or usps?

yellow seems all right, yet, it is an ltl. how is pilot air and forward air?

#5 13 years ago

I drive, have every other week off so I can take my time.
    Saves a lot of cash.

#6 13 years ago

We live out in the sticks and have had mixed luck with random carriers. From now on I will only use NAVL to ship long distance and pay the extra if its too far to drive. Be warned!

#7 13 years ago

What Freight Companys have you used?

I have used R and L Freight for shipping Arcade Cabinets without Issues.

2 years later
    #8 10 years ago

I know this is an old topic but I work for a logistics company and our rates are very good if any of you are interested. You can contact me here or [email protected]. I heard that NAVL had gone up and I was talking with Seth at All You Can Arcade and he confirmed...liked our rates.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from AcademyDL:

Matthew Torgersen
    Office: (877) 331-5123 (x112)
    Fax: (801) 936-0962
    Email: [email protected]
    Falo Português

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from AcademyDL:

I had to quick using R and L because there would damage stuff and refuse to pay. I ship alot of stuff so I deal with a lot of claims, but as long as the damage is notated before signing off I have a pretty good track record of getting Claims through. But I have found R and L to be the Worse in paying by FAR.

#11 10 years ago

So far, I've done this twice, both times using NAVL. Good results in each case. Strangely enough, doing this coast to coast was only about $50. more than shipping a few counties over, in-state. Go figure. But I wanted to have it done by pros with a considerable track record. It's not cheap, but I thought it was necessary. Full value insurance is highly recommended.

#12 10 years ago

I own a logistics business and I do not recommend that you use traditional LTL (less-than-truckload) carriers unless the pin is well crated. Carriers such as NAVL offer "white glove service" and that is what you need to use for delicate cargo such as a pin.

With a regular LTL carrier, the two most common problems I see are (1) damage caused by forklift and (2) crushed packaging caused by having something heavy stacked on top of it (and they will stack freight no matter what labels are on it...they need to in order to maximize revenues). These are two things you definitely do not want to subject your pin to.

As for claims, read the fine print. Most carriers limit their liability for used goods from anywhere between $0.10 to $1.00 per pound. And even when you do get increased coverage, they will give you a hard time for any concealed damage claims (damage to the internals if there's no sign of damage to the outer packaging). The reason they'll most likely cite is that the damage was caused by improper packaging.

I have yet to use NAVL personally, but I've heard good things about them. If I were to ever ship a pin, I would pay the extra $ for NAVL's white glove treatment. We handle thousands of LtL shipments each month for commercial clients, but we would turn down any request to ship a pin because I know what conditions the pin will go through.

#13 10 years ago

good to hear this, using them soon

#14 10 years ago

$400 to ship one pin from NY to MI and it's taken them 6 days. I still don't have the machine. I'm not sure if I ever want to use NAVL again. First and last time. I would have been better off driving 10 hours each way myself. Lesson learned.

#15 10 years ago

Hang in there bud, hopefully it will all turn out ok

#16 10 years ago

I'm in the same boat taco.....I made my phone call to set up a pick up on 7/25. Pick up by 8/2....then that didn't happen. I was told they had some unexpected pick ups along the way and didn't have the room to pick up my order. Then it was scheduled to pick up by 8/9...which it was and deliver last Friday 8/16. I called Wednesday (8/14) to confirm, they said yes. Then I call Friday morning and I'm told now backed out to Tuesday delivery (today). Man I hope it comes today and without damage. Almost a month for delivery.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from rockotaco1:

$400 to ship one pin from NY to MI and it's taken them 6 days.

NAVL is *not* fast. I would not be surprised if it took 2 weeks or more to get from NY to MI. Most of the games I've shipped out went to the eastern half of the US and almost all took 2 weeks or more. It took 3 weeks for one pin to go from Albany, NY to Pittsburgh,PA.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I drive, have every other week off so I can take my time.
    Saves a lot of cash.

So you can drive 800 plus miles and save alot of cash??? If you drive up to 1k miles to pick it up, you will be into it for about the same as shipping it, just in gas alone.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from rockotaco1:

$400 to ship one pin from NY to MI and it's taken them 6 days. I still don't have the machine. I'm not sure if I ever want to use NAVL again. First and last time. I would have been better off driving 10 hours each way myself. Lesson learned.

400$ and hassle may be worth it

1400 miles round trip
    .20 per mile depreciation of your car = $280
    $3.75 per gallon X 20 mpg for trip, 70 gallons of gas = 262.50
    Cheap hotel $55
    Two days of your time in which you could do other family/work things ?

Getting an awsome pinball at a fair deal =. Priceless

#20 10 years ago

If you take a car that is, Most moves need a truck so mpg goes down a little more.

