800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#242 6 years ago

I'm not sure it really qualifies as a "board game", but I play x-wing miniatures. It can be very expensive, there's so many ships out there. I was collecting everything for a while, but I haven't bought a piece for probably 2 years now. My biggest complaint is that it takes a lot to setup, and the number of cards to build a "deck" can be pretty daunting if you don't have the time to build them.

3 months later
#383 5 years ago

Any advice for a board game that would be entertaining for me and my wife, while holding my 4 year old's attention?

2 weeks later
#409 5 years ago

We played King of Tokyo with my daughter. She loved it. She needs some coaching with the nuance of the game (she's 4), but it's 100x better than playing the shopkins board game.

3 weeks later
#426 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am counting the days to X-Wing Second edition

What is this? I have a ton of X-wing minis, but stopped collecting a couple of years ago.

#433 5 years ago

Pandemic looks like a good coop game. I'm thinking I'll buy it for a camping trip this weekend. I want a coop game for the hothead poor sports that I go with every year. I'm hoping to minimize the butthurt that's inevitable with the games of risk we typically play. Any other suggestions?

4 weeks later
#440 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I really like Mansions if Maness a lot Or House on Haunted Hill. Pandemic is a good choice too though.

Thanks for the recommendations. We played House on Haunted Hill last year. I was the guy that got broken off, and there were fits about how I chose to move my player to capture the others (and win). It's probably comical for anyone watching, but being a part of it is downright exhausting. I'm a pretty passive guy, and dealing with overly aggressive players really drains me.

Pandemic was a success this year! We played several games, and there was only one outburst. That's practically a happy-times HOF entry for this group.

We also played Catan. It was my first go at that game, and I bought it as soon as I got home. I can understand why people like it so much.

-----

Next up I have a trip with another part of my family and all of our kids. A much more reasonable group - I'll definitely bring King of Tokyo, as I think that will be a big hit with the kids. I may also bring Ticket to Ride (I've yet to play) and Catan to see if we can get either the kids or the adults into it (after the kids are in bed)

-----

Maybe it was already recommended, but what are some of the better games for 2 players? I'd like to get something that my wife and I can play together, without seriously compromised gameplay.

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you guys talking abou “Betrayal at House on the Hill” or is it a new game I’ve not heard of?

That's the game I was referring to

1 month later
#496 5 years ago

I think I still have a bone bruise on the inner part of my index finger from Crossfire.

#499 5 years ago

Anyone ever play Weapons and Warriors? That was a pretty cool game when I was a kid. Not sure if it holds up..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#532 5 years ago

Speaking of Magic...

I've played a lot of trading card type games over the years - SWCCG, Magic, WOW, Xwing...

They all have the same flaw - it's difficult to match up with others in a competitive way. Someone always seems to be outmatched by newer (or more expensive) cards.

Are there any standalone games that capture the type of deck building strategy that the collectible games have, without their inherent imbalance? It seems like Gloomhaven may be that type of game? Are there others?

6 months later
#604 4 years ago

Looking for a good 2 player game to play with my wife on an upcoming trip. Any suggestions?

Bonus points for replay value, small pack size, and ability to play solo.

2 weeks later
#611 4 years ago

Lots of good board game deals out there for Prime Day. Worth taking a look if you haven't already.

#614 4 years ago

I went pretty nuts on games recently. I haven't really been this overwhelmed (in a good, exciting way) since starting in pinball. Just realizing how many great games with different styles (art, theme, gameplay, etc) has been fun to discover. I put a focus on 2-player games, and was looking for a few that scale well. I'm also really interested in games that can grow with our family. I have a pretty sharp 5 year old, and we've played Sushi-Go and King of Tokyo, she loves both. I have a couple of twins on her heels (2.5 years old), so I'm also on a constant search for games all 5 of us will be able to enjoy.

I just added a bunch of these, most of them due to Prime Day..

Forbidden Island
7 Wonders Duel
Dead of Winter
Carcassone
Dixit
Patchwork
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

2 months later
#624 4 years ago

I took a stop by Goodwill the other day, just to see if they had any decent games. Nothing... but I did find a kids golf bag for my son. I went to check out, and saw LOTR LCG in a case by the checkout. I took a look - $15, still in original wrap. Score!

1 month later
#643 4 years ago

I know people really like Pandemic. I personally find it kind of tedious to move one card per turn to another player (I think one player has a perk to lessen that pain). Forbidden Island is a pretty similar game in that way, but from memory, Pandemic requires you to be in the same location as what's represented on the card... making parts of the game really monotonous. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, or maybe I've been playing it wrong...

