800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 30.
#401 5 years ago

What sucked for me was that I bought Shadows Over Camelot and could never assemble 5 players to play the game properly with the chance of a traitor which is what makes the game great! So I sold it on eBay for half of what I payed for it. Hell, I like to model and was even considering building a custom table for it in the game room.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shadows+over+camelot+table&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij5dLw1tDcAhUI_IMKHVO7AX0Q_AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=922&dpr=2#imgrc=sXvZdcdcBYyr3M:

#402 5 years ago

Got my kickstarter copy of brass and birmingham 2 days ago. Its set up for play tonight already and the scotch glasses are in the freezer.

The quality is absolutely outstanding.

received_10155276781412924 (resized).jpegreceived_10155276781412924 (resized).jpeg
#403 5 years ago

Gencon has begun. My buddies are a little crazy about it.

download_20180803_093823 (resized).jpgdownload_20180803_093823 (resized).jpg
#404 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Gencon has begun. My buddies are a little crazy about it.[quoted image]

My wife would kill me...and then I would just point at the pinballs downstairs....that would calm her down
Did you end up playing some of these games, I see some are pre-realeases like The Mysterious Forest, Paper Tales, Coimbra and Reef

#405 5 years ago

as bad as I want kingdom death I dont wanna shell out the hundreds for it.. And I have too many games like sword & sorcery that me and my buddies cant even find a set schedule for as it is

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

My wife would kill me...and then I would just point at the pinballs downstairs....that would calm her down
Did you end up playing some of these games, I see some are pre-realeases like The Mysterious Forest, Paper Tales, Coimbra and Reef

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it this year. They're just showing me what I'm missing.

I'll have the chance to play them soon...

KDM - that game is good, crazy amount of stuff, can be very frustrating when you roll bad and end up with a TPK and have to start over!

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Gencon has begun. My buddies are a little crazy about it.[quoted image]

I think they need a bigger boat. Gencon is a good time.

#408 5 years ago

A few of my friends and I have been getting together nearly every Friday for the past 7 years to play board games. Last week we played Scythe, what an incredible game with a ton of strategy and depth. I would highly recommend it.

20180727_224632 (resized).jpg20180727_224632 (resized).jpg

#409 5 years ago

We played King of Tokyo with my daughter. She loved it. She needs some coaching with the nuance of the game (she's 4), but it's 100x better than playing the shopkins board game.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A few of my friends and I have been getting together nearly every Friday for the past 7 years to play board games. Last week we played Scythe, what an incredible game with a ton of strategy and depth. I would highly recommend it.

It's becoming one of my favorites. I just wish making peasants flee from a giant mech did not drain popularity...

The expansions are a worth it too. They have one coming out before the end of the year that is episodic. That could really be interesting.

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think they need a bigger boat. Gencon is a good time.

And that's only day 1!

#412 5 years ago

Nemo's War arriving today! Really looking forward to breaking in my new gaming table & trying it out this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion Groo

If you guys hear any cool GenCon news, post it here. I'm curious what the hot new upcoming games are.

#413 5 years ago

I just finished playing my 4th different motive in Nemo and it really does change the game a lot. I just started a new one and going all out War! Luckily the Nautilus upgrades that are showing are all battle based upgrades. Just plotting my strategy to use the white non warships as salvage so I can use those Nautilus upgrades, and using the warships I take down as tonnage in the oceans I sink them in. So many moving parts and options, but also such an easy way to keep track of all of them. One thing I might suggest, unless you have a larger table, is one of the mini dice tower contraptions. Toss your dice in the top and they roll out into a tray. Keeps them from spilling onto the board and disrupting what is all kept track of on there.

#414 5 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

It's becoming one of my favorites. I just wish making peasants flee from a giant mech did not drain popularity...
The expansions are a worth it too. They have one coming out before the end of the year that is episodic. That could really be interesting.

