800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 30.
#51 7 years ago

We just finished our campaign on Risk Legacy and I'm tempted to go buy another and start again. Still have an unopened envelope on our first run through. (World Capital) Also just got the storage inserts for Rebellion and may start hitting that again. Those inserts make set up and tear down a lot quicker.

#52 7 years ago

Anybody play Cathedral? One of my all time favorites.
http://www.cathedral-game.co.nz/

#53 7 years ago

I used to playworld of Warcraft but let my account expire after my stroke and 3 brain surgeries. Now that my brain is rewiring boardgames and Magic are very appealing to me again.

The only boardgame I still have left is Cthulhu wars. I'm a Cthulhu nut.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Diane_Sauer:

35 plus year board gamer, with three years publishing games and a lifetime of pinball playing. My day job for the last 15 years has been restoring and repairing pinball machines. Of course it was a matter of time before I combined my two interests. Pinball Showdown, where players play pinballs during multiball is now on Kickstarter.
One of my backers mentioned that I should have posted here about it here. I did send out press releases, but somehow had missed Pinside (DOH!). You can find out more about the game here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919693711/pinball-showdown
The Kickstarter runs until next Thursday 2/9.
Diane

I backed right away. Pledged for the game plus the Atlantis game. Can't wait!

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm a Cthulhu nut.

As a fellow Cthulhu fan, check out Eldritch Horror (or Arkham Horror which is almost the same game as EH but more complex, some would say needlessly so), Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, and Mansions of Madness. Three very different Cthulhu experiences, all fantastic games.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

If you like Dominion, I highly recommend Ascenscion. Same type of gameplay.

Do you play Ascenscion on iPhone/PC, or the real world version? It's one of my top iPhone games, but I've always wondered how it would translate in the real world, seems like all of the counting/counters necessary could make things slow and complicated.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Welcome to Pinside Diane,
Great first post here on the forum.
Nice collection of pinball machines you have there also.
Will we see you at Texas Pinball Festival in late March, or any other expos/festivals around the country in 2017?

Thank you for the nice welcome! I used to go to the Allentown Show in PA and the Whiterose. Also, the one that used to be in Wayne, NJ. This year I'm going to try to get to at least one of them.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

I backed right away. Pledged for the game plus the Atlantis game. Can't wait!

Thank you so much!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Do you play Ascenscion on iPhone/PC, or the real world version? It's one of my top iPhone games, but I've always wondered how it would translate in the real world, seems like all of the counting/counters necessary could make things slow and complicated.

I play both! There is the extra complexity of having to count everything manually, true. What my friends and I do is, we use little glass beads and throw them into a bowl as we count our points up. It's definitely more time consuming that way. My GF loves Ascenscion but refuses to play it in meatspace.

#60 7 years ago

The Mansions of madness second edition is fantastic. You can play with up to 5 people. And no longer have to have someone be the DM. As the DM is now a free downloadable app.

I have played a few missions a couple of times. And they have been different each time.

Because of the app you can also play it solo. Just incase you can't get a few friends together to play.

#61 7 years ago

I prefer Ascension over Dominion. I wish they built on previous sets more rather than just abandoning them, but I could play the base set all the time.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I prefer Ascension over Dominion. I wish they built on previous sets more rather than just abandoning them, but I could play the base set all the time.

I honestly am curious what you mean by this. Ascension doesn't have as many expansions as Dominion, but to me, they seem like they're doing a good job making the sets compatible with one another. Have you seen the new set with portals?

#63 7 years ago

I don't know how I missed this thread till now. My wife and I are pretty big board gamers and have a pretty large collection.

2017-02-03 16.23.19-2 (resized).jpg2017-02-03 16.23.19-2 (resized).jpg

2017-02-03 16.22.34-1 (resized).jpg2017-02-03 16.22.34-1 (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago

Reading this reminded me of game a friend had and I loved as a kid. Space Hop. I haven't thought about it in a long, long time. Teen games of Risk were like the Seinfeld episode: games so long that we had to carry the board carefully from place to place.

imgres (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I honestly am curious what you mean by this. Ascension doesn't have as many expansions as Dominion, but to me, they seem like they're doing a good job making the sets compatible with one another. Have you seen the new set with portals?

Every expansion introduces a new mechanic (events, energy, dreamscapes, honor/champions, etc) and the next set immediately forgets that that mechanic exists. Some of them are really great and would be cool if they made more cards for them, but they don't. They have a lot of really good ideas, but they abandon them.

I haven't seen the portals yet. Last I saw was X with the day/night cards. You can absolutely play with different sets together, but some are more dependent on the cards in that specific set than others.

#66 7 years ago

I can't believe that I just noticed this thread!

I like playing board games too.
IMG_2713 (resized).JPGIMG_2713 (resized).JPG
IMG_2711 (resized).JPGIMG_2711 (resized).JPGIMG_2712 (resized).JPGIMG_2712 (resized).JPG

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The Mansions of Madness second edition is fantastic. You can play with up to 5 people. And no longer have to have someone be the DM. As the DM is now a free downloadable app.

