800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 30.
#1001 3 years ago

I’ve been knocking some out from the wall of shame, currently at 41. Played AuZtralia last night which was a pretty good one.

#1002 3 years ago

Not my work, but sharing something I saw on BGG - cool intersection of pinball and board games. I'm so impressed by some people's ingenuity and handiwork when I see projects like this..

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2633059/pandemic-pinball-machine?mc_cid=d7a4668391&mc_eid=33ae585e6b

1 month later
#1003 2 years ago

If you like Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth(or any app based games), 7th Continent(exploration, story games), and Chronicles of Crime (same then publisher that loves QR codes) you might want to check out Destinies.

Kickstarter finally arrived, played through the first scenario and much fun was had. It's only a 1-3 player game and that's a bit odd, but the story was engaging and it was nice balance of digital and cardboard. Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth is similar, but I think Destinies is a better game.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

If you like Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth(or any app based games), 7th Continent(exploration, story games), and Chronicles of Crime (same then publisher that loves QR codes) you might want to check out Destinies.
Kickstarter finally arrived, played through the first scenario and much fun was had. It's only a 1-3 player game and that's a bit odd, but the story was engaging and it was nice balance of digital and cardboard. Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth is similar, but I think Destinies is a better game.

Got a link? I searched Kickstarter but could not find "Destinies".

#1005 2 years ago
#1006 2 years ago

Have you tried this out solo? I saw the Watch It Played on YouTube but havent found a ton of reviews. The idea of a hidden competing destiny for each player sounds intriguing, the app integration looks pretty solid, and I like the idea of the evolving skills grid but Id probably end having to do a fair bit of solo time on this one.

#1007 2 years ago

Dice Tower just did a review and I agree with them. I would play the solo to flesh it out after I had done the scenario with a group. (It's only 1-3 players)

The race to complete your destiny adds a dynamic element to the game. While it's a competitive game, it's not openly combative.

#1008 2 years ago

I just grabbed Jaws and Back to the Future from Target for 15/each. Looks like those are pretty good deals. I doubt I'll hang on to them personally, but plan to give them as gifts at some point.

#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Dune Imperium is also good.

I am now a big fan of Dune Imperium. Excellent solo mode, works well with 2 players and shines with 3.
(Playable with 4p but never tried)

3 weeks later
#1010 2 years ago

Finally had my gaming group back together last weekend (stupid COVID) and broke out Dune Imperium for the first time. It was also the first game played on my new gaming table. Happier with the table than the game. Dune needs at least one more play to see if it grabs me.

6D4A380A-7CBA-4445-93A9-7676F9376D14 (resized).jpeg6D4A380A-7CBA-4445-93A9-7676F9376D14 (resized).jpeg053F373D-1B71-44D4-9682-AB2A9A52FD2B (resized).jpeg053F373D-1B71-44D4-9682-AB2A9A52FD2B (resized).jpeg

#1011 2 years ago

Dune Imperium was pretty fun for me, but the Dune games in general seem to bring out some anger with backstabbing and tricky secret last minute moves. This is much friendlier than the classic one, but still a little stink eye between players. This had me gravitating back to Waterdeep or even Arnak for better game nights, but I would play it in an instant if anybody wanted to. That is an awesome table by the way.

#1012 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

...That is an awesome table by the way.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It was between the table and Heist and during the 5-month build time on table, I second guessed my decision on occasion. Once it arrived, I have been more than pleased. ziz and other advice in this topic really did help influence the decision. That and GameOn Tables allowing me to mix their mission style Valhalla base with the Omni style top (first time they did that combo) was the clincher.

1 month later
#1013 2 years ago

Did everyone else just stop playing games?

Recently played Lost Ruins of Arnak and like it more than Dune Imperium so far.

Cracked open Jaws of the Lion last night. Should be interesting to play Gloomhaven on training wheels after already finishing regular Gloomhaven.

#1014 2 years ago

Finally starting to get back to gaming regularly with friends (every week or every two weeks) We have been playing 7th Continent. Great game...lots to uncover!

#1015 2 years ago

Hey! We've just bought a Fish Tales, but we also have a large collection of board games.

I've been enjoying the Fish Tales because, due to the pandemic, it's been hard for my husband and I to find time to game together. We have young kids and don't have the grandparental help that we had pre-pandemic.

My older boy, aged four, is just getting into board gaming. He likes Subbuteo, Zingo and some of the Haba kids games. He also absolutely loves the Fish Tales - so much so that he managed to knock out a tooth on the casting trigger while jumping up and down with excitement.

We're in the UK so don't have much space, but are hoping to build a games room someday with space for some games shelving and a couple of pinball machines.

We've been recently playing Unlock: Star Wars, Fantasy Realms, Dwellings of Eldervale and Paleo.

#1016 2 years ago

I am a big fan of Dune Imperium... can't wait for the movie and the extension that has just been announced.
Solo mode is very good, and you can adjust difficulty. The game shines with 3 players though. Lots of interactions between players (conflict, securing alliances, blocking desirable spots). Note however, that even if having long-term strategic plans may be helpful, you constantly have to adjust: tactics play an important role.

#1017 2 years ago

Last game I played was the new Terraforming Mars: Ares Expedition. Basically they stripped down the game to the engine building, and you can play it in just over an hour.

#1018 2 years ago

Mostly been playing Eldervale and Arnak, both unbelievably good games. Very polished, nice artwork, good bits. Arnak is that quick 1 hour medium weight game and Eldervale a bit over 2 hours and more complex. I have a shelf of close to 50 unplayed games and we've been knocking them out at least once per week, sometimes 2. Excited for the Arnak, Dune Imperium, and Tapestry expansions that should hit this year.

Some new titles we really liked were Last Aurora (Mad Max convoy building race game), Merchant's Cove, and Victorian Masterminds. Sent about 20 games to the consignment shelf as well.

Looking to finish my basement off and squeezing in the 48x48 board game table for some 7th Continent and Kingdom Death Monster so I don't have to set up and tear down very often.

Next game to hit is Ankh and should be here in the next week or two.

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It was between the table and Heist and during the 5-month build time on table, I second guessed my decision on occasion. Once it arrived, I have been more than pleased. ziz and other advice in this topic really did help influence the decision. That and GameOn Tables allowing me to mix their mission style Valhalla base with the Omni style top (first time they did that combo) was the clincher.

I’m happy I was able to help, the table looks amazing!

I received my matching storage cabinet and I love it, beautiful piece. I realized I was in need of one more small cabinet to put a lamp on, so I sent Jack a design I found online and he has his people working on it for me right now. That will complete the entire set, will post some more pics when that arrives.

4EE98F93-D332-49F9-A38C-BD5608C8E3F0 (resized).jpeg4EE98F93-D332-49F9-A38C-BD5608C8E3F0 (resized).jpeg7716B628-A011-4161-AB3E-F2DEFE26C953 (resized).jpeg7716B628-A011-4161-AB3E-F2DEFE26C953 (resized).jpeg882262F9-298B-4748-A346-622734EFA6C1 (resized).jpeg882262F9-298B-4748-A346-622734EFA6C1 (resized).jpeg
#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I am a big fan of Dune Imperium... can't wait for the movie and the extension that has just been announced.
Solo mode is very good, and you can adjust difficulty. The game shines with 3 players though. Lots of interactions between players (conflict, securing alliances, blocking desirable spots). Note however, that even if having long-term strategic plans may be helpful, you constantly have to adjust: tactics play an important role.

That Dune game is awesome. I believe the upgrade with the figures is coming in August.

We’ve been spending free time on Dream Crush lately, which is a throwback to those old dating board games. It’s hilariously amazing.

#1021 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Looking to finish my basement off and squeezing in the 48x48 board game table for some 7th Continent and Kingdom Death Monster so I don't have to set up and tear down very often.

Been playing Kingdom Death Monster on Tabletop Simulator recently. I haven't yet talked myself into buying the game because I don't want to have to assemble and paint everything (or pay even more to have someone do it), but oh man is that game good. Also, I'd likely have to play it solo and it seems like a ton to manage if you're solo playing live... Actually, I can't believe I missed out on TTS throughout most of the pandemic. I'd rather play board games in person, of course, but jumping on and having people to play all kinds of games whenever you want is pretty awesome.

In person, though, a friend and I are playing through the Washington Z.C. campaign for Zombicide 2e. It's pretty fun, the different objective cards and the night rules add a lot to the game. I actually did get those minis painted, and it looks pretty good on the table.

#1022 2 years ago

Lame33 How did Destinies hold up after playing for awhile?

#1023 2 years ago

We actually played the first scenario of Destinies and really liked it. Will return and finish but may not seek expansions.

#1024 2 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:Lame33 How did Destinies hold up after playing for awhile?

We played through the main quests of the based game and enjoyed it. Not much replayability unless you are a completionist. The expansion I got with the kickstarter won't have the finished software until Q3 and so that was a disappointment.

Base game is a play it 5 or 6 times and then you wait for expansions or sell it off.

The tiny figures became an annoyance. At times you've got seven too small to distinguish grey bits on the board and not sure which one was which.

However, that was the worst thing and it was a fun game that I thought was worth it.

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

We played through the main quests of the based game and enjoyed it. Not much replayability unless you are a completionist. The expansion I got with the kickstarter won't have the finished software until Q3 and so that was a disappointment.
Base game is a play it 5 or 6 times and then you wait for expansions or sell it off.
The tiny figures became an annoyance. At times you've got seven too small to distinguish grey bits on the board and not sure which one was which.
However, that was the worst thing and it was a fun game that I thought was worth it.

Cool thanks for the input! I halfheartedly tried to pick it up when it first came out but couldnt get anywhere local. I was going to hold out for the new Descent, but after seeing some gameplay I think Ill give Destinies a shot.

#1026 2 years ago

Recently played Lost Ruins of Arnak and like it more than Dune Imperium so far.
Cracked open Jaws of the Lion last night. Should be interesting to play Gloomhaven on training wheels after already finishing regular Gloomhaven.

Thanks for the info on Jaws of the Lion. My wife and I play talisman and love it but we have been looking for an quicker/easier fantasy board game. I purchased Zombicide Black Plague and my wife and I were totally put off by the complexities of it. I asked some fb groups for recommendations and they recommended Descent as it has an app to assist. I purchased it but the app is a scenario app not a helper app. It just says things like “set up board” and the rules are way to complex for us. But Jaws of the Lion might be good for us

#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Thanks for the info on Jaws of the Lion. My wife and I play talisman and love it but we have been looking for an quicker/easier fantasy board game. I purchased Zombicide Black Plague and my wife and I were totally put off by the complexities of it. I asked some fb groups for recommendations and they recommended Descent as it has an app to assist. I purchased it but the app is a scenario app not a helper app. It just says things like “set up board” and the rules are way to complex for us. But Jaws of the Lion might be good for us

#1028 2 years ago

I think jaws of the lion is awesome. My wife thinks it's just OK. This presents a problem for me

#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

By the games you’re mentioning here, I think Mansions of Madness may be a good bet for you and your wife. The new version runs with an assistant app that does an amazing job of getting you through the game, however, it’s also a requirement to have the app to play. While Jaws of the Lion is good and has a very well done guided learn, Mansions’ app made this game a breeze to understand and play for my wife and I, as well as for my 13yo (at the time) who’s not too into board gaming.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

By the games you’re mentioning here, I think Mansions of Madness may be a good bet for you and your wife. The new version runs with an assistant app that does an amazing job of getting you through the game, however, it’s also a requirement to have the app to play. While Jaws of the Lion is good and has a very well done guided learn, Mansions’ app made this game a breeze to understand and play for my wife and I, as well as for my 13yo (at the time) who’s not too into board gaming.

