800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 30.
#951 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

For lighter engine-builders: Splendor and Century:Spice Road. For a little heavier: Terraforming Mars and Keyflower.

Thanks! I own Splendor, I just haven't been a big fan. It doesn't help that my wife has been irritatingly good at it, and there's a decent amount of conflict in that one. Terraforming Mars is one that I've been really close to grabbing multiple times. It seems a little lengthy to setup and maybe sort of tough to learn, but I think it's probably worth it. I've never heard of Keyflower, I'll look into that one.

#952 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Terraforming Mars

Terraforming Mars is as good as it’s reputation. I think it’s medium weight. It’s not that bad to set up and learn, especially with the help of YouTube these days. I say go for it. It’s a good solo game as well.

#953 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Terraforming Mars is as good as it’s reputation. I think it’s medium weight. It’s not that bad to set up and learn, especially with the help of YouTube these days. I say go for it. It’s a good solo game as well.

I agree with this. Setup is not bad for TM. One other thing that I do like about Wingspan that TM shares is the amount of in-game variability due to the sheer number of cards and how different they are. This makes one game to the next very different experiences and removes samey-ness.

I do have a couple criticisms of TM: the quality of the box and cards don’t match the price, it really needs overlays for the player boards (to prevent cubes from sliding around), and the text on some of the cards is really small (some people whose eyesight isn’t great have trouble with it.)

#954 3 years ago

Terraforming Mars is one of the few games I actually prefer to play the digital version and that's almost solely because the bad art and mediocre physical components. The gameplay is fantastic and I love the theme, but the card art is so distractingly awful and inconsistent in the physical game that the whole game is somewhat diminished. The digital version uses much of the same art, but the cool looking planet, blurring filters, and card hiding interface lessens the impact. (Maybe its appeal has also increased because I can play it on a random Tuesday night with friends during this pandemic with no setup or weird camera rigs)

I'm not a game art snob in most instances but TM just pushes all the wrong art buttons for me.

BTW: probably going to go with the gaming table. (maybe I can swing plan B and do both?!?)

4 weeks later
#955 3 years ago

Anyone playing any good games this year so far?

My wife got Renature and it did not grab me at all after one play.

#956 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Anyone playing any good games this year so far?
My wife got Renature and it did not grab me at all after one play.

Dice throne

#957 3 years ago

I started logging all of my games this year, which takes a little bit of maintenance to start but is really interesting. So far Lost Ruins of Arnak is our lead game at 6 plays, followed by Lords of Vegas. I got the KS upgrades and brought it back to the table after a few years and we are loving it with a group of 6. Lockup, A Roll Player tale is a good worker placement in that universe and is quite fun. Also got a cheap Crokinole board that the family loves.

#958 3 years ago

We have been loving Aquatica and Honey Buzz. Dune Imperium is also good.

#959 3 years ago

Does anyone have any interest in my X-Wing minis collection? I have a lot... and I don't get nearly enough play out of it. I can put together a list if anyone is seriously interested. It's all 1.0 stuff.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#960 3 years ago

I just kind of got back into tabletop gaming late last year. Nothing super new yet but picked up and have been LOVING Robinson Crusoe. Makes a difference with the upgraded tokens and food that looks like food.

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

I just kind of got back into tabletop gaming late last year. Nothing super new yet but picked up and have been LOVING Robinson Crusoe. Makes a difference with the upgraded tokens and food that looks like food.

Are you playing it solo?

#962 3 years ago

That game is tough. I need to get it back out.

#963 3 years ago

If anyone wants an unopened Tainted Grail with all the stretch goals and monsters lemme know.

#964 3 years ago

I've had Robinson Crusoe on my list for a while as a solo game. I like the idea of it, but I'm afraid it might suffer the same fate as Mage Knight... which is for sale if anyone is interested.

#965 3 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

If anyone wants an unopened Tainted Grail with all the stretch goals and monsters lemme know.

I am interested. How much are you asking?

#966 3 years ago

Are you playing it solo?

Playing mostly solo, usually using 2 characters / Friday. I felt the true solo was a bit too easy - having to balance the morale makes the game much more challenging. I've also really enjoyed using Melodice for some thematic background music.

I have played a few times with friends also and found it really enjoyable. As they were new to the game I focused on managing the rules and telling the story, then just letting them make all the decisions and enjoy the story. We had a really good time each time, even the time we all died horrifically at the same time due to violent wind gusts during a 5 cloud storm....Haha!!!

#967 3 years ago

I've had Robinson Crusoe on my list for a while as a solo game. I like the idea of it, but I'm afraid it might suffer the same fate as Mage Knight... which is for sale if anyone is interested.

