Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160924_153628 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160924_153626 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160924_153428 (resized).jpg
fff834dad2b0b9dbdbc8d1e0cab006d0 (resized).jpg
63000158 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My TV's color went all crazy, solarised I think is the term. I replaced the t con board but the picture is still shit and snowy now which it wasn't before. Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

What prompted you to replace th "t CON" board? Make, model and size/ type might help here ( crt, plasma or lcd). Sony analog teevees have some different circuitry and different gun CONfiguration.
What kind of test equipment and knowledge do you have?
These aren't pinball machines.....

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

What prompted you to replace th "tcon" board? Make, model and size/ type might help here ( crt, plasma or lcd).
What kind of test equipment and k owledge do you have?
These aren't pinball machines.....

Uh, don't you mean the tCON board?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Uh, don't you mean the tCON board?

Good catch. Fixed it.

#5 7 years ago

I replaced the tCON board because the first YouTube video I clicked on told me to. I don't know shit about TV's I was just trying to be tech savvy. I figured I have fixed a few minor problems with a pin now and again .. TV ..pin same thing. I will post some details of the TV in the morning it's 1am here and I need to crash out. Thanks guys.

To be continued......

#6 7 years ago

TV's are so cheap to buy now I wouldn't even attempt to fix one.

#7 7 years ago

generally its better just to buy a new TV, but i've fixed a few for people anyways. Make and model would be nice info to have

#8 7 years ago

I hate to say it but you're probably wasting your time and money. Just get a new one, TVs these days aren't designed to be fixed. I have an old CRT I fixed and beyond by upgrading the signal input to RGB for games. Best mod ever.

#9 7 years ago

We just take all the tubes down to the electronic store and plug them into the tube tester. Whichever ones are bad we replace and that usually fixes the problem.

#10 7 years ago

63000158 (resized).jpg63000158 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We just take all the tubes down to the electronic store and plug them into the tube tester. Whichever ones are bad we replace and that usually fixes the problem.

I remember those days. I am glad for those that are younger and never had to experience such unreliability.

I also remember the numerous times we were stuck in a parking lot of a local store while my father worked on getting the car to start.
Thank goodness for fuel injection replacing carburetors and other misc. improvements. Even cars between 10 and 15 years old today are more reliable than 5 year old cars back then.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Heck, the corner drugstore by me had not just a tube tester, but a CoLoR Tube tester.

To the OP, don't trust a youtube video for car or appliance repair. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.....

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Thank goodness for fuel injection replacing carburetors and other misc. improvements. Even cars between 10 and 15 years old today are more reliable now than 5 year old cars back then.

No doubt. At one time I was carburetor king. Meaning I rebuilt almost every carburetor ever made, sometimes two or three in a day. Even those Ford variable venturies. Learned to not even bother with Hondas as they were disposable. Now I just do smog inspections. Did have a 1979 Ferarri with four carbs on it last week and surprisingly it passed.

They actually had the tube tester for TVs at the local drug store and my dad really did fix it...

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

TV's are so cheap to buy now I wouldn't even attempt to fix one.

so if you had say a higher end $2,000 TV that was say 4 years old, rather than spend $25 for parts and an hour or so to try to fix it, you wouldn't even bother, but just toss it out?

So based on that, I assume when you have a power supply board go bad in one of your machines, you just toss that board and buy a new one vs replacing caps and bridge rectifiers or even sending it out for repair.

I guess we all choose how to spend our time and money.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Heck, the corner drugstore by me had not just a tube tester, but a CoLoR Tube tester.

fff834dad2b0b9dbdbc8d1e0cab006d0 (resized).jpgfff834dad2b0b9dbdbc8d1e0cab006d0 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To the OP, don't trust a youtube video for car or appliance repair. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.....

I have troubleshot and fixed dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and TVs based on youtube videos. More often than not, it has been a $10 to $25 part and an hour of time to save two, three or even four hundred dollars. While there are some things I won't attempt, it has been surprising how easy it has been to troubleshoot and fix some of these issues.

