800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 30.
#751 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Without scrolling back through 15 pages, please toss out some fun 2-player or even 3-player games that are easy to setup and learn, and only take about 30 minutes to play. Fiance isn't too interested in Munchkins, or anything that has a D&D feel to it.

Fox in the Forest is a very easy to learn and a fun two player game. It’s only about $10-$15. My girlfriend isn’t a gamer and enjoys it. Splendor and Jaipur are also two player classics that are easy to learn and quick to set up.

#752 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Without scrolling back through 15 pages, please toss out some fun 2-player or even 3-player games that are easy to setup and learn, and only take about 30 minutes to play. Fiance isn't too interested in Munchkins, or anything that has a D&D feel to it.

Patchwork is my go to game with my wife. Azul and Carcassonne are also ones we enjoy.

#753 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Patchwork is my go to game with my wife. Azul and Carcassonne are also ones we enjoy.

I almost bought Azul during Christmas, but I started to read up on it and it seemed like it was heavy on the rules side and it wasn't a game that you could jump right into. Is this a bad assumption?

#754 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Gloomhaven.. I do hate setup of games, so that's been a barrier for me. I could have a space where I leave it up for quite a while though.
How easy is it for players to jump in and out? If I start a solo game, can someone else come and go periodically?

There is quite a bit of set up and book keeping with GH. My group consists of 4-5 people playing so games got long. I think GH is much better 1-3 players. To speed up set up time, I used a variety of organizers. The game is really cool and dropping in/out works fine. I think it started to lose favor with my group because it was basically all we could play in one night. Seems like my group has moved away from longer play times in favor of games that run 2 hours max. The only longer games we still play are Mage Knight and 7th content (although the latter can be stopped/started at any time). Once they add co op to the digital version of GH, I think we will start playing again. I think GH is one of those games that might actually be more enjoyable digitally.

#755 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I almost bought Azul during Christmas, but I started to read up on it and it seemed like it was heavy on the rules side and it wasn't a game that you could jump right into. Is this a bad assumption?

It is an easy game to learn with some underlying strategy that will become more evident the more you play. But the basic game is easy to learn.

I have also heard Sagrada is a great 2 player game but I have yet to play it.

#756 3 years ago

Parks was also fun at two players but definitely better at a higher player count.

#757 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

It’s funny you mention Gloomhaven. I spent some time reading about it last night. It looks absolutely amazing. My guess is you need a dedicated game space so you don’t need to continue to set up and tear it down. Do you feel the rules are somewhat easily understood? I don’t mind spending some time digesting rules and working through a bit of a learning curve but I’ve played a couple of games where the rules were just so complex it took too much enjoyment away from the game. Thanks in advance.

I think it's the best game ever. The rules aren't too bad once you learn them. The set up is brutal though. A dedicated area would be perfect. I have been told there are quite a few apps you can download to to lessen it. Such as one that recreates the monsters from the scenario and draws for them. You still move the miniature but you don't need to set up the monster cards which is a hassle and takes up space. I think there are even better ones too.
I agree the sweet spot is around 3. I soloed with 4 and it took a long time per campaign. My wife and I also played and 2 can get overrun at times.
Getting new cards for you deck when your character levels up is really satisfying

#758 3 years ago

We've had to make some house rules for playing with only two players to make Gloomhaven more fun (bad character and level mix had us getting crushed), but it's a fantastic game if you like both D&D and board games.

I use two of these to store the components to make it easier to setup, but it does have a ton of parts and still takes a bit of time to get off the shelf.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-bin-medium-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

Mother-in-law sent us Pandemic Season 2 instead of easter candy this year.... we live in interesting times.

#759 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Mother-in-law sent us Pandemic Season 2 instead of easter candy this year.... we live in interesting times.

The wife and I have been working through season 1 the last two weeks. Great game! This is my first “legacy” type game.

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

The wife and I have been working through season 1 the last two weeks. Great game! This is my first “legacy” type game.

Pandemic Legacy is an amazing game, fantastic story, and great entrance into the legacy gaming experience. Unfortunately, when you start with one of the best, other games can fail to live up to the legacy expectations... I looking you Seafall just sitting there half finished taking up space on my shelf.

Season 3 is supposed to drop this year, but it seems like that may have become a LARP instead.

#761 3 years ago

7 Wonders Duel is our go to two player game. I also like Santorini, but my wife doesn't like it as much.

#762 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve really enjoyed playing Terraforming Mars as a one player/solo game. Does anyone have any recommendations for games with a similar complexity weight that are also excellent one player/solo games? Thanks in advance for the help!

Solo focused games:

1) Nemo's War
2) Unbroken
3) Mr Cabbagehead's Garden

Games that can be enjoyed solo:

1) Escape the Dark Castle
2) Freedom: The Underground Railroad
3) Terraforming Mars

Nemo's War is the most enjoyable solo game I've ever played. Great thematic experience, wonderful presentation, and not easy to win. I've heard good things about Unbroken, but I haven't pulled it off the shelf yet. I've played Escape the Dark Castle both with friends & solo, and I enjoy it every single time. Freedom is next on my list to attempt solo.

#763 3 years ago

Watergate is a really good 2 player game. May be our favorite.

#764 3 years ago

Do you mind if I barge in here to ask for some COVID-19 game suggestions? My daughter and I enjoy cooperative games, and we're lucky to have a great local toy store that's doing home deliveries during the shutdown.

We have Forbidden Desert and its siblings. We're big fans of Pandemic, and for me that has just about the perfect level of depth. Once the setup and rules become too cumbersome, I tend to start tuning out. My daughter doesn't seem to have the same issue. (So I guess what I'm saying is that my attention span is worse than that of a teenage girl.)

We also really enjoy Kosmos's "escape room in a box" Exit games. Are there others with a similar adventure/puzzle game mechanic? I grew up on the old Sierra ___ Quest computer games, so those are right up my alley, and I've introduced her to that type of game through the newer point-and-click games available for Android.

#765 3 years ago

You should sit down with her and finish Zork I, II, and III with her

#766 3 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Do you mind if I barge in here to ask for some COVID-19 game suggestions? My daughter and I enjoy cooperative games, and we're lucky to have a great local toy store that's doing home deliveries during the shutdown.
We have Forbidden Desert and its siblings. We're big fans of Pandemic, and for me that has just about the perfect level of depth. Once the setup and rules become too cumbersome, I tend to start tuning out. My daughter doesn't seem to have the same issue. (So I guess what I'm saying is that my attention span is worse than that of a teenage girl.)
We also really enjoy Kosmos's "escape room in a box" Exit games. Are there others with a similar adventure/puzzle game mechanic? I grew up on the old Sierra __ Quest computer games, so those are right up my alley, and I've introduced her to that type of game through the newer point-and-click games available for Android.

7th Continent is a great cooperative game. Perfect for 2 players. Especially if you enjoy old "choose-your-own-adventure" type of computer games and books.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180263/7th-continent

It's a bit more in depth with rules and complexity, so it might be too much for you if you like it simple, but once you get the rules figured out it is a great time.

#767 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

You should sit down with her and finish Zork I, II, and III with her

Oh man, I wish I'd kept all my old Infocom games. Not that I could do anything with those big-ass floppy disks now, but the boxes and insert materials were a big part of the experience.

Quoted from ChadH:

7th Continent is a great cooperative game. Perfect for 2 players. Especially if you enjoy old "choose-your-own-adventure" type of computer games and books.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180263/7th-continent
It's a bit more in depth with rules and complexity, so it might be too much for you if you like it simple, but once you get the rules figured out it is a great time.

That's actually one I was eyeing, thanks for the recommendation!

#768 3 years ago

That's actually one I was eyeing, thanks for the recommendation!

Here is a much less complex and less time consuming one if you want to have a lighter cooperative game:

Escape The Dark Castle
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/227456/escape-dark-castle

#769 3 years ago

Ghost Stories is one of my favorite cooperative board games. Hard to win. A lot of variables to keep it fresh. A little bit of a learning curve, but not terrible.

Asmodee Ghost Stories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J77UUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sn4LEbQZ9H2KE

#770 3 years ago

Oh man, I wish I'd kept all my old Infocom games. Not that I could do anything with those big-ass floppy disks now, but the boxes and insert materials were a big part of the experience.

No need for floppies, go play it online.

http://www.web-adventures.org/cgi-bin/webfrotz?s=ZorkDungeon

#771 3 years ago

We also really enjoy Kosmos's "escape room in a box" Exit games. Are there others with a similar adventure/puzzle game mechanic? I grew up on the old Sierra __ Quest computer games, so those are right up my alley, and I've introduced her to that type of game through the newer point-and-click games available for Android.

"Zombie Kidz" enough said

#772 3 years ago

Infocom! I would stare at those boxes in the book store drooling. No graphics at all and we’re the best games in those early pc days.