Wife and I LOVE that game.

#1031 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

My wife and I play talisman and love it but we have been looking for an quicker/easier fantasy board game

I guess you can call it a fantasy game so take a look at Mystic Vale. My girlfriend and I play it all the time. She loves it and I wouldn’t consider her to be a hardcore gamer. It’s a deck builder with a fresh twist. I really encourage you to take a look at it.

1 month later
#1032 2 years ago

Looks like a lot of my Kickstarters are going to miss this year and probably arrive in March. Blessing in disguise I think as I start to dig into my shelf of shame. Of course the lack of the new ones arriving had me digging through the rankings and picking up a couple that I missed. Mara Caibo is one that I glossed over before but really like it now. Also looking at the updated release of Champions of Midgard. Got room now for my game table so going to set up some single player games on that over the winter.

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Looks like a lot of my Kickstarters are going to miss this year and probably arrive in March. Blessing in disguise I think as I start to dig into my shelf of shame. Of course the lack of the new ones arriving had me digging through the rankings and picking up a couple that I missed. Mara Caibo is one that I glossed over before but really like it now. Also looking at the updated release of Champions of Midgard. Got room now for my game table so going to set up some single player games on that over the winter.

Don't miss Maracaibo Uprising coming in the next few weeks directly from capstone games!

#1034 2 years ago

If you are into dungeon crawls, check out this one on Kickstarter right now. It’s an awesome game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/357343358/dungeon-crusade-book-i-genesis-of-evil-0

2 months later
#1035 2 years ago

Ton of Kickstarters delayed til next year and delays hitting normal releases. I was able to snag 2 expansions though, 1 via pre-order, and the other via eBay/PAX for twice the price. Both were well worth it!

Tapestry - Arts and Architecture really makes one of our groups favorite games even better. Adding the 5th track for the Arts really fits in well and a lot of good, and badly needed, technology cards. My favorite was Jet Fuel, which as a technology lets you grab a space tile for circle benefit, then place it as a square benefit. Used with the Assembly line, it let me choose from a couple tiles to place. Many other upgrades and the arts/masterpieces are very cool.

Lost Ruins of Arnak - Expedition leaders was one I was not so sure about. I thought the Arnak experience was complete for us at just around an hour playtime for 4. Boy was I wrong. The 6 new leaders are really cool and we'll never play without them now. Also the new sites and guardians were very well done. We also really liked the 2 new temple tracks and the new spins on them. Only added 5-10 minutes for our group of 3 so didn't add a lot of time for strategy or AP.

Those are my top played games this year at 19 and 26 respectively. Eldervale came in at 14 with a few weekends left in the year.

Anybody else have anything new to share?

#1036 2 years ago

We don't keep track of plays, but Wingspan has definitely been our most played game this year. I'm thinking about grabbing at least one of the expansions, but I normally avoid those since I really prefer to spend that money on entirely new games. But it's been a staple, so I think it might warrant an exception.

Otherwise new games for us have been pretty light lately. Learning new rules is a barrier for us, especially after a long work week.

I have been playing Root via the app with some friends. That's been interesting. Lots of stuff to learn, so I'm thankful for the guidance and limitation that the app offers.

#1037 2 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

The Hamburg/Amsterdam (Stefan Feld) Kickstarter is the only one I have going right now… and that feels like a cluster F. Had wanted to get the original Bruges/Macao games for years but never found them so was hoping Queen games would knock this out of the park. Will never do another kickstarter from them again.

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

We don't keep track of plays

Check out the Board Game Stats app. It's really incredible. I've got it installed on my iPhone & iPad.

Tracks all your game plays, wins/losses, dates, game lengths, your entire collection, locations, player stats, cloud syncing across devices, etc etc. It's pretty insane. And it snycs easily with your account on BGG.

If you try it, you'll never play a board game without it ever again. Worth every penny.