I was just coming to this thread to rave about this one. It's easily my favorite board game. MoM2 is the perfect blend of cardboard and tech fun. You still get the physical gather around the table aspect with the minis, cards and room tiles, but the app is extremely immersive and keeps you on pace and engrossed. It also checks the rare box for taking advantage of my odd gaming table that I modded with a 42" screen. Highly recommended for some Lovecraftian fun!

4x8 Gaming Table4x8 Gaming Table

screen uncoveredscreen uncovered

#68 7 years ago

Surprised no one meationed 'Axis and Allies' board games?

Man we played the shit out that game back in the day!

IMG_1920 (resized).JPGIMG_1920 (resized).JPG

#69 7 years ago

Board games have come a long way since A&A and Risk. Not that those are bad games, by any means.

All you avid gamers... You are aware of GenCon, right?

#70 7 years ago

My family just started playing "real" board games a few months ago and went a little crazy building a nice collection already. It's my wife and nine year old daughter playing with me, so we stick to the somewhat lighter variety and mostly the well known gateway games for now. We absolutely love the Ticket to Ride games, Carcassone, King of Tokyo, Catan, Latice, Munchkin, New York 1901, Castle Panic, Pandemic, etc. I never imagined how big the board game community is...definitely bigger than the pinball community. It has a lot of similarities to pinball though...you can play as competitively or as casually as you want...different types of games for different tastes...deep rules or simple rules...some fantastic artwork...friendly community with sprinkles of drama. While I was surprised at the price of some games (compared to the cheap Walmart level traditional games at least), at least it's a heck of a lot cheaper than pinball! We have filled a closet with enough games to keep us occupied for years for a fraction of the cost of the average pin!

And yes...I backed Pinball Showdown as soon as I saw it pop up on one of my facebook groups! Looks awesome!

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yeah! I've been on a real Dominion kick recently, now that dominion.games is live. Sucks that the license changes hands every year, but I still seem to have some kind of a subscription from when I signed up years ago...
If you like Dominion, I highly recommend Ascenscion. Same type of gameplay.

We played ascension and a few of the other deck building games and none seemed to stick like dominion has for us. I've been hearing the marvel one is good but haven't gotten around to it yet.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

All you avid gamers... You are aware of GenCon, right?

Of course. The wife and I are going this year. We try to hit one major convention a year.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

We absolutely love the Ticket to Ride games, Carcassone, King of Tokyo, Catan, Latice, Munchkin, New York 1901, Castle Panic, Pandemic, etc.

All good games. Ticket to Ride is one of our favorites.

If you want some new games of a similar weight but with some new mechanics, I would suggest looking at Karuba (a puzzley tile laying game) and Royals (a Ticket to Ride style game but with area control).

#74 7 years ago

Has anyone played the new Ticket to Ride: Rails and Sails?

#75 7 years ago

We got the Rails and Sails for the Great Lakes map. A bit longer and more challenging balancing your ships and trains. Just a bit "heavier" for our crowd but they like it. Might want to find a sale though, price about 50% higher than the base game.

#76 7 years ago

Our favorites are Castle Panic and Galaxy Truckers. Also, pretty lucky to have this place in town:

http://spielbound.com

Anyone else have a board game cafe in their town?

#77 7 years ago

I've been playing board games for about seven years now. Everything from simple card games to the most complex euros and war games. I'm lucky to live in the hometown of Gencon too!

Does anyone listen to boardgame podcasts? The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast is great, Dice Tower makes great videos too.

If anyone around the Indianapolis area is looking for a group, let me know! My current gaming group is currently more occupied with drinking beer on Fridays instead of actually playing games... which is fun too!

#78 7 years ago

Oops, misread your title. Guess I'll have to start my own topic for "bored game players".

#79 7 years ago

This thread caused me to fall down an internet rabbit hole looking at all of the Catan expansions that I wasn't aware of.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Of course. The wife and I are going this year. We try to hit one major convention a year.

Nice. It seems there's a scheduling issue evey other year, so this is my off year.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

We got the Rails and Sails for the Great Lakes map. A bit longer and more challenging balancing your ships and trains. Just a bit "heavier" for our crowd but they like it. Might want to find a sale though, price about 50% higher than the base game.

Thanks. My wife loves the games. But I'm getting a bit burnt out on them as they seem to be the only board game out of the 100s I own she wants to play. We just started Star Wars Destiny. I build her Hero deck better than mine, so she wins. Now she enjoys that as well.

#82 7 years ago

Does anyone here collect vintage board games? I have started collecting vintage games from the 1960's to 1980's.

#83 7 years ago

Any Avalon Hill "Titan" players out there in the Long Island area?