How is Mage Knight? (Probably a silly question to ask since you're selling it....)

I was looking at that as a possible solo game, but the idea of a solo board game campaign, managing all components, and the length of the games seems a bit daunting. What do you not like about it?

#968 3 years ago

So far the only game I've been able to play and enjoy solo is Nemo's War. That is specifically designed as a solo game and not one of the multiplayer games that can be played solo or has a solo mode. Robinson Crusoe was one that came close, but always just felt I should be playing with others. 7th continent, Tainted Grail, Mage Knight, and many other expensive ones I've invested in over the past few years I just can't seem to play alone even though they have solo options. Now granted I have the luxury of family right down the street and regular game nights on Friday and Saturday, but I've got to find a way to break into some of these other gems on my own.

#969 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

How is Mage Knight? (Probably a silly question to ask since you're selling it....)
I was looking at that as a possible solo game, but the idea of a solo board game campaign, managing all components, and the length of the games seems a bit daunting. What do you not like about it?

I mean it seems pretty cool, but all the reasons you stated... the setup, management, etc have all kept me away. Really learning the game is an obstacle for me when its that in depth and it's up to me alone to absorb and remember everything. It just seemed daunting and less than fun after a full week of work.

Maybe that would be true for all solo games, but theres still a draw of just listening to some music and taking my time on something strategic that seems like a great way to spend a night.

#970 3 years ago

Maybe that would be true for all solo games, but theres still a draw of just listening to some music and taking my time on something strategic that seems like a great way to spend a night.

I will agree on Nemo's War for great solo game play, along with a good bottle of whiskey on the table. I've played it a coupe times & it's really enjoyable. Plus there are different goals to focus on, so it doesn't play the same way twice. Plus it's an outstanding classic theme. I've also played Escape the Dark Castle multiple times & found it thematically pleasing & a challenging game to complete.

Like most of us, I had trouble just getting friends to the table last year due to COVID. But I did purchase or kickstart a host of games with the intention of playing more solo games in 2021. A few of these strictly solo games have started to arrive. I haven't played these yet, but I've heard good things....

1) APEX Theropod Deck Building Game (Collected Edition): Pick & evolve your species of dinosaur from hatchling to vicious apex predator.
2) Hostage Negotiator (Collected Edition): Simulate a 10 year career as a police negotiator, over various unique hostage situations.
3) Hunters - U-Boats at War 1939-43: Solitaire tactical sub sim, command your crew, sink Allied ships, increase your rank, and survive the war.
4) Lux Aeterna: 15 minute Real time fast solo gameplay, evaluate & repair your damaged spaceship before drifting into a deadly black hole.

They say Nemesis & Terraforming Mars play well solo, but I haven't attempted that yet. I just find that games that are specifically designed for solo play are usually a much better choice.

I've only begun to discover COIN (Counter Insurgency) games from GMT, which look fascinating to me. The complex rules are just intimidating for a single player to absorb, so I need to devote some serious rulebook reading time before tackling a game like Ghandi. That said, the new solo play bot card system comes right with the game, and looks like a really well designed mechanic.

Now if only GMT would finally release Mr President. I've been waiting 4 years for that one.

And of course, what is most likely is that all these games will collect dust on the shelf because I'm too busy restoring pinballs in the garage. Too llittle spare time to play them. This is the year though! I just need to make the time.

#971 3 years ago

When I was playing Nemo it was like that. Just kicking back and listening to the TV or even chatting with people playing pool or pinball. Every now and then somebody would look at what you're doing and talk about it. It was exactly like putting a puzzle together.

#972 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

When I was playing Nemo it was like that. Just kicking back and listening to the TV or even chatting with people playing pool or pinball. Every now and then somebody would look at what you're doing and talk about it. It was exactly like putting a puzzle together.

Funny, that's exactly how I explained it to my girl when she saw me playing solo Crusoe - like trying to unlock puzzle (and not die from starvation). I'll have to check out Nemo's War and some of those others mentioned too. Fortunately I've started to get a small group willing to start getting back together safely, as I'm sure we'd all prefer to do. But I have found that I enjoy these solo runs on a random weeknight instead of just mindlessly looking at the TV. Oh yeah, I guess I could always play pinball too...

Deaconblooze Definitely check out RC. Once you get the rhythm of it down it's not terrible to play as every rule makes sense thematically. It is a HARD game to win though, as mentioned. I guess surviving on a cursed island should be.

#973 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

Deaconblooze Definitely check out RC. Once you get the rhythm of it down it's not terrible to play as every rule makes sense thematically. It is a HARD game to win though, as mentioned. I guess surviving on a cursed island should be.

Which RC is the one to buy? I looked at Amazon and see a bunch to choose from.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01HDYFCJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_B6WMH7593JE2EJ8BJ3H9

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084KCHG1T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_FNSE3JWKNR440SX0S33K

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079TK64M1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ZJRNBBJA89WYVYAYFRJ1

#974 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Which RC is the one to buy? I looked at Amazon and see a bunch to choose from.
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »

--Top link with the light blue box and the picture of the beach is the base game. I played like 3 games and I was all in.
--Mystery tales is an expansion with like 8 new scenarios and a horror mode. 5 of them are a campaign I guess - I have it but haven't opened it yet.
--The Treasure Chest is a bunch of extra scenarios, 2 new playable characters, a few new helpers and cards of all types to mix up the game. I bought that too and have interspersed some of the components into the game. Most of the little $4 upgrades you see on different sites are in the treasure chest.

Lastly, I spent a little extra at Top Shelf Gamer and BGG to get the upgraded food and tokens.
https://www.topshelfgamer.com/collections/robinson-crusoe-adventure-on-the-cursed-island
https://boardgamegeekstore.com/search?q=Robinson+Crusoe

1 week later
#975 3 years ago

Played Dwellings of Eldervale over the weekend. A new fantasy themed worker placement game. Fun game, but I don't know about availability in retail. One of those kickstarters with limited stock sold by the publisher directly. If they do do a reprint, I'd recommend it, but probably not worth the current resale prices.

#976 3 years ago

I actually looked at Eldervale and decided I wasn't going to buy it. Well by the time the extra orders became available I talked myself into the Standard version and now I'm regretting not getting the next step up. The game is a blast to play and I was a bit worried about the combat decisions but it really didn't stand out as a negative. So may options with which elements you play with and building your tableau. We really like it. Really nice storage solution that helps setting up immensely. We also finally played Star Trek Ascendancy after 2 years on the shelf. That was a fun one as well but you need a big table. Space is big and all!

#977 3 years ago

I found a board game doc on Prime called "Gamemaster" about game designers. Just starting it now.

#978 3 years ago

I'm a fan of this video game, and the developer (just 1 guy) is as good as it gets. I'll be grabbing a copy of this

https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-the-board-game-available-now/

#979 3 years ago

I play very few and specific games anymore. I did an all-in Bloodborne pledge and recently got Overboss. Probably gonna sell them both because I pretty much play Fallout, Suburbia, Ticket to Ride, and Crokinole. I've been really downsizing my collection lately and it feels good.

But a Stardew game sounds great since I've been playing the SHIT out of the game this past month!

#980 3 years ago

I'm a fan of this video game, and the developer (just 1 guy) is as good as it gets. I'll be grabbing a copy of this

I just found this too, and had to order it as a surprise for my wife who played the heck out of the video game. It's a bit pricey to take a chance on, but looks really good. I'm surprised how deep/complex it looks. There are even warnings on their website that if you are used to quick, simple games, this might not be for you. Looks like a pretty amazing translation of the video game. I hope for the price the original developer gets a nice kickback. Dude deserves it.

#981 3 years ago

I never played the video game, but this looks pretty cool. Thanks for mentioning it!

#982 3 years ago

I found a board game doc on Prime called "Gamemaster" about game designers. Just starting it now.

Was it worth watching?

#983 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Was it worth watching?

I didn't get a chance to finish it out yet. So far I would say it's worth the time especially since it's a topic of interest.

2 weeks later
#984 3 years ago

New game! Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it.

20210309_205224 (resized).jpg20210309_205224 (resized).jpg
#985 3 years ago

Started collecting about a year ago. Favorite is Lords of Waterdeep.

261A9CCA-69C0-4384-8188-127C8EEF1832 (resized).jpeg261A9CCA-69C0-4384-8188-127C8EEF1832 (resized).jpeg
#986 3 years ago

[quoted image]

let me know how it is.

#987 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Nice! Be careful punching it...some tiles are not cut well at all. That's about as far as I have gotten towards playing it, LOL.

#988 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Nice! Be careful punching it...some tiles are not cut well at all. That's about as far as I have gotten towards playing it, LOL.

Good to know! Nothing annoys me more than lifting that art layer due to my own impatience.

My wife is in her busy season and not all that enthralled with SDV in the first place, so my first play on this might have to be solo. My daughter loves SDV but she's just 6. She can manage in wingspan and forbidden Island but I dont know if I have the personal patience to both learn this myself and help her along at the same time.

Maybe I'll take friday off for March Madness and give this a simultaneous playthrough..

#989 3 years ago

My wife and I got really heavy into this hobby two years ago. We got a game topper and bunch of games. Since this time I still like going back to maybe a few games because I don't have to review the rules. We play a lot Quest for Eldordo, Ticket to Ride, National Parks, Pandemic, Catan, 7 Wonders, and Monopoly. I can't imagine bringing in new games evertime something comes out and trying to learn the rules. I envy you that do that.

I have games unopened I'm just not motivated to play and learn. Also, I'm in a Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion slump and don't want to bother with it. Maybe I should take this to the bitch thread.

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I have games unopened I'm just not motivated to play and learn.

It was the same for me. At some point I was just buying everything that BGG had in their top 100 or new from a designer I liked (and that list kept growing). Eventually I had the same realization you mentioned and almost totally shut down my buying.

#991 3 years ago

Same here on the buying. I shot to the top of the discount % at my FLGS. I'm getting better now at identifying games that are "just like" another so I don't buy it. If the theme is better, or they are better than the other similar game(s) I own I sell the old ones instead. My FOMO was getting the best of me for a year or two, but now if I never buy another game, I'll have plenty to play still.
That being said, Eldervale sure surprised us how fun it is and now I'm pursuing the Deluxe version. The last time I did that was with Dinosaur Island which ironically we got back to the table this past weekend. That one is a great game as well.

#992 3 years ago

Glad it's not just me with the rash of buying! I've ended up here after just a couple months, with a few not even pictured. Even though we're playing once a week I feel like we're rushing through some of them. But when I legit watched 15+ hours of KDM videos over the last few days and seriously considered dropping on a $400 board game that no one I know would play with me it was time for a reality check!

At the risk of tempting you guys with one, though, we have had a blast with Camel Up. It's very light and completely silly (betting on camels racing around a pyramid) but man have we had some fun with it, especially with a bit bigger group. Its also not that expensive, which helps. Played again last night with 7, kids and adults, and just about everyone was cheering and laughing the whole time. Named every camel and even have been keeping stats on how many races the camels have won. We've definitely had some good times with it - not even too much liquor required.

20210313_123131_resized_1 (resized).jpg20210313_123131_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#993 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

Glad it's not just me with the rash of buying! I've ended up here after just a couple months, with a few not even pictured. Even though we're playing once a week I feel like we're rushing through some of them. But when I legit watched 15+ hours of KDM videos over the last few days and seriously considered dropping on a $400 board game that no one I know would play with me it was time for a reality check!
At the risk of tempting you guys with one, though, we have had a blast with Camel Up. It's very light and completely silly (betting on camels racing around a pyramid) but man have we had some fun with it, especially with a bit bigger group. Its also not that expensive, which helps. Played again last night with 7, kids and adults, and just about everyone was cheering and laughing the whole time. Named every camel and even have been keeping stats on how many races the camels have won. We've definitely had some good times with it - not even too much liquor required.
[quoted image]

Based upon your suggestion, we bought Camel Up. We had a BLAST! So much fun. Just the type of game sometimes you crave - light, fun, fast with a little bit of luck thrown in.

Thanks!

#994 3 years ago

My new creation GoT-Ludo.

SAM_0052 (resized).JPGSAM_0052 (resized).JPG
#995 3 years ago

What's everyone's favorite dexterity game? I really like Flick em Up.

Crokinole gets great reviews, but it doesn't appeal to me.

What else is good out there?

#996 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Based upon your suggestion, we bought Camel Up. We had a BLAST! So much fun. Just the type of game sometimes you crave - light, fun, fast with a little bit of luck thrown in.
Thanks!

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed!

Kevin D.

#997 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

What's everyone's favorite dexterity game?

tipit (resized).jpgtipit (resized).jpg
#998 3 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
3 weeks later
#999 3 years ago

Looking forward to giving this a play today (latest puzzly filler from Vital Lacerda that I just got via Kickstarter)

67AFD78A-B836-4D05-8E06-4C7DA353D40F (resized).jpeg67AFD78A-B836-4D05-8E06-4C7DA353D40F (resized).jpeg
#1000 3 years ago

I managed to get a vaxx appointment this week... am really hoping to get some game nights with friends to start removing my ‘wall of shame’ games (never been played / some still wrapped... currently 44 games ).

C37ED5EB-648F-40AA-9DE8-E3AA78F75D52 (resized).jpegC37ED5EB-648F-40AA-9DE8-E3AA78F75D52 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/20?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.