You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160924_153628 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160924_153626 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160924_153428 (resized).jpg
fff834dad2b0b9dbdbc8d1e0cab006d0 (resized).jpg
63000158 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

TV's are so cheap to buy now I wouldn't even attempt to fix one.

so if you had say a higher end $2,000 TV that was say 4 years old, rather than spend $25 for parts and an hour or so to try to fix it, you wouldn't even bother, but just toss it out?

So based on that, I assume when you have a power supply board go bad in one of your machines, you just toss that board and buy a new one vs replacing caps and bridge rectifiers or even sending it out for repair.

I guess we all choose how to spend our time and money.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To the OP, don't trust a youtube video for car or appliance repair. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.....

I have troubleshot and fixed dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and TVs based on youtube videos. More often than not, it has been a $10 to $25 part and an hour of time to save two, three or even four hundred dollars. While there are some things I won't attempt, it has been surprising how easy it has been to troubleshoot and fix some of these issues.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

had this happen on our TV

Have this right now, frequent rebooting when first turning on. Common issue with bad power supplies, ordered the caps and FETS needed to fix it, but will live with the issues until after expo. For kicks I called the place I bought it, they offered me a deal, only $200 plus parts to come out and fix it. Considering parts would be a new board, since not like they would actuall fix the board (which they acknowledged), actual cost would likely be over $400. Even if I was just swapping in a new one, and not going to try to fix the board, $200 to open it up and swap a board with a few cables, no fracking way

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If it is a bad capacitor it is worth it. If you have to guess by trouble shooting boards or taking it to a repairman,

to me it is always worth the shot, if you are going to throw it out, might as well at least try. Had a TV crap out, and it was 10 years old at that point, so decided to just ditch it and buy new. Was talking to a buddy and describing the issue and he said it is 'likely just x, try doing y it will take two minutes and see if that fixes it', tried it that night and it fixed it. Still got he new TV, but now that the old one was working was able to sell it for a few bucks.

No doubt we live in a world of disposal stuff. Hard to believe there used to be repair shops on the corner that would fix toasters, blenders and vacuums. Of course that stuff was made to last for years and years. I still have a blender that belonged to my mom and it is probably close to 50 years old, and it still works great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-body-know-about-fixing-tvs?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.