2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 639 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 119 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMan (resized).JPG
DE766878-8ADD-4E6F-836D-594218DF2FA5 (resized).jpeg
33430AB1-A510-47AD-BD10-A8FA7C25EA0D (resized).jpeg
IMG_0408 (resized).jpg
8D8CE05F-0F24-4F13-8E09-1C894FB505E6 (resized).png
TheHorde (resized).png
SFBv1-3 (resized).png
1545831031261429044585031269475 (resized).jpg
20181225_103713 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181216_224147 (resized).jpg
received_1167089210124754 (resized).jpeg
images-1 (resized).jpg
il_340x270.1614984238_8i9q (resized).jpg
IMG_20181127_1953395.jpg
IMG_20181127_1953480.jpg
Arkham Horror Rabbit Hole (resized).JPG

There are 639 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 1 year ago

Got my 7th Continent last week...the only problem is Gloomhaven won’t let me stop playing it. Huge dilemma. Love me some board games. Should I back Fireball Island?

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

Should I back Fireball Island

I did. That should be reason enough for you. Lol.

Honestly it was a great game in the 80’s. I think this version will be worth the investment

#303 1 year ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

Got my 7th Continent last week...the only problem is Gloomhaven won’t let me stop playing it. Huge dilemma. Love me some board games. Should I back Fireball Island?

We also have a 4 player Gloomhaven campaign going and it has been a blast. I was worried T7C would cut into that time but as it turns out it's really not a great 4 player experience. I played the Crystal Song curse solo once, then again with my son, then with the 4 player GH group, but that didn't go well at all. With 4 it seemed like a lot of down time and people splitting off into 2 groups. Definitely a 1-2 player game, and may be able to squeeze a third without it getting boring for the group.

Oh yes, back the Fireball island! I put in the basic pledge and will add the 5 player and some of the other options later on in the pledge manager. Will be a fun game for the holidays.

#304 1 year ago

Pledging for Fireball Island is my first kickstarter. Is there anything I need to be aware about or need to do? (managing pledges, altering them, etc)

Or do I just sit back and wait?

Thanks

#305 1 year ago

Sit and wait. After the kickstarter you will be sent to the pledge manager and you will be able to modify / add stuff

1 week later
#306 1 year ago

FYI. It looks like coolstuffinc.com is taking presale orders of Gloomhaven. Estimated to ship june or july. I cannot stress enough how awesome this game is. I am planning on getting a 2nd copy just for me to play solo with 4 characters. My wife and I are only playing 1 character each for a party of 2. I'd like to see what a larger group of 4 is like

#307 1 year ago

Did Fireball Island hit all their stretch goals?

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Did Fireball Island hit all their stretch goals?

YES

#309 1 year ago

That's sweet!! Didn't see them and figured they must have hit them all and gave up on creating any more.

#310 1 year ago

Well I gave in a bought $60 plus $15 shipping. I still think that's quite a bit for a kids game, but maybe I can resell that extra card box to recover some of that back. When I backed Rising Sun, I was able to resell one of the extra boxes to pay for the entire game.

#311 1 year ago

They hit all the stretch goals and are adding one final one as a reward to backers.

#312 1 year ago

I gave in too....all in on Fireball Island. Did anyone else back Western Legends? I am super excited for that game.

#313 1 year ago

I just backed brook city....i downgraded my purchase on fireball island and just got rhe base with the painted minis. I figured i could probably get the expansions later if i wanted to

#314 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What games would you suggest to a group of fairly inexperienced gamers? I've got them to play things like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo, etc. They aren't going to play anything too deep, too long, too much waiting, or require too much reading. At the same time I'd like to keep pushing them with the complexity a little bit.

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great game with the right crowd and its pretty easy to pick up and learn. One game that I have had good success with in an inexperienced group, is Forbidden Island. Since it is a co-op game everyone can help each other. Good team building on that one. A quick game with very little wait time is Tiki Topple.

1 week later
#315 1 year ago

I received the Kickstarter Survey Confirmation for my Crypt order today. They are still showing 10-01-18 for the manufacture date. I did the Crypt Tiles with Variant Rulebook too.

#316 1 year ago

Just curious what everyone is doing with the add-ons in the pledge manager for the Fireball Island game?

What are your guys' thoughts on the add-ons and which ones will you most likely choose?

#317 1 year ago

The Armchair Detective connected me today to let me know the Mysterious Case #117, The Kidnapped Crossworder, needs my shipping address confirmation. Looks like it should arrive this summer.

#318 1 year ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great game with the right crowd and its pretty easy to pick up and learn. One game that I have had good success with in an inexperienced group, is Forbidden Island. Since it is a co-op game everyone can help each other. Good team building on that one. A quick game with very little wait time is Tiki Topple.

