800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 30.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

The game of choice currently for me is Gloomhaven. A twenty pound box and hundreds of hours of fun. I think it's still sitting at the #1 spot on Boardgamegeek and it's a well deserved rank.

That looks good....I might have to check it out, need more time and more willing players in my world

#202 6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Mansions of Madness 2nd edition.
https://www.amazon.com/Mansions-Madness-Board-Game-2nd/dp/B01J4NB6CO/ref=sr_1_1

You use an app on your phone/tablet/computer to run the behind-the-scenes stuff, and it adds atmosphere as well. Overall it's very difficult but very fun.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

how about some ticket to ride

I tire of that game very, very quickly.

This is hilarious. I'll admit to being that guy at some point in the past, but it wasn't 5 hours.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I tire of that game very, very quickly.

My wife LOVES Ticket to Ride. Her favorite boardgame of all time. She even played on Xbox Live for awhile until she couldn't find anyone online to play with anymore as people moved to other games.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

1) no more than 90 minutes 2) I'm a newb so I don't want to start too heavy.

For sure check out that "family game" link: https://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgame. I especially enjoy 7 Wonders, Santorini (2-player), Takenoko, Sheriff of Nottingham, King of Tokyo, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Cash N Guns, etc. All would also be good next step games as you are playing with your kids. I assume Gloomhaven is great, but the 3.78 complexity rating scares me off.

This looks like a long game process.

In terms of a miniature game Heroscape is among the easiest you will find. The terrain is also amazing.

Quoted from fusion301:

you can get the magic sets now at $5 below

I have two copies of the AotP. If nothing else adding the base maps gives you an easy setup. At the time I think I paid $20 shipped for the two, which was still a great value.

#206 6 years ago

I started playing XWING miniatures over Christmas with the family and it is fun. But man be ready to put down some cash to get a few good expansions. I am 200 bucks in - and it is just getting started. Cool game though - and the ships are fantastic!

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

how about some ticket to ride

8d99bc61005ec173d3a7e988aaefdc37db64dc1663dbbc239e5072001afa4905 (resized).jpg8d99bc61005ec173d3a7e988aaefdc37db64dc1663dbbc239e5072001afa4905 (resized).jpg

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I started playing XWING miniatures over Christmas with the family and it is fun. But man be ready to put down some cash to get a few good expansions. I am 200 bucks in - and it is just getting started. Cool game though - and the ships are fantastic!

I have been wanting to dive in on either XWing or Armada for some time now. I guess XWing is more like a dogfight, while Armada is more like naval battles. The latter sounds more appealing, until I realized you need 6' x 3' area to play. So going to dive in on Xwing one of these days, but I know I'll be dropping lots of coin, so I've held off. Looks like a lot of fun tho.

#209 6 years ago

Just seeing this thread for the first time.

Board games!!! My obsession with pinball is largely the cause of my decline in board game playing. I hosted weekly board game nights for the previous 10 years.

Some current (and longstanding) favorites: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Brass.

I got Food Chain Magnate for my birthday, but it won't arrive until whenever they do the next round of reprinting. I hardly know anything about it...just going off good word of mouth, and that I've really enjoyed any Splotter game I've played (I own Antiquity).

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I have been wanting to dive in on either XWing or Armada for some time now. I guess XWing is more like a dogfight, while Armada is more like naval battles. The latter sounds more appealing, until I realized you need 6' x 3' area to play. So going to dive in on Xwing one of these days, but I know I'll be dropping lots of coin, so I've held off. Looks like a lot of fun tho.

Armada looks nice too - though haven't played it. Those ships look really nice too.

The 3 x 3 foot play area is really the perfect size for XWING (and yes, I did get the official star play mat - it's nice for sure). The games only take about 20 to 30 minutes, so you can get a few different games - and ship squadrons - over a few hours to maximize the fun.

Armada does appear to be more epic naval type space battles and games last quite a bit longer than XWING skirmishes.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Just seeing this thread for the first time.
Board games!!! My obsession with pinball is largely the cause of my decline in board game playing. I hosted weekly board game nights for the previous 10 years.
Some current (and longstanding) favorites: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Brass.
I got Food Chain Magnate for my birthday, but it won't arrive until whenever they do the next round of reprinting. I hardly know anything about it...just going off good word of mouth, and that I've really enjoyed any Splotter game I've played (I own Antiquity).

