800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 30.
#1051 2 years ago

We bought ROOT.

Having a tough time with the asymmetric ruleset with 4 players.

I want to love it, but it's not loving me back.

#1052 2 years ago

Here's my haul. I've been wanting Scythe for a while, just afraid that it won't get to the table too often. We'll see.

20211229_160700 (resized).jpg20211229_160700 (resized).jpg
#1053 2 years ago

Scythe is one of my favorites. The app for that game helped get me through the pandemic.

Root is a game that I want to like more than I do. The art is great. The asymmetrical mechanics are cool. I like tactical war games. Yet, it somehow doesn't come together. It's a not bad game, but it's a 6 for me when I want it to be an 8. I have yet to put my finger on it. My best theory is that it's the disconnect between the cute woodland creatures and basically being stabbed in the eye by the player across from you.

#1054 2 years ago

I picked up Unfathomable but haven’t played yet. Root is the same with me, I want to like it more but something missing. We did get a game of Nemesis and Aftermath in. Really cool concept.

#1055 2 years ago

Good to know I am not alone in my feelings for ROOT.

#1056 2 years ago

We got plunder for Christmas. Haven’t played it yet but it looks like it could be fun.

#1057 2 years ago

Picked up a few new board games for us to play into the new year. We tried to specifically chose lighter games this round.

Any favorites from the pic?

20211231_155347 (resized).jpg20211231_155347 (resized).jpg
#1058 2 years ago

Haven't played any of those. Let us know what you think!

#1059 2 years ago

Really like Fort and Santorini is a good 2 player. Haven’t played the others.

#1060 2 years ago

Anyone in on the Dark Tower remake project? I have an original, but have to admit this looks interesting if they can pull it off.

#1061 2 years ago

I received AZUL as a gift this Christmas. I haven’t played it yet, but it looks very interesting. Any opinions on this one?

#1062 2 years ago

I don’t own Azul but my friend does and we occasionally play it during family game nights. Pretty game. Easy to learn. Great game for a mixed group of players.

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I don’t own Azul but my friend does and we occasionally play it during family game nights. Pretty game. Easy to learn. Great game for a mixed group of players.

Sounds perfect for family and friends who are not gamers. Thanks for your response. Looking forward to playing this weekend.

#1064 2 years ago

I’m in on Dark Tower. Should be arriving in next month I believe. I went with all the extras as well.

#1065 2 years ago

Played some Dr Eureka with the kids last night. That's a really good one for younger kids, and fun enough for us as well.

Wife and I spent the night on Sherlock Holmes

20220101_023524 (resized).jpg20220101_023524 (resized).jpg
#1066 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

I’m in on Dark Tower. Should be arriving in next month I believe. I went with all the extras as well.

Post when you get it. Curious to know your thoughts.

#1067 2 years ago

Will do. I looked at my BGG stats and set some goals this year. 225 plays and 100 unique games. It was fun keeping track this past year and the app makes it so easy.

6DEE0B97-1F3F-4D5E-BDE6-E381D2FAF740 (resized).jpeg6DEE0B97-1F3F-4D5E-BDE6-E381D2FAF740 (resized).jpeg
#1068 2 years ago

I wish anybody around here that I was friends with played board games.
I've got some good ones and no opponents except the rare day my Daughter is in the mood.

-Hans

#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Anyone in on the Dark Tower remake project? I have an original, but have to admit this looks interesting if they can pull it off.

I'm in on it as well. Also have the original. Hoping it is as good as they have shown so far

Conrad

#1070 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Picked up a few new board games for us to play into the new year. We tried to specifically chose lighter games this round.
Any favorites from the pic?
[quoted image]

How do you find tentacle town? I have a 12 and 10 year old.. not too much into board games but trying to find things that they may like to get them hooked LOL.

#1071 2 years ago

Can't stop playing Dune imperium (and solo play works nicely)
Can't wait for the Rise-of-Ix extension...

#1072 2 years ago

I can't seem to get people to play Dune. I may have to try the solo tonight.

#1073 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

How do you find tentacle town? I have a 12 and 10 year old.. not too much into board games but trying to find things that they may like to get them hooked LOL.

We have not gotten to TT yet. I will share my thoughts after we get to it.

Our family loves board games and I started playing board games with my 2 boys right around when they were 10. Let me go back and take a look at some of our favorites from that era and report back.

#1074 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I wish anybody around here that I was friends with played board games.
I've got some good ones and no opponents except the rare day my Daughter is in the mood.
-Hans

I hear you man. Considering that going out isn't the best option, you'd think that people would be more interested, but it's hard to get anyone else to play. Especially if the game is heavier than Splendor.

I have gotten one friend to play with some consistency, and we have been working through the Washington Z.C. campaign of Zombicide. Otherwise, I just finally discovered Clank! and have been having a blast with that, even with the app in solo mode. I also played the digital version of Gloomhaven (if that counts) and I'm glad I resisted the tabletop version - I think there would be a bit too much going on for me to enjoy it alone.

Over this past weekend I just did Box One, which is an escape room / puzzle type game. I thought it was really enjoyable and had some surprisingly clever elements to it. The best part...it's basically resettable, so now I can give it to someone else and try to get them hooked! I wouldn't have loved it for the price but being able to pass it on helps me feel somewhat better.

#1075 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

I can't seem to get people to play Dune. I may have to try the solo tonight.

Come to New Hampshire, I'm in!

#1076 2 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

I hear you man. Considering that going out isn't the best option, you'd think that people would be more interested, but it's hard to get anyone else to play. Especially if the game is heavier than Splendor.
I have gotten one friend to play with some consistency, and we have been working through the Washington Z.C. campaign of Zombicide. Otherwise, I just finally discovered Clank! and have been having a blast with that, even with the app in solo mode. I also played the digital version of Gloomhaven (if that counts) and I'm glad I resisted the tabletop version - I think there would be a bit too much going on for me to enjoy it alone.
Over this past weekend I just did Box One, which is an escape room / puzzle type game. I thought it was really enjoyable and had some surprisingly clever elements to it. The best part...it's basically resettable, so now I can give it to someone else and try to get them hooked! I wouldn't have loved it for the price but being able to pass it on helps me feel somewhat better.

A friend has a few Unlocked games and we play them from time to time. They are really fun. There are some seriously good solo games out there...really anything that is co-op works as solo. I really want to try Gloomhaven on Steam. My gaming group used to play the original game but I think we played it too much too quickly and were burnt out.

#1077 2 years ago

I decided to try another solo game tonight. You can play solo or up to 4. I can’t believe it’s been this long since I bought this before I finally played it. Really fun and clever mechanics with multi ball and the pops/spinners. Only played the first table but can’t wait to play the other three and I also bought the second set with four more tables.

A7BEFFD6-B757-4314-ACDC-2B092AA6E064 (resized).jpegA7BEFFD6-B757-4314-ACDC-2B092AA6E064 (resized).jpeg
#1078 2 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I received AZUL as a gift this Christmas. I haven’t played it yet, but it looks very interesting. Any opinions on this one?

Azul is a great game. Really easy to learn and great for non-game players. Quick setup. It's one of the only games I can get my wife and teenage son to play any given night. We have the expansions. Stained Glass of Sintra, but I like it a little bit more. Summer Pavilion is pretty fun for added mechanics. But the original one is still my favorite. We've had about 3 couples go out and buy it on the way home after playing it. Enjoy!

#1079 2 years ago

Just got the super skills pinball for Christmas too. We had a blast with it. It’s a really fun dice game that’s easy to pick up. Although I have to admit I need to make better use of the nudge.

#1080 2 years ago
Quoted from Conrad:

I'm in on it as well. Also have the original. Hoping it is as good as they have shown so far
Conrad

A friend of mine is in on it as well. I hope it’s as cool as the videos that I’ve watched too. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

#1081 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Table looks awesome. Where'd you get it? And how does it function as a normal kitchen/dining table? We need a new one and in wondering if I can convince my wife to spring for a gaming table Instead....
Edit: Found your post about it and the link to the company is: https://gameontable.com/valhalla/ I still want to know how it functions as a dining table as that would be the use 95% of the time in my house (sadly).

If you only use the game table sometimes then you you really should checkout Game Toppers, LLC. They go on top of your existing table and are portable.

