800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainadam_21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 7 years ago

Has anyone played the new Ticket to Ride: Rails and Sails?

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

We got the Rails and Sails for the Great Lakes map. A bit longer and more challenging balancing your ships and trains. Just a bit "heavier" for our crowd but they like it. Might want to find a sale though, price about 50% higher than the base game.

Thanks. My wife loves the games. But I'm getting a bit burnt out on them as they seem to be the only board game out of the 100s I own she wants to play. We just started Star Wars Destiny. I build her Hero deck better than mine, so she wins. Now she enjoys that as well.

6 months later
#125 6 years ago

I have gotten a handful of games on the new Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. I've played a few 2 player and 4 player games. I think it is a game all Harry Potter fans will enjoy. It seem more difficult with 4 players (we lost), than with 2 players. Rules are very easy to learn.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Curious if anyone knows any games that are really good with 2 people.

Jaipur and Lost Cities are great games made for 2 players. If you like Ticket to Ride the Scandinavian countries map is made for 2-3 players.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

My girls love Harry Potter, so I could see that a a game to play when they are older.

How old are they? It really isn't very difficult to learn the rules

#156 6 years ago

I picked up Rebellion a few weeks ago. Is there a good YouTube tutorial you recommend?

1 week later
#165 6 years ago

Escape from 100 million BC is fun. It is a dice chucker but the theme is so good

6 months later
#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

The game of choice currently for me is Gloomhaven. A twenty pound box and hundreds of hours of fun. I think it's still sitting at the #1 spot on Boardgamegeek and it's a well deserved rank.

I picked this up last week and played 2 scenarios over the weekend. It is awesome! Even my wife loves it and normally all she wants to play is Ticket to Ride or Lost Cities. Definitely worth the money.

1 week later
#252 6 years ago
Quoted from chill:

In too. Should make a good Christmas present if it ships in November.

When is the last time a kickstarter game actually shipped on time though?

4 weeks later
#306 5 years ago

FYI. It looks like coolstuffinc.com is taking presale orders of Gloomhaven. Estimated to ship june or july. I cannot stress enough how awesome this game is. I am planning on getting a 2nd copy just for me to play solo with 4 characters. My wife and I are only playing 1 character each for a party of 2. I'd like to see what a larger group of 4 is like

3 months later
#424 5 years ago

Plenty of gloomhaven in stock at coolstuffinc. I just went on an epic 3 hour quest only to lose at the end

2 months later
#488 5 years ago

Has anyone played betrayal legacy? Thoughts?

1 week later
#517 5 years ago

My wife also doesn't like overly complex games such as worker placement. But she loves gloomhaven. Once you figure out the basic mechanics it really isn't that hard. I do all the thinking and move the monsters. It just is a pain to set up and take down unless you have a dedicated table for it

1 week later
#546 5 years ago

Has anyone played Dragonfire? I'm looking for a deck building legacy game and this seems to fit the bill.

2 weeks later
#574 5 years ago

My nephew got clue for christmas. Mrs white for the boot and was replaced with a Dr Orchid.

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

Fantastic game, but the setup time means it doesn’t come out as often as I’d like

I hear ya man. That's why I went with a dedicated table for it

1 year later
#719 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to the next reprinting of Wingspan

1 week later
#734 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Frosthaven kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven
It looks really cool. I've always wanted to give Gloomhaven a try, but it's probably just too complicated for myself and friends. I really like to play games that have a pretty low setup time.

The game play itself isn't that complicated. The set up time does suck though. I've been told there are a few apps that help decrease it a bit.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Just backed Frosthaven for $1. I honestly can't find much of a reason to back it fully on Kickstarter. No exclusives and it's already funded so it's not like they need the help. Still for $1 it's worth it to have access to the Pledge Manager.