Ill fly over. I just backed brass as well.

#212 6 years ago

I just backed brass as well.

Just looked up "Brass Kickstarter" and I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I guess I meant this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28720/brass-lancashire although that game has received a serious art upgrade since the original version (when it was just called Brass).

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Just looked up "Brass Kickstarter" and I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I guess I meant this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28720/brass-lancashire although that game has received a serious art upgrade since the original version (when it was just called Brass).

Yup thats the one. Got both games on backerkit.

#214 6 years ago

Any abstract strategy fans out there? The Gipf project series is awesome for people that enjoy chess like thinking games. All of these are cool, plus the new game Lyngk.

project01_01 (resized).jpgproject01_01 (resized).jpg

#215 6 years ago

I'm a pretty big board game geek. Recently got Patchwork which is fun, easy to learn and quick. My all time favorites are Agricola and Power Grid, with an honorable mention for Bohnanza.

#216 6 years ago

Has anyone played Twilight Imperium 4th edition yet?

#217 6 years ago

I buy way too many games, but a few have been rising to the top lately.

Aside from Gloomhaven, which is our #1 game when our party of 4 are all there, Charterstone has been a fun legacy game.

Clank! is an excellent game that can be done in an hour and is easy enough for everybody to learn. Card/Deck builder for 4. There is a sequel for the more serious gamers called Clank! In! Space!, but takes longer than the original

Century Spice Road is a good quick 5 player card game.

We just got Rising Sun off of Kickstarter and that is a very fun one for 4-6 players.

Also just got a party game called Muse which is quick and extremely fun for all.

2 similar games have potential as well, just haven't played enough yet, Stuffed Fables and Grimm Forest. Nice theme and packages.

#218 6 years ago

It's a digital version of a board game, so I think it qualifies for this thread, but is anyone playing Lord of Waterdeep from Playdek? It's available for iOS, Android and Steam. It has fantastic asynchronous and synchronous cross platform online gameplay. My username is Zac if you are looking for someone to drown in a sea of 40 point quests.

#219 6 years ago

Has anyone played Captain Sonar - I have the game I just havent gotten a group to play it yet. Thoughts?

#220 6 years ago

Anyone here purchased a custom table from boardgametables.com? Hard to find reviews online.

I've been in on their kickstarter for their low end Dutchess table for so long. There's no end in sight & I've heard the build materials aren't the greatest. So I was thinking of upping my game & getting one of their higher quality custom tables with the exact features I wanted. This is a "two birds with one stone" purchase, since the table will double as a dining area. I know they are pricey, but they already have my deposit that I can roll over, so just makes sense to me.

Will be used for basic board & card gaming (Axis&allies, xwing, Star Wars Destiny, etc) & poker nights with the guys. Was thinking 3.25 x 5 playing surface. One piece topper. Card rail slots, cup holders, etc. No drawers though, gotta make cuts somewhere to keep the price down.

I was just curious what table width people prefer for their tables, but I guess it depends what you're playing. I'd like to go 3.5 but that's going to be tough with the area I'm putting it in. Don't want it too big.

#221 6 years ago

I'm highly considering building (or having built) a board game table as my next dining room table. Also coordinating buffet to house our games. Really just waiting until my girls are a bit older as their are still in the stage where their art is a pretty big mess.

#222 6 years ago

Gloomhaven will be here this week.

#223 6 years ago

Any of you guys played vikings gone wild and smallworld?

#224 6 years ago

Have not played Vikings, but Smallworld is a pretty good one. We really like the options you come up with races and traits that are randomized each game. Haven't played since I got the 6 player map and am going to get it back to the table shortly.

#225 6 years ago

Anybody in on Kingdom Death yet?

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Has anyone played Twilight Imperium 4th edition yet?

I have. It's good. Been a while since I played third edition, but didn't feel like it was that different.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Any abstract strategy fans out there? The Gipf project series is awesome for people that enjoy chess like thinking games. All of these are cool, plus the new game Lyngk.</bloc

I love the GIPF series, and abstracts in general. I am always on the lookout for tamsk, which is the gipf game that got booted from the series and uses sand timers.