#21 10 years ago

I am paying a little under 400 bucks to have mine travel 900 miles. There is no way I could make that work driving for that price....and that's not counting a vacation day from work. Price is fine, but the wait is killing me...that being said, unless something else comes along that is truely better I will most likely use them again.

#22 10 years ago

I had 2 games shipped cross-country, from CA to MA using NAVL this month. Left CA on a Friday and was delivered to my basement 7 days later. The cost for 1 pin shipped with insurance was a whopping $471. Adding the second game added only $5 to the cost for a total of $476 (so basically a 2 for 1). Needless to say I was completely stressed that whole week, having read horror stories and hoping that a ham fisted f-tard wasn't handling my games. Thankfully they arrived as expected, in great shape without any shipping damage .

#23 10 years ago

They wanted $80 more to add a pin onto mine. I guess I just expected the whole navl process to be a bit cheaper and faster than I always thought it would be over the years. Times have changed I guess.

#24 10 years ago

I have used Pilot Air in the past quite a bit but last I knew they were requiring a full crate for pin shipments. Heck, back around 2000, Pilot Air used to charge about $125 for a sea to shining sea shipment.

NOTE: This is terminal to terminal shipping. IE, you have to drive to your nearest terminal, usually a large airport, and pick the thing up with a truck that reach standard dock heights. Some Pilot Air terminals have a short dock that will fit SUV heights, not all though.

#25 10 years ago

NAVL=$1500. Insurance included. $10 additional for every extra $1000. ($40 minimum additional)

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

NAVL=$1500. Insurance included. $10 additional for every extra $1000. ($40 minimum additional)

?

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

Matthew Torgersen
    Office: (877) 331-5123 (x112)
    Fax: (801) 936-0962
    Email: [email protected]
    Falo Português

I was just about to post Matts info... he is awesome, got me the best rate from California to Michigan (Terminal to Terminal) Under $300

#28 10 years ago

With NAVL white glove service you still need to pack it up?
    I just got a quote of $366.40 from Chicago to DC from Michele...

#29 10 years ago

NAVL's white glove service means they'll take your pin, with the legs *on*, and wrap blankets around it and then move it across the country like that.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've had to repair enough leg bolt plates and separating corners that I would NEVER want to see a pin shipped that way.

If you're going to strap a pin up, legs off, sitting on a pallet, you're already most of the way to prepping it for regular LTL freight shippers.

#30 10 years ago

i never used them, a high dallor machine coast to cost maybe there worth it. but most machines can be found with in a state or two away and picked up in person which is by far the best IMO.
    real high end machine, or collector qual / investment stuff?, 400 or what ever is not much money and no big deal to thoses types anyways.

why i pick up
    you test it befor you load it, you carefully breakdown (a lot of people surprising have machine they never broke down befor) load it because you truely care about it more than anyone eles will, you drive carefully down the best maintain roads at resonable speed.
    plus the little things you meet the owner, learn history of particular machine, and make new network contacts for furture.

i drive a v6 van- holds 4 machines easy, so usually do mult machines in one run- medium grade machine to justfi going and restoration or em units, that can be had very reaasonable and would never be woth shipping or the fuel alone.... works for me

#31 10 years ago

Mass to NJ: navl, door to door ,insured for 1600 ,was $357 (they bubble wrap it etc).. freightwire door to door was $440.(they dont prep anything.and not insured, i dont believe). matt (FW) is usually less.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

NAVL's white glove service means they'll take your pin, with the legs *on*, and wrap blankets around it and then move it across the country like that.
    I don't know about the rest of you but I've had to repair enough leg bolt plates and separating corners that I would NEVER want to see a pin shipped that way.
    If you're going to strap a pin up, legs off, sitting on a pallet, you're already most of the way to prepping it for regular LTL freight shippers.

good point, stuff like this, shiping with the legs on? (i would not do that) it's not the greatest on the machine, leaving the balls in- improppper packaging- break 1 backglass your wish you just went and got it your self-

#33 10 years ago

I use a freight carrier. Just get insurance and you will be fine. LTL is the way to go if the seller can put it on a pallet.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

I was just about to post Matts info... he is awesome, got me the best rate from California to Michigan (Terminal to Terminal) Under $300

I still feed all of my quotes through Matt. If you quote something out on http://CoinOpShippers.com, it's going to Matt. I don't even do anything with shipping anymore, but I've left the site up and all the forms forward to Freightwire. I'm glad to hear that he's still doing well on rates, even though they did go up a bit.

Man, I remember the days of $200 door to door rates.

#35 10 years ago

I just had a pin shipped for the 1st time, NAVL. My Tommy was $400 to get it roughly 1k miles to my place, & also I live 2.5 hours away from any major city. Between that & current gas prices I can't say I was too shocked at that quote. Then insurance on a game of that value was like $36. This was the end of June when I called them.
    Insurance never had to be used though, the game came in good shape & was well protected.