Are there any suggestions for co-op games that don't rely so heavily on that "move cards from one player to another" type mechanic?

2 months later
#666 4 years ago

I've taken a pretty deep dive into board games in the last year. Most of the time I play 2-player games with my wife.

Right now I'm looking to start something a little heavier with her. I already have Mage Knight, but it was pretty complex when I tried learning the solo play. I gave it a couple of hours, and still didn't really piece it all together. I have a really basic understanding, but if she doesn't like the theme (I'm thinking she won't), I may just move onto something else. She's looking into it, and I told her to also check out Spirit Island, Scythe, and Terraforming Mars.

We also had a game night with some of my cousins that live nearby recently. We tried Dead of Winter, and that was really fun. My cousins are pretty new to that level of game, and I think we just barely got through the instructions before losing their attention. Once we got to playing though everyone was really into it. It's probably going to be a staple for future game nights.

I also got on the list for Wingspan at my local game shop. It's really popular right now, and also between prints. I'm excited to try that one out, as I think it will be a really fun and thinky casual-ish game.

#668 4 years ago

Lost Cities
Splendor
Patchwork
Forbidden Island (co-op)

She really kicks my ass at all of those, but they're still all pretty fun.

We also got an "Exit" game for xmas that was fun - it's like an escape room type puzzle. The problem with those are you can pretty much only do each on once, because you'll know the puzzles, and because you may have to destroy cards (I tried very hard not to do this, but I was still forced to bend some). She liked it enough that she ordered 3-4 more of them. I'm not convinced that they won't all be similar, but the first one was pretty clever and made for a good time. I'll keep you posted on how bad the marginal returns are on another one. There are some that are about $10 on amazon right now. It's a bit of a bummer they're basically disposable, but we figure it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a night out (especially when you factor in a babysitter).

#673 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I want to try Mage Knight - I own it - but it seems so intimidating. LOL

Yeah, I can't really recommend it based on my one attempt to play solo. I had a night to myself and dedicated myself to trying to figure it out. I tired out before learning, and left it setup on the pool table for quite a while. I think it would be cool if you can get past the initial complexity, but right now I'm considering just finding something else that scratches that same itch.

The community loves it though, and reviews it as the best solo game available. I might give it another go now that I have some other games under my belt. If it doesn't take, I think it will be up for sale.

#676 4 years ago

Azul and either Race or Roll for the Galaxy have been on my list. Interested to hear your pros/cons for those.

My wife is in on something new for this weekend - either Scythe or Spirit Island. I'm probably going to grab each of those at some point anyway, so I guess I'll just decide how I'm feeling tomorrow and grab one.

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

This is my unplayed shelf that I vowed to get through by year end. Where to start?[quoted image]

Root seemed pretty interesting to me. Let us know what you think of that when you get some plays in.

#690 4 years ago

How is the learning curve on Scythe? I really want to give it a try, but I'm afraid of getting burnt out before we even start.

I really love the art on that one, it looks phenomenal.

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

It's definitely not Candy Land. Takes a bit to set everything up and can take awhile to play. It is a complex game, but the rules are well written and the game boards are intuitive and descriptive enough to help you along. I would recommend watching a few videos to get the gist before skimming though the rules.

Just don't go into it looking for a mech fighting game, as combat is a part of it, but far from the dominant factor.

I do normally check out videos first, it just helps ground the text in something relatable. There's also normally a point where I say "screw it, let's just start playing". That normally works for me, assuming I have at least a basic understanding of the rules.

The setup does give me a little pause. Tedious setup of games bothers me. It's the reason I sort of gave up on X-Wing. Although, I did recently get a 3d printer. The amount of stuff that you can make to get games to the table easier is really impressive.

#702 4 years ago

I went to my local board game shop to see if they had either Scythe or Spirit Island. If they had both I figured I'd make an impulse decision between the two. As it turns out, they had neither.

They also told me they don't price match. I'm happy to check there first, and I'm also happy to toss them a few extra dollars for a game.... but if a game is 90 there when I can buy it for 60 on amazon? I just can't do that. I guess I'll check with them in those instances, but that's a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, I got home and ordered Spirit Island since it wasn't available. No chance to play it tonight, but we did get in a round of Trivial Pursuit (for shits) and then Photosynthesis.

It was our first play with Photosynthesis. It's a really good looking game. It didn't play bad with 2 players, but you're very actively working against one another, which isn't necessarily a play style I enjoy. I had a rare win in such a game, and I'd give it another play, but I'm not in a hurry to bust it out tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I think we may give LOTR LCG a play, or maybe Basesball 2045.