#1039 2 years ago

Really looking forward to Return to Dark Tower. Just got another Email today titled, “slow and steady,” but man, it’s getting close!

My girls and I just got done playing a game of Jumanji deluxe. It’s actually a lot of fun for anyone with young kids; lots of imaginative play.

#1040 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Check out the Board Game Stats app. It's really incredible. I've got it installed on my iPhone & iPad.
Tracks all your game plays, wins/losses, dates, game lengths, your entire collection, locations, player stats, cloud syncing across devices, etc etc. It's pretty insane. And it snycs easily with your account on BGG.
If you try it, you'll never play a board game without it ever again. Worth every penny.

That’s what I’ve been using and everybody was making fun of me for the first part of the year until I started talking about wins and losses and overall stats now they wait for me to enter it in every time.

#1041 2 years ago

I am waiting for my Kickstarter version of Merchants of the Dark Road. Game looks incredible with all the deluxified goodness. Hopefully gets here in before the end of the year.

#1042 2 years ago

Just got the Nightfall expansion for Parks. Family loves Parks so it was a no brainer. Easily the most played game we have.

#1043 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Finally had my gaming group back together last weekend (stupid COVID) and broke out Dune Imperium for the first time. It was also the first game played on my new gaming table. Happier with the table than the game. Dune needs at least one more play to see if it grabs me.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your table is beautiful. We got a Game Topper 2 or 3 years ago and love having a game table.

My wife and another couple finally finished Pandemic Legacy after skipping almost year because of an actual Pandemic. I couldn't wait to finish it because it got boring to me.

Now we are three games in on Time Stories and absolutely love it.

#1044 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Your table is beautiful. We got a Game Topper 2 or 3 years ago and love having a game table.

Thanks. I'm really happy with it.

Finally got Nemesis to the table and I found that to be an unreservedly amazing game. If you like Dead of Winter or the movie Alien, it's a must play.

Now I just need to get Vagrantsong off of my shelf of shame.

#1045 2 years ago

Once you get past one of the worst laid out rule books in boardgames, nemesis is really good. I got aftermath but have not been able to play yet, The game you play after the game.

#1046 2 years ago

I have mixed, but mostly positive opinions about the Nemesis rulebook. (like you, other people at the table were less impressed) I saw what they were trying to do with the divided sections and at least they put page numbers if you needed to know about how a specific thing applied to a different section. I liked it more than needed two long books like Fantasy Flight.

I got both expansions from the kickstarter, but both are still in shrink.

The worst rulebook I've encountered was the 1.0 version for Kingdom Rush.

#1047 2 years ago

I definitely like the rulebook it looks nice and it really explains things well, it’s just things aren’t where you would think they would be.

I only got Aftermath and passed on the different alien sets. I am waiting for the new lock down though as I got that on kick starter as well just waiting for the second wave.

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Table looks awesome. Where'd you get it? And how does it function as a normal kitchen/dining table? We need a new one and in wondering if I can convince my wife to spring for a gaming table Instead....

Edit: Found your post about it and the link to the company is: https://gameontable.com/valhalla/ I still want to know how it functions as a dining table as that would be the use 95% of the time in my house (sadly).

#1049 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I still want to know how it functions as a dining table as that would be the use 95% of the time in my house (sadly).

For my table there are four boards with felt on the bottom that sit on top and slide into place to make it look like just another fancy dining room table. Yet hidden underneath can be stuff that's better than food.

Some systems are better than others and have interlocking pieces that would not get wet if you spilled a glass of milk. Mine is not like that and any liquid would pour right through and ruin any games underneath. Since we eat most meals at the kitchen table and I don't have tiny tots around, something more was not a need.

Here's a nice list https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/229564/board-game-table-manufacturers

#1050 2 years ago

Any cool games under the tree this year?

Since I will end up technically owning all the games when my FLGS opens in 2022, we only had the Search for Planet X and King's Dilemma as cardboard treats for Christmas.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/21?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.