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Does anyone here collect vintage board games? I have started collecting vintage games from the 1960's to 1980's.

My husband and I have a board game collection that is getting close to 3000 pieces. Both are long time gamers (35 years plus) and we both had collections before we married. Selling off the duplicates is how we paid for our honeymoon.

#85 7 years ago

I see a bunch of people have backed Pinball Showdown since I commented on it, so here is one big thank you to all of you for backing the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919693711/pinball-showdown

Box and cards 7 (resized).pngBox and cards 7 (resized).png

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Diane_Sauer:

My husband and I have a board game collection that is getting close to 3000 pieces.

That is amazing. I would love to see pictures of some of your collection. I really enjoy hunting for games. Right now I am looking for The Beatles Flip Your Wig Game, Goonies, Ghost Castle, Frogger, Super Heroes, and the list goes on...

#87 7 years ago

Played Champions of Midgard last night. It's really good. Compared to Lords of Waterdeep pretty often. Half our group liked champions better than Waterdeep.

#88 7 years ago

I have multiple gaming groups, all with different types of games. We have a set of games for my wife that she has learned and loves.

Splendor, Oceanos, Mysterium, Tsurro, and Quadropolis. She also liked Five Tribes, but then we tossed in the expansion and she started to get confused so we backed it out.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That is amazing. I would love to see pictures of some of your collection. I really enjoy hunting for games. Right now I am looking for The Beatles Flip Your Wig Game, Goonies, Ghost Castle, Frogger, Super Heroes, and the list goes on...

ebay.com link: itm

ebay.com link: like

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

We don't have many of the kids/TV type games. Most of our games are strategy games like the old Avalon Hill, SPI, 3M and GDW. We have also published a few games now (Pinball Showdown is now on Kickstarter).

#91 7 years ago

If anyone is interested in a game called Dwarven Miner, I have an brand new one that I would be willing to sell for $10.00 plus shipping.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

If anyone is interested in a game called Dwarven Miner, I have an brand new one that I would be willing to sell for $10.00 plus shipping.

Great deal on a great game. I'll take it.

#93 7 years ago

I guess I am out of the loop. I haven't played most of the games mentioned. I really haven't played many in a while. We used to have my cousin and her husband come over every Friday night and we would spend the weekend playing cards and board games until Sunday night. I really love Axis and Allies and the Gamemaster Series, Shogun and Fortress America. I have I think 100 or so games mostly 70's and up. I think when I last counted I had 20 different variations of Monopoly. I'll have to check into some of the games mentioned here.

4 months later
#94 6 years ago

Pin-less now for the first time in a few years while I wait for SW delivery. Set up a board game table and there are a few really good ones out there that are hot right now.

Current favorites: Scythe, Viticulture, Terraforming Mars, Arkham Horror LCG, and New Angeles. Patiently waiting for Near and Far, Gloomhaven, and a reprint of Stop Thief with updated gameplay and an App thief to replace the original hand held unit.

Will help pass the time until SW arrives!

#95 6 years ago

I been board gaming for the last 2 years collecting a bunch.

I just completed Talisman before it went out of print,

I play battlelore a lot and have everything but 3 small expansions.

Heroquest every now and then because it's still the best.

And I'm awaiting sword & sorcery and massive darkness as I backed them on kickstarter

#96 6 years ago

What games would you suggest to a group of fairly inexperienced gamers? I've got them to play things like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo, etc. They aren't going to play anything too deep, too long, too much waiting, or require too much reading. At the same time I'd like to keep pushing them with the complexity a little bit.

#97 6 years ago

Code names is great for a bigger crowd. Splendor really good for 4. Mysterium is really good for up to 7, little bit of setup but not much learning.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What games would you suggest to a group of fairly inexperienced gamers? I've got them to play things like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo, etc. They aren't going to play anything too deep, too long, too much waiting, or require too much reading. At the same time I'd like to keep pushing them with the complexity a little bit.

For less experienced groups or low time-investment games, we like One Night Ultimate Werewolf (with the app to serve as narrator) as well as Spyfall.
We are currently really enjoying Scythe and awaiting Gloomhaven.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The right answer is always Carcassonne, but I'm guessing you are familiar with that one already. Base game is very simple and if you want a bit more complexity, each expansion adds more to do.

Also check out Tokaido. We recently picked it up and really love it. It's basically a set collection game. Beautiful, fun, and not too complex. My 9 year old kicked out butts.

I also agree with the Mysterium recommendation above...great game.

Maybe something like Castle Panic, Munchkin, Sushi Go Party.

I really need to check out 7 Wonders one of these days...looks interesting.

#100 6 years ago

Doh...sorry double post.

But I'll add depending on the group, a "story telling" game like Sheriff of Nottingham or Gloom could be a lot of fun.

Also if you like sheer panic, Fuse is an awesome co-op dice game. Definitely download the timer app to add to the atmosphere.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/2?hl=a-1bogart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.