1 month later
#715 4 years ago

I haven't played around with it too much, but Tabletop Simulator seems like a really good option for playing games remotely. The core games comes with classic stuff you would expect. While you can buy "expansions", there are full fledged versions of modern games available through the community.

#720 4 years ago

Same here - I have it pre-ordered through my local game store.

#721 4 years ago

Frosthaven kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven

It looks really cool. I've always wanted to give Gloomhaven a try, but it's probably just too complicated for myself and friends. I really like to play games that have a pretty low setup time.

1 week later
#749 4 years ago

2player games..

Lost cities
Spirit island (co-op)

#750 4 years ago

Gloomhaven.. I do hate setup of games, so that's been a barrier for me. I could have a space where I leave it up for quite a while though.

How easy is it for players to jump in and out? If I start a solo game, can someone else come and go periodically?

1 week later
#791 4 years ago

I've never played that one, so not sure how it compares, but my wife and I played LOTR LCG for the first time this past weekend. We both really liked it. I got the core game from goodwill sealed. It looks like there are a lot of expansions. I think I'll try to exhaust the scenarios in the core game before buying any expansions. I really like LOTR, but I don't know if it's the choice I want to make to get really into an LCG/expansions. I am happy to find it though, as I love deck games, but hated how unbalanced things got with the CCGs.

#793 4 years ago

Yeah I'm trying to avoid going down another rabbit hole. Swccg was a big one when I was younger, x-wing has cost me a stupid amount (and then they released a new version!!!).

So is there a difference between a LCG and the "deckbuilder" you referenced?

#795 4 years ago

Nevermind. I was reading into it a bit. I dont think I've really played a proper deckbuilding game, but maybe I need to.

Have you tried Dominion? I hear that referenced all the time.

1 week later
#807 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Based on recommendations here, i got a copy of Terraforming Mars and (unsurprisingly) love it! What a well-designed game! I've been having a blast playing it solo, but look forward to trying multiplayer eventually. Every game has been a race to the finish, and it's really fun trying different corporations and strategies. Just wanted to thank y'all for helping me find a terrific game!

I've had that in and out of my cart for the past few months. My wife is surprisingly not interested in it, and I really don't like setup, so I ended up just getting the mobile app for now. I haven't had too much of a chance to play it yet.

I ended up ordering Sagrada. I debated on that one, too, but it seems like it will be a good game without too much competitiveness, and should play relatively quick. Another thing I look for is games that play well for 2 players, but scale well. Most of the time it's just me and the wife (especially now), so games that require more players almost never make it to the table.

1 month later
#822 3 years ago

I had no idea that was coming out. It looks pretty perfect for someone like me that was too intimidated to try jumping directly into gloomhaven. I just checked and it's out of stock by me. Hopefully it will be available soon, I think I'll grab it.

My wife and I have been playing Pandemic Legacy S1. It's been pretty great, and that's coming from someone who was pretty underwhelmed with the original Pandemic.

#824 3 years ago

My game shop says it's a Target exclusive until sometime in August.

1 month later
#838 3 years ago

I finally got a copy of Wingspan last week. We played a couple of games over the weekend. I really liked it. It's a pretty passive game, so it made for a pretty relaxing but strategic gaming session against the wife.

I also just got a copy of Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. I want to dive into that one, but I think we'll probably finish out Pandemic Legacy S1 first over the next few weeks before learning another new game.

3 weeks later
#857 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Finally finished my board game table (2 months of work on and off). Now time to play some games with family before school starts and we have to shut everything down again.
[quoted image]

That's a really awesome looking space. Nicely done.

3 months later
#882 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

We have and enjoy Carcasonne, Catan, Azul, 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. Looking for something to add. Would welcome suggestions (2-4 players.

My wife and I have really like Wingspan. It's an engine builder, and it doesn't really look like you've checked that box with the above. It's pretty low stress and non-combative. It's pretty easy to teach and pickup.

Another suggestion is Spirit Island. It's pretty heavy, but has some really satisfying coop game play.

I think both of those scale really well from 2-4 players.

2 weeks later
#898 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

[quoted image]
Now I just need to decide which one to play first....
Anyone else get any new board games for Christmas?

I love Spirit Island, probably my favorite game at the moment. I have Jaws of the Lion, but haven't cracked into it yet. Curious to hear what you think about both.

