800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LilRocky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I am a big fan of Dune Imperium... can't wait for the movie and the extension that has just been announced.
Solo mode is very good, and you can adjust difficulty. The game shines with 3 players though. Lots of interactions between players (conflict, securing alliances, blocking desirable spots). Note however, that even if having long-term strategic plans may be helpful, you constantly have to adjust: tactics play an important role.

That Dune game is awesome. I believe the upgrade with the figures is coming in August.

We’ve been spending free time on Dream Crush lately, which is a throwback to those old dating board games. It’s hilariously amazing.

#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Thanks for the info on Jaws of the Lion. My wife and I play talisman and love it but we have been looking for an quicker/easier fantasy board game. I purchased Zombicide Black Plague and my wife and I were totally put off by the complexities of it. I asked some fb groups for recommendations and they recommended Descent as it has an app to assist. I purchased it but the app is a scenario app not a helper app. It just says things like “set up board” and the rules are way to complex for us. But Jaws of the Lion might be good for us

By the games you’re mentioning here, I think Mansions of Madness may be a good bet for you and your wife. The new version runs with an assistant app that does an amazing job of getting you through the game, however, it’s also a requirement to have the app to play. While Jaws of the Lion is good and has a very well done guided learn, Mansions’ app made this game a breeze to understand and play for my wife and I, as well as for my 13yo (at the time) who’s not too into board gaming.

4 months later
#1039 2 years ago

Really looking forward to Return to Dark Tower. Just got another Email today titled, “slow and steady,” but man, it’s getting close!

My girls and I just got done playing a game of Jumanji deluxe. It’s actually a lot of fun for anyone with young kids; lots of imaginative play.

2 months later
#1093 2 years ago

The long wait is over!

BF942BBF-DD1F-4A84-97E4-263C85E623E8 (resized).jpegBF942BBF-DD1F-4A84-97E4-263C85E623E8 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#1102 2 years ago

I think it’s great, and agreed about the upgrades. They made it sound like the larger mat was going to be huge, but it fits perfectly on my gaming table.

My only gripes are keeping up with the advantages during battle and some end boss cards. We have to use fingers to constantly count advantages, so not sure why there isn’t some sort of ticker in the app for this. As for the end bosses, cards that force skulls without the ability to use advantages almost always cause an insta-lose. At the end stage of the game, our skull count is usually pretty low, and getting an auto 8 skull loss without being able to knock the number down kinda sucks.

Haven’t used the expansion, as there’s already enough going on for us. Plus I hear another expansion is in the works!

3 weeks later
#1112 2 years ago

Oh, baby!

55C1CE22-79E3-4FE3-B1B0-86316C334723 (resized).jpeg55C1CE22-79E3-4FE3-B1B0-86316C334723 (resized).jpeg
#1114 2 years ago

Did you get both boxes? I opened mine and saw that it was missing the trading/stealing chits. Checked the shipping Email and saw that there's two boxes being sent. Had I not noticed this module, I would have completely forgot about the other extras like the starting player statue. I think this one took every bit of 2 years to produce since the kickstarter ended. While a pretty basic game, it is gorgeous, but that box is a huge cement block.

#1116 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Yeah the second box has the extra punch board in the statue if you ordered it. It’s funny because there’s a word document out there that you can do a search so you can find your name on the box easier. Playing it tonight for sure.

What are your thoughts after first play-through? I did the base game without any modules and felt it kinda boring. I do like how the capitals, or whatever the adjacent multipliers are called, can really make or break things when buildings are replaced, though, which is how I lost due to a last minute population multiplier placement. The game just felt really solitaire, so I’ll look into the modules to try and spice things up for next play.

Maybe I’m just spoiled by how pleased I am with dark tower.

1 month later
#1132 1 year ago

I got My Father’s Work in the other day and started reading the manual last night. It says to download an app, but it doesn’t appear as an option to download on my phone (iOS). Maybe it’s just a tablet app? Some of the components are pretty over-the-top, like the glass vials, but the concept seems really fun! Looking forward to this hitting the table….once I find the required app…

#1135 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

If you go to boardgame geeks forum there is a beta website link in there that you can run one of the scenarios. The app should be really good but just using this website we were able to complete the scenario and get the gist of the game and work out any kinks. We really enjoyed it.

I saw there is a link to site in the manual, I’ll check it out along with the bgg one. Do you know if the app is still in the process of development and just hasn’t been released yet, or is it strictly tablet only?

4 months later
#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My family wants to start getting in to board games. What do you all think about Return to Dark Tower? Easy enough to learn how to play for beginners? We would play that game with another couple.
At $200 I’m just wanting to make sure it’s okay as my first modern board game and won’t be so complicated we can’t pick it up with other novice players.

Do you or your friends have much experience with board games (aside from monopoly and the likes)? While the app in dark tower does somewhat hold your hand through the entire thing, I don’t think I’d recommend it to those just getting into board games due to price tag, relative complexity compared to beginner games, and it can be punishing.

With that said, the game is bad ass and I strongly recommend the additional miniatures to bring the game even more to life. There’s also another expansion being finalized, so things won’t get boring any time soon.

#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Will these games help prepare us for the more complex games like Return to Dark Tower?