#773 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

A PERFECT game that meets your requirements would be Ringmaster Welcome to the Big Top. Set up is dealing out a few cards. That's pretty much it. You can learn the game in two minutes. You can fit 4 or 5 games into a half an hour. It is a circus theme with decent artwork, no D&D stuff. The win conditions change as the game progresses, and the win condition for each player can be different. It retails at Barnes & Noble for $10. It is the type of game that definitely has that "Wow that was quick. Lets play again." over and over. I don't know of anyone who has played it that did not like it.

#774 3 years ago

Looking for some recommendations to play with a kid. My daughter is obsessed with Ghost Fighting treasure hunters (which is a great game and unbelievable bargain) but I need a change. We tried Sleeping queens (didn't really grab her, I think too simple), Rhino Hero super battle (which did ok but I'd like a non-agility game), and Santorini (which she enjoyed, but the theme lacks compared to GFTH). Dice throwing is a plus, as is figures and theme. Thanks.

#775 3 years ago

I'd also like to add a recommendation for Terraforming Mars (for solo). I have about 3 solo games under my belt and it's starting to click. Once you get the flow of the turns/generations its pretty easy. It is a great engine builder and a great second step after Dominion (one of my other favorites). The game also benefits from some sort of storage system as well.

#776 3 years ago

Star Realms is a fun deck builder for two players that would work for all ages that can count. (4 with expansions) The iPad app is fantastic too.

I've also been getting into Arkham Horror the Card Game, but it's a long game that's not really young kid friendly. Unless warping their minds with tales of flesh eating ghoul cultists is your parenting strategy. Then go for it.

#777 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Looking for some recommendations to play with a kid. My daughter is obsessed with Ghost Fighting treasure hunters (which is a great game and unbelievable bargain) but I need a change. We tried Sleeping queens (didn't really grab her, I think too simple), Rhino Hero super battle (which did ok but I'd like a non-agility game), and Santorini (which she enjoyed, but the theme lacks compared to GFTH). Dice throwing is a plus, as is figures and theme. Thanks.

How old is your daughter? Are you looking for a game that is best with 2 players?

#778 3 years ago

Horrified is an awesome co-op game along the same lines as Pandemic. It is super thematic to the classic Universal Monsters and you can mix and match them however you want for a unique experience. Each monster has a specific behavior and mechanism for battling them, but it never becomes too complex.

Castle Panic is another very fun co-op game, but quite different from the others listed. It's probably a bit lighter, but it has some great expansions that add depth and flavor. Good, goofier fun.

If you are Harry Potter fans, Hogwarts Battle is great. It is co-op, but again different from the others listed. It is more of a deck builder and you progress through seven games following the books/movies, each adding cards, abilities, mechanisms as you go. Since it starts simple and adds complexity as it goes, it never feels like too much of a learning curve.

I haven't played it, but I have heard good things about Flash Point being a great co-op game.

#779 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

How old is your daughter? Are you looking for a game that is best with 2 players?

I probably should've included that. She is almost 6. Two players are best, but more are welcome.

We are looking into zombie kidz, once upon a castle, stuffed fables, and Crusoe crew. It seems like most quality games in this age bracket are coop, which is fine, but not a requirement to us.

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I probably should've included that. She is almost 6. Two players are best, but more are welcome.
We are looking into zombie kidz, once upon a castle, stuffed fables, and Crusoe crew. It seems like most quality games in this age bracket are coop, which is fine, but not a requirement to us.

Get Sleeping Queens!! My daughter loved that game. It’s for kids, but still fun for adults. Probably around $10. I can’t recommend it enough!

#782 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Get Sleeping Queens!! My daughter loved that game. It’s for kids, but still fun for adults. Probably around $10. I can’t recommend it enough!

We have it; she didn't love it. I think she is more into games with a board/figures/dice etc.

#783 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

We have it; she didn't love it. I think she is more into games with a board/figures/dice etc.

I’m sorry to hear that! Everyone has their preferences. Catan Jr. is a good game that my kids enjoyed as well, but she may be a little too young for that one. You’d have to make the call.

#784 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Horrified is an awesome co-op game along the same lines as Pandemic. It is super thematic to the classic Universal Monsters and you can mix and match them however you want for a unique experience. Each monster has a specific behavior and mechanism for battling them, but it never becomes too complex.
Castle Panic is another very fun co-op game, but quite different from the others listed. It's probably a bit lighter, but it has some great expansions that add depth and flavor. Good, goofier fun.
If you are Harry Potter fans, Hogwarts Battle is great. It is co-op, but again different from the others listed. It is more of a deck builder and you progress through seven games following the books/movies, each adding cards, abilities, mechanisms as you go. Since it starts simple and adds complexity as it goes, it never feels like too much of a learning curve.
I haven't played it, but I have heard good things about Flash Point being a great co-op game.

Awesome, thanks! We've never much cared for Harry Potter, but the others sound like solid matches.

#785 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Flashpoint is solid. I don't think it is as fun as Pandemic but the learning curve is much lower if you're playing with kids. Horrified is also fun and not overly complicated. But certain monsters are more difficult so you can adjust the difficulty that way.
My wife's favorite game is lost cities which is 2 player card game. She also lives ticket to ride

#786 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Couple of suggestions:

Outfoxed!
Animal Upon Animal
Whoowasit?
Forbidden Island

There's also a My First line of games which might be good. Games like My First Carcassonne, My First Castle Panic, etc.

#787 3 years ago

Rhino Hero is another good kid's game that's also fun for adults.

#788 3 years ago

Creating my own single-player game. Started with designing the box. Done.

Storyline of WESTEROS DEFENSE is:
The Night King attacks Westeros. There are three options of battles to stop him.
At the wall, in Winterfell and at least in Kings Landing.
Target is to stop him at the wall. If you miss, second chance in Winterfell and the last chance in Kings Landing.
Form battle to battle your get more strength (Life-Points).

Basic of my game is the Game Fantasy Defense, but i put some new (better?) additions in. And i have no coop-mode. And i have the better theme

Box (resized).jpgBox (resized).jpg
#789 3 years ago

This is probably a bit of a flyer but has anyone played Outlive solo? If so, how was it? I’ve been considering purchasing as primarily a solo game but thought I’d seek some feedback first. Thanks!

#790 3 years ago

My wife and I really enjoy harry potter battle for Hogwarts. Are there other coop deck building games like it?

#791 3 years ago

I've never played that one, so not sure how it compares, but my wife and I played LOTR LCG for the first time this past weekend. We both really liked it. I got the core game from goodwill sealed. It looks like there are a lot of expansions. I think I'll try to exhaust the scenarios in the core game before buying any expansions. I really like LOTR, but I don't know if it's the choice I want to make to get really into an LCG/expansions. I am happy to find it though, as I love deck games, but hated how unbalanced things got with the CCGs.

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've never played that one, so not sure how it compares, but my wife and I played LOTR LCG for the first time this past weekend. We both really liked it. I got the core game from goodwill sealed. It looks like there are a lot of expansions. I think I'll try to exhaust the scenarios in the core game before buying any expansions. I really like LOTR, but I don't know if it's the choice I want to make to get really into an LCG/expansions. I am happy to find it though, as I love deck games, but hated how unbalanced things got with the CCGs.

Watch out or you'll spend a lot of money on that. I got the core plus probably other 4 sets which are 6 adventures each.
The lotr saga ones are really neat. It is campaign style over the 3 books broken into 9 adventures with items that carryover

#793 3 years ago

Yeah I'm trying to avoid going down another rabbit hole. Swccg was a big one when I was younger, x-wing has cost me a stupid amount (and then they released a new version!!!).

So is there a difference between a LCG and the "deckbuilder" you referenced?

#794 3 years ago

The LCG are nice because you’re not buying blind booster packs looking for certain cards. You buy the latest story pack and all the new cards are in there. Still a deck builder, but the card pools are easier and cheaper to pull from.

#795 3 years ago

Nevermind. I was reading into it a bit. I dont think I've really played a proper deckbuilding game, but maybe I need to.

Have you tried Dominion? I hear that referenced all the time.

#796 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

My wife and I really enjoy harry potter battle for Hogwarts. Are there other coop deck building games like it?

Marvel Legendary is an excellent coop deck builder.

https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Deck-Legendary-Marvel-Building/dp/B00A4KHEK0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2

#797 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Marvel Legendary is an excellent coop deck builder.
amazon.com link »

Thanks. That seems to be a consensus great game. I'll have to check it out

#798 3 years ago

If anybody wants legendary, I have a copy in great shape I’d happily part with for like 20 bucks. just didn’t get into it.

#799 3 years ago

I’ll take it but I assume shipping would be a gating issue!

#800 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ll take it but I assume shipping would be a gating issue!

Yeah, with shipping it’d probably be as much as that amazon copy (if you had prime)

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/16?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.