#907 3 years ago

The wife and I are planning a bit of a board game marathon for NYE. I think we'll probably just move around to whatever we feel like, but a lot of me sort of wants to focus on finishing out Pandemic Season 1. It feels appropriate.

Otherwise it's been a while since we've played Spirit Island, and I just got a Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective game.

For some filler (or at least lighter games) I think I'll setup Photosynthesis or Wingspan for the other side of the table. Lost Cities is a play option, but doesn't really require much of a dedicated space (which I love about it).

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I love those games. There are 3 sequels of you finish that one. You'll never beat Sherlock but that's OK. Just enjoy the journey of interviewing witnesses

Do they need to be played in any particular order? I think I actually got one of the 'expansions' first. I was under the impression they were all standalone games.

#918 3 years ago

The gaming marathon didnt really happen, got too late of a start. We played 1 game of spirit Island. It took a long time to familiarize ourselves with the nuance of the rules again, and we both were really analytical about our turns. That made for a 4+ hour game, but a victory!

We played again tonight and this one stretched to about the same time. I think we need to cap our spirit phase time to move ourselves along, but there are a lot of variables to think through.

Oh, and a yoga mat cut down makes for the perfect gaming surface. Firm, but soft enough to easily grab cards from the table, or dampen the sound of dice rolls.

20210101_223255 (resized).jpg20210101_223255 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#928 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I have the ultimate first world problem... I was close to pulling the trigger on a nib pin, but was hesitating because I have to move some furniture around to fit it and because of the pandemic, it would be the first game that I would buy before playing first. Then my wife throws out the "we need a new dining room table and didn't you want to get a fancy gaming table in there?"
Not really looking to do both at this moment and suffering from analysis paralysis.
Which one would you choose, a new gaming table or a new pin?

What pin?

If you need a new dining room table, it seems like an opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone there and get a nice looking gaming table to serve as both. If you have woodworking skills, you could turn that into a project.

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I know the audience, just sometimes a random comment can provide a different perspective. The pin on my list is Heist.
My favorite option currently is the Valhalla table from GameOn. I have no carpentry skills of note.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
All the other gaming table companies
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/229564/game-table-manufacturers

That's a nice looking table, I think that gets my vote if your wife would allow it to replace the existing dining table (so as to not take up any valuable pin space). Put the Heist on hold until you get a chance to play it at expo.

#940 3 years ago

I've got long term plans to put a gaming table in our currently underutilized dining room. I'll build my own because I really like customizing that sort of thing. I've really taken to tabletop simulator over the pandemic, and I think there are some benefits to using it for in person gaming, especially for less formal nights with just the wife, or games with daunting setups.

I learned you can use a second monitor to display a static view of anything. A high res top down view on an implemented monitor could work really well (and some hotkeys at the ready to change that view when useful). Scripted setups would really help to spend more of our gaming time actually gaming, and less fiddling with pieces and setting things up.

I certainly dont want all of our gaming to turn into yet another digital activity, but I'm wondering if anyone else has considered setting up a couple of laptops at a table with an integrated screen, or any thoughts you might have. This is all a ways off, but I'm starting to think about drafting the plans.

#945 3 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Looks like you already have some pins. So if that is the situation your in, I would absolutely get the game table. One more pin is just additional pin variety. A new gaming table is an upgrade to your entire gaming experience.
I have a Geek Chic table (company went bankrupt) and I love it. A high quality table will last a lifetime. So its never too soon to invest.

Is the marginal utility over a standard kitchen table really great enough to justify forgoing an additional pin? What makes it so much better than a normal table? Viewing angles, card/token holders?

Asking seriously, I havent had an experience on a real "gaming table". I just use my pool table or the kitchen table with a yoga mat on top now.

#947 3 years ago

Wingspan wins the battle for the table again tonight. We ran this one through 3 plays, adding a 5th round for one of them. That didnt feel quite right, but the game is missing just a little something for me. Taking suggestions for similar engine-builders.

20210109_220527 (resized).jpg20210109_220527 (resized).jpg
#951 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

For lighter engine-builders: Splendor and Century:Spice Road. For a little heavier: Terraforming Mars and Keyflower.

Thanks! I own Splendor, I just haven't been a big fan. It doesn't help that my wife has been irritatingly good at it, and there's a decent amount of conflict in that one. Terraforming Mars is one that I've been really close to grabbing multiple times. It seems a little lengthy to setup and maybe sort of tough to learn, but I think it's probably worth it. I've never heard of Keyflower, I'll look into that one.

4 weeks later
#959 3 years ago

Does anyone have any interest in my X-Wing minis collection? I have a lot... and I don't get nearly enough play out of it. I can put together a list if anyone is seriously interested. It's all 1.0 stuff.

