800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.
#1301 1 year ago

I finally got my 12th expansion when they did the reprints recently. Haven’t built nearly enough of the models but am going to be working on the campaign this year as well since the gamblers chest probably won’t be here till after fall.

1 week later
#1302 1 year ago

44 pound box arriving from Cephalofair tomorrow…

#1303 1 year ago

Played a couple of games of Dog Park. I think Wingspan is definitely the superior game, but my daughter really enjoyed it, and I appreciate that it moves along pretty quickly.

BGS 20230116 145149 (resized).jpgBGS 20230116 145149 (resized).jpg
#1304 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Played a couple of games of Dog Park. I think Wingspan is definitely the superior game, but my daughter really enjoyed it, and I appreciate that it moves along pretty quickly. [quoted image]

I have Dog Park but haven't gotten it to the table yet. Bought it to play with my wife as we occasionally play 2P games. How does it play at 2P?

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I have Dog Park but haven't gotten it to the table yet. Bought it to play with my wife as we occasionally play 2P games. How does it play at 2P?

With 2p it uses a bot to cause a little disruption. It's pretty easy to avoid in the bidding if you want to, it always targets the highest value breed, so you can anticipate where it will end up. Through the Park phase it may land on a space you want, which will make you decide between skipping that space or lose a victory point to get the reward. I think it works well enough to throw a little conflict in the mix, otherwise the game would probably be too passive.

#1306 1 year ago

I had Dog Park in my hand a couple of visits and just haven't pulled the trigger. It would be a perfect game to play with my niece in the group, but that seldom happens. I have been investing in some 2 player games to play with the wife and we've been having fun with Patchwork and Splendor Duel. Also just discovered Final Girl and really enjoying that as a single player game.

#1307 1 year ago

It's hard not to compare Dog Park to Wingspan, and I end up just appreciating Wingspan more because of it. Wingspan just has a more satisfying engine build. Dog Park feels like it has scoring cards and complimentary cards more than an engine. I found myself looking over what other breeds people have to see where I could gain an edge, so if you want player interaction, Dog Park probably excels in that area.

From my limited plays of Dog Park, If you're only going to pickup one, I'd definitely recommend Wingspan.

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

44 pound box arriving from Cephalofair tomorrow…

Is it glorious?

#1309 1 year ago

I got the insert along with it so it took us about 2 1/2 hours to punch it, assemble it and get it ready to play. Has the same field which is a good thing and it’s nice and fresh with the loot instead of just going for coins. The manual I must say, is terrible for getting you prepped and ready to play a campaign. There is a four sheet leaflet that says the first things you should do but it’s not very well done. People diving into this that aren’t medium to hard-core gamer’s and/or have played Gloomhaven are gonna have a hard time starting out. We did the first four scenarios. It took an average of an hour and 45 each which is about what we did for gloomhaven. Really looking forward to reading through the rulebook during downtime and starting off on the right foot on the next scenarios and the town building function looks really good as well as some of the new ways to get items.

Yes it’s glorious!

#1310 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I was excited for Frosthaven but I’m completely consumed with Kingdom Death Monster. I think that game is going to carry me through 2023.

Had to look that one up (KDM)... wow...

And I thought Gloomhaven was a commitment... need to get back to that... about 1/2 way thru... put it away last spring and haven't gone back to it yet...

#1311 1 year ago

Received Aeon Trespass Odessy a few weeks ago. That game is super heavy. Not sure when I will get it to the table and will most likely be playing it solo.

#1312 1 year ago

So far the only negative thing I have to say about Frosthaven, isn't even about the game itself, but rather the special insert they went with. Almost all of my games that I play often, have an insert in there. Mostly the wood ones, some the foam, but the foam isn't the problem. It's just not set up in a way to speed up the dreaded setup and tear down. The original BT one for Gloom had the monsters nice and neatly tucked away in their own boxes with the cards and the names on them. This one just gives you a place to mash all the tokens into an organizer so that they can be stored in the box. We spent so much time trying to find the right tokens that I finally just took them all out of the storage trays and will find a way to file them all together to help setup time. The trays for the map overlays are awful as well, as they are mashed in there with only storage in mind, not for finding the ones you need. They did make up for it a bit with the map overlay accordion folder so those map pieces are easier to find. Overall I wish I would have not ordered the insert, but I'll dismantle it and come up with a better solution to fit our needs.

