6DEE0B97-1F3F-4D5E-BDE6-E381D2FAF740 (resized).jpeg
20220101_023524 (resized).jpg
20211231_155347 (resized).jpg
20211229_160700 (resized).jpg
4EE98F93-D332-49F9-A38C-BD5608C8E3F0 (resized).jpeg
882262F9-298B-4748-A346-622734EFA6C1 (resized).jpeg
7716B628-A011-4161-AB3E-F2DEFE26C953 (resized).jpeg
053F373D-1B71-44D4-9682-AB2A9A52FD2B (resized).jpeg

There are 1,145 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.
#1101 3 months ago

Overall I don’t mind. The app itself is more the focus of attention and it does a good job. We’ve only played the first two scenarios and haven’t used the expansion yet though.

#1102 3 months ago

I think it’s great, and agreed about the upgrades. They made it sound like the larger mat was going to be huge, but it fits perfectly on my gaming table.

My only gripes are keeping up with the advantages during battle and some end boss cards. We have to use fingers to constantly count advantages, so not sure why there isn’t some sort of ticker in the app for this. As for the end bosses, cards that force skulls without the ability to use advantages almost always cause an insta-lose. At the end stage of the game, our skull count is usually pretty low, and getting an auto 8 skull loss without being able to knock the number down kinda sucks.

Haven’t used the expansion, as there’s already enough going on for us. Plus I hear another expansion is in the works!

#1103 3 months ago

Speaking of app enhanced games with toys, anyone have thoughts on the Teburu system?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xplored/the-bad-karmas

#1104 3 months ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Speaking of app enhanced games with toys, anyone have thoughts on the Teburu system?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xplored/the-bad-karmas

It's interesting, for sure. It's got a lot of potential for different games, and I like the app recognition of the board state. My immediate thought was "KDM would be awesome on this." If they add some settlement building to Bad Karmas, it might be worth checking out for me.

Still, I think it might be too much tech for me, since you have a main screen and then most everything else you do (playing cards, choosing actions) seems to be on the phone... not in love with that. I'm not opposed to app assisted games, (I've been waffling on getting Descent: Legends in the Dark) but I think I'll sit out the first couple Teburu games out and see what else comes out for it.

#1105 3 months ago

I just tried out Dark Tower yesterday. I have the original from a garage sale that i bought for $10 in 1990 in brand new condition. The new version is different but fun. our game took about 90 minutes because we were just learning what to do, but my boys can't wait to play it again.

#1106 3 months ago

There's a buy2 get1 deal going on at Amazon right now. This site offers a cleaner experience than the Amazon UI:

https://tabletopbellhop.com/tabletop-gaming-deals/amazon-b2g1-boardgames/#byprice

I grabbed two copies of the Harry Potter deckbuilder (one for my niece, one for our family) and Viticulture, which I've wanted to try for quite a while. I'm really on the fence with Azul, but I already own Sagrada and seem feel similar (and it's not really my favorite game to begin with). I really want to get Onitama, but it doesn't seem worth it to grab a couple of more expensive games I'm unsure of to get a $22 game for free. But maybe..

#1107 3 months ago

They've actually added stuff since yesterday. I don't think Formula D or Arkham Horror were there before. I might have to grab those..

#1108 3 months ago

Azul is pretty much our casual go to game if we have new people or just want to kill a half an hour. Much easier to teach and play than Sagrada. Viticulture has a big expansion announcement next week which I'm looking forward to. Who knew making wine could be so fun?

Nice to see KS games coming in. Got Perseverance hitting my door today.

#1109 3 months ago

Azul is great fun, easy to learn and play with newbies. All that and it is colorful and a cool concept. Sometimes simplicity is a very good thing.

#1110 3 months ago

Good to know, thanks for the rec. I'll probably grab it as one of the 3 in my next order, just waiting for something else to pop up now. Formula D went out, and I was look warm on it anyway. I was confusing it with Pitch Car, which is unlike anything I have and seems like fun.

1 week later
#1111 81 days ago

Always enjoyed a good game of Battleship as a kid.

battleship (resized).jpg
#1112 75 days ago

Oh, baby!

55C1CE22-79E3-4FE3-B1B0-86316C334723 (resized).jpeg
#1113 75 days ago

Got mine today too. I’m not going to bother finding my name.

#1114 74 days ago

Did you get both boxes? I opened mine and saw that it was missing the trading/stealing chits. Checked the shipping Email and saw that there's two boxes being sent. Had I not noticed this module, I would have completely forgot about the other extras like the starting player statue. I think this one took every bit of 2 years to produce since the kickstarter ended. While a pretty basic game, it is gorgeous, but that box is a huge cement block.

#1115 74 days ago

Yeah the second box has the extra punch board in the statue if you ordered it. It’s funny because there’s a word document out there that you can do a search so you can find your name on the box easier. Playing it tonight for sure.

#1116 73 days ago
Quoted from Groo:

Yeah the second box has the extra punch board in the statue if you ordered it. It’s funny because there’s a word document out there that you can do a search so you can find your name on the box easier. Playing it tonight for sure.

What are your thoughts after first play-through? I did the base game without any modules and felt it kinda boring. I do like how the capitals, or whatever the adjacent multipliers are called, can really make or break things when buildings are replaced, though, which is how I lost due to a last minute population multiplier placement. The game just felt really solitaire, so I’ll look into the modules to try and spice things up for next play.

Maybe I’m just spoiled by how pleased I am with dark tower.

#1117 73 days ago

We played 5 and really liked it. We just did the base but tonight we may try it with monuments the roles and objectives I think. It’s definitely on the lighter side but you can definitely be more strategic. At the end the buildings were mostly residential, but we didn’t see the added bonus at game end for commercial. That will change I’m sure. It’s just weird that the trading module shipped in a different box because they were instantly asking if we can swap sites.

4 weeks later
#1118 43 days ago

Has anyone played Kingdom Death: Monster? If so, what are your thoughts? I’m looking for a new big and epic game. Before anyone recommends Gloomhaven, I’ve played the hell out of it and loved it. The other game I’m looking at is Shadows of Brimestone, which would have a more similar feel as Gloomhaven. Kingdom Death is really intriguing but it is also $420 so not something you just grab to try. Thanks everyone.

#1119 43 days ago

Can't comment on KDM but I owned Shadows of Brimstone. It is a cool game but can get bogged down in calculating modifiers plus rolling TONS of dice. Also all sculpts are on sprues so you need to glue them together. I enjoyed the game but my group not so much and I ended up selling it.

#1120 43 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Has anyone played Kingdom Death: Monster?

One other thing to mention is that I play these types of games solo.

#1121 43 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

One other thing to mention is that I play these types of games solo.

Do you play Mage Knight?

#1122 43 days ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Do you play Mage Knight?

Yes. I own and have played Mage Knight. That’s an excellent recommendation nevertheless.

#1123 43 days ago

KDM is about as big and epic as it gets. I bought it after about 50 games of Gloomhaven. We only played it 2 players for about half a lantern year and were hooked. It would be just fine as a single player as you wouldn't have to debate decisions to be made for your settlement. There is a lot to it and you could easily get your money out of it, even at that price. You could drop easily 3 times that on expansions and the new stuff coming out, which I did. We have not gotten much more time into it as it took a back seat to games we could play with the family, but it is going to get a permanent setup and home for us in the near future.

There are some things that kind of keep this in a die hard / cult crowd though. The art direction is very adult oriented, which is why we only 2 manned it, as it was a bit old for our kids. There is a lot of model building, and the assembly guides are all online, so a bit of effort is there to build. You can get as involved with that as you like, as it's a hobby all it's own. Or you can just put together 4 figures and the bosses and go from there. There are so many sprues and new types of armor to thematically build your heroes as you take down bosses and get gear made from them. You can even build them with different weapons too to match what your character is on paper.

You'll want to order the sleeves with it as well though. The cards are pretty thin and the card backs are very susceptible to oil marks and smudges from fingers. I never sleeve anymore, but did with this one and will keep it up with the new material.

DM me if you have more specific questions or want a bigger run down on the whole KDM community and upcoming releases. That's another hobby in it's own as well, trying to keep up with development!

#1124 43 days ago
Quoted from Groo:

KDM is about as big and epic as it gets.

This is fantastic and exactly the info I was hoping to find. I’m fairly certain I will love the game, but want to do as much diligence as possible. It seems like the expansions aren’t currently available? I only see the base game on the developers website. Good call with the sleeves. I haven’t sleeved for a long time but will with this one.

I may reach out with more questions as I progress. Thanks again. I really appreciate the thoughtful response.

#1125 43 days ago

So the KDM world has been up in arms over the latest content that is years behind, but has expanded far beyond what was originally offered. The Gamblers Chest probably won't even arrive this year because he is still working on it. I left my money in it and have plenty to do with the game before that even arrives. The expansions though have been hard to come by and have been marked way up on ebay. He has finally said he will be opening up orders for a reprint of all the expansions, so that would be the time to go in on those. I still have one left to buy, but refuse to pay the inflated prices and will just order it when they open up. (I'd probably spend more for an IM topper and not think twice!)

#1126 43 days ago

Been a while since we had a new game update. Ark Nova after a couple plays deserves the hype that it is getting. Part Terraforming Mars, part Tapestry, can't remember now the last game to compare it to. It has a lot of elements from other games and pulls them together nicely. Throws in a final score calculator that is pretty unique. Starting to see Kickstarters arriving, better late than never. Auztralia big box and expansion arrived, Dark Knight Returns, My Father's Work is delivering soon. Got the new version of Azul but haven't played it yet. Tenpenny Parks is a good amusement park builder as well from Thunderworks.

#1127 43 days ago
Quoted from Groo:

Been a while since we had a new game update. Ark Nova after a couple plays deserves the hype that it is getting. Part Terraforming Mars, part Tapestry, can't remember now the last game to compare it to. It has a lot of elements from other games and pulls them together nicely. Throws in a final score calculator that is pretty unique. Starting to see Kickstarters arriving, better late than never. Auztralia big box and expansion arrived, Dark Knight Returns, My Father's Work is delivering soon. Got the new version of Azul but haven't played it yet. Tenpenny Parks is a good amusement park builder as well from Thunderworks.

I've seen comparisons to wingspan, which is a big positive in my book.

I played quacks of quedlinburg with friends at MGC. Very good, and a great game for a social setting. I think my wife and daughter will really like it.

We also test drove Trogdor at mgc. Not a fan of that one - very random movements really straps away the bulk if the strategy.

#1128 43 days ago

I think board games do really well on mobile, so much so that I considered it one of my primary use cases in a tablet (last gen used) purchase.

There are a ton of really good official apps out there, and some offer asynchronous online play. Otherwise hot seat pass and play is also an option. With the age of my kids and our schedules, it's really tough to get physical games to the table, and prior game knowledge and ease of setup is paramount. The apps really help to expand that knowledge, and play something casual when we're just not up to setting something up.

While not an android app, I've actually been using steam link to play the PC version of Gloomhaven. That works incredibly well with the S-Pen, like it was built for the tablet. It's a cool way to play a game I'd probably otherwise not experience.

I also played some root in the app with friends. That game doesn't play great asynchronously because some of the turns may require interaction from other players. My biggest gripe is the app forces you through everyone else's actions every time you enter the game (which will close unless the app is in the front). There are notifications, but if you check in at all to see where things stand, you'll be brought through those same actions, again and again, with no way to skip. Having it in app form is nice to keep only eligible actions available, but the balance, but the game is very complex, and doesn't seem very balanced. I also think some factions would really benefit from table negotiations, and that's not easy to do async.

#1129 39 days ago

Anyone in on the new Leder Games "Arcs" currently live on kickstarter? I really love their game "Vast" and Arcs seems like something I could get to the table with the relatively short play time.

#1130 39 days ago

Wonder if it’s a thing that they have to be 4 letter names? Fort, Root, Vast, Oath, Arcs…

#1131 36 days ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Anyone in on the new Leder Games "Arcs" currently live on kickstarter? I really love their game "Vast" and Arcs seems like something I could get to the table with the relatively short play time.

I had a group going and then realized the some FLGS had it for cheaper than the KS. Might want to check your local store.
Cheers.

#1132 36 days ago

I got My Father’s Work in the other day and started reading the manual last night. It says to download an app, but it doesn’t appear as an option to download on my phone (iOS). Maybe it’s just a tablet app? Some of the components are pretty over-the-top, like the glass vials, but the concept seems really fun! Looking forward to this hitting the table….once I find the required app…

#1133 36 days ago

If you go to boardgame geeks forum there is a beta website link in there that you can run one of the scenarios. The app should be really good but just using this website we were able to complete the scenario and get the gist of the game and work out any kinks. We really enjoyed it.

#1134 36 days ago

I thought I’d share - my preference is for narrative games - games that give you a story to tell:

Nemesis
Shadows Of Brimstone
Fury of Dracula 3rd edition
Who Goes There? 2.0
Eldritch Horror
Western Legends
Hellboy the Board Game
The Thing the board Game
Zombicide (original)
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Legendary Encounters Alien
Legendary Encounters XFiles
Arkham Horror the card game
Project Elite
London Dread
Chronicles of Crime

I generally like coop or semi-coop - makes it a better experience for all, since the seasoned players can help out new players.

#1135 36 days ago
Quoted from Groo:

If you go to boardgame geeks forum there is a beta website link in there that you can run one of the scenarios. The app should be really good but just using this website we were able to complete the scenario and get the gist of the game and work out any kinks. We really enjoyed it.

I saw there is a link to site in the manual, I’ll check it out along with the bgg one. Do you know if the app is still in the process of development and just hasn’t been released yet, or is it strictly tablet only?

#1136 36 days ago

It’s still in development and in addition to android iPhone it will have a web app. The link in the manual only goes to their website.

#1137 36 days ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I thought I’d share - my preference is for narrative games - games that give you a story to tell:
Nemesis
Shadows Of Brimstone
Fury of Dracula 3rd edition
Who Goes There? 2.0
Eldritch Horror
Western Legends
Hellboy the Board Game
The Thing the board Game
Zombicide (original)
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Legendary Encounters Alien
Legendary Encounters XFiles
Arkham Horror the card game
Project Elite
London Dread
Chronicles of Crime
I generally like coop or semi-coop - makes it a better experience for all, since the seasoned players can help out new players.

Thanks for the list, i think we have similar tastes! You might want to add Mansions of Madness and Dead of Winter to your list.

#1138 36 days ago

Ryan Laukat / Red Raven games are good narrative type games as well.

#1139 36 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Thanks for the list, i think we have similar tastes! You might want to add Mansions of Madness and Dead of Winter to your list.

I have DOW, know about Mansions thanks. I also have Fortune and Glory, and have played Cthulhu Death May Die. Glad to hear you like these too

4 weeks later
#1140 7 days ago

Looks like I'll be doing some game demo work at GenCon this year. Anybody else going to be going there?

-Hans

#1141 7 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Looks like I'll be doing some game demo work at GenCon this year. Anybody else going to be going there?
-Hans

Nice, I haven't been there since they moved to Indiana. Was fun times! Even placed first in the official Shadowrun tournament one year.

#1142 6 days ago

I would like to go but can’t this year. I may look into for next year though.

#1143 6 days ago

Finally got all my Shadows of Brimstone stuff from CO to CA via airline flights. Only so much you can put in a bag. Oof - the game is great, but it is by far, hands down the hardest game to store or transport. I wish they had gone the same route as Gloomhaven, and have cardboard standees instead of miniatures.

#1144 6 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

-Hans

Not this year. Stuck inside the new FLGS I just opened and don't have the staffing yet to escape!

#1145 6 days ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Not this year. Stuck inside the new FLGS I just opened and don't have the staffing yet to escape!

Fun! If you set up an account direct with Pegasus Spiele, make sure to tell them Hans sent you. (Trying to get a job with them).

There are 1,145 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!