What are you and your group looking for in a game? Think theme, cooperative/competitive, complexity, style (euro, dexterity, hidden movement, etc.), and so forth. Without diving into what others mentioned here, majority of the people I game with, new and old, had zero experience in gaming, nor did they think they had any desire to. For these people, it started with party games like Bang, Dixit, Liars Dice, and Pitch Car. For those that started to really enjoy things, I moved them to games like Ticket to Ride (probably the greatest gateway game ever), Clank, Whitechapel, Mysterium, and King of Tokyo (trying to give a good spread on game types here). I will say one game that shocks the hell outta me that beginners surprisingly grasp and enjoy is Dune Imperium.

Anyways, shoot us back with what you're looking for in a game and we can probably narrow things down a bit, as there is a huge variety in the board game market right now. Theme is a big one, so if there is something you all are into, let us know, because there is a board game on just about anything these days (from quilting, to movies, to bad dates).

EDIT: To answer your question, yes, starting with basic games like these will definitely get you ready for games like Dark Tower. I'd say you just wouldn't want to overwhelm your gaming group right off the bat with a more complex board game. The main thing here is you'll be learning these games first, then teaching it to others. For the more complex games, you'll want to play the game by yourself with phantom players, so you can get the gist of it down. Nothing is worse than trying to play a complex game, but constantly be held up searching for rule after rule. Rule searches are bound to happen on the first few playthroughs of most complex games, but when you and your group are sitting there being constantly held up by this, it takes a lot away from the fun.

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We are two middle aged married couples, all four of us are total board games novices. The most colllex game I ever really got in to was Axis and Allies. The other three of our little group were your stand monopoly clue fair. All four of us are eager though.
Theme wise: knights and dragons or future sci-fi space stuff would be great. One or the other would do equally as well. We are pretty flexible though. I saw that Alice in Wonderland kickstarter game, that would be perfect for us but looks even more complicated than Dark Tower.
Playing with each other cooperatively would likely be preferable to being opponents…but we would not say no entirely to a more adverse game (but co-op to start). The key is a game that is relatively easy to learn…all four of us pick up on things pretty quickly but we are worried about being overwhelmed.
We do have access to Jodester and he is a very advanced board game player and friends with all four of us. We could probably talk him into helping us learn something one evening to launch this project. I’ve linked him to the thread and asked him to opine as well.

If you were into Axis and Allies, then you definitely have a good starting point for grasping more advanced games. Here's my thoughts for you:

Shadows Over Camelot - Knights/Dragon theme - cooperative and can be played with an optional traitor (hidden roles) - beginner level game. This is a perfect match to what you've stated, but I believe it went out of print not too long ago....and I just looked on Ebay and they're asking ridiculous amounts. The damn thing was in production for like 20 years, so there's gotta be a good number of them out there.

Can't think of too many other knight/dragon cooperative games. I'd recommend Clank!, which is a beginner game that fits the theme, but is competitive.
EDIT: Got a game in recently that has been a mixed bag for my group - Call to Adventure: Epic Origins (can't speak for the first call to adventure, as I've never played it) - Fantasy theme - Cooperative or competitive (you're still doing the same thing either way, the highest score wins if playing competitively...and there's a few "take that" cards if I remember) - Deck builder, in a sense, with an awesome dice mechanic (you're rolling 2-sided runes) - I believe this to be a beginner game, but the internet will tell you differently - Personally, I enjoy this game, however, I've got some friends who think it's boring. I really have fun with the end, where you can tell a story about your character using the order of your cards (attributes, accomplishments, and failures).

Cosmic Encounter - Sci-Fi Space Theme - cooperative AND competitive - HUGELY INTERACTIVE - basic concept is beginner level, but the alien powers can bring this to a way advanced level. The good part is that the aliens have color codes of green, yellow, and red for levels of complexity, so you can start with green.

Spector Ops - Future Theme - hidden movement game, so one person is against the many working together - Borderline beginner/intermediate

Legendary Encounters: Alien - if you all like the alien movies, the cards are strongly based on the first three movies if I remember correctly - Deck building game - cooperative - Borderline beginner/intermediate, but I remember it being pretty easy to teach.

Twilight Imperium - HA, yeah right~

On any of these games, watch the video first to see if it's something YOU will enjoy. Too many people jump on the hype train only to have a game sit on the shelf and not the table (I'm even guilty of this due to Kickstarters). Second, read the rules online. I can't think of one game that doesn't have its rules uploaded to internet, so glance over those to make sure this is something that is not too complex for your group and you'd be able to teach. Third, when you do get the game, play it by yourself first where you're playing as each other phantom player in the game. While it may seem ridiculous, it's gonna be so much easier to teach when you do this and you won't lose the attention of other players.

#1229 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Knights / Dragons and you like the idea of co-op....that equals Castle Panic! The base game is a great gateway, and if you want more complex, add in the expansions.

I had thought about that one, but think it to be more a kid game than for adults, although I never played the expansions. Definitely a good gateway game.

1 month later
#1252 1 year ago

Looks like Frosthaven arrives today. Of course I’m out of town and it’s rainy.

3 months later
#1341 1 year ago

Got the second season of Final Girl in, never playing the first but hearing only good things. I'm not a huge fan of solo games or modes, but this one really is a bit of fun. Granted, it is hugely dependent on luck with dice rolls, where with early crap rolls you might as well just reset the game. However, there's a ton of variety here with every "feature film," a combination of a setting and enemy, making a huge change to the game and strategy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LilRocky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=LilRocky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.