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

I just kind of got back into tabletop gaming late last year. Nothing super new yet but picked up and have been LOVING Robinson Crusoe. Makes a difference with the upgraded tokens and food that looks like food.

Are you playing it solo?

#964 3 years ago

I've had Robinson Crusoe on my list for a while as a solo game. I like the idea of it, but I'm afraid it might suffer the same fate as Mage Knight... which is for sale if anyone is interested.

#969 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

How is Mage Knight? (Probably a silly question to ask since you're selling it....)
I was looking at that as a possible solo game, but the idea of a solo board game campaign, managing all components, and the length of the games seems a bit daunting. What do you not like about it?

I mean it seems pretty cool, but all the reasons you stated... the setup, management, etc have all kept me away. Really learning the game is an obstacle for me when its that in depth and it's up to me alone to absorb and remember everything. It just seemed daunting and less than fun after a full week of work.

Maybe that would be true for all solo games, but theres still a draw of just listening to some music and taking my time on something strategic that seems like a great way to spend a night.

1 week later
#977 3 years ago

I found a board game doc on Prime called "Gamemaster" about game designers. Just starting it now.

#978 3 years ago

I'm a fan of this video game, and the developer (just 1 guy) is as good as it gets. I'll be grabbing a copy of this

https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-the-board-game-available-now/

#983 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Was it worth watching?

I didn't get a chance to finish it out yet. So far I would say it's worth the time especially since it's a topic of interest.

2 weeks later
#984 3 years ago

New game! Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it.

20210309_205224 (resized).jpg20210309_205224 (resized).jpg
#988 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Nice! Be careful punching it...some tiles are not cut well at all. That's about as far as I have gotten towards playing it, LOL.

Good to know! Nothing annoys me more than lifting that art layer due to my own impatience.

My wife is in her busy season and not all that enthralled with SDV in the first place, so my first play on this might have to be solo. My daughter loves SDV but she's just 6. She can manage in wingspan and forbidden Island but I dont know if I have the personal patience to both learn this myself and help her along at the same time.

Maybe I'll take friday off for March Madness and give this a simultaneous playthrough..

2 months later
#1008 2 years ago

I just grabbed Jaws and Back to the Future from Target for 15/each. Looks like those are pretty good deals. I doubt I'll hang on to them personally, but plan to give them as gifts at some point.

2 months later
#1028 2 years ago

I think jaws of the lion is awesome. My wife thinks it's just OK. This presents a problem for me

4 months later
#1036 2 years ago

We don't keep track of plays, but Wingspan has definitely been our most played game this year. I'm thinking about grabbing at least one of the expansions, but I normally avoid those since I really prefer to spend that money on entirely new games. But it's been a staple, so I think it might warrant an exception.

Otherwise new games for us have been pretty light lately. Learning new rules is a barrier for us, especially after a long work week.

I have been playing Root via the app with some friends. That's been interesting. Lots of stuff to learn, so I'm thankful for the guidance and limitation that the app offers.

1 week later
#1052 2 years ago

Here's my haul. I've been wanting Scythe for a while, just afraid that it won't get to the table too often. We'll see.

20211229_160700 (resized).jpg20211229_160700 (resized).jpg
#1058 2 years ago

Haven't played any of those. Let us know what you think!

#1065 2 years ago

Played some Dr Eureka with the kids last night. That's a really good one for younger kids, and fun enough for us as well.

Wife and I spent the night on Sherlock Holmes

20220101_023524 (resized).jpg20220101_023524 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Regretting not buying Darktower as I'm still waiting on Oathsworn and Freedom Five. Both are at least a year overdue.
Although soon I will own all the games as I recently bought a 7,500 sf building to store them in...
[quoted image]

Wow, very cool! Good luck!

1 month later
#1106 2 years ago

There's a buy2 get1 deal going on at Amazon right now. This site offers a cleaner experience than the Amazon UI:

https://tabletopbellhop.com/tabletop-gaming-deals/amazon-b2g1-boardgames/#byprice

I grabbed two copies of the Harry Potter deckbuilder (one for my niece, one for our family) and Viticulture, which I've wanted to try for quite a while. I'm really on the fence with Azul, but I already own Sagrada and seem feel similar (and it's not really my favorite game to begin with). I really want to get Onitama, but it doesn't seem worth it to grab a couple of more expensive games I'm unsure of to get a $22 game for free. But maybe..