#17 7 years ago

I remember going to the local Kmart with my dad so he could test tubes.
We had a huge Magnavox TV/Stereo/Record player console in color and everything!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have troubleshot and fixed dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and TVs based on youtube videos. More often than not, it has been a $10 to $25 part and an hour of time to save two, three or even four hundred dollars. While there are some things I won't attempt, it has been surprising how easy it has been to troubleshoot and fix some of these issues.

Same here. I've repaired a few flat screen TVs. Often for me it's the power supply that simply needs replaced. If you can replace a computer component, you can replace a board on a modern TV.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Glad it has worked out for you. Too bad the op didn't have the same result with the tcon board in his teevee.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

so if you had say a higher end $2,000 TV that was say 4 years old, rather than spend $25 for parts and an hour or so to try to fix it, you wouldn't even bother, but just toss it out?
So based on that, I assume when you have a power supply board go bad in one of your machines, you just toss that board and buy a new one vs replacing caps and bridge rectifiers or even sending it out for repair.

The internet sure makes it easier to diagnose and fix things like this.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Same here. I've repaired a few flat screen TVs. Often for me it's the power supply that simply needs replaced. If you can replace a computer component, you can replace a board on a modern TV.

The capacitors failing on the power boards have been a well-known problem for LCD TV's. They are an easy fix if you know how to solder.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I had this happen on our TV. We bought a Philips 63" plasma when the going rate for them was about $5k. I picked one up for about $2,500 from Sam's Club. About a year into ownership and the TV would all of a sudden shut off and the status LED would flash some code pattern. Turn it on/off a dozen times and it might be fine for a day or two. Repeat this for about the next six months until I decided to open it up. Saw a few capacitors on a couple different boards that had swelled up on one end. Decided to just replace them all (about 8). Removed the old ones, put the new ones in and BINGO! Has been running flawlessly now for about 8 or 9 years now. Total cost was about $20.

I always fix the boards in my games. No Rottendogs in any games. I do replace all the power supply rectifier boards in my classic Sterns as I've repaired them before and it's a waste of time. The original design was junk and the old boards don't really support the upgraded bridges.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The internet sure makes it easier to diagnose and fix things like this.

I fixed my whole house with help from the internet. Stuff I'd never done before like plumbing, new windows, stucco, tiling, entire bathrooms, etc...

I don't pay anybody to do anything I can learn to do myself.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

This is so true. When I was fixing game consoles for a living there was nothing more annoying than some idiot who thought he knew what he was talking about because he saw some BS fix on youtube. Not only that but I can't tell you how many times people made their problems substantially worse if not bricked their stuff all together due to bad info from the internet.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The capacitors failing on the power boards have been a well-known problem for LCD TV's. They are an easy fix if you know how to solder.

Pretty common on Plasmas as well. Fixed a few plasma power boards this way

#26 7 years ago

I had a 2008 Samsung 32" LCD TV that developed the common power supply problems a couple of years ago that cost me $600 when I bought it. Yes, I could have re-capped it, but after finding the cost for the parts, and seeing how much labor it would take to fix it, I opted to buy a new LG 32" for $179, and ended up with a better picture, and a set that weighed less that 10 lbs as opposed to the heavy Samsung beast I had. So you really have to look at what you're getting into if you want to attempt to repair that older set.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

had this happen on our TV

Have this right now, frequent rebooting when first turning on. Common issue with bad power supplies, ordered the caps and FETS needed to fix it, but will live with the issues until after expo. For kicks I called the place I bought it, they offered me a deal, only $200 plus parts to come out and fix it. Considering parts would be a new board, since not like they would actuall fix the board (which they acknowledged), actual cost would likely be over $400. Even if I was just swapping in a new one, and not going to try to fix the board, $200 to open it up and swap a board with a few cables, no fracking way

#28 7 years ago

Depends. I have spent years diagnosing pins digging through RGP looking at what people with similar symptoms did. I have also fixed hp printers using similar methods.