#228 6 years ago

Bored Game Players = any New Release Stern owner for first 2 years until code catches up

1 week later
#229 6 years ago

Has anyone gotten in on this Kickstarter yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles

This game just blows me away! Nearly $3M in pre-sales in only 2 weeks. Looks like it will be so much fun with tons of depth & long term playability. Just look at all the Batman characters & villains they've thrown in, along with all the stretch goals! Damn. Just think how much fun it will be to paint those detailed figures, but it will take forever with all those pieces!

I'm all in on this. Anyone else?

1 week later
#230 6 years ago

No love for the Batman Gotham City Chronicals? Well I'm gonna give it a BUMP anyway.

Only 4 days left in the kickstarter.

#231 6 years ago

Been playing this board game since the late 80s when it came out. It's a family favorite

Labyrinth by Ravensburger

labyrinth-1.jpglabyrinth-1.jpg

#232 6 years ago

Batman to me seems very expensive dont get me wrong its seems jammed packed....im just not willing to drop that kind of coin for a game. I was akso interested in Monumental but they screwed the KS campaign on that one and had to cancel. My next pledge guarantees 100% will come on April 3rd for the Fireball island remake. For thise who dont remember....

pic3251870 (resized).jpgpic3251870 (resized).jpg

#233 6 years ago

Batman to me seems very expensive dont get me wrong its seems jammed packed....im just not willing to drop that kind of coin for a game. I was akso interested in Monumental but they screwed the KS campaign on that one and had to cancel. My next pledge guarantees 100% will come on April 3rd for the Fireball island remake. For thise who dont remember....

I completely forgot about that game!! EPIC!!

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I completely forgot about that game!! EPIC!!

The remake will be 50% bigger! With expansions! https://restorationgames.com/ Check the blog post on the main page . Look also check the boardgamegeek https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233020/fireball-island-curse-vul-kar

#235 6 years ago

Sounds like I know what my next Kickstarter buy will be. Thanks for the post. I probably would have missed this

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

The game of choice currently for me is Gloomhaven. A twenty pound box and hundreds of hours of fun. I think it's still sitting at the #1 spot on Boardgamegeek and it's a well deserved rank.

I picked this up last week and played 2 scenarios over the weekend. It is awesome! Even my wife loves it and normally all she wants to play is Ticket to Ride or Lost Cities. Definitely worth the money.

#237 6 years ago

I have an original sitting in my basement. Along with some other classics like Stop Thief and Hotels.

#238 6 years ago

I just ordered the original one about a week ago from ebay. Still waiting for it to arrive but really looking forward to playing it.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

No love for the Batman Gotham City Chronicals? Well I'm gonna give it a BUMP anyway.
Only 4 days left in the kickstarter.

I was all in on Batman and then shut down Kickstarter and left cold turkey. Cancelled 3 other "exclusive" games. Will back the Restoration games Fireball Island, as I did the Stop Thief remake, which is pretty good and they are expanding it with the app.

Playing Gloomhaven and Izul a lot lately as I patiently wait for The 7th Continent to arrive.

#242 6 years ago

I'm not sure it really qualifies as a "board game", but I play x-wing miniatures. It can be very expensive, there's so many ships out there. I was collecting everything for a while, but I haven't bought a piece for probably 2 years now. My biggest complaint is that it takes a lot to setup, and the number of cards to build a "deck" can be pretty daunting if you don't have the time to build them.

#243 6 years ago

Already backed Fireball Island, but on the fence about the add ons right now. Already blew past their $500k in stretch goals too. I swore off of Kickstarter when Batman launched, but had to come back for this.

#244 6 years ago

So the only way to get the game is if you back it on Kickstarter? You can't wait for production and then order?

#245 6 years ago

What was the scoop with swearing off kickstarter when Batman launched? Was it too tempting or ?

#246 6 years ago

Batman had too many add ons for me to buy without playing the game. And it is KS only so no retail. Over $300 bucks for the whole thing and hope it’s good. Ironically I just spent that for 7th Continent.

Don’t think Fireball is exclusive to KS, just a Daviau fan and anxious to support him and play.

#247 6 years ago

Backed Fireball Island with all the expansion add on packs. Played the original one tonight too. They got their stretch goals so fast they had to think up more lol. And it won't be a kickstarter exclusive we just save some money.

#248 6 years ago

I also jumped onto the Kickstarter for the full game.

#249 6 years ago

In too. Should make a good Christmas present if it ships in November.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from chill:

In too. Should make a good Christmas present if it ships in November.

Thats exactly what i thought

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.