800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1213 1 year ago

My family wants to start getting in to board games. What do you all think about Return to Dark Tower? Easy enough to learn how to play for beginners? We would play that game with another couple.

At $200 I’m just wanting to make sure it’s okay as my first modern board game and won’t be so complicated we can’t pick it up with other novice players.

#1216 1 year ago

Friends are also total novices…all four of us nothing more than 80’s games before but want to learn modern board games. What are some good beginner games for us to also buy?

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I think Settlers of Catan or Dominion would be excellent choices, both considered adult board game classics I think.

Will these games help prepare us for the more complex games like Return to Dark Tower?

#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Anyways, shoot us back with what you're looking for in a game and we can probably narrow things down a bit, as there is a huge variety in the board game market right now. Theme is a big one, so if there is something you all are into, let us know, because there is a board game on just about anything these days (from quilting, to movies, to bad dates).

We are two middle aged married couples, all four of us are total board games novices. The most colllex game I ever really got in to was Axis and Allies. The other three of our little group were your stand monopoly clue fair. All four of us are eager though.

Theme wise: knights and dragons or future sci-fi space stuff would be great. One or the other would do equally as well. We are pretty flexible though. I saw that Alice in Wonderland kickstarter game, that would be perfect for us but looks even more complicated than Dark Tower.

Playing with each other cooperatively would likely be preferable to being opponents…but we would not say no entirely to a more adverse game (but co-op to start). The key is a game that is relatively easy to learn…all four of us pick up on things pretty quickly but we are worried about being overwhelmed.

We do have access to Jodester and he is a very advanced board game player and friends with all four of us. We could probably talk him into helping us learn something one evening to launch this project. I’ve linked him to the thread and asked him to opine as well.

#1225 1 year ago

By the way, I really appreciate all of the advice. Thank you all.

#1231 1 year ago

This commentary and these suggestions have been incredibly helpful. We did order a Return to Dark a Tower (we wanted to get one while they were available) but are going to start with one or two of these other games. I’m going to get with Jodester and see what he would recommend and then visit with our other couple friends and then order something. I will be reporting back our progress back to this thread as we start this new side hobby.

#1237 1 year ago

I hopped in on the kickstarter for The Zone. It’s delivery is a way out still. I bought mostly for the artwork as I couldn’t really tell what the rules were going to be like at all. It was cheap.

Anyway, I have linked the other couple we are going to play these games with to this thread and we are going to discuss it and the suggestions in here this weekend and make some decisions. Interestingly, they just bought their second pinball machine (a GOTG pro). I haven’t visited with Jodester yet but I’m sure he is going to have a lot of input as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.