With tvs though the return is just not there. If it is a bad capacitor it is worth it. If you have to guess by trouble shooting boards or taking it to a repairman, it simply is not worth the cost at that point. Electronics are built to be disposable now. In some ways it sucks, but my 3 year old 60 inch plasma that retailed at 1100 has a tough time comparing to a 500 LCD now. If I want to pony up a bit more I go from 1080 to 4k.

#29 7 years ago

I tried to fix my computer that wouldn't boot with help from the internet but that was very difficult...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If it is a bad capacitor it is worth it. If you have to guess by trouble shooting boards or taking it to a repairman,

to me it is always worth the shot, if you are going to throw it out, might as well at least try. Had a TV crap out, and it was 10 years old at that point, so decided to just ditch it and buy new. Was talking to a buddy and describing the issue and he said it is 'likely just x, try doing y it will take two minutes and see if that fixes it', tried it that night and it fixed it. Still got he new TV, but now that the old one was working was able to sell it for a few bucks.

No doubt we live in a world of disposal stuff. Hard to believe there used to be repair shops on the corner that would fix toasters, blenders and vacuums. Of course that stuff was made to last for years and years. I still have a blender that belonged to my mom and it is probably close to 50 years old, and it still works great.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

my 3 year old 60 inch plasma that retailed at 1100 has a tough time comparing to a 500 LCD now. If I want to pony up a bit more I go from 1080 to 4k.

I have a 2008 and a 2010 Samsung plasma and honestly they still compare very favorably to newer LCDs. Now a 4K with 4K content? No, but I own newer 1080P LCDs as well and I prefer the plasmas. I've had to repair both. The 2008 had a surface mount chip on the input board go bad. Guy on ebay fixed it for $40. On the 2010 whites started going kinda pinkish purple. All it needed was a voltage adjustment as they were set too low at the factory to meet some kind of energy star rating.

Real good site for DIY TV repair....

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php

#32 7 years ago

Sorry about the late reply it's a Philips no 37ta2800 37" lcd

#33 7 years ago

IMG_20160924_153428 (resized).jpgIMG_20160924_153428 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160924_153626 (resized).jpgIMG_20160924_153626 (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

This is it now with the tCON replaced. Blue screens not too bad bit dodgy in the corners. Pictures color is off and snowy. Before I replaced the tCON it was typical solarization crazy color no snow

#35 7 years ago

IMG_20160924_153628 (resized).jpgIMG_20160924_153628 (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

I had a Sony 46" TV with the exact same problem. The root cause was me flipping some breakers off and on at the main panel. I tried to diagnose the problem for months but could never sort it out. TV got recycled. The new TVs are total crap and not designed to last much more than 5 years.

#37 7 years ago

Wait so switching breakers on unrelated circuits damaged your TV? Seriously?

#38 7 years ago

I replaced the caps on my 2006 1080p Samsung about 4 years ago. It has performed flawlessly ever since. The color quality on this tv still shines and I can hook up almost anything to it.

#39 7 years ago

Is that a CRT/DLP projection or flat panel? Guessing flat panel since you said 1080p.

#40 7 years ago

I'm not sure a 37" Philips is worth much effort. In a little over a month should be able to grab a 42" for ~$100 with pre-Black Friday sales.

#41 7 years ago

I know it's probably not worth it, the board including postage was over $100. I just don't want to cave to this trow away society. I will look at caps and then probably quit but I tried.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I tried to fix my computer that wouldn't boot with help from the internet but that was very difficult...

Did you try the "Any" Button?

#43 7 years ago

Does the TV menu have snow? How did the menu look with the original tCON board? Was the board a used pull or brand new?

#44 7 years ago

Brand new, all snow. No snow with the old tCON

#45 7 years ago

Haven't swapped the old one back in to see if this is still the case. I will before I give up

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-body-know-about-fixing-tvs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.