800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 30.
#151 6 years ago

Some favorites, out of hundreds:

Ticket to Ride (the 10 year Anniversary Edition has some sweet detailed train cars)
Powergrid
Dominion
Castles of Burgundy
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Eclipse

to name a few.....

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

How was it? Killer deals?

Not really. Used stuff was cheap.
I went to regain my world #1 rank in Axis & Allies War @ Sea. I lost in the final. Should be in the top 5.

#153 6 years ago

So happy I found this thread! Bring back a lot of childhood memories, playing countless games of Axis & Allies.

So I just bought my first board game in over 20 years Can't wait to get into this one, had a blast putting the cards in plastic sleeves & putting the game pieces into their foam trays. Board games have come a long way since '85. Haha. But first I'll have to look into getting (or building) a gaming table.

IMG_1363 (resized).JPGIMG_1363 (resized).JPG

#154 6 years ago

Played some Cash & Guns tonight. It's a decent party game. We then used the guns to play a game of Spoons.

#155 6 years ago

Rebellion is awesome and really easy to play once you get the mechanics down. Can't wait for the new expansion which improves my only minor complaint of needing better combat.

#156 6 years ago

I picked up Rebellion a few weeks ago. Is there a good YouTube tutorial you recommend?

1 week later
#157 6 years ago

Ooh you guys might be able to help me! I love playing board games, especially when there's a group of people over at my house. The only problem is that my roommate isn't a big fan of board games at all. She doesn't seem to mind Cards Against Humanity or drinking games, but I haven't been able to find any others she would enjoy. Do y'all have any suggestions?

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from HarleyHyena:

Ooh you guys might be able to help me! I love playing board games, especially when there's a group of people over at my house. The only problem is that my roommate isn't a big fan of board games at all. She doesn't seem to mind Cards Against Humanity or drinking games, but I haven't been able to find any others she would enjoy. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Secret Hitler. It's from the CAH guys. You do need 5 players though, I think is the MINIMUM...maybe 4. But it's really best with 5-7.

Fluxx if ya'll don't get TOOOOO wasted..it can get complicated as the rules change constantly, but at least they're always on the table to see, and there's a million versions of it with different themes to suit pretty much anyone.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Secret Hitler. It's from the CAH guys. You do need 5 players though, I think is the MINIMUM...maybe 4. But it's really best with 5-7.

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Looks like it's sold out for now, but I didn't know they made any other games.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from HarleyHyena:

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Looks like it's sold out for now, but I didn't know they made any other games.

It's only been out for a few months AFAIK.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I have a decent collection. Mostly entry level and party games because my friends aren't really as into complex or lengthily games. Some games to the sides of where those pictures display are: Cards Against Humanity, Codenames, Love Letters, Memoir 44, One Night Werewolf, etc.
We took a long break from Pandemic after finishing up Legacy, but my wife have recently started playing again with the On the Brink expansions. Our typical setup is with six epidemic cards, virulent strain, and mutation. We played a game last night, but had things under control the entire game. When you guys play do you choose roles? We do a random draw, but when the dispatcher is in the game, I almost feel we need to add in an extra epidemic card. That is my favorite role, but I find it too powerful.
Finally discussion point. I'd really like to start seeing board game licenses used for pinball. My top two would be King of Tokyo and Pandemic. Neither is my favorite game, but I think both would translate extremely well into pinball. Shadows Over Camelot could also be fun, but honestly I don't even need it based on the game. I'm just surprised that there hasn't been a pinball machine based on the Knights Of The Round Table. What board games do you guys think would make good pinball themes?

King of Tokyo would make an amazing pin! You could even choose your monster and get perks, like game of Thrones or Dr Who.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Fluxx if ya'll don't get TOOOOO wasted..it can get complicated as the rules change constantly, but at least they're always on the table to see, and there's a million versions of it with different themes to suit pretty much anyone.

I just read the rules. Sounds like a very cool game.

#163 6 years ago

HarleyHyena

Good Cop, Bad Cop
Cash and Guns

#164 6 years ago

HarleyHyena

Epic Spell Wars
It's a silly fun game! We love it! Easy to learn too.
Check it out.

#165 6 years ago

Escape from 100 million BC is fun. It is a dice chucker but the theme is so good

#166 6 years ago

I don't think I've ever met a board game I didn't enjoy. Played many an SPI and Avalon Hill war game back in their heyday and still do. Current favorites include 13 Days, Evolution, Dead of Winter and Zombicide. I just bought and am looking forward to playing Seafall, Time Stories and Mysterium.

I also enjoy miniatures gaming, particularly X-Wing right now, and some ancient gaming, particularly Senet and Hnefetafl.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from HarleyHyena:

The party game ranking at board game geek is a great place to start. My group also plays a lot of party games or at least games that don't require heavy thought. Some to consider might be Sheriff of Nottingham, Cash & Guns, One Night Werewolf, and Loopin' Louie; which is actually a pretty fun dexterity drinking game. If you are looking for something super cheap; I still think Balderdash is a pretty solid option. You can typically find it at thrift shop for a few dollars.

https://boardgamegeek.com/partygames/browse/boardgame?sort=rank

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I don't think I've ever met a board game I didn't enjoy. Played many an SPI and Avalon Hill war game back in their heyday and still do. Current favorites include 13 Days, Evolution, Dead of Winter and Zombicide. I just bought and am looking forward to playing Seafall, Time Stories and Mysterium.
I also enjoy miniatures gaming, particularly X-Wing right now, and some ancient gaming, particularly Senet and Hnefetafl.

Mysterium is a fun group game. Time Stories is going to be a purchase soon once we get done with our current back log.

SeaFall is another animal entirely. I actually own 3 copies of SeaFall and on the hook for another from a friend. Played 2 campaigns and all was great until game 9 or so and box 5. I never loved, then hated a game so much in my life. Now I'm in the process of making some modifications and playing another campaign, and possibly rewriting a bit of the rules for future campaigns. Funny how much time I've spent on a game that I wanted to burn when I was done with it...

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Is there an example of a coop game that doesn't have an element of luck? I almost think there has to be, otherwise it's just the same game over and over. Once you know the solution, you've solved the puzzle. I guess I can understand the frustration with that, but perhaps that does a better job of replicating the response to an actual Pandemic. There are unknowns. Would it have been any better if you won 100% of the games?
PS: Most of the games I introduce to my group have to have an element of luck. To be quite honest we are at different skill levels, I fear in a game without an element of luck the same people would win every time. This is another reason I was worried about 7 Wonders.

A game without some element of chance is like,... chess. Ugh. Backgammon is a great game as it rewards the skillful player in the long run, but any one game can be won by a novice with good dice.
Best board games... Settlers of Catan, Axis & Allies, Dominion, Splendor, Power grid, Ticket to Ride.

#170 6 years ago

No.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Has anyone played Pinball Showdown? How good of a game is it? Is gameplay to simple?

Here is a recent review.

1 week later
#172 6 years ago

Just played star trek ascendency holy shit great game.

Also finally got massive darkness gonna go play it right now

#173 6 years ago

I'm at a Wed-Sun board game fest with old friends. Rental cabin, good food and games. Just a few examples here. We even went in to town and did an escape room. Great week!

IMG_0085 (resized).JPGIMG_0085 (resized).JPG

IMG_0086 (resized).JPGIMG_0086 (resized).JPG

IMG_0096 (resized).JPGIMG_0096 (resized).JPG

IMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG

IMG_0102 (resized).JPGIMG_0102 (resized).JPG

IMG_0099 (resized).JPGIMG_0099 (resized).JPG

IMG_0103 (resized).JPGIMG_0103 (resized).JPG

IMG_0105 (resized).JPGIMG_0105 (resized).JPG

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I'm at a Wed-Sun board game fest with old friends. Rental cabin, good food and games. Just a few examples here. We even went in to town and did an escape room. Great week!

Very cool. Nice Tak set right on top.

#175 6 years ago

Awesome!!!
Did you like Scythe?

#176 6 years ago

Where did you grab Mountains of Madness? Played it yet?

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Awesome!!!
Did you like Scythe?

Yes I loved it. It would be my purchase of choice if I had a group to play with.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Where did you grab Mountains of Madness? Played it yet?

It was a friends game. I didn't play it, but they did and enjoyed it.

#179 6 years ago

OK I'll play.

masterpiece (resized).jpgmasterpiece (resized).jpg

#180 6 years ago

The only thing that will be able to distract me from pinball are board games (and the occasional video game).

My gaming group used to play a lot of Arkham Horror. A lot. We would dress up in costume as characters from the game and play AH at our annual Halloween party.

We're nerds.

Among my favorites in my (and my friends') collection(s):

Dominion
Bang! The Dice Game
Letters from Whitechapel
Codenames
Mysterium
Flashpoint
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Red Dragon Inn
Abyss
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Ghost Stories
Blood Rage
CAH
Joking Hazard
Secret Hitler
Coup

o-din I would play the hell out of Masterpiece. My friend's aunt has a bunch of old board games that most people would dismiss but end up being a lot of fun if you don't mind some dated rules.

HarleyHyena If your roommate likes games with a more social aspect and not the rules of more traditional board games I second the One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Sheriff of Nottingham and Cash and Guns suggestions. For a party game I'd suggest trying Joking Hazard. Also throw in Bang! The Dice Game and Coup for social deduction games that might get them interested in games that require thought and deduction without a ton of rules to keep up with.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from moosimusmaximus:

Bang! The Dice Game

I just ordered Bang! The Dice Game w/ expansion yesterday. I think it will go over well with my group. Seems to me to be a cross between King of Tokyo and Werewolf.

PS: I also ordered Heroscape. If anyone have any extra stuff for sale please let me know. I've been wanting to get into a miniature game for awhile and finally decided it was going to be Heroscape. I think it's going to be the one that's simple enough for my group, plus it just looks amazing on the table. Seriously though, if you have a collection you want to sell please send me a PM.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I just ordered Bang! The Dice Game w/ expansion yesterday. I think it will go over well with my group. Seems to me to be a cross between King of Tokyo and Werewolf.
PS: I also ordered Heroscape. If anyone have any extra stuff for sale please let me know. I've been wanting to get into a miniature game for awhile and finally decided it was going to be Heroscape. I think it's going to be the one that's simple enough for my group, plus it just looks amazing on the table. Seriously though, if you have a collection you want to sell please send me a PM.

Bang! The Dice Game is probably my favorite social deduction games as it adds a little gameplay into the mechanics of something like Werewolf or Mafia. Secret Hitler fits into this role as well and I highly recommend it.

A friend of mine had a pretty solid collection of Heroscape terrain and figures and I had a lot of fun playing it with him and his (then-)wife. If he still has it, I'm not sure he'd want to get rid of it. One memorable game night I recall we drove an hour out of town to go to a game store in the hopes that they had sets that he didn't own already and then playing all night even though we hadn't acquired anything new.

#183 6 years ago

Letters from Whitechapel & Red Dragon Inn are a lot of fun.

#184 6 years ago

Best board game I played some years ago, was Zombies! Awesome game with 4 friends, can get intense. I really recommend you guys try it.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Best board game I played some years ago, was Zombies! Awesome game with 4 friends, can get intense. I really recommend you guys try it.

Does that game still have a roll and move mechanic in it?

#186 6 years ago

Still awesome.

Mastermind-11 (resized).jpgMastermind-11 (resized).jpg

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from moosimusmaximus:

A friend of mine had a pretty solid collection of Heroscape terrain and figures and I had a lot of fun playing it with him and his (then-)wife. If he still has it, I'm not sure he'd want to get rid of it. One memorable game night I recall we drove an hour out of town to go to a game store in the hopes that they had sets that he didn't own already and then playing all night even though we hadn't acquired anything new.

If he's at all interested in selling please let me know. I think buying a lot is about the only way to really get a start in the game.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I lived Zombies!!! when I played it but my friends wrote their own variant rules to play it as a strict co-op, they were not a fan of the "screw your neighbor" aspect ti the game.

3 weeks later
#189 6 years ago

Finally received my Secret Hitler wood box edition, with the Trump cabinet expansion pack! That’s going to get a few laughs in this house for sure. Can’t wait to give it a try. Looks like games still available on their website.

C8EF07D7-5F7B-4EA1-85E9-6685864EEB4E (resized).jpegC8EF07D7-5F7B-4EA1-85E9-6685864EEB4E (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#190 6 years ago

Anyone that might be interested, our next game is on Kickstarter. No pinballs in this one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919693711/bigfoot-vs-yeti

BVY-Box-Front (resized).jpgBVY-Box-Front (resized).jpg

4 months later
#191 6 years ago

Maybe revive this thread a bit but I've been on a board game spending spree in the last few months. Just seem to have discovered that there are more things out there then monopoly. I'm a rookie when it comes to board games so if some of you have suggestions Id be happy to hear them. I've got the kids game at this point covered for a while...now looking for more mature games that involve a group of guys playing some pinball and then retire the night by playing a good game with some scotch on ice.

Own
Carcassonne
Catan Jr.
Chicken Cha Cha
Dice Forge
The Enchanted Tower
Escape: Curse of the Temple
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
Junk Art
King's Forge
Kingdomino
Loony Quest
The Magic Labyrinth
Oceanos
Pandemic
Pingo Pingo
Santorini
Ticket to Ride Europe and 1912 expansion

Just ordered
Brass and Birmingham

What do I need for the more mature crowd?

#192 6 years ago

I can probably get you some suggestions. Probably the most important questions to ask would be:

1) How long do you want a single game to last?

2) How complex of a game does your group want?

For my group we want games that are between a 2.0 and 3.0 on BoardGameGeeks. We also look for games that are no more then 60-90 minutes. This put us in the "Family Game" category. Perhaps check out this list here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgame?sort=rank&rankobjecttype=family&rankobjectid=5499&rank=1#1

#193 6 years ago

how about some ticket to ride

TICKET (resized).jpgTICKET (resized).jpg

#194 6 years ago

back from the dead...heroscape

IMG_4122 (resized).jpgIMG_4122 (resized).jpg

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

Damn, I don't have anywhere near that much space to commit to TTR, but I'm curious what you suggest as the best addon. I have the original and junior.

Quoted from fusion301:

I've been also downsizing my Heroscape stuff. I actually just four lots on eBay and Amazon for around $400. In the future, I'm thinking about playing with unique heroes only.

#196 6 years ago

the 2 newest are a lot of fun........great lakes version has trains and boats and 2 sides of the map so it is like 2 games and the newest one is france on one side and wild west on the other side.

#197 6 years ago

mixing heroscape with D&D and Magic

Yeah this stuff takes up some serious space, Prices on ebay and amazon are pretty crazy lately

IMG_4107 (resized).jpgIMG_4107 (resized).jpg
IMG_4140 (resized).JPGIMG_4140 (resized).JPG

you can get the magic sets now at $5 below - if you have heroscape terrain, its a no brainer for 5 bucks

#198 6 years ago

Heroscape was fun. I've got a box of it in the basement somewhere...

The game of choice currently for me is Gloomhaven. A twenty pound box and hundreds of hours of fun. I think it's still sitting at the #1 spot on Boardgamegeek and it's a well deserved rank.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I can probably get you some suggestions. Probably the most important questions to ask would be:
1) How long do you want a single game to last?
2) How complex of a game does your group want?

1) no more than 90 minutes
2) I'm a newb so I don't want to start too heavy. So complexity wise. Nothing that will give me a headache with a rule sheet the length of the bible would be a good benchmark.

Quoted from zerbam:

Edited my post. I did get the ticket to ride Europe along with the 1912 expansion for it. My 5 year old is digging ticket to ride. Obviously letting her win and not blocking her way and helping her along but the other night I put a train in her way on a double lane. (small 1 space double lane red/white). The blocking rule really sunk in that time. I just made sure it would be easy for her to go around and get the missing 1 coloured space that was in the collective cards. LOL.

Quoted from fusion301:

This looks like a long game process.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.