#1313 1 year ago

I don't have much time in KDM, maybe only 5 or 6 sessions, but went all in after those plays. That is going to be a long term type of game, spanning the next half decade or so. ATO definitely borrows a lot from KDM, and we only have 1 play in on that, but are very excited to continue that story after we come down from the Frosthaven honeymoon. ATO adds a few things, but the biggest difference out of the box is that it has everything ready to go and some nice miniatures. KDM is a lot of assembly, but that is part of the draw, model building, painting, and board gaming all rolled into one. The customization options in KDM are almost unlimited. The very adult oriented art in KDM keeps it from staying setup on the table for now, but as the kids are all growing up and moving on, there will be a more permanent setup to get through hundreds of hours (and dollars) of entertainment.

#1314 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

And I thought Gloomhaven was a commitment

I think KDM is more of a financial commitment, but I don’t think it takes anymore time to play once you get going. The core set is $420, but there are sales from time to time. With the core set, there is a TON of content. It’s also very high quality. So, you do get what you pay for.

It’s the best game I’ve ever played. Like Groo said, it’s going to be a game I play for years, especially with the expansions that exist and are coming.

2 weeks later
#1315 1 year ago

Finally received this game... contributed to the Kickstarter more than 18 months ago.
Seems to be worth the wait !

Trying to understand the rules, but that's not easy, even after watching this tutorial...

IMG_4865 (resized).jpgIMG_4865 (resized).jpg
#1316 1 year ago

Ready Steady Play out of the UK has two live play videos that might help!

https://www.youtube.com/live/a9fOQ4PeY_4
https://www.youtube.com/live/jwFLFgtq7Do

#1317 1 year ago

We played several rounds of 7 Wonders with 7 people last night. Lots of fun.

#1318 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I think KDM is more of a financial commitment, but I don’t think it takes anymore time to play once you get going. The core set is $420, but there are sales from time to time. With the core set, there is a TON of content. It’s also very high quality. So, you do get what you pay for.
It’s the best game I’ve ever played. Like Groo said, it’s going to be a game I play for years, especially with the expansions that exist and are coming.

Quoted from Groo:

I don't have much time in KDM, maybe only 5 or 6 sessions, but went all in after those plays... The customization options in KDM are almost unlimited. The very adult oriented art in KDM keeps it from staying setup on the table for now, but as the kids are all growing up and moving on, there will be a more permanent setup to get through hundreds of hours (and dollars) of entertainment.

After a ridiculously longtime lurking, playing on TTS, and absorbing a ton of what the internet has to offer on this game, I finally took the plunge and hit the buy button on KDM yesterday. I don't know that I'll ever get it to the table, I don't really have the space, and I'll probably have to solo it... but I'm pretty excited for the ride.

On the other side of the spectrum, if you're looking for another great game for a high player count - Ready Set Bet! is awesome. Had to get myself some upgrades for this one!

Ready Set Bet (resized).jpgReady Set Bet (resized).jpg
#1319 1 year ago

Used to play a ton of boardgames years ago but now it's all miniatures games. Currently concentrating on Dropfleet Commander and Blood & Plunder.

#1320 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

We played several rounds of 7 Wonders with 7 people last night. Lots of fun.

My current favourite for a short game. For a longer game, Puerto Rico. I love that the only random element is the order of resource tiles, everything else is determined by the players and the games are wildly different.

#1321 1 year ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

After a ridiculously longtime lurking, playing on TTS, and absorbing a ton of what the internet has to offer on this game, I finally took the plunge and hit the buy button on KDM yesterday. I don't know that I'll ever get it to the table, I don't really have the space, and I'll probably have to solo it... but I'm pretty excited for the ride.
On the other side of the spectrum, if you're looking for another great game for a high player count - Ready Set Bet! is awesome. Had to get myself some upgrades for this one!
[quoted image]

Looks super fun! Where did you get the upgrades if I might ask?

#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Looks super fun! Where did you get the upgrades if I might ask?

I got the mats made at Inked Gaming, using a file on BGG. The horses I got from this site: https://www.cappelsinc.com/product/plastic-horse-with-jockey/.