#36 10 years ago

Have dealt with R & L five times from out west to Detroit. Things were completely destroyed each time. As far as I know the insurance claims were processed (seller handled the shipping and insurance); but, I understood from a few of them that the money they got was significantly let than the insurance value.

Have used NAVL 11 times with no problems whatsoever....

3 years later
    #37 7 years ago

Matthew Torgersen isn't at Freightwire anymore. I spoke to Jared instead 801-335-6471. $365 LTL from GA to PA.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atebit:

Matthew Torgersen isn't at Freigtwire anymore. I spoke to Jared instead 801-335-6471. $365 LTL from GA to PA.

The last post in this thread/discussion was three years ago.

FWIW, I've used Beltmann with STI recently and enjoyed the experience without breaking the bank (well, arguable, hah) for a cross-country game shipment.

#39 7 years ago

STI was $540 from northern California to south of Miami. 1.5 months to deliver. 18 wheeler rolled over and damaged the game. STI contacted me. Game finally gets delivered tomorrow and I can asses the damage and whether or not I will accept the shipment.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

STI was $540 from northern California to south of Miami. 1.5 months to deliver. 18 wheeler rolled over and damaged the game. STI contacted me. Game finally gets delivered tomorrow and I can asses the damage and whether or not I will accept the shipment.

What terrible luck! I can only imagine how bad the damage will be. 1000-1 you'll have to reject it.

#41 7 years ago

I have used Pilot freight multiple times, never had a problem and haft the price of NAVL. They place it on a pallet for you at no charge but the are terminal to terminal only. No door to door like NAVL.
    http://www.pilotdelivers.com/

#42 7 years ago

STI doesn't deliver in an 18 wheeler. The machines I've recieved came in a box truck with a lift. Very profesional. Love their service. Usually, a semi with a trailer will not deliver to a residential area. Especially with something as small as a pinball machine.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

STI doesn't deliver in an 18 wheeler. The machines I've recieved came in a box truck with a lift. Very profesional. Love their service. Usually, a semi with a trailer will not deliver to a residential area. Especially with something as small as a pinball machine.

I've used STI many times. No they don't deliver to your house with an 18 wheeler, but they do transport across the country that way.

Pilot Air also not an option based on where the seller lived and where I live.

#44 7 years ago

FWIW, both STI and RL Carriers always roll right up to my front door in an 18-wheeler. Always been a good experience with both. YMMV.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

I've used STI many times. No they don't deliver to your house with an 18 wheeler, but they do transport across the country that way.
    Pilot Air also not an option based on where the seller lived and where I live.

I have used them twice. Both times it was an 18 wheeler with a lift on the back. Both times they asked at the time I setup the shipment if they could fit an 18 wheeler there too.

#46 7 years ago

I've had pins shipped via NAVL and they know how to take good care of a machine, but after my last experience I'm focusing my searches to a drivable range so I can pick them up myself.

After I worked out all the details and confirmed everything with him, the seller REFUSED to meet the shippers when they arrived on the day. NAVL then offered to schedule a special late pickup (after 4pm) for an extra $100. Rather than arguing, I paid it, but the email confirmation and invoice both showed that the game was picked up at 11am.

I asked for a $100 refund and was told that they'd "look into it."

9 months later I'm still waiting and don't expect a response.

#47 7 years ago

Needless to say, I rejected the delivery and a claim has been filed.

IMG_6955 (resized).JPGIMG_6955 (resized).JPG

IMG_6960 (resized).JPGIMG_6960 (resized).JPG

IMG_6957 (resized).JPGIMG_6957 (resized).JPG

IMG_6961 (resized).JPGIMG_6961 (resized).JPG

IMG_6962 (resized).JPGIMG_6962 (resized).JPG

IMG_6963 (resized).JPGIMG_6963 (resized).JPG

IMG_6966 (resized).JPGIMG_6966 (resized).JPG

#48 7 years ago

They just picked up a game from me today, I hope it makes it to its new home undamaged!

#49 7 years ago

I'm not bitching as long as they take care of me. From what I was told, strong winds rolled the tractor trailer and claims contacted me immediately.

#50 7 years ago

Oh I hope so.....umm
    The whole shipping on legs thing. What makes anybody think they have pinball dollies? Two guys are supposed to hump this thing in and out of truck? Depending on distance they move off and on trucks 3 times.
    Sorry true, shipped over 40 pins.
    I choose to remain silent on all carriers mentioned in thread. No one is 100% in my book.
    Although packing job above is pretty good, better than I've seen a few times.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-body-use-navl-northa-amercian-van-lines-lately-shipping-is-expensive-ltl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.