Yeah, we got a little burnt out on Sheriff of Nottingham. I still like it, but my friends kids really-really like it. I also do have Forbidden Island, but it's rare that I'd break that out instead of Pandemic or Flash Point. Never heard of Tiki Topple. I actually bought some decent games at Goodwill over the weekend. I noticed they had a copy of Pandemic Legacy. The Legacy game was used so, I didn't have any interest in that, but that got me looking. First, I found a copy of No Thanks. Next, I came across a copy of Citadels. Finally, I noticed a game called Are You The Traitor? I've never heard of it, but it looked like it could be decent. Paid $5 for all three, so that was pretty exciting.

Just curious what everyone is doing with the add-ons in the pledge manager for the Fireball Island game?
What are your guys' thoughts on the add-ons and which ones will you most likely choose?

I'm not going to add on anything.

#319 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I am in the same boat I think; given the base games cost plus shipping, and that I plan on playing with my kids mainly, the extra setup and fiddlyness seems not worth it.

e.g. if you add the extra small marbles on each side of the island, it is more to set up at the game start, and more to accidentally knock over as you play, and more to get knocked over and re-set up each time you send marbles through the scar.

It feels like "too much of a good thing" at that point.

#320 1 year ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

The Armchair Detective connected me today to let me know the Mysterious Case #117, The Kidnapped Crossworder, needs my shipping address confirmation. Looks like it should arrive this summer.

Got mine a few months ago. It's pretty neat, and quality is great.

#321 1 year ago

I just went for the base game + expansions tier.

#323 1 year ago

For Fireball Island I caved in and got all the expansions. Also did the card sleeves and the painted minis. I'm just not that good at painting yet. This one has the potential to be that game I can take to any family outing and everybody can enjoy playing it. Kind of like Survive! without all the cutthroat, backstabbing, and hating each other.

#324 1 year ago

Subscribing to this thread, starting to get into boardgames

#325 1 year ago

I went all in on Fireball Island as well. I thought the pirate ship add-on expansion looked pretty cool, so why not Also got the sleeves too, but passed on the painted figures. I'll enjoy painting those myself.

I started looking into the other titles that Restoration Games has released so far. I was pretty excited when I saw they did a Stop Thief remake, as I loved that game as a kid. But I ended up buying a copy of Downforce instead, along with the expansion preorder that gets released later this year. Looks like a very cool Indycar racing game that's fun for a large group of players.

#326 1 year ago

Just recently got on the Mansions of Madness / Arkham train, and we LOVE it. Mansions comes with an app which you must use to play the game and which cuts down setup time considerably - but it also includes ambient music so I throw it to the tv so we can all see the board.

I was a grouch about the app at first (“what?! We can’t get away from the screens!”), but it actually helped pique my son’s interest (huge win) and I love the atmosphere it provides.

So my kid is 8, and he was all about the miniatures and the app, and really got into the story. I cheated a little at the end so we would win our first game but definitely looking forward to future campaigns...

Streets of Arkham is coming soon too..

#327 1 year ago

Anyone get in on the Hellboy kickstarter? Been on the fence all month. I was a full backer on Batman Gotham City Chronicles, and while the game mechanics might be different, the overall gameplay for both games looks pretty similar to me. Probably going to pass.

1 week later
#328 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am in the same boat I think; given the base games cost plus shipping, and that I plan on playing with my kids mainly, the extra setup and fiddlyness seems not worth it.
e.g. if you add the extra small marbles on each side of the island, it is more to set up at the game start, and more to accidentally knock over as you play, and more to get knocked over and re-set up each time you send marbles through the scar.
It feels like "too much of a good thing" at that point.

Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I just went for the base game + expansions tier.

Quoted from Groo:

For Fireball Island I caved in and got all the expansions. Also did the card sleeves and the painted minis.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I went all in on Fireball Island as well. I thought the pirate ship add-on expansion looked pretty cool, so why not Also got the sleeves too, but passed on the painted figures. I'll enjoy painting those myself.

Thanks for the input guys. I did the base game + expansions...but I don't think I'll be adding anything.

#329 1 year ago

Anybody out there buy the KS expansion for Rising Sun? I didn't want to add the extra $60 at the time but thinking I want the expansion now and don't want to pay the outrageous price of ~$100 for just the bonus plastics. I figured if I wanted them later I would pay the inflated price of about $25...

#330 1 year ago

We picked up this game recently.
Very clever and unique.
Rules are pretty simple, but the strategy can be challenging.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230802/azul

azul (resized).jpg

azul2 (resized).jpg

#331 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

We picked up this game recently.
Very clever and unique.
Rules are pretty simple, but the strategy can be challenging.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230802/azul

Yes simple concept, but lots of strategy. Requires balance of obtaining your needs while preventing opponents from getting theirs. I picked up a copy after watching a youtube "how to play" video. Haven't had a chance to play yet though.

#332 1 year ago

My first game I got stuck with my whole penalty row being filled in one round. I've learned a few things since then. We just started playing with the flip side of the boards now too and that really raises the challenge.

Quick shout out for Roll Player and Sagrada. Both dice drafting games and really well done. It's been those 2, Azul, and Gloomhaven dominating our game nights lately. Rising Sun made it to the table as well and going to a lot more often.

#333 1 year ago

I am going to ask my board game question. After my set up.

I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. I cannot stress how this will change your life.