Since that pic I slapped a little bit of paint on the jockey jerseys to designate the blue, red, and orange horses, and since then we've been off to the races. (Bad pun intended). The app is fantastic if no one wants to call the race but rolling dice and doing so is almost as fun as betting in my opinion.

#1323 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

My current favourite for a short game. For a longer game, Puerto Rico. I love that the only random element is the order of resource tiles, everything else is determined by the players and the games are wildly different.

I've heard good things about that game.

We are going to play Wingspan for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it.

1 week later
#1324 1 year ago

I would like to ask the question here about board games converted to portable games.
Regarding those games, which are the favorites of this group?
Pc ok too. Thanks.

We have excellent places to play near me, but I am not easily able to go play at them.

#1325 1 year ago

Getting back into playing Arkham Horror LCG with my family. There is a rat hole you can go down with this game trying to hyper-optimize decks but I'm trying to resist that and just play with something decent and more enjoy the story and the co-operative experience.

#1326 1 year ago

i wanna do a Table Golf Association/Pingolf crossover event

#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Getting back into playing Arkham Horror LCG with my family. There is a rat hole you can go down with this game trying to hyper-optimize decks but I'm trying to resist that and just play with something decent and more enjoy the story and the co-operative experience.

I bought Arkham when it came out and just put it on reserve for all expansions and now I'm looking at a mountain of content. I think I need to do what you're doing and not dive 100% into the best deck. Just start playing through the scenarios.

#1328 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

I don't have much time in KDM, maybe only 5 or 6 sessions, but went all in after those plays. That is going to be a long term type of game, spanning the next half decade or so. ATO definitely borrows a lot from KDM, and we only have 1 play in on that, but are very excited to continue that story after we come down from the Frosthaven honeymoon. ATO adds a few things, but the biggest difference out of the box is that it has everything ready to go and some nice miniatures. KDM is a lot of assembly, but that is part of the draw, model building, painting, and board gaming all rolled into one. The customization options in KDM are almost unlimited. The very adult oriented art in KDM keeps it from staying setup on the table for now, but as the kids are all growing up and moving on, there will be a more permanent setup to get through hundreds of hours (and dollars) of entertainment.

We love, and hate KDM. The campaigns we have had would run for months with our group but also stuff in KDM can be so random and suddenly months of work just crashes down after one or two bad sessions causing a game over.

#1329 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

We love, and hate KDM. The campaigns we have had would run for months with our group but also stuff in KDM can be so random and suddenly months of work just crashes down after one or two bad sessions causing a game over.

I’m a huge KDM guy, but there is a lot of dice rolling that can result in some unfair results. I totally get it. I just try to look at as more of an experience than a board game at this point. With that being said I understand that’s not everyone’s thing.

#1330 1 year ago

I read an article recently out of about a game called Lionheart that came out in the 90s it's supposed to be a cross between chess Stratego and risk so I picked up a sealed copy for 50 bucks.

Anyone play it before?

#1331 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would like to ask the question here about board games converted to portable games.
Pc ok too. Thanks.
We have excellent places to play near me, but I am not easily able to go play at them.

I have a friend that plays boardgames online, the only one that comes to mind is Gloomhaven.

#1332 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I've heard good things about that game.
We are going to play Wingspan for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Wingspan was really great. Fast learn and just beautiful.

#1333 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Pc ok too. Thanks.

The Ticket To Ride app has been one of my favorites. Wingspan has an app but I haven't really had much time with it.

Quoted from RyanStl:

I have a friend that plays boardgames online, the only one that comes to mind is Gloomhaven.

I play gloomhaven every Wednesday on PC. It's really well done (with a few UI quirks). I can't imagine the amount of setup and organization required to manually play that game.

#1334 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I play gloomhaven every Wednesday on PC. It's really well done (with a few UI quirks). I can't imagine the amount of setup and organization required to manually play that game.

there is a companion app that eliminates almost all of the fidliness

#1335 1 year ago

Gloomhaven soon!

#1336 1 year ago

Jaws of the Lion is quicker to setup and play as you don't need to piece together the maps -- they are printed in the scenario book. Also the scope of Jaws of the Lion is more like a few months of playing rather than a year. Recommended!