I think you'll save a few bucks since the game with retail around 150 and you can purchase on kickstarter for $100 plus shipping. Bot not a huge difference. Hopefully the print enough copies for retail and there isn't a shortage like with gloomhaven right away

#735 4 years ago

Why wife and I have started playing Sherlock Holmes consulting detective. We are really enjoying it. Works just fine with 2 players.

#741 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve really enjoyed playing Terraforming Mars as a one player/solo game. Does anyone have any recommendations for games with a similar complexity weight that are also excellent one player/solo games? Thanks in advance for the help!

I know I sound like a broken record on gloomhaven but it's amazing. I play solo with a few characters. The game is so huge it will easily get you through the pandemic

#757 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

It’s funny you mention Gloomhaven. I spent some time reading about it last night. It looks absolutely amazing. My guess is you need a dedicated game space so you don’t need to continue to set up and tear it down. Do you feel the rules are somewhat easily understood? I don’t mind spending some time digesting rules and working through a bit of a learning curve but I’ve played a couple of games where the rules were just so complex it took too much enjoyment away from the game. Thanks in advance.

I think it's the best game ever. The rules aren't too bad once you learn them. The set up is brutal though. A dedicated area would be perfect. I have been told there are quite a few apps you can download to to lessen it. Such as one that recreates the monsters from the scenario and draws for them. You still move the miniature but you don't need to set up the monster cards which is a hassle and takes up space. I think there are even better ones too.
I agree the sweet spot is around 3. I soloed with 4 and it took a long time per campaign. My wife and I also played and 2 can get overrun at times.
Getting new cards for you deck when your character levels up is really satisfying

1 week later
#785 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Horrified is an awesome co-op game along the same lines as Pandemic. It is super thematic to the classic Universal Monsters and you can mix and match them however you want for a unique experience. Each monster has a specific behavior and mechanism for battling them, but it never becomes too complex.
Castle Panic is another very fun co-op game, but quite different from the others listed. It's probably a bit lighter, but it has some great expansions that add depth and flavor. Good, goofier fun.
If you are Harry Potter fans, Hogwarts Battle is great. It is co-op, but again different from the others listed. It is more of a deck builder and you progress through seven games following the books/movies, each adding cards, abilities, mechanisms as you go. Since it starts simple and adds complexity as it goes, it never feels like too much of a learning curve.
I haven't played it, but I have heard good things about Flash Point being a great co-op game.

Flashpoint is solid. I don't think it is as fun as Pandemic but the learning curve is much lower if you're playing with kids. Horrified is also fun and not overly complicated. But certain monsters are more difficult so you can adjust the difficulty that way.
My wife's favorite game is lost cities which is 2 player card game. She also lives ticket to ride

#790 4 years ago

My wife and I really enjoy harry potter battle for Hogwarts. Are there other coop deck building games like it?

#792 4 years ago

I've never played that one, so not sure how it compares, but my wife and I played LOTR LCG for the first time this past weekend. We both really liked it. I got the core game from goodwill sealed. It looks like there are a lot of expansions. I think I'll try to exhaust the scenarios in the core game before buying any expansions. I really like LOTR, but I don't know if it's the choice I want to make to get really into an LCG/expansions. I am happy to find it though, as I love deck games, but hated how unbalanced things got with the CCGs.

Watch out or you'll spend a lot of money on that. I got the core plus probably other 4 sets which are 6 adventures each.
The lotr saga ones are really neat. It is campaign style over the 3 books broken into 9 adventures with items that carryover

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Marvel Legendary is an excellent coop deck builder.
amazon.com link Β»

Thanks. That seems to be a consensus great game. I'll have to check it out

2 months later
#823 3 years ago

Setting up and taking down gloomhaven is just so time consuming. This looks like it has eliminated that

6 months later
#914 3 years ago

just got a Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective game.

I love those games. There are 3 sequels of you finish that one. You'll never beat Sherlock but that's OK. Just enjoy the journey of interviewing witnesses

#925 3 years ago

Played wingspan yesterday. Awesome game

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainadam_21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=captainadam_21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.