The Rise of Fenris is their final expansion and is the 8 game campaign one with some secrets to be revealed. I already have it from being a member but it should be out in stores within the next couple of weeks. I'm waiting for my Broken Token to arrive shortly so I can put everything into the big Legendary box. (I already have the original BT insert, this one I'm waiting for just includes inserts for the Wind Gambit and ROF expansions)

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

I just finished playing my 4th different motive in Nemo and it really does change the game a lot. I just started a new one and going all out War! Luckily the Nautilus upgrades that are showing are all battle based upgrades. Just plotting my strategy to use the white non warships as salvage so I can use those Nautilus upgrades, and using the warships I take down as tonnage in the oceans I sink them in. So many moving parts and options, but also such an easy way to keep track of all of them. One thing I might suggest, unless you have a larger table, is one of the mini dice tower contraptions. Toss your dice in the top and they roll out into a tray. Keeps them from spilling onto the board and disrupting what is all kept track of on there.

Awesome! I did my first game play last weekend & achieved success on my explorer quest. I really really enjoyed it. Thankfully I have a large table to play on. Love the fact these are so many decisions to make in this game, and you really have to plan accordingly. Also enjoy risk vs reward choices on your dice rolls. Those snake eye rolls are awful! That said I realize that I made some mistakes after finishing, such as properly deducting DRM for warships in my ocean, calculating damage during battles, and correctly deducting wagered asesst on failed dice rolls. There is an awful lot to account for on each roll, but it became more familiar as the game went on. I bet I can crank out a game in half the time next time.

If anyone looking for a fun & complex solo game, you'll enjoy Nemo's War. Thanks again for the recommendation.

#416 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Let me know when you play this again. I have had it since it first came out.

Brian

#417 5 years ago

A few things to look out for in Nemo and thankfully it's printed on the board. Some actions deduct 1 DRM if a ship is present, others subtract DRM based on how many warships are present, so a bit tricky. I played on the easy/sailor level the first 3 and no on normal mode. Not sure I can handle the Captain difficulty.

2 weeks later
#418 5 years ago

Anyone here play Dungeon Degenerates? Having a lot of fun with this game.

49DEE313-DF05-43C2-843E-86A3B337DBB7 (resized).jpeg49DEE313-DF05-43C2-843E-86A3B337DBB7 (resized).jpeg

#419 5 years ago

Anyone play Warhammer 40k.. I been playing infinity for about a year and now me and my brother in law are picking up 40k

#420 5 years ago

I am counting the days to X-Wing Second edition

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You should try gaslands. Lot of fun. Cheap to play too. Rule book is cheap and just some matchbox cars and your good to go. Its a blast

#422 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Yeah what's the deal with that? Game mechanics different from the first? I've been meaning to research the differences but I never got around to it. People have a lot of money invested with the first edition, so I'm sure they aren't happy that they have to drop more money on multiple conversion kits from their old ships to keep playing.

I'm glad I held off on buying. When do the second edition sets hit stores?

#423 5 years ago

I bought Istanbul 2 years ago and have yet to have anyone agree to play it with me. Haha.

#424 5 years ago

Plenty of gloomhaven in stock at coolstuffinc. I just went on an epic 3 hour quest only to lose at the end

#425 5 years ago

Does anyone remember APBA Baseball? That is an oldie but goodie that is more popular than ever and still puts out stats and cards for every team each year. Lots of fun, especially if you are into scorekeeping and statistics. Quite realistic and only $30.

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What is this? I have a ton of X-wing minis, but stopped collecting a couple of years ago.

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Anyone here play Dungeon Degenerates? Having a lot of fun with this game.
[quoted image]

this game looks great. Fun?

#428 5 years ago

Trying to find a good runthrought of the island of el dorado...anyone have a link?

#429 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this game looks great. Fun?

Yep, Dungeon Degenerates is a lot of fun! Great cooperative adventure with beautiful artwork. It includes many missions that are connected and branch so the decisions you make will affect how the game flows and twist the story. Highly recommended!

Basic information...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/210232/dungeon-degenerates-hand-doom

Check out at least the Introduction in the rule book here...
http://www.dungeondegenerates.com/DOWNLOADS/DUNGEONDEGENERATESTHERULES.pdf

Here's a decent How To Play video...