After I was recovering, and this is not over. I tried to play scrabble again.

I could not complete a single word now. It was very sobering.

I will never forget that time when I tried to play, searched my mind and came up completely empty.

(I was nearly unbeatable before.)

This was a year ago.

I am not better. I never will be...

We returned to scrabble and the game seemed to work my brain in all of the right ways.

So, my question now.

This was a great thing for my brain and my time with my fiancée Veronika.

She is the one who consoled me when I could not form a word.

What games like scrabble might be good in everyone's opinion. Must be a two player game.

I suggested we try magic she said no.

#334 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

Rising Sun made it to the table as well and going to a lot more often.

For those that have played both Blood Rage & Rising Sun, which game do you prefer? Both Viking & Japanese themes are appealing to me, just wondering if one has the better gameplay/rules over the other. Rising Sun seems a bit more complicated, but damn those miniatures are amazing.

#335 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

What games like scrabble might be good in everyone's opinion. Must be a two player game.

In your case, I'd look at Carcassone. A simple but very popular tile laying game about building pastures, roads & castles. Works well with two players, large groups & people of all ages. I don't play word games, so I can't help you there.

#336 1 year ago

Azmodeus I would suggest the one pictured above, Azul. Pick all of one type of tile and then place it on your board. The tiles are pictured on the board where they can go and then when that is mastered, it can be flipped over and you have to align them yourself. As simple and as challenging as you want it to be and a lot of fun. Plus the game goes very fast.

Hoaky I couldn't believe how easy Rising Sun was to pick up and play, and teach. Really simple mechanics. The cards/monsters you can draft each season is where the real complexity comes in and the fun. The rounds go super quick up until the end of each season where you do the battles. It is one of those games though where you look up at the clock and wonder what the heck happened the last 90 minutes. It flies by.

#337 1 year ago

Well I guess I'll have to go back & take a look at Rising Sun again. Being easy to pickup & play is big factor for me. I prefer the Japanese theme anyway. Thanks for the input! Sounds like those expansions are hard to come by.

#338 1 year ago

Has anyone else played any games from the “Tiny Epic” franchise? What do you think. I have got most of them from Kickstarter, although I haven’t played them all yet.

https://www.gamelyngames.com/tiny-epic/

#339 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My wife and i play Ascension more than any other game. There are many versions of the game but the first is still my favorite.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69789/ascension-deckbuilding-game

#340 1 year ago

Like Scrabble? Letter Tycoon or Paperback

#341 1 year ago

I played ascension myself in the iPad for like 40 hours. Thank you for all the tips I am going to try most if not all of these.

#342 1 year ago

In case anyone is interested Nemesis opened their late pledge portal yesterday

#343 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

In case anyone is interested Nemesis opened their late pledge portal yesterday

Don't know much about it but it looks cool. What are your thoughts on it?

#344 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Don't know much about it but it looks cool. What are your thoughts on it?

I thought it was a cool campaign and from the few videos thati looked at i figuredit qould be a cool coop (backstabbing) in my collection. I got the core box.

#345 1 year ago

Read up on it tonight & decided to jump in. Almost like an Aliens board game, with the backstabbing element. Very cool, thanks for the heads up!

#346 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am going to ask my board game question. After my set up.
I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. I cannot stress how this will change your life.
After I was recovering, and this is not over. I tried to play scrabble again.
I could not complete a single word now. It was very sobering.
I will never forget that time when I tried to play, searched my mind and came up completely empty.
(I was nearly unbeatable before.)
This was a year ago.
I am not better. I never will be...
We returned to scrabble and the game seemed to work my brain in all of the right ways.
So, my question now.
This was a great thing for my brain and my time with my fiancée Veronika.
She is the one who consoled me when I could not form a word.

Consider other styles as well. Any game that stimulates the way you think and communicate is good for you.

I enjoy Dixit. It’s kind of an abstract art and image based game. It might just be stimulating.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39856/dixit

Some of the fun and short games might be enjoyable.

Simple humorous card game: Exploding Kittens
amazon.com link »

Simple puzzle style game with pieces: Castellan
http://www.sjgames.com/castellan/

Definitely consider Words with Friends. It’s a scrabble style app for your phone. Play with friends any time.

#347 1 year ago

Thank again everyone. I am begining to have no problem with scrabble.

The time for something new is this week.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

My local game store in Fullerton is very nice and they play games there all day all the time.

I can also take Veronika later and see if anything catches her eye.

I still can't forget I suggested magic, which I love, Veronika was like "no I don't think so.."

image (resized).jpeg
#348 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Has anyone else played any games from the “Tiny Epic” franchise? What do you think. I have got most of them from Kickstarter, although I haven’t played them all yet.
https://www.gamelyngames.com/tiny-epic/

Tiny epic galaxies I like a lot. That’s the only one I have played.

#349 1 year ago

Anyone going to Origins?

#350 1 year ago

I am going on origins someday. Columbus Ohio. So far from where I live...

Someday though. For Sure I wouldn't miss it if I lived near it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
PinBoss Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Star Wars Premium Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 639 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside