800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.
#251 6 years ago

Good golly, it's up to almost 1 million dollars in just two days. Impressive.

Maybe someone should make a Fireball Island pin.

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from chill:

In too. Should make a good Christmas present if it ships in November.

When is the last time a kickstarter game actually shipped on time though?

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I would say 15% do.

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I’ve had several ship early, although not many. Most are delayed a bit.

#255 6 years ago

Are there any incentive for buying through kickstarter versus waiting for retail?

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Are there any incentive for buying through kickstarter versus waiting for retail?

A bit cheaper and you get exclusive stuff (ex. if the campaing reaches 1.25M people get exclusive marbels). Some campaigns have more exclusive stuff than others.

I've just backed Crypt as well because it was only $17 (including shipping to Canada), Only $13 for US customers and thought the art looked great.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadtoinfamy/crypt-1?ref=user_menu

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#257 6 years ago

Also the guarantee of getting one. Some of them only have a limited amount going to retail and they get snatched up quickly. The 2nd run of Gloomhaven showed up in shops in decent quantity for about 3 days and were gone.

#258 6 years ago

Yeah, I know that some games increase in value after the kickstarter, however there are lots of examples where games are the same price or cheaper at retail. You can get a copy of their last kickstarter game for $20 now. It was $30 in the kickstarter and I'm not sure that included shipping.

#259 6 years ago

Is the deadline for backing this May 3rd?

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Is the deadline for backing this May 3rd?

Yes but you are also locking your position in the cue by backing early (unless I am mistaken)

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yes but you are also locking your position in the cue by backing early (unless I am mistaken)

OK thanks. I'm hesitant/leary of KS's, but will nearly a million USD backing this already I feel confident.

Now I just need to decide on choosing the 60$ pledge or the 130$ pledge.

(I assume the extra 20$ for Canadians is the shipping costs)

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

OK thanks. I'm hesitant/leary of KS's, but will nearly a million USD backing this already I feel confident.
Now I just need to decide on choosing the 60$ pledge or the 130$ pledge.
(I assume the extra 20$ for Canadians is the shipping costs)

Shipping is a flat $20 wether you get the base game or the entire kit. I haven't backed many games. I've backed a few late pledges when I know the games where almost done. Now with that said, when I plaedge I tend to look at the creators backgrounds. People like Lucky Ducks Games have successfully done many kickstarters so they should be trusted to deliver. Same thing goes to Restoration Games, they produced stop thief last year with great success.

#263 6 years ago

I backed Rising Sun last year. So many Kickstarter exclusives included with that one.

#264 6 years ago

Haven't played board games in a while, but for a long time my group was into Stone Age, Runebound, Alien Frontiers, King of Tokyo, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Ticket to Ride, Lost Cities etc etc... We still play them occasionally. Anything lighthearted and fairly quick like those I've missed out on in the past few years you guys would recommend?

#265 6 years ago

evanc 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Flash Point would be my next additions.

#266 6 years ago

A bit cheaper and you get exclusive stuff (ex. if the campaing reaches 1.25M people get exclusive marbels). Some campaigns have more exclusive stuff than others.
I've just backed Crypt as well because it was only $17 (including shipping to Canada), Only $13 for US customers and thought the art looked great.

Also backed Crypt
$13 seems like such a good deal

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I backed Rising Sun last year. So many Kickstarter exclusives included with that one.

This was the one that gave me a bad taste about the direction KS games are going. I had a lot of money in there and couldn't justify another $50 for the other expansion, for a game I wasn't even sure about at the time (it is a fun game BTW). Now if I want to have a complete game I need to overpay on eBay for that expansion because of the exclusive plastics in there that will match the game I have. Mixing the cardboard yin/yang tokens and fortresses with the base games plastics is just bad. So I guess I saved $50 in the long run because I won't buy the expansion now.

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

evanc 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Flash Point would be my next additions.

7 Wonders is one we haven't tried. I've got Pandemic and Flash Point, co-op is always fun. Also reminded me of Forbidden Island, that's a good one. Thanks! I'll give 7 Wonders a shot. Some of the new stuff looks fun too, I probably just need to hit up one of our local game stores.

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

This was the one that gave me a bad taste about the direction KS games are going. I had a lot of money in there and couldn't justify another $50 for the other expansion, for a game I wasn't even sure about at the time (it is a fun game BTW). Now if I want to have a complete game I need to overpay on eBay for that expansion because of the exclusive plastics in there that will match the game I have. Mixing the cardboard yin/yang tokens and fortresses with the base games plastics is just bad. So I guess I saved $50 in the long run because I won't buy the expansion now.

Rising Sun worked great for me. I sold the kickstarter exclusives and recouped the entire cost of the game. Personally, I rarely need the expansions. There are so many games out there that unless it's my absolute favorite the base game is enough for me.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from evanc:

Haven't played board games in a while, but for a long time my group was into Stone Age, Runebound, Alien Frontiers, King of Tokyo, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Ticket to Ride, Lost Cities etc etc... We still play them occasionally. Anything lighthearted and fairly quick like those I've missed out on in the past few years you guys would recommend?

Azul is coming back into stock everywhere and is a great game. Very easy quick gameplay. Century Spice Road and Clank! fill our light and quick needs.

#271 6 years ago

Fireball Island Kickstarter...insane!!

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg
762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There’s a list of Kickstarter exclusive items that won’t be available in retail. This list will grow as more stretch goals are unlocked. D02FF9E2-5D6F-4FB0-86A0-8D642564254B (resized).pngD02FF9E2-5D6F-4FB0-86A0-8D642564254B (resized).png

#273 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on Crypt! I'm in for two sets as of yesterday.

#274 6 years ago

At least they are giving you a chance to buy the exclusives. I'm more likely to support something that doesn't punish you for not spending everything up front.

I think with KS I've cooled a bit because it seems less like a place to get a pie in the sky project funded, and more of a way to eliminate the middle man and the FLGS. Now not all are like that, but it seems a lot are going that way. I'm all for the maker to get as much money as they can, and they deserve it. But I'm also trying to support the guy that owns the local game store to keep his lights on and giving us places to meet up and play games.

So in my hypocrisy, Batman-not supporting with gun to head "buy now" expansions and exlusives, Fireball-supporting as you can buy exclusives later while stock remains, and the board game will end up in retail down the line.

#275 6 years ago

Fireball island Repro at PAX East.

F3BD7D52-DCBF-4D17-8710-52D155550224 (resized).jpegF3BD7D52-DCBF-4D17-8710-52D155550224 (resized).jpeg

00F5A0FB-6E02-4F5F-B9C6-5712A7D6051D (resized).jpeg00F5A0FB-6E02-4F5F-B9C6-5712A7D6051D (resized).jpeg

#276 6 years ago

Nice! Giving away atomic fireball candy too. Looks a little smaller than I envisioned but cool nonetheless. I'd like to see how it fits in the box. Probably just stack all 3 together in some capacity.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Looks a little smaller than I envisioned but cool nonetheless.

Yeah I thought it was bigger than that too but will still be a centerpiece in the game board collection.

#278 6 years ago

The line to play was super long!

#279 6 years ago

I like what Restoration is doing and what they did with Stop Thief. I should say STILL doing with Stop Thief as they add game modes to the app.

#280 6 years ago

Just started getting back into pinball because the last couple of years I have been obsessed with Boardgaming. Nice to see other Michiganders into both as well. I have been a member of the Detroit Pinball League for at least a decade. Been playing board games with old coworkers and dads thru my daughters school. I am attending Oakland County Gamers meetups about twice a month.

#281 6 years ago

My video game budget has been pretty much transferred over to board games. Probably getting old and can't keep up with them young whippersnappers on their Fortnight.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Anybody in on Kingdom Death yet?

I have a copy. Looking to gets consistent group to play it.

#283 6 years ago

I have been playing a lot of City of Kings lately. Great game!

#284 6 years ago

I'm somewhat similar, though my board game closet is getting pretty full. Started with retro video games but kind of lost interest as my friends stopped playing. Right now we are playing through Pandemic Legacy Season 2. Not as into it as Season 1, but we're only a few months in.

#285 6 years ago

Just finished 3 games of Roll Player. Not sure why I passed on it months ago.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Just finished 3 games of Roll Player. Not sure why I passed on it months ago.

I have the KS coming. It’s a fun game.