#430 5 years ago

Not sure if I've shared this here or not, but I am retheming a Hardbody into Pandemic. Below is a very rough draft of the lower playfield. I will still be adding some additional graphics and text. The two target banks on the lower playfield will represent the blue and yellow diseases. The upper playfield will contain the green (black) and orange (red) diseases. Because I'm working with the existing rules of Hardbody it's impossible to completely recreate the game, but the basic storyline of the machine will be to travel the world to collect samples from the four diseases to create a cure. The progress of the cure will be tracked with a custom interactive topper. Completing one of each target bank advances the cure effectiveness and award 20K-25K. Based on the rules of Hardbody, there will be bonuses at 33% (40K), 66% (40k) and 100% (350k).

Follow along or make suggestions here...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retheme-idea-pandemic-board-game

Few artistic notes...
1) I'm going to try to fade to a color other then black, but I'm struggling blending in another color. The plastics will be more of a light blue with a yellow and black caution tape around them. I'll obviously add some pictures and text to those too, but that as far as I've gotten at this point.
2) The petri dish and smoke line up with the extra ball and playfield multipliers.
3) Besides the two target banks the upper playfield will also have a "positive mutation" loop and "CDC" in line drop targets.
4) The flex save feature will be an "emergency evacuation". Since the existing rollover targets are orange, I'll probably use a helicopter similar to the coast guard for that image.
Pandemic Layout (resized).pngPandemic Layout (resized).png

#431 5 years ago

While i get that most top boardgame list rankings are meant to be taken with a grain of salt i was wondering i fthere was an alternative place to see rankings apart from boardgamegeek?

#432 5 years ago

The Dice Tower puts out a lot of lists.

#433 5 years ago

Pandemic looks like a good coop game. I'm thinking I'll buy it for a camping trip this weekend. I want a coop game for the hothead poor sports that I go with every year. I'm hoping to minimize the butthurt that's inevitable with the games of risk we typically play. Any other suggestions?

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Pandemic looks like a good coop game. I'm thinking I'll buy it for a camping trip this weekend. I want a coop game for the hothead poor sports that I go with every year. I'm hoping to minimize the butthurt that's inevitable with the games of risk we typically play. Any other suggestions?

I really like Mansions if Maness a lot Or House on Haunted Hill. Pandemic is a good choice too though.

#435 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I really like Mansions if Maness a lot Or House on Haunted Hill. Pandemic is a good choice too though.

We are doing a lot of Mansions of Madness lately; I am getting frustrated with all the pieces! Just bought a 3D printer to help manage the cards and tokens

#436 5 years ago

I think Pandemic is a fine choice if you are used to playing risk while camping. Personally, I'd try to find something with a lot less pieces. Maybe one of the Forbidden games. Not my favorites, but cheap and portable. Perhaps also bring Cash and Guns. That way they can at least take out their "butthurt" by pointing a foam guns at each other.

4 weeks later
#437 5 years ago

Time to wake this back up! I've got so many unplayed games right now that I'm tackling at least 1 new game a week til year end. Last week was Dinosaur Island and that game is fantastic. My group was pretty skeptical at first but after one complete round they all got it and it turned into a great gaming experience. They have short, medium, and long versions also to choose from so that was nice. Random Plot Twist cards change some rules to make each game different from the last.

On my short "to do" list for the coming weeks. Werewolf Legacy, Firefly Adventures, TIME Stories, and Root.

Got a few Kickstarters shipping or on the boat right now. Montana, Vindication, and Fireball Island.

Anybody else have some un-played games they want to hit?

#438 5 years ago

Well this guy came in the mail the other day fresh from Kickstarter. I have the whole collection of tiny epic games. Their current Kickstarter is tiny epic mechs.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Time to wake this back up! I've got so many unplayed games right now that I'm tackling at least 1 new game a week til year end. Last week was Dinosaur Island and that game is fantastic. My group was pretty skeptical at first but after one complete round they all got it and it turned into a great gaming experience. They have short, medium, and long versions also to choose from so that was nice. Random Plot Twist cards change some rules to make each game different from the last.
On my short "to do" list for the coming weeks. Werewolf Legacy, Firefly Adventures, TIME Stories, and Root.
Got a few Kickstarters shipping or on the boat right now. Montana, Vindication, and Fireball Island.
Anybody else have some un-played games they want to hit?

Ive got too many to count. Im guessing about 20ish.