#1107 2 years ago

They've actually added stuff since yesterday. I don't think Formula D or Arkham Horror were there before. I might have to grab those..

#1110 2 years ago

Good to know, thanks for the rec. I'll probably grab it as one of the 3 in my next order, just waiting for something else to pop up now. Formula D went out, and I was look warm on it anyway. I was confusing it with Pitch Car, which is unlike anything I have and seems like fun.

1 month later
#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

Been a while since we had a new game update. Ark Nova after a couple plays deserves the hype that it is getting. Part Terraforming Mars, part Tapestry, can't remember now the last game to compare it to. It has a lot of elements from other games and pulls them together nicely. Throws in a final score calculator that is pretty unique. Starting to see Kickstarters arriving, better late than never. Auztralia big box and expansion arrived, Dark Knight Returns, My Father's Work is delivering soon. Got the new version of Azul but haven't played it yet. Tenpenny Parks is a good amusement park builder as well from Thunderworks.

I've seen comparisons to wingspan, which is a big positive in my book.

I played quacks of quedlinburg with friends at MGC. Very good, and a great game for a social setting. I think my wife and daughter will really like it.

We also test drove Trogdor at mgc. Not a fan of that one - very random movements really straps away the bulk if the strategy.

#1128 1 year ago

I think board games do really well on mobile, so much so that I considered it one of my primary use cases in a tablet (last gen used) purchase.

There are a ton of really good official apps out there, and some offer asynchronous online play. Otherwise hot seat pass and play is also an option. With the age of my kids and our schedules, it's really tough to get physical games to the table, and prior game knowledge and ease of setup is paramount. The apps really help to expand that knowledge, and play something casual when we're just not up to setting something up.

While not an android app, I've actually been using steam link to play the PC version of Gloomhaven. That works incredibly well with the S-Pen, like it was built for the tablet. It's a cool way to play a game I'd probably otherwise not experience.

I also played some root in the app with friends. That game doesn't play great asynchronously because some of the turns may require interaction from other players. My biggest gripe is the app forces you through everyone else's actions every time you enter the game (which will close unless the app is in the front). There are notifications, but if you check in at all to see where things stand, you'll be brought through those same actions, again and again, with no way to skip. Having it in app form is nice to keep only eligible actions available, but the balance, but the game is very complex, and doesn't seem very balanced. I also think some factions would really benefit from table negotiations, and that's not easy to do async.

1 month later
#1146 1 year ago

Nice intersection between a couple of my hobbies. I absolutely hate setup, and it keeps me from getting certain games I otherwise like to the table more often. Quacks isn't the worst with setup, but having these will make it super easy.

1 week later
#1157 1 year ago

In NC for a big joint trip with my in-laws. My wife and I split groups to play ticket to ride and wingspan. We determined who played what by pointing to them and asking one simple question: "trains or birds?". Everyone loved their respective game. I think we'll swap games tomorrow night.

20220803_232841 (resized).jpg20220803_232841 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1170 1 year ago

Two more new 'games' for me recently.

1. Villainous. I was returning Root to the local game store for credit after my experience with the app and some friends. Root really needs 4, and I struggle with rules even within the app. When and how cards are played by each faction is something I can't ingrain. Plus I don't find it fun. I decided the physical game would probably never get played.

My daughter (8) spotted Villainous and I had heard good things here and other places. I let her pick whatever version looked most interesting to her since they didn't have the original game. She chose Wicked to the Core. My wife daughter and I played one game today. She did great, but got crushed by mom (we both did). It was all she talked about for the rest of the day. There's a lot of strategy and variation within a simple overarching ruleset. I'm pretty annoyed it seems you can't add in the Star Wars or Marvel expansions, and it seems like it would be easy enough to mix universes with the ruleset as I'm familiar. But overall I thought it was really fun, and I'm glad my daughter is excited about it.

The other games I got with my credit were The Crew (still haven't played) and a Rubik's cube. Which brings me to 2

2. Rubik's cube. I picked one up a little while ago on amazon. It feels pretty good, and after a while of just messing around with it, I decided to learn how to solve it. I did, and then I worked on getting faster with that same method. I started down the rabbit hole, and while I'm not interested in getting too deep into it, I do like learning new moves (algos) and really like it as a fidget toy, especially the higher end versions. If anyone is interested, here's some info.

How to solve:

Cubes: First, I'd recommend avoiding the official Rubik's brand. Second, https://speedcubeshop.com/ seems to be a really solid place to get them that isn't amazon.

Cheap cube for 5.99. It feels a lot better than the original rubik's brand to me, and for a lot cheaper. I think it's worth it just to mess around with, and pass off to a kid or someone else if you decide you want something better. My house will have 6 cubes when my speedshop order comes in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW75KZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

More premium cube for about 25. This is the amazon link I used, but use whatever retailer you prefer. This one feels amazing with a really fluid movement and some light magnets that help the cube snap into place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q7NNMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

People also really seem to like the RS3 which is in the 10-15 range. I have one coming, but can't speak to it for now.

1 week later
#1178 1 year ago

You like splendor way more than I do!

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

What are some good two player games that are fairly quick? Something we can play at the table at a restaurant waiting for our food, so it’s got to be small. Got to be able to move the game over or easily put it away when the food comes.
We've done cribbage, Yahtzee, rummy, backgammon and zombie dice all to death. Also we play Quadro.

Lost Cities - You really don't need anything other than the cards. It was recommended to me here and is one of our favorite quick games. Plays a little like a push your luck 2 player solitaire. It would take up some table space (5 cards wide, and up to about 12 cards collated toward each player) so while it could be played waiting for a meal, they would need to wait for you to clear the table. It is very portable at least.

Tides of Time (or Tides of Madness) - I think this is a good one for your case. Again, you really don't need anything other than the cards, and this one needs practically no space. You pass cards back and forth and draft them into your hand and add up points for each round (you can keep track on a napkin, phone, or just in your head).

1 month later
#1240 1 year ago

Hoping to get it before xmas, I just ordered my wife Dog Park. It's apparently similar to Wingspan, but a little lighter. My wife loves dogs and wingspan, so hopefully this is worth the purchase.

https://birdwoodgames.com/en-us/products/dog-park-standard-edition?variant=40583413628962

#1241 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hoping to get it before xmas, I just ordered my wife Dog Park. It's apparently similar to Wingspan, but a little lighter. My wife loves dogs and wingspan, so hopefully this is worth the purchase.
https://birdwoodgames.com/en-us/products/dog-park-standard-edition?variant=40583413628962

Funny enough, I just got the email that it will be here Friday!

#1243 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

When did you order it? Was thinking of picking up a copy.

I ordered the collectors edition on October 18th

1 month later
#1272 1 year ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Can I get you to move to Wisconsin, I'd love someone to bring those type of game to my store's consignment section.
Pro tip: if you like having time to play pinball, don't open a friendly local game store.

How's the game store going? Do you have an online store? I practically never make it out that way, but I'll make it a point to take a look next time I do.

#1281 1 year ago

My daughter got another villianous expansion, and roped the family in for a beat down.

20221225_213332 (resized).jpg20221225_213332 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1291 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

Setting my goals high this year based on last 2 years stats. [quoted image]

Way more than me, that's for sure. I have been going through a gloomhaven digital campaign with friends. I should probably be recording those sessions into boardgamestats, but I often forget to use it.

#1292 1 year ago

I got the kids ticket to ride first journey for Xmas. We adjusted the rules to work within the limits of their attention span. There are the same little things that trip people up (associating route colors to car colors), but my kids actually worked that out quicker than some adults. Pretty good little game until we can graduate to the big one!

20230104_185151 (resized).jpg20230104_185151 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1303 1 year ago

Played a couple of games of Dog Park. I think Wingspan is definitely the superior game, but my daughter really enjoyed it, and I appreciate that it moves along pretty quickly.

BGS 20230116 145149 (resized).jpgBGS 20230116 145149 (resized).jpg
#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I have Dog Park but haven't gotten it to the table yet. Bought it to play with my wife as we occasionally play 2P games. How does it play at 2P?

With 2p it uses a bot to cause a little disruption. It's pretty easy to avoid in the bidding if you want to, it always targets the highest value breed, so you can anticipate where it will end up. Through the Park phase it may land on a space you want, which will make you decide between skipping that space or lose a victory point to get the reward. I think it works well enough to throw a little conflict in the mix, otherwise the game would probably be too passive.

#1307 1 year ago

It's hard not to compare Dog Park to Wingspan, and I end up just appreciating Wingspan more because of it. Wingspan just has a more satisfying engine build. Dog Park feels like it has scoring cards and complimentary cards more than an engine. I found myself looking over what other breeds people have to see where I could gain an edge, so if you want player interaction, Dog Park probably excels in that area.

From my limited plays of Dog Park, If you're only going to pickup one, I'd definitely recommend Wingspan.

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

44 pound box arriving from Cephalofair tomorrow…

Is it glorious?