I have to say their website does suck. For some reason they use Kickstarter as their merchant site even though the project was fully funded.

2 weeks later
#1082 2 years ago

Played a new to us game last night. Plunder: A pirates life.

Fun as a two player game and not too hard to learn. We are excited to play it with 4-6 people in the future.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1083 2 years ago

Finished setting up the game room in the new house. I've got board games and pinball covered.

20211224_215712 (resized).jpg20211224_215712 (resized).jpg20211224_215748 (resized).jpg20211224_215748 (resized).jpg
#1084 2 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Finished setting up the game room in the new house. I've got board games and pinball covered.[quoted image][quoted image]

#1085 2 years ago

Having a really hard time finding anything better then grande.......

#1086 2 years ago

I love El Grande.

#1087 2 years ago

Anyone tried "A Feast for Odin" on Boardgamegeek? I am becoming addicted...

1 week later
#1088 2 years ago

Great call by those who mentioned Dune Imperium! Just got it last night and have enjoyed it quite a bit even solo. Unlike many other solo modes, it feels like there's other players actively working against me and the app adds some extra tips to smooth things out.

jlm33 How is Ix? I got it, but figured I'd learn the base game first.

#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

Great call by those who mentioned Dune Imperium! Just got it last night and have enjoyed it quite a bit even solo. Unlike many other solo modes, it feels like there's other players actively working against me and the app adds some extra tips to smooth things out.
jlm33 How is Ix? I got it, but figured I'd learn the base game first.

I have a copy of that game but have yet to try it out. Didn't realize there was an app for it.

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from jumpyg1258:

I have a copy of that game but have yet to try it out. Didn't realize there was an app for it.

The "Dire Wolf Gameroom" app just replaces the House Haggal deck, so it streamlines the shuffling and gives little reminders. Honestly, I'm just really impressed by the game's Automa, as it feels more active than most. Last night, I was up 9 to 8 VP and one of the bots stole an alliance token and took the lead. I ended up winning, but stuff like that has happened quite regularly in my few games so far, which I've enjoyed.

#1091 2 years ago

Not sure why, but I've only ever played The 7th Continent solo. I need to start trying these automa / 1 player options or I'll never get through all my games this year. Dune sounds like a good place to start.

2 weeks later
#1092 2 years ago

I keep getting bombarded with ads for really cool looking dungeon crawler games on Kickstarter. I’m tempted to pull the trigger on one. Does anyone have any insight into any one particular hot title?

#1093 2 years ago

The long wait is over!

BF942BBF-DD1F-4A84-97E4-263C85E623E8 (resized).jpegBF942BBF-DD1F-4A84-97E4-263C85E623E8 (resized).jpeg
#1094 2 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

The long wait is over!
[quoted image]

Nice to see they are finally shipping to the US. Still waiting on mine

#1095 2 years ago

Oh nice. Hoping to get mine shortly.

#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

The long wait is over!
[quoted image]

ugh....I guess this means I'll have to wait at least another month for Canada.

#1097 2 years ago

Regretting not buying Darktower as I'm still waiting on Oathsworn and Freedom Five. Both are at least a year overdue.

Although soon I will own all the games as I recently bought a 7,500 sf building to store them in...

Opening in spring!Opening in spring!

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Regretting not buying Darktower as I'm still waiting on Oathsworn and Freedom Five. Both are at least a year overdue.
Although soon I will own all the games as I recently bought a 7,500 sf building to store them in...
[quoted image]

Wow, very cool! Good luck!

3 weeks later
#1099 2 years ago

Dark tower was worth the wait and worth the price of upgrades. The play mat is a perfect size increase if you’re using the figures. So fun to watch what the tower has in store each time. Gotta love those 4 skull dumps in one region.

#1100 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Dark tower was worth the wait and worth the price of upgrades. The play mat is a perfect size increase if you’re using the figures. So fun to watch what the tower has in store each time. Gotta love those 4 skull dumps in one region.

Just played a game last night at a friends house. Question....Are you cool with the tower not being the center of the universe? It’s basically makes some sounds and disperses skulls along with the glyphs. Overall the game was very enjoyable and the tower looks amazing physically. The app does all the housekeeping though. Maybe I’m nitpicking

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/22?hl=conrad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.