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Thanks for the recommendations. We played House on Haunted Hill last year. I was the guy that got broken off, and there were fits about how I chose to move my player to capture the others (and win). It's probably comical for anyone watching, but being a part of it is downright exhausting. I'm a pretty passive guy, and dealing with overly aggressive players really drains me.

Pandemic was a success this year! We played several games, and there was only one outburst. That's practically a happy-times HOF entry for this group.

We also played Catan. It was my first go at that game, and I bought it as soon as I got home. I can understand why people like it so much.

-----

Next up I have a trip with another part of my family and all of our kids. A much more reasonable group - I'll definitely bring King of Tokyo, as I think that will be a big hit with the kids. I may also bring Ticket to Ride (I've yet to play) and Catan to see if we can get either the kids or the adults into it (after the kids are in bed)

-----

Maybe it was already recommended, but what are some of the better games for 2 players? I'd like to get something that my wife and I can play together, without seriously compromised gameplay.

#441 5 years ago

Maybe it was already recommended, but what are some of the better games for 2 players? I'd like to get something that my wife and I can play together, without seriously compromised gameplay.

Ticket to Ride is actually great for 2 players.

#442 5 years ago

7 Wonders Duel is our favorite 2 player game. Next is Rebellion, but that is quite a different beast.

#443 5 years ago

I have a sizable collection. Just picked up a black knight from zev himself from zman games, responsible for pandemic, fixed his safecracker too that he lent us, hes a nice guy he gave me some game to try that is a blatant rip off the artwork of alladin, someone oversees sent it to him to publish

24671 (resized).jpeg24671 (resized).jpeg24672 (resized).jpeg24672 (resized).jpeg
#444 5 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. We played House on Haunted Hill last year. I was the guy that got broken off, and there were fits about how I chose to move my player to capture the others (and win). It's probably comical for anyone watching, but being a part of it is downright exhausting. I'm a pretty passive guy, and dealing with overly aggressive players really drains me.
Pandemic was a success this year! We played several games, and there was only one outburst. That's practically a happy-times HOF entry for this group.
We also played Catan. It was my first go at that game, and I bought it as soon as I got home. I can understand why people like it so much.
-----
Next up I have a trip with another part of my family and all of our kids. A much more reasonable group - I'll definitely bring King of Tokyo, as I think that will be a big hit with the kids. I may also bring Ticket to Ride (I've yet to play) and Catan to see if we can get either the kids or the adults into it (after the kids are in bed)
-----

Are you guys talking abou “Betrayal at House on the Hill” or is it a new game I’ve not heard of?

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you guys talking abou “Betrayal at House on the Hill” or is it a new game I’ve not heard of?

That's the game I was referring to

#446 5 years ago

Pulled the trigger on the Carson City Big Box edition. Living in Reno, this one was a no brainer. Looks like fun worker placement game, Wild West theme, duel against other players, stealing, etc. Did I need to buy the metal coins? No but I couldn’t resist.

22B328EC-BEBC-4969-8F75-432E457045D2 (resized).jpeg22B328EC-BEBC-4969-8F75-432E457045D2 (resized).jpeg
A67CD285-EADA-411A-89CC-BE8F2EF80AC4 (resized).jpegA67CD285-EADA-411A-89CC-BE8F2EF80AC4 (resized).jpeg

#447 5 years ago

I used to play Heroquest alot as a young whippersnapper, still have it.

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

We picked up this game recently.
Very clever and unique.
Rules are pretty simple, but the strategy can be challenging.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230802/azul

[quoted image][quoted image]

This is a fantastic game, you are gonna love it. Great balance with strategy. Azul will be a new classic, I'm sure. Absolutely gorgeous game too.

images (1) (resized).jpegimages (1) (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#449 5 years ago

The new Arkham Horror 3rd edition is fun. Kind of a hodgepodge of a bunch of Fantasy Flight games. Of course, we got crushed in our first game.

#450 5 years ago

I almost bought Azul when target had it's 3 for 2 sale going on, but I couldn't find other games to pair with it. I also do own Patchwork, which hasn't hit the table yet. How similar are they? For my group games need to be around a 2.0 to 2.5 difficulty to make the range with a play time of 90 minutes or less. Both seemed to fit in that aspect.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.