800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

There are 1,466 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 30.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Just found out, I’m heading to Gen Con this year for the first time since it was in Milwaukee.
Anyone have any Gen Con advice or pinball recommendations for Indy if I get tired of board/role playing games?

Oh man, I haven't been there since Milwaukee either but I talked to a co-worker the other day who said Indy does a way better job and that as a woman, she feels safer there as well so that's cool. Have a blast, share what you do!

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Just found out, I’m heading to Gen Con this year for the first time since it was in Milwaukee.
Anyone have any Gen Con advice or pinball recommendations for Indy if I get tired of board/role playing games?

Gen Con is a great time in Indy, this will be my 3rd year working for a vendor there. For pinball recommendations, there is: Tappers (barcade with 24/25 pins at it, pay to play the pins, the arcade games are free); Friday night of Gen Con is PinVault in Fountain Square, $5 door fee, games are free; Sinking Ship has a number of pins; Fountain Square Brewing has 6 machines; Center Point brewing has some as well; Black Circle Brewing; and then there are a number of locations that have less than 4 pins on location. The operators in Indy do a great job with keeping their machines clean and working.

#603 4 years ago

Anyone coming to SFGE for board games?

1 week later
#604 4 years ago

Looking for a good 2 player game to play with my wife on an upcoming trip. Any suggestions?

Bonus points for replay value, small pack size, and ability to play solo.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Looking for a good 2 player game to play with my wife on an upcoming trip. Any suggestions?

Mr Cabbagehead’s Garden checks all those boxes.

#606 4 years ago

Jaipur, crypt, Arboretum

#608 4 years ago

Oh, you didn't specifically say 2 player for the trip over on the other forum. I'd second the "Lost Cities" recommendation, as well as "Jaipur" and "Patchwork"

#609 4 years ago

Monopoly Deal and Ascension are the two card games the wife and I always travel with.

#610 4 years ago

7 Wonders Duel

1 week later
#611 4 years ago

Lots of good board game deals out there for Prime Day. Worth taking a look if you haven't already.

#612 4 years ago

Lots of good board game deals out there for Prime Day. Worth taking a look if you haven't already.

Bought Jaipur, sneaky snacky squirrels and blokus from BN. Almost bought 7 wonders duel, Fuji and Isle of Skye, but i have more games than I can play at this point. Etherfields tomorrow...lol.

#613 4 years ago

Qwixx

#614 4 years ago

I went pretty nuts on games recently. I haven't really been this overwhelmed (in a good, exciting way) since starting in pinball. Just realizing how many great games with different styles (art, theme, gameplay, etc) has been fun to discover. I put a focus on 2-player games, and was looking for a few that scale well. I'm also really interested in games that can grow with our family. I have a pretty sharp 5 year old, and we've played Sushi-Go and King of Tokyo, she loves both. I have a couple of twins on her heels (2.5 years old), so I'm also on a constant search for games all 5 of us will be able to enjoy.

I just added a bunch of these, most of them due to Prime Day..

Forbidden Island
7 Wonders Duel
Dead of Winter
Carcassone
Dixit
Patchwork
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

#615 4 years ago

I went pretty nuts on games recently. I haven't really been this overwhelmed (in a good, exciting way) since starting in pinball. Just realizing how many great games with different styles (art, theme, gameplay, etc) has been fun to discover. I put a focus on 2-player games, and was looking for a few that scale well. I'm also really interested in games that can grow with our family. I have a pretty sharp 5 year old, and we've played Sushi-Go and King of Tokyo, she loves both. I have a couple of twins on her heels (2.5 years old), so I'm also on a constant search for games all 5 of us will be able to enjoy.
I just added a bunch of these, most of them due to Prime Day..
Forbidden Island
7 Wonders Duel
Dead of Winter
Carcassone
Dixit
Patchwork
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

You could take a look at Rhino Hero, and depending on math skills (or your willingness to help) Dragonwood. Both are a bit out of the twins' bracket for now. Another fun one would be Ice Cool.

2 weeks later
#616 4 years ago

I can now confirm that pinball is completely absent from Gen Con. First time back since the 90's when it was in Milwaukee and it dwarfs any event that I've ever been to. Simply amazing and highly recommended.

#617 4 years ago

I've been rounding out my board game collection by adding a few kids games. I currently have Loupin' Louie, Ticket to Ride: First Journey, Catan Junior, Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters, Treasure, Ready, Go!, and Spot It.

3 weeks later
#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I can now confirm that pinball is completely absent from Gen Con. First time back since the 90's when it was in Milwaukee and it dwarfs any event that I've ever been to. Simply amazing and highly recommended.

Should've just asked.

There has never been pinball since I've been going and that's been about 10 years.

2 weeks later
#619 4 years ago

My collection so far with Wingspan and Tainted Grail on the way.
Looking for games that me and my wife both enjoy and all of these fit the bill.
What else should I get?

IMG_0408 (resized).jpgIMG_0408 (resized).jpg
#620 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

What else should I get?

My wife and I play a lot of the Ascension deck builders and also Smallworld.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

My collection so far with Wingspan and Tainted Grail on the way.
Looking for games that me and my wife both enjoy and all of these fit the bill.
What else should I get?[quoted image]

*Looks at game shelf pic...looks at your avatar. Looks back at game shelf pic...looks back at avatar*

Dude...you definitely need Horrified in your life. It's an awesome co-op game along the lines of Pandemic, but with a Universal Monsters theme. There are six monsters to mix and match who you want to fight (and how many at once for difficulty level). Each have a clever, thematic mechanism for defeating them. I really enjoy the games in your collection that I have played, and Horrified has quickly become one of my all time favorites. It even works really well solo for when you can't find anyone to play.

33430AB1-A510-47AD-BD10-A8FA7C25EA0D (resized).jpeg33430AB1-A510-47AD-BD10-A8FA7C25EA0D (resized).jpegDE766878-8ADD-4E6F-836D-594218DF2FA5 (resized).jpegDE766878-8ADD-4E6F-836D-594218DF2FA5 (resized).jpeg
#622 4 years ago

What player counts have you been playing with with Horrified? I have played it solo a few times so I can teach my group. Pretty easy game to teach. I imagine the more players, the harder it gets since monsters activate between player turns.

#623 4 years ago

You should check out the Azul Stained glass version as well. We almost prefer that to the original. Wingspan is one of the best games we own, just takes a bit to understand the board a bit. Century Spice Road is pretty good too. Still waiting for Horrified to show up in stores so I can grab that.

#624 4 years ago

I took a stop by Goodwill the other day, just to see if they had any decent games. Nothing... but I did find a kids golf bag for my son. I went to check out, and saw LOTR LCG in a case by the checkout. I took a look - $15, still in original wrap. Score!

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

What player counts have you been playing with with Horrified? I have played it solo a few times so I can teach my group. Pretty easy game to teach. I imagine the more players, the harder it gets since monsters activate between player turns.

I have played it solo twice, and once with three. Three was definitely harder, but the "beginner" combo of Dracula and Creature were still pretty easy. I think moving up to three villains will definitely be a challenge with 3+ players.

Quoