800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 30.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Diane_Sauer:

I see a bunch of people have backed Pinball Showdown since I commented on it, so here is one big thank you to all of you for backing the game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919693711/pinball-showdown</blockquote

Pinball Showdown has been released and is available here in the marketplace, on Amazon and it should be available in some game stores in the coming month or so.

KS-Cover-Page-V2 (1) (resized).jpgKS-Cover-Page-V2 (1) (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago

Finally after waiting 2 and a half years. Sword & Sorcery arrived. Wow what a game. Probably the last adventure dungeon crawl game I will buy. Between this and talisman I'm set for adventures

Also waiting on massive darkness.

#103 6 years ago

We have played One Night Werewolf, Sheriff of Nottingham, Cash and Guns, Takenoko, Carcassonne, Munchkin, Pandemic, etc. I'm thinking about trying Shadows Over Camelot. Curious on your thoughts on that game.

#104 6 years ago

O'gosh no. The company I work for we make and assemble board games all day long...seven days a week as one of the many things we do that deals with paper so I see enough of that stuff as it is.

John

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

O'gosh no. The company I work for we make and assemble board games all day long...seven days a week as one of the many things we do that deals with paper so I see enough of that stuff as it is.
John

Then you should be the go to guy for this stuff!

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Then you should be the go to guy for this stuff!

Yeah you would think but the company sorta frowns on taking stuff that doesn't belong to me for some reason.

John

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yeah you would think but the company sorta frowns on taking stuff that doesn't belong to me for some reason.

John

I don't mean stealing, I mean providing discounts!

#108 6 years ago

So just tried Century Spice Road last night and it looks like a really good game in the vein of Splendor. Real easy to learn, fun to play, and the artwork on the cards is nice. Definitely a good game for die hard and casual gamers.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What games would you suggest to a group of fairly inexperienced gamers? I've got them to play things like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo, etc. They aren't going to play anything too deep, too long, too much waiting, or require too much reading. At the same time I'd like to keep pushing them with the complexity a little bit.

Munchkin is fun and they have multiple themes available to capture you interests.
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/

Mars attacks is a simple card and dice game that's quick and fun.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155119/mars-attacks-dice-game

Five Tibes is a little more in depth, but has a simpler layout with a mid level of "tons of pieces" as my kids call them. It is my next purchase.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157354/five-tribes

Best of luck!

#110 6 years ago

I love 5 Tribes and there is a 5 player expansion coming for it shortly. Seems like 5 is the magic number for our groups.

#111 6 years ago

Some Nice Board games here! I Don't have a bunch, but I kept the ones I loved as a kid, I have all the games from the Atmosfear series (VHS, and in a couple cases, DVD, board game). I also got both Kickstarter Deluxe versions of GhostBusters and Ghostbusters 2, as well as Hero Quest, and some other random ones like Real Ghostbusters (cartoon), Who Frame Roger Rabbit, Spy vs Spy, and Allan Sherman's Camp Granada

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Surprised no one meationed 'Axis and Allies' board games?
Man we played the shit out that game back in the day!

Sessions would last until 7am and sometimes go into overtime the following afternoon. To make it more even we would bit material who has to play the Axis. The lowest bid (like 3 men and 1 tank = 3x3 + 5 =14 points) would get the contract to play the Axis. That would make it pretty even, otherwise the Allies would win about 8/10 games.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I don't mean stealing, I mean providing discounts!

We'll technically we don't own the games since we do them for other companies that pay us to do it for them that don't have the equipment or the means to do it themselves. Some days we do throw away ALOT of games or pieces of games for various reasons but even that stuff is not available to the employee's. Sorry.

John

#114 6 years ago

Just got Mysterium as a gift, yet to play it.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

We'll technically we don't own the games since we do them for other companies that pay us to do it for them that don't have the equipment or the means to do it themselves. Some days we do throw away ALOT of games or pieces of games for various reasons but even that stuff is not available to the employee's. Sorry.
John

Ahhh, gotcha. Oh well.

1 month later
#116 6 years ago

Anybody travel to Gen Con?

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Anybody travel to Gen Con?

Buddies I go with every year are there, but I had to miss this year because school has already started for my kids.

#118 6 years ago

Can't believe I missed this thread. I have a group of friends that I play games with once a week. I finished my basement last year and just recently completed a Ikea table conversion to a vaulted game table. My kids like puzzles so we sometimes put them together in the vaulted portion. This way we can leave them unfinished and I can still play a game on the tabletop.

Every time I have a pinhead over they mention how I could fit a lot more pins if I just got rid of the table. I think I get more enjoyment over having friends over for board games than playing pinball so it will stay! Just added a super chexx bubble hockey (not pictured) that has been a hit with visitors. Now I just need to find some storage for all of my games.

Photo Jul 22, 1 37 18 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jul 22, 1 37 18 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Jul 22, 1 09 30 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jul 22, 1 09 30 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Jul 22, 11 08 17 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Jul 22, 11 08 17 AM (resized).jpg

Photo Jul 22, 11 08 10 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Jul 22, 11 08 10 AM (resized).jpg

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What games would you suggest to a group of fairly inexperienced gamers? I've got them to play things like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo, etc. They aren't going to play anything too deep, too long, too much waiting, or require too much reading. At the same time I'd like to keep pushing them with the complexity a little bit.

Just to throw in some names not already mentioned: Splendor, NY 1901, and if you want to up the complexity a bit - Five Tribes.

#120 6 years ago

We love playing board games!

IMG_20170818_185900584 (resized).jpgIMG_20170818_185900584 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170818_185921711 (resized).jpgIMG_20170818_185921711 (resized).jpg

#121 6 years ago

I highly recommend The Kings Armory. It's a tower defense board game where you play as heros stopping waves of bad guys. The game is scalable in number of players, difficulty and game length. Before each wave players can leave or be added. The game can be just a couple quick waves or more waves with larger foes. And before each game you build the path to your gate, so it can be a hard straight shot or an easy winding path. Endless replay ability.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Kings-Armory-Board-Game/dp/B010PT64AK/ref=sr_1_1

#122 6 years ago

Just learned how to play Istanbul and it is really nice. Up to 5 players is a bonus as well. Remade version of Stop Thief! is pretty fun as well. Some good upgrades and App driven rather than the scanner that came with the original.

#123 6 years ago

Has anyone played Pinball Showdown? How good of a game is it? Is gameplay to simple?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#124 6 years ago

BPA, love your table! I just recently found this company.
https://www.boardgametables.com/

I was in the local game and comic shop recently and discovered there is a local board game club! They meet once a month at a retail space about 2 miles from my house! My first day was Saturday and it was great. I played Dominion (first time) and Five Tribes (my game).

#125 6 years ago

I have gotten a handful of games on the new Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. I've played a few 2 player and 4 player games. I think it is a game all Harry Potter fans will enjoy. It seem more difficult with 4 players (we lost), than with 2 players. Rules are very easy to learn.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

completed a Ikea table conversion to a vaulted game table.

Any details on how you did that? The table looks amazing and we have a room that we might want to turn into a game room in the near future. This looks perfect, but we don't want to break the bank.

#127 6 years ago

The Harry Potter game is really cool and you really have to work together to win in the later years. Just picked up the expansion but haven't tried it yet. Really well done game.

#128 6 years ago

I have a few. Mostly play with my wife and while many games are possible with 2 people, not many are optimal. Curious if anyone knows any games that are really good with 2 people. We have Pandemic, Innovation, Munchkin, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, and a few others. The only game we have that is MADE for 2 people is Claustrophobia. I love it, but she's not so much a fan.

#129 6 years ago

7 Wonders Duel is our favorite 2 player game by a wide margin. Century Spice Road and Splendor come in 2 and 3.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Curious if anyone knows any games that are really good with 2 people.

Jaipur and Lost Cities are great games made for 2 players. If you like Ticket to Ride the Scandinavian countries map is made for 2-3 players.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Jaipur and Lost Cities are great games made for 2 players. If you like Ticket to Ride the Scandinavian countries map is made for 2-3 players.

Thanks

#132 6 years ago

I have a few. Mostly play with my wife and while many games are possible with 2 people, not many are optimal. Curious if anyone knows any games that are really good with 2 people. We have Pandemic, Innovation, Munchkin, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, and a few others. The only game we have that is MADE for 2 people is Claustrophobia. I love it, but she's not so much a fan.

Splendor is fun for 2 people(up to 4).
Lotus is fun for 2 people(up to 4).
There are several fighting/war games that are strictly 2 player. Stronghold, Rivet Wars, & Star Wars Rebellion to name a few.

#133 6 years ago

My local gaming store is a bastion of excellence.

I don't get to go there much yet or play, due to my disabilities. But.

This gaming store is very nice, nice people.

It's pretty cool when the local gaming store shows the local businesses by example how it's done.

What I meant to say, is your gaming store is probably like this too. Wherever you are.

Bastions of excellence...

It is nice to see stores I like, unlike all the stores I don't like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+guild+house&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

#134 6 years ago

My group is still obsessed with 7 Wonders. I just wish they would mix it up a bit more. They tend to find a game and play it until we're all pretty much sick of it. 7 Wonders has lasted longer then any other game, but I just wish we could play more of a variety. I'll have to check out the Harry Potter game. My girls love Harry Potter, so I could see that a a game to play when they are older.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

BPA, love your table! I just recently found this company.
https://www.boardgametables.com/
I was in the local game and comic shop recently and discovered there is a local board game club! They meet once a month at a retail space about 2 miles from my house! My first day was Saturday and it was great. I played Dominion (first time) and Five Tribes (my game).

Thanks man! I haven't used it as much as I would like to (the vaulted portion) but we have been playing a lot of games lately. Still play Dominion from time to time. Great game to get non gamers involved.

Quoted from Fezmid:

Any details on how you did that? The table looks amazing and we have a room that we might want to turn into a game room in the near future. This looks perfect, but we don't want to break the bank.

Yes I was in the same position. I didn't want to spend over 2K on a gaming table. If you search Bjursta gaming table you will find a lot of examples on Board Game Geek. I have photos of the process that I will post for you.

You basically build the table up to a point in the directions. Then you install some cross members to support the vaulted part. I think I used plywood for the inside. You can stop there, stain it and be done. I wanted the extra frame around with cup holders. If I did it again, I would probably not do that as it took away some valuable playing space. So some games I can't play in the vault. It isn't a huge deal for me because the vaulted portion is more for puzzles and perler bead projects my kids do...oh and card games are great on that surface!

Some people will build out the frame outside of the original frame. this gives you more vaulted real estate but then you cannot put the top back on without it looking goofy. so if you just want a vaulted table without having a top cover, this is a good option.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

My group is still obsessed with 7 Wonders. I just wish they would mix it up a bit more. They tend to find a game and play it until we're all pretty much sick of it. 7 Wonders has lasted longer then any other game, but I just wish we could play more of a variety. I'll have to check out the Harry Potter game. My girls love Harry Potter, so I could see that a a game to play when they are older.

Do you have both expansions (not Babel) for it? The Leaders and Cities really add to it. We didn't like them much at first but now we play with both. The 7 Wonders app is good too for scoring and keeping a database of wins/losses and all kinds of stats.

#137 6 years ago

We don't play board games enough, but we are starting to get back into playing. Over the past few years we acquired D&D board games Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt. The kids are 11,11, 13, and 17. They love D&D, but sometimes the rule set is too deep or confusing for everyone.

I was introduced to Settler of Catan over the weekend and everyone really enjoyed it. We played 3-4 games on Sunday alone. Now I'm looking to add a few more selections to our inventory. Munchkins? Ticket to Ride? Coup? Any suggestions?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

Thanks man! I haven't used it as much as I would like to (the vaulted portion) but we have been playing a lot of games lately. Still play Dominion from time to time. Great game to get non gamers involved.

Yes I was in the same position. I didn't want to spend over 2K on a gaming table. If you search Bjursta gaming table you will find a lot of examples on Board Game Geek. I have photos of the process that I will post for you.
You basically build the table up to a point in the directions. Then you install some cross members to support the vaulted part. I think I used plywood for the inside. You can stop there, stain it and be done. I wanted the extra frame around with cup holders. If I did it again, I would probably not do that as it took away some valuable playing space. So some games I can't play in the vault. It isn't a huge deal for me because the vaulted portion is more for puzzles and perler bead projects my kids do...oh and card games are great on that surface!
Some people will build out the frame outside of the original frame. this gives you more vaulted real estate but then you cannot put the top back on without it looking goofy. so if you just want a vaulted table without having a top cover, this is a good option.

Also check bbopokertables.com. good quality for fair prices.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

My girls love Harry Potter, so I could see that a a game to play when they are older.

How old are they? It really isn't very difficult to learn the rules

#140 6 years ago

I just got back from GenCon.

#141 6 years ago

I pity the fool that gets suckered into a game of Dead of Winter with a bunch of drunk people that you don't know, and most of them have never played. I believe that game took almost 4 hours for a 5 player game. Was completely ridiculous.

Quoted from djreddog:

11,11, 13, and 17

More than old enough for Ticket to Ride. My 7 year old plays with minor amounts of help...though for whatever reason he refuses to hide his route cards and train cards...ALL FACE UP ALL THE TIME >_<

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I pity the fool that gets suckered into a game of Dead of Winter with a bunch of drunk people that you don't know, and most of them have never played. I believe that game took almost 4 hours for a 5 player game. Was completely ridiculous

That's annoying and a disservice to the game. Reminds me of a New Years party that I attended where the host insisted on playing werewolf at 11pm with a bunch of drunk people who have never played before. It was tortuous. I love me some board games but I won't force it on guests.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Any details on how you did that

IMG_6951 (resized).JPGIMG_6951 (resized).JPG

IMG_6958 (resized).JPGIMG_6958 (resized).JPG

IMG_7061 (resized).JPGIMG_7061 (resized).JPG

IMG_7176 (resized).JPGIMG_7176 (resized).JPG

IMG_7181 (resized).JPGIMG_7181 (resized).JPG

IMG_7274 (resized).JPGIMG_7274 (resized).JPG

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

We don't play board games enough, but we are starting to get back into playing. Over the past few years we acquired D&D board games Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt. The kids are 11,11, 13, and 17. They love D&D, but sometimes the rule set is too deep or confusing for everyone.
I was introduced to Settler of Catan over the weekend and everyone really enjoyed it. We played 3-4 games on Sunday alone. Now I'm looking to add a few more selections to our inventory. Munchkins? Ticket to Ride? Coup? Any suggestions?

Perfect!! They are into worker placement games!
Here are some light to medium Euro's/worker placement games my family enjoys(12,14,15):

Champions of Midgard: worker + dice rolling
Easy to learn & tons of fun!
World's Fair: worker + deck building
Fun & easy to learn
Imhotep: worker
Very different, w tons of wooden blocks!
Stone Age: worker + dice rolling
Catan on Steroids!
Splendor: deck building + collecting gems
Fun & short game times.
Viticulture: worker placement in old world Tuscany
Heavy learning curve, but very neat game.
Coldwater Crown: work placement fishing tournament.
Very fun & different!
Last but not least
The Manhattan Project Energy Empire: work + engine building.
One of my favorite games! Check it out.
These are the games we play the most. Check them out, YouTube them, & enjoy playing as a family!

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

I just got back from GenCon.

How was it? Killer deals?

#146 6 years ago

All set for now. I just ordered Catan, Catan 5-6 player expansion set, Ticket to Ride, and Munchkin from Walmart for $87 along with free shipping. That should whet our appetites for a few months. Thanks for the feedback!

#147 6 years ago

I still own about 600-700 board games. I had sold off many a few years back, but still hung onto a sizable chunk of my collection. I've been collecting, playing, designing since the early 80s. I collect any genera, but the more strategic the better.

#148 6 years ago

I'm considering picking up Mansions of Madness Second Edition. Any advice or comments on this one? I like the idea of having the app. How difficult is it to learn?

#149 6 years ago

Pinata is a good 2 player only game.

Quoted from Zampinator:

How was it? Killer deals?

You don't really go to GenCon for the deals, honestly. Most stuff is retail. All the new stuff is.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'm considering picking up Mansions of Madness Second Edition. Any advice or comments on this one? I like the idea of having the app. How difficult is it to learn?

LOVE LOVE LOVE that game. It's really easy to learn. The one negative is that it can take a long time to play -- and some of the scenarios are *really* long. The app saves your state, but doesn't help you re-setup the board if you tear it down.

The other negative is that there are a fixed number of scenarios. They change slightly from each playthrough, but are somewhat similar

But it's DEFINITELY worth it. The app is cool - you can download it through Steam on a PC too if you want (the larger screen is nicer IMHO).

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.