800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg
There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 30.
#851 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

At last! I was worried no one else had played anything of his on here.
I also backed Kanban EV. I have all of his games, but still haven’t got On Mars, Escape Plan, or CO2 to the table. For me Lisboa > Vinhos > Gallerist so far.
Not familiar with Mindclash/Trickerion... will have to look into them.

I don’t have all his games, missing CO2 and escape plan. Although I have played escape plan here is my current order. Lisboa>The Gallerist>On Mars>Vinhos>Escape Plan. I think Kanban will be up in the top 3 at the end of the day. Please check out Mindclash Games, they are right up there with Lacerda’s games. Trickerion if you like a Magician theme (it’s the movie Prestige as a board game) and also check out Anachrony, time travel goodness.

#852 3 years ago

Bought and played 3 games this past weekend. Harry Potter Hogwarts Cup battle was a fun worker placement. Theme was a bit weak graphically, but the scorekeeper gems in a potion bottle were cool. Also managed to buy a copy of Groo: The Game as it has been out of print for a while and I sold mine a while back. Probably need to be a Groo fan to enjoy it but it brought back memories.

Lastly picked up Fallout Shelter and it was a blast. About an hour long fun conversion of the video game. Artwork/assets the opposite of the HP game above and was fun to pick up and play.

Waiting for some Stonemaier games to arrive yet this month and possibly September. Pendulum preordered and arriving soon. Tapestry expansion announced and should have in September and we are super excited for that. We've played Tapestry over 100 times easily since it's release just under a year ago.

#853 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Bought and played 3 games this past weekend. Harry Potter Hogwarts Cup battle was a fun worker placement. Theme was a bit weak graphically, but the scorekeeper gems in a potion bottle were cool. Also managed to buy a copy of Groo: The Game as it has been out of print for a while and I sold mine a while back. Probably need to be a Groo fan to enjoy it but it brought back memories.
Lastly picked up Fallout Shelter and it was a blast. About an hour long fun conversion of the video game. Artwork/assets the opposite of the HP game above and was fun to pick up and play.
Waiting for some Stonemaier games to arrive yet this month and possibly September. Pendulum preordered and arriving soon. Tapestry expansion announced and should have in September and we are super excited for that. We've played Tapestry over 100 times easily since it's release just under a year ago.

Jealous.. my game group hasn’t met since February thanks to covid. Are you playing with your family? Or keeping your group going?

#854 3 years ago

Almost all family. 1 or 2 occasional friends.

#855 3 years ago

Finally finished my board game table (2 months of work on and off). Now time to play some games with family before school starts and we have to shut everything down again.
IMG_20200816_215413.jpgIMG_20200816_215413.jpg

#856 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Finally finished my board game table (2 months of work on and off). Now time to play some games with family before school starts and we have to shut everything down again.

Looks great, nice job!

#857 3 years ago

[quoted image]

That's a really awesome looking space. Nicely done.

#858 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I’m jealous, but I barely have room for my pins!

#859 3 years ago

Nice collection of games. I love Trickerion.

#860 3 years ago

I got half of my game room almost the way I want it with the game table and room for one more pin. Waiting to finish the whole room before I post in the Game room pic thread.

4F62706F-2F7D-4A4E-B7DD-F99A941CFF59 (resized).jpeg4F62706F-2F7D-4A4E-B7DD-F99A941CFF59 (resized).jpeg
#861 3 years ago

I was catching up on this thread last week and I want to thank those that talked about Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. I was steadily playing Gloomhaven with a group for over a year at a friends house, and I decided to pick up my own with an Amazon Honey watch at $80. My purpose was to buy when still in print to play someday down the road with my family. Once the price hit my target I bought the game.

Well, my 10 and 7 yr old sons saw the game and wanted to play. We busted out all of the pieces and got everything organized into plano cases. We did two games, which they were able to catch on to with the wife playing also, without much trouble. The kids play Magic and are good at gaming.

Fast forward five months later and we haven't played again. The kids ask, but I have been reluctant to spend an hour to setup and another 30 mintues to go over the game again. Then I saw on this forum that Gloomhaven came out with a slim game with same play, but easier setup. I bought Jaws of the Lion from my local gameshop that same day. We have played up to scenario 4 over the last week. We did get our but kicked on 4 and need to play again, but that happens.

I really love the way they slowly guide you through the rules. I'm a terrible teacher and the way this game is setup, it takes the teacher role out. I also love how the setup is at least cut in half. Thanks again for alerting me to this game.

#862 3 years ago

We’ve got two new players in our jaws of the lion and they really love it but they were in for a shock when we hit that 4th scenario. We failed once and just barely won it the second time.

#863 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

I got half of my game room almost the way I want it with the game table and room for one more pin. Waiting to finish the whole room before I post in the Game room pic thread. [quoted image]

7th Continent! I was playing with a good friend of mine before the pandemic. He hasn't come over since. Can't wait to resume our adventure.

#864 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

7th Continent! I was playing with a good friend of mine before the pandemic. He hasn't come over since. Can't wait to resume our adventure.

We were playing Pandemic Legacy Season 2.... And then the real pandemic got us. #irony

#865 3 years ago

Still haven't finished the first adventure, VG. I got quite a ways one time and ran out of cards. Got quite a bit of the map sketched out from those play throughs. I've done the opening island so many times I think I'm just going to skip it and start with a random assortment next time. The table is so nice as it lets me spread out enough for a proper playthrough. 7th Continent is a fun game for the adventure minded.

#866 3 years ago

We are on our 3rd try on VG. We thought we knew where we were going the 2nd time and boy did we ever fail!

#867 3 years ago

I literally just finished boxing up my copy of 7th Continent for a Mechs vs. Minions trade on BGG. It was my first kickstarter game and I can see why people love it, but it just never grabbed my group.

#868 3 years ago

It’s awesome solo or two player. More than that and it bogs down.

#869 3 years ago

Able to get in a few games this weekend. Played Fort from Leder Games and was fun once we figured it out. Printed out the new Tapestry civilizations and that will breath some more life into that game for sure. Can't wait for the full expansion to arrive in what might be a couple weeks.

Pendulum did show up from Stonemaier games and it is a blast. Played it a couple times and had fun. Quick moving game for sure. Don't let the real time moniker fool you though, it's more about waiting for the timers to finish so you can make your next moves, not about beating somebody to the punch.

1 week later
#870 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Did you have plans for this or just freestyle it? Any pics of the building process?

#871 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Did you have plans for this or just freestyle it? Any pics of the building process?

I looked at one picture from someone else's final table and deconstructed it from there.

I made plans using cinema4d for guesstimating and went from there.

Don't mind the mess.

IMG_20200722_190955 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_190955 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_171638 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_171638 (resized).jpgIMG_20200726_211126 (resized).jpgIMG_20200726_211126 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_151608 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_151608 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_154740 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_154740 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_215438 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_215438 (resized).jpgreceived_626428647984741 (resized).jpegreceived_626428647984741 (resized).jpegIMG_20200816_215027 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_215027 (resized).jpg
#872 3 years ago

That's a nice table. A couple years ago we decided to go with a Gametopper, LLC. It sits on a card table, but you don't see the cheap table base underneath that we got to put it on (same as our gaming store uses). The nice thing is it's portable, but we have only moved it twice the whole time. I recommend the table.

#873 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

We’ve got two new players in our jaws of the lion and they really love it but they were in for a shock when we hit that 4th scenario. We failed once and just barely won it the second time.

Any tips for getting though it? I'm playing with my wife who is new to GH and my 11 and 8 yr old son.

#874 3 years ago

With GH I would suggest to take it slow. Yes the first couple quests are easy and you may want to double up and do more than 1, but it's best to resist that urge and let it sink in a bit. Especially those early stages where you want to see more, it adds a lot and is a lot to process for new players. Definitely don't try to play their hands for them unless they have questions or need a little help. See what they come up with on their own and see how it works. A couple of times we were telling my nephew what to do and he just looked at us like, I'm going to do this, which was much better, so we shut up! I couldn't tell you the order of difficulty, but find the easiest of the 4 classes and give that to your youngest.

4 weeks later
#875 3 years ago

Not my cup of tea, but I thought I would post this here...

2 weeks later
#876 3 years ago

I did get the Pinball 4-cade roll and write but have not had a chance yet to play it. The last month has been consumed by more Tapestry with the expansion as a filler. We've been playing a lot of Spirit Island and finally won a game. That game is really fun and looking forward to mixing in the expansions and using more of the spirits. Along the same lines of hard to win, but a blast to play is Nemesis. Finally got a retail copy of the KS version and it is awesome. Feels like you're in an Aliens movie and the different win scenarios per objective card really makes it a challenge. We didn't win our last game, but my nephew almost did. He met all the criteria but scanned his cards and was infected and ended up dying instead. Still a lot of fun throughout.

#877 3 years ago

I've got nemesis on order and can't wait for it to arrive and this all to be over so I can have my game group back in person.

Played Dead of Winter on Tabletop Simulator last weekend and game made by Ratva is one of the best playfields I've seen on that platform.

PSA: Steam has a digital tabletop festival that started today. Tons of cool seminars.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/tabletopfest

#878 3 years ago

Really looking forward to this week's releases as well. Mysterium Park, somewhat slimmed down version of the original that drastically saves on setup and tear down time. Also getting Star Wars Escape! as we love all those escape rooms in a box. Pandemic Legacy Season 0 hits as well, but I'm still not done with Season 2 yet.

#879 3 years ago

Board Game Geek's annual Secret Santa is live if you're into that sort of thing. I like doing that one and the Pinside one.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2523878/boardgamegeek-2020-secret-santa-registration-open

1 month later
#880 3 years ago

Looking for suggestions. We'd like to add a game this holiday season.

We have and enjoy Carcasonne, Catan, Azul, 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. Looking for something to add. Would welcome suggestions (2-4 players.

Thanks.

#881 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

We have and enjoy Carcasonne, Catan, Azul, 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. Looking for something to add. Would welcome suggestions (2-4 players.
Thanks.

Its minimum 3 player, but I highly recommend Cosmic Encounter! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39463/cosmic-encounter
It involves a lot of communication and negotiation, which is something your game list is a little light on. The complexity is a small step up from the games you listed, but that might make it fit nicely into the collection as opposed to overlapping with another game. The variable player powers makes each game unique, and it blends chaos and strategy really nicely!

#882 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

My wife and I have really like Wingspan. It's an engine builder, and it doesn't really look like you've checked that box with the above. It's pretty low stress and non-combative. It's pretty easy to teach and pickup.

Another suggestion is Spirit Island. It's pretty heavy, but has some really satisfying coop game play.

I think both of those scale really well from 2-4 players.

#883 3 years ago

If you want something different than anything you have, check out Mansions of Madness, 2nd Edition (assuming you're into the horror theme). It's a cooperative game and uses an app to control what's going on in the game so you don't have to keep track. Super atmospheric, and it's a lot of fun. My wife's favorite game is Ticket to Ride, and second favorite is Mansions of Madness...

I'd recommend Dead of Winter as well, if you want horror/survival, but without an app.

#884 3 years ago

If you're looking for gifts, my game of the year for 2020 was Forgotten Waters. Hilarious pirate themed stories with full voice acting and a fun game that can be played in person or remote with any web enabled device. Everyone that I've played this with has loved it immensely and I've rolled it out for my hardcore gamer friends and my in-laws. https://www.plaidhatgames.com/board-games/forgotten-waters/

I've not played enough of it yet, but Pandemic Legacy Season 0 is shaping up to be a close second. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is one of the best gaming experience I've ever had and this prequel is all in with the 1960's spy thriller theme and great co-op play!

#885 3 years ago

Tried playing Maracaibo yesterday. After over an hour of trying to figure out 3 players first turns we packed it up.

Looks fun, and understood many of the mechanisms... but the rulebook was really poorly laid out IMO. I will try again someday when I am more highly caffeinated perhaps but it was pretty frustrating to not even be able to make it through a single round.

Anyone else played it?

#886 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Tried playing Maracaibo yesterday. After over an hour of trying to figure out 3 players first turns we packed it up.
Looks fun, and understood many of the mechanisms... but the rulebook was really poorly laid out IMO. I will try again someday when I am more highly caffeinated perhaps but it was pretty frustrating to not even be able to make it through a single round.
Anyone else played it?

I love Maracaibo! I never try and learn the game with the other players there. Try to be as prepared as possible before you play. I recommend watching a “how to play” video on YouTube and/watch a little bit of a playthrough to get familiar with the game. I like “Jon Gets Games”, he does a 3 player game of Maracaibo and it was super helpful before I started. Also, you can try playing the solo mode to get familiar with the game before you teach it to others. Rule books can be tough sometimes, we have all been there. Once you get the first few turns under your belt it will mostly make sense. The game is amazing IMO. Good luck!

#887 3 years ago

#888 3 years ago

It might be hard to find at normal prices right now but Lost Ruins of Arnak combines elements of the games you listed into 1 and is pretty good. It just came out and it was hyped a lot so prices might be inflated for a bit unless you can find in a store. Also recommend Century Spice Road and Trekking the National Parks. Splendor is pretty good as well at that player count, and if you like the Marvel Universe they have a themed version as well.

#889 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

If you're looking for gifts, my game of the year for 2020 was Forgotten Waters. Hilarious pirate themed stories with full voice acting and a fun game that can be played in person or remote with any web enabled device. Everyone that I've played this with has loved it immensely and I've rolled it out for my hardcore gamer friends and my in-laws. https://www.plaidhatgames.com/board-games/forgotten-waters/

Thanks for the heads up on this game. I checked the reviews and they also agree that it's a great game.

I noticed on Amazon that the price for this game has been going up and down all day. I managed to purchase it when it was down to $43.57 (retail is $59.95). Although at one point I saw it as low as $42.56. Game arrives tomorrow, I am excited to play this with the family!

#890 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Thanks.

Thought of this later as well, the Azul Stained Glass version is a different, but kind of similar game that we feel is superior to the original Azul.

Also on Forgotten Waters, I got that the first day available, punched it out, read through it, and haven't brought it to the table yet. Maybe this weekend.

#891 3 years ago

I got to play my newly arrived kickstarter version of Kingdom Rush this weekend. They effectively transformed a fun tower defense video game into a fun tower defense board game. However, the rulebooks are not great. It's split between a rulebook and a scenario book and neither book really explains what to do very well. Not an overly complex game, but having two wall of words tomes that each only tell part of the rules despite having overlapping sections about the same steps was less than ideal.

Fun game and worth playing if you are a fan of the genre, but a poorly designed rulebook with an overly complicated intro scenario dulled its shine a bit.

#892 3 years ago

We finally played a 6 player game of Dune on Saturday and I got lucky enough to play as the Bene Gesseritt. I almost won on the prediction as Atreides was one army short of winning on turn 7. After that a worm appeared and I teamed up with the emperor and quickly nabbed 3 of 4 and I had to fight Atreides to win the game. I pretty much had it won and had to laugh when he reveled his leader, and I had his traitor card. Perfect win for the Bene Gesseritt when I almost predicted the victory, and predicted which leader I would need to take out in a battle! Great game, but it is not friendly at all.

1 week later
#893 3 years ago

34570287-8E20-4379-B0D1-33E025CF97BD (resized).jpeg34570287-8E20-4379-B0D1-33E025CF97BD (resized).jpeg

Now I just need to decide which one to play first....

Anyone else get any new board games for Christmas?

#894 3 years ago
PXL_20201226_033806531 (resized).jpgPXL_20201226_033806531 (resized).jpg
#895 3 years ago

Great games there. I would probably save Spirit Island for last. We got Trekking the World and Baseball Highlights 2045. A past due Kickstarter showed up as well Trick Shot, a hockey game.

#896 3 years ago

Klask is fun. We like playing that with the family. This year we added cat and mouth. Super fun for adults and kids. Who doesn’t love catapults

#897 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

[quoted image]

I got a couple of games from my Pinside Secret Santa!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-pinside-secret-santa-participants-thread/page/24#post-6034519

I also got a few games from my BoardGameGeek SS!
20201224_102442 (resized).jpg20201224_102442 (resized).jpg

And finally, got Path of the Serpent expansion for Mansions of Madness from my in-laws.

#898 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

[quoted image]

I love Spirit Island, probably my favorite game at the moment. I have Jaws of the Lion, but haven't cracked into it yet. Curious to hear what you think about both.

#899 3 years ago

We just played 'The River' for the first time tonight and the family really enjoyed it. It's similar to Splendor. I would recommend.

#900 3 years ago

Our Christmas board game haul... Betrayal came from my pinside secret santa, Coffee Roaster and Azul Summer Pavilion from the board game geek secret santa. Others were gifts within the family. We're liking Azul Summer Pavilion and just tried the basic rules on the pinball game yesterday and it definitely has a pinball feel to it. The others are yet to be played. P1030507 (resized).JPGP1030507 (resized).JPG

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/18?hl=a-1bogart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.