800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skink91.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#829 3 years ago

Any Vital Lacerda fans on here?

3 weeks later
#840 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I finally got a copy of Wingspan last week.

I have played it twice now as well. Really sort of pleasant game? Ha. Seems like the best word to me. Fun but relaxing too. The production is great too, really nice components.

Sort of want to eat those eggs though...

#842 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

In fact, my girlfriend and I will be playing Viticulture this evening. Definitely, one of our favorites.

It is a great one, especially with the Tuscany expansion.

#843 3 years ago

I just got Maracaibo the other day as well. It is Alexander Pfister’s latest, but still haven’t played it yet. Have heard very good things though and have liked everything else I have played of his (Great Western Trail, Mombasa, Isle of Skye)

#845 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve always wanted to play Great Western Trail. Do you really like it?

I like Mombasa better, but GWT is great.

#850 3 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

I am a huge Vital fan, he might be my favorite designer along with the Mindclash crew since Trickerion is my favorite game. I have been enjoying On Mars, Gallerist and Lisboa quite a bit. I backed Kanban EV and can’t wait to get that to the table.

At last! I was worried no one else had played anything of his on here.

I also backed Kanban EV. I have all of his games, but still haven’t got On Mars, Escape Plan, or CO2 to the table. For me Lisboa > Vinhos > Gallerist so far.

Not familiar with Mindclash/Trickerion... will have to look into them.

4 months later
#885 3 years ago

Tried playing Maracaibo yesterday. After over an hour of trying to figure out 3 players first turns we packed it up.

Looks fun, and understood many of the mechanisms... but the rulebook was really poorly laid out IMO. I will try again someday when I am more highly caffeinated perhaps but it was pretty frustrating to not even be able to make it through a single round.

Anyone else played it?

3 weeks later
#913 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I don’t recommend Munchkin Dungeon.

The first time I played Munchkin with family I vowed I would never play it again.

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Has anyone played this one? Is it any fun? Target included this in a curbside pickup order a couple weeks ago, even though we did not order nor pay for it. They won't let us return it either. It says 3-6 players. Could a 2 player game work?

2 player won’t work because one player will end up being a ‘traitor’. I have it, and it has some cool aspects to it... but never bring it to the table anymore because the itches it scratches are done better in other games.

1 week later
#936 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

How do you guys convince your entire "WE DON'T LIKE BOARD GAMES" family, to actually play board games.

Different board games are fun (or not fun) to different people for different reasons and sometimes for very different reasons. Look at some things they do enjoy (e.g. tactile, puzzle-solving, trading, building, etc.) and try matching up game mechanisms to those things. As an example, I have a niece who has some almost crippling OCD sensitivity to textures and got her Azul because I thought she might like the feeling of the pieces (success!). I also thought a couple other family members would like the barter/trading aspect of Bohnanza... also success.

#939 3 years ago
Quoted from GolfKill:

Not everyone has the mentality to enjoy (or even to grasp the more complex rules of the heavier ones) gaming.

Yeah, gaming should be fun... and most people are just not gonna find a good chunky thinker as a good time (I love a good Lacerda myself).

#948 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Taking suggestions for similar engine-builders.

For lighter engine-builders: Splendor and Century:Spice Road. For a little heavier: Terraforming Mars and Keyflower.

#953 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Terraforming Mars is as good as it’s reputation. I think it’s medium weight. It’s not that bad to set up and learn, especially with the help of YouTube these days. I say go for it. It’s a good solo game as well.

I agree with this. Setup is not bad for TM. One other thing that I do like about Wingspan that TM shares is the amount of in-game variability due to the sheer number of cards and how different they are. This makes one game to the next very different experiences and removes samey-ness.

I do have a couple criticisms of TM: the quality of the box and cards don’t match the price, it really needs overlays for the player boards (to prevent cubes from sliding around), and the text on some of the cards is really small (some people whose eyesight isn’t great have trouble with it.)

1 month later
#990 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I have games unopened I'm just not motivated to play and learn.

It was the same for me. At some point I was just buying everything that BGG had in their top 100 or new from a designer I liked (and that list kept growing). Eventually I had the same realization you mentioned and almost totally shut down my buying.

1 month later
#999 3 years ago

Looking forward to giving this a play today (latest puzzly filler from Vital Lacerda that I just got via Kickstarter)

67AFD78A-B836-4D05-8E06-4C7DA353D40F (resized).jpeg67AFD78A-B836-4D05-8E06-4C7DA353D40F (resized).jpeg
#1000 3 years ago

I managed to get a vaxx appointment this week... am really hoping to get some game nights with friends to start removing my ‘wall of shame’ games (never been played / some still wrapped... currently 44 games ).

C37ED5EB-648F-40AA-9DE8-E3AA78F75D52 (resized).jpegC37ED5EB-648F-40AA-9DE8-E3AA78F75D52 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#1017 2 years ago

Last game I played was the new Terraforming Mars: Ares Expedition. Basically they stripped down the game to the engine building, and you can play it in just over an hour.

4 months later
#1037 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Looks like a lot of my Kickstarters are going to miss this year and probably arrive in March. Blessing in disguise I think as I start to dig into my shelf of shame. Of course the lack of the new ones arriving had me digging through the rankings and picking up a couple that I missed. Mara Caibo is one that I glossed over before but really like it now. Also looking at the updated release of Champions of Midgard. Got room now for my game table so going to set up some single player games on that over the winter.

The Hamburg/Amsterdam (Stefan Feld) Kickstarter is the only one I have going right now… and that feels like a cluster F. Had wanted to get the original Bruges/Macao games for years but never found them so was hoping Queen games would knock this out of the park. Will never do another kickstarter from them again.

10 months later
#1226 1 year ago

I think some great less difficult / more accessible games (that I still enjoy now and then) are Al Hambra, Splendor, Sagrada, Azul, Century, Isle of Skye, Carcassonne. If you haven’t played Pandemic, I would add that to the list too. Wingspan is a little more involved, but still not difficult and very fun. That middle area difficulty unlocks all kind of fantastic ones… get there!

#1232 1 year ago

In my opinion TigerLaw the most important thing is that the entire group is enjoying themselves… a game can be the greatest ever made, but if even one out of four people is bored/frustrated/pissed/etc. ain’t nobody happy. Figuring out what scratches everybody in your playgroup’s itch is the toughest part of the equation… and add to that the fact that people’s tastes change as they experience more games (getting tired of and hungry for different things).

Make sure everyone feels comfortable expressing how they actually feel about what you’re playing (and want to play) so there is no ‘obligation playing’ and you’ll all have a better time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skink91.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=skink91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.