800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider refugenate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#301 6 years ago

Got my 7th Continent last week...the only problem is Gloomhaven won’t let me stop playing it. Huge dilemma. Love me some board games. Should I back Fireball Island?

1 week later
#312 5 years ago

I gave in too....all in on Fireball Island. Did anyone else back Western Legends? I am super excited for that game.

1 month later
#373 5 years ago

I own Trickerion and absolutely love the game. It is one of my top 3 games of all time. The theme is amazing, and if you like thinky, worker placement games you will enjoy it. The new expansion is an “insta” back for me and if you don’t own the original, the collectors edition is a great deal. I paid close to that for original game on Board game geek because I didn’t know about the game the first time it was on Kickstarter. The game can be on the longer side but the moves are so interesting, and it’s fun getting all the items necessary to learn and perform your magic tricks. After you are done playing, you always find yourself thinking about how you can play differently the next time. In my opinion it’s a must have. But so is Gloomhaven

5 months later
#522 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Looking for some board games to get my wife for xmas. Gloomhaven and Scythe are mentioned a lot. A good avenue to go? We have Settlers of Catan, Smallworld, ticket to ride, dominion, splendor, 7 wonders. a few others. Seems like gloomhaven and Scythe are a bit different from that set?

I think you should consider “Orleans” for your wife. It’s a great Euro, super easy to learn but lots of choices in the game. It’s a “bag builder” game where you are pulling out different workers from your bag and placing them on different actions on your board. It’s my wife’s favorite game and we have played it the most of all of our games.

3 months later
#593 5 years ago

Anyone played Feudum? Thoughts?

1 year later
#849 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Any Vital Lacerda fans on here?

I am a huge Vital fan, he might be my favorite designer along with the Mindclash crew since Trickerion is my favorite game. I have been enjoying On Mars, Gallerist and Lisboa quite a bit. I backed Kanban EV and can’t wait to get that to the table.

#851 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

At last! I was worried no one else had played anything of his on here.
I also backed Kanban EV. I have all of his games, but still haven’t got On Mars, Escape Plan, or CO2 to the table. For me Lisboa > Vinhos > Gallerist so far.
Not familiar with Mindclash/Trickerion... will have to look into them.

I don’t have all his games, missing CO2 and escape plan. Although I have played escape plan here is my current order. Lisboa>The Gallerist>On Mars>Vinhos>Escape Plan. I think Kanban will be up in the top 3 at the end of the day. Please check out Mindclash Games, they are right up there with Lacerda’s games. Trickerion if you like a Magician theme (it’s the movie Prestige as a board game) and also check out Anachrony, time travel goodness.

4 months later
#886 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Tried playing Maracaibo yesterday. After over an hour of trying to figure out 3 players first turns we packed it up.
Looks fun, and understood many of the mechanisms... but the rulebook was really poorly laid out IMO. I will try again someday when I am more highly caffeinated perhaps but it was pretty frustrating to not even be able to make it through a single round.
Anyone else played it?

I love Maracaibo! I never try and learn the game with the other players there. Try to be as prepared as possible before you play. I recommend watching a “how to play” video on YouTube and/watch a little bit of a playthrough to get familiar with the game. I like “Jon Gets Games”, he does a 3 player game of Maracaibo and it was super helpful before I started. Also, you can try playing the solo mode to get familiar with the game before you teach it to others. Rule books can be tough sometimes, we have all been there. Once you get the first few turns under your belt it will mostly make sense. The game is amazing IMO. Good luck!

3 weeks later
#906 3 years ago

Played a lot of Everdell and Rococo Deluxe this past week. My Vital Lacerda “Kanban Ev” Kickstarter showed up today, looking forward to making some cars.

11 months later
#1041 2 years ago

I am waiting for my Kickstarter version of Merchants of the Dark Road. Game looks incredible with all the deluxified goodness. Hopefully gets here in before the end of the year.

7 months later
#1155 1 year ago

I also have the Mayday crokinole board and agree it is good for a starter. I had no idea I was going to like it as much as I do. Everyone I introduce crokinole to, they are immediately hooked. Might be time to look into these Tracey boards so I can step up my game!

4 months later
#1262 1 year ago

I have the E.T. game and enjoy playing it with my family. It's a fun cooperative game with some cool mechanics like the kids can join up (link bikes together) and move each other. I think it captures the thematic scene of when the kids are on bikes riding around being chased by the cops. The game is a bit fiddly and takes a little bit to get used to the turn structure but we enjoy it. The Funko games are pretty good in general.....I think Back to the Future Back in Time game by Funko is my favorite if you are a BTTF fan. The Goonies Funko game is more of a dungeon crawler type game that I think they missed the mark on but we still love the theme and my kids enjoy that one too.

9 months later
#1409 7 months ago
Quoted from Groo:

Getting back into the board game "season" shortly. Seems like spring and summer slow down the board game plays a lot, but then pick up in fall/winter. Looks like at least half of my still open kickstarters should be showing up in the next month as well, so going to be a lot of activity. Swapped out my organizer for Frosthaven as well to make that a little more accessible to set up and finish that campaign. Anybody got a KS or new release coming up they are excited for?

I am waiting on a few Kickstarters that should be fulfilling soon. Age of Comics (worker placement about making comic books in the 60's), Unconscious Minds, Arborea and Dice Cards. I still have a bunch of games I still need to get to the table before those new games show up like The Weather Machine, Trailblazer the John Muir Trail, all the Everdell expansions from the big box, and Perseverance.

I also decided to try my hand a developing my own board game and have been working on a concept for over a year. The game is called "Garage Rock" and it is a worker placement medium weight game about building your own teenage garage band competing in a neighborhood battle of the bands. it has been a fun process diving into the game design side of this hobby. Building your own pinball machine is hard but so is making a board game!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider refugenate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=refugenate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.