#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Also the scope of Jaws of the Lion is more like a few months of playing rather than a year. Recommended!

I second this. Jaws of the Lion is a great precursor to Gloomhaven. I recommend playing it first no matter what and it will make Gloomhaven more enjoyable when you get to it.

#1338 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would like to ask the question here about board games converted to portable games

Carcassonne has an app. Interesting solitaire version. Head to head connectionwas buggy when we tried it a few years ago.

#1339 1 year ago

I consider Carcassonne to be more of an activity than an actual board game. It’s just something to do.

1 week later
#1340 1 year ago

Patiently waiting the arrival of the third expansion for our favorite game Tapestry. That's the game that'll break our Frosthaven streak. FH is debatable at this point whether it's better than Gloomhaven. The looting and crafting may be better, but it's still just gather X to aquire X. We still don't feel like we can play without the rulebook, even after 100 hours of Gloomhaven as well. The skipping around the scenario book is way too cumbersome and would rather just have it back to the GH way and have it all right together. Still some rules confusion as well and finding the rulebook a little less than desirable. All in all though it is a great game when you get in the scenarios and some really clever mechanics in there.

#1341 1 year ago

Got the second season of Final Girl in, never playing the first but hearing only good things. I'm not a huge fan of solo games or modes, but this one really is a bit of fun. Granted, it is hugely dependent on luck with dice rolls, where with early crap rolls you might as well just reset the game. However, there's a ton of variety here with every "feature film," a combination of a setting and enemy, making a huge change to the game and strategy.

#1342 1 year ago

I just recently bought the entire season 1 for Final Girl and really like it. Most games playing solo are weird to me, but this one, much like Nemo and Falling skies felt perfect. I finally won a game when I started searching and got a weapon, got lucky clearing the map, and took it to him. I'll be watching to get all of season 2 here shortly.

#1343 1 year ago

Bought Wingspan after playing with friends. I believe it's my favorite game now. Wife likes Everdell better, but I like Wingspan more.

2 months later
#1344 10 months ago

Pinball yugioh card, coming through!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1345 10 months ago

My wife and I along with another couple is going to Gencon this year. First time. Any advice?

1 week later
#1346 10 months ago

We have been playing Unmatched a lot lately. My buddy has almost all of them and we roll to determine characters. It's a really fun simply game hat is very well thought out. It's kind of like Dice Throne where characters/editions can be swapped in and out, but I like it a lot better.

#1347 10 months ago

One of these years I’m going to go to Gen-con. Still never been there.

Very slow June game wise this month. Pinball, Zelda, and Diablo have soaked up free time.

#1348 10 months ago

Just found this thread…very cool. Pinball and Board Games are absolutely my jam….Started getting into the kickstarter funded type games which is so easy to drop huge amounts of Money…and I thought Pinball was expensive…hosting game night is getting tougher as my group of friends get better at Pinball it takes longer to get to the board game…here are some if my favourites…..Settlers of Catan is likely the most played with neighbours and friends alike wanting to play…just picked up the Catan space game. Will hopefully open it up tonight! Also picked up a new game table…very inexpensive company here in Ontario makes a hold ‘em table….adding custom neoprene mat…and have options for game night….With Halloween showing up, and new James Bond, TS4, and GF pins showing up in July its going to be tough to get to board games. It does look like foundations of Rome 2nd edition is heading to Manufacturing it looks like 2023 is game year for sure!

IMG_3592 (resized).jpegIMG_3592 (resized).jpegIMG_3593 (resized).jpegIMG_3593 (resized).jpegIMG_3594 (resized).jpegIMG_3594 (resized).jpegIMG_4997 (resized).jpegIMG_4997 (resized).jpegIMG_5195 (resized).jpegIMG_5195 (resized).jpegIMG_5274 (resized).jpegIMG_5274 (resized).jpeg
#1349 10 months ago

Unmatched is genius. Once you learn you like it you want to buy all of the games. Like anything, the older stuff that's cool is out of stock everywhere and super expensive on Ebay. The Bruce Lee character would be cool to have, but damn, not at $200 or more.

#1350 10 months ago

Too many shrink wrap games on the shelf! Nice space there and a lot of fun games. I did like that foundations of Rome too and I’ve been playing it for a while just waiting for the expansion.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.