Brian

#287 6 years ago

Make sure you get in on Dinosaur Island. Really good game and reprint is available on KS now and includes a lot of exclusives.

#288 6 years ago

I know I'm late to the party, but I have really been getting into Mansions of Madness Second Edition recently. Fun factor is very high for me and I enjoy the interface with my iPad.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I know I'm late to the party, but I have really been getting into Mansions of Madness Second Edition recently. Fun factor is very high for me and I enjoy the interface with my iPad.

One of my favorites too. That reminds me that I need to grab the latest expansion. (Or maybe not, as it does not come out until the 19th). I hope the success of this game inspires more attempts at mixing tech and cardboard.

#290 6 years ago

Can you play Mansion of Madness 2 without having 1?

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Just seeing this thread for the first time.
Board games!!! My obsession with pinball is largely the cause of my decline in board game playing. I hosted weekly board game nights for the previous 10 years.
Some current (and longstanding) favorites: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Brass.
I got Food Chain Magnate for my birthday, but it won't arrive until whenever they do the next round of reprinting. I hardly know anything about it...just going off good word of mouth, and that I've really enjoyed any Splotter game I've played (I own Antiquity).

I like them, too. I mostly play with my family. I try to find games that are challenging for the whole group. Usually, cooperative games work best.

Current favorites: Forbidden Island & Pandemic (the original).

Also, Gobblet Gobblers sounds like a kids game, but it is a GREAT party game. Sort of tic-tac-toe meets chess.

#292 6 years ago

Can you play Mansion of Madness 2 without having 1?

Absolutely. It's a different game and much improved. In fact, a few of the expansions for 2 are just the scenarios from 1, but adapted for using the app.

The app is basically a like having a robot keeper. It does all the onerous setup and score while adding ambiance and allowing all the humans to play. The genius is that you still have the minis and cardboard map that prevents it from feeling like you're just playing a computer game.

Just be prepared for every scenario to last an hour longer than the game claims.

#293 6 years ago

Check out this Street Fighter 2 minis game on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/street-fighter-the-miniatures-game/description

They got me with this one. Looks fun as hell.

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Absolutely. It's a different game and much improved. In fact, a few of the expansions for 2 are just the scenarios from 1, but adapted for using the app.
The app is basically a like having a robot keeper. It does all the onerous setup and score while adding ambiance and allowing all the humans to play. The genius is that you still have the minis and cardboard map that prevents it from feeling like you're just playing a computer game.
Just be prepared for every scenario to last an hour longer than the game claims.

This!

In addition, it's cool because the app keeps track of where the creatures are, even when they're not on the revealed portion of the game board. One of my favorite games, and the expansions are great as well. The only downside is that the minis kinda suck -- the bases are too large and block the artwork of the board, and the fall off the bases all the time anyway.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The only downside is that the minis kinda suck -- the bases are too large and block the artwork of the board, and the fall off the bases all the time anyway.

I'm thinking of glueing the characters onto the bases. Anyone try this yet?

#296 6 years ago

I'm thinking of glueing the characters onto the bases. Anyone try this yet?

We've talked about doing it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

#297 6 years ago

I just added card sleeves to my Mansions of Madness Second Edition. I highly recommend doing this, but use the FFG 100 micron ones as they are of excellent quality. Saturday I plan on glueing the characters to their bases; I'm sick of them coming apart whenever I pick one up. I'll report back on my results once completed.

1 week later
#298 6 years ago

Well....I bit the bullet and did something I promised myself I'd never, ever do. (pledge a kickstarter)

I pledged to back the Fireball Island board game with the $150 bundle. This would make for a great Christmas gift.

I hope I'm not let down and/or disappointed.

#299 6 years ago

I backed at the intro level and will probably buy some of the add-ons when the pledge manager arrives. Thinking the 5th player for sure, but not sure on the others. The card sleeves look really nice.

#300 6 years ago

Kickstarter certainly can become an addiction, that’s for sure. The more I browse, the more I end up backing. In the last month alone I’ve backed six games. All in pledges & it’s adding up fast. I need to stop!

Batman Gotham City Chronicles
Deadwood 1886
Fireball Island
Dinosaur Island
Crypt
Unbroken

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.