1 month later
#1333 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would like to ask the question here about board games converted to portable games.
Regarding those games, which are the favorites of this group?
Pc ok too. Thanks.
We have excellent places to play near me, but I am not easily able to go play at them.

The Ticket To Ride app has been one of my favorites. Wingspan has an app but I haven't really had much time with it.

Quoted from RyanStl:

I have a friend that plays boardgames online, the only one that comes to mind is Gloomhaven.

I play gloomhaven every Wednesday on PC. It's really well done (with a few UI quirks). I can't imagine the amount of setup and organization required to manually play that game.

3 months later
#1352 10 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

We have been playing Unmatched a lot lately. My buddy has almost all of them and we roll to determine characters. It's a really fun simply game hat is very well thought out. It's kind of like Dice Throne where characters/editions can be swapped in and out, but I like it a lot better.

I've been really close to grabbing these. Glad to hear others like them. Now wish I would have gotten in earlier..

2 weeks later
#1379 9 months ago

What's the best unmatched to start with?

3 weeks later
#1398 8 months ago

Anyone on BGA and want to start an async game? Great Western Trail?

#1400 8 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

My wife and I are loving The Game.
We’re ready for recommendations for another two player cooperative game.

Spirit Island is probably our favorite coop game (my wife and I). It's pretty deep, but if you like strategy card games with deck building, it's about as good as it gets.

Arkham horror card game was fun the single play we gave it. So was the LOTR LCG. There are a few scenarios in the core, but the problem I had was finding a logical order for the next pack, and finding them in stock. I might give it another go, but for now I don't know that I want to fall into a cardboard money suck.

Pandemic Legacy s1 is another we're working through. I really like it at this point, and I actually really dislike the original core game. I found that the movement to cities in order to those exact city cards was so restrictive it wasn't fun without specific roles. Legacy still has a bit of that, but the progressive nature of the game really fixes a lot of the flaws. It's a really fun game.

Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. I'm on a pretty big gloomhaven digital kick the last year or so. It's probably my favorite 'board' game, despite the fact I've practically played it exclusively online. It's actually pretty simple as far as gameplay, but there's a ton of strategy and variety.

Forbidden Island/Desert. I don't really care for this one as it feels a little like going through motions, but the family loves it.

Those I haven't played but as far as I understand are similar to The Game - Hanabi, The Crew

#1406 8 months ago

Finally put together a shelf. Filled it up pretty quick..

20230813_194211 (resized).jpg20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1421 7 months ago
Quoted from TylerTheTired:

Also I want to try Wingspan, because I hear it actually has cool bird facts.

More stats than facts, but there's a lot of cards, and it's pretty fun to observe the birds on the table between turns/plans. One of our go to games, definitely recommend.

3 weeks later
#1426 6 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Anyone on BGA and want to start an async game? Great Western Trail?

I'll throw this out there again. I've been playing BGA a lot, and it's pretty great for a passive fix. It's free, but there are perks for premium (like being able to start certain games).

Can we get a game together? I normally play 1 move per 2 days to keep it really casual. Heat would be a really good quick game. Agricola, viticulture, great western trail, wingspan, ticket to ride.. chime in if you're interested.

3 months later
#1451 81 days ago

Went in for Heat and came out with some extras

PXL_20240203_021202146 (resized).jpgPXL_20240203_021202146 (resized).jpg

#1457 80 days ago

Played the intro game of Sky Team tonight. I really liked it.
Nice and concise. I'm looking forward to another play.

#1462 77 days ago

I played through all of gloomhaven digitally with a group. We played about 2 scenarios a week, and I think it took us about 2 years. We just started working into Jaws of the Lion now. Hopefully by the time we're done Frosthaven will have gone digital.

I have JOTL physical too, and actually have it setup on my pool table right now for a solo run. I'm not loving the solo manual rules analysis/execution. Overall I really like the game though.

#1464 76 days ago

I play on PC, but it's also now available on xbox/ps5

1 month later
#1467 34 days ago

I've been playing a bit of Barrage on BGA. Really interesting game.

One that I'm still having trouble with is Anachrony. There are some mechanics I like, but there's something about it that just doesn't click.

Outside of something like gloomhaven, I'm ready to crown Sky Team as my favorite 2p co-op game ever. We still have quite a bit of the core game to go and there's a lot of replayability, but I'll snatch up any expansions immediately.

Lastly, my kids recently got into a DnD campaign and are loving it. I jumped into DND beyond on a sale after trying to manage with pdf copies. Not perfect, but I don't need any more physical media in my house at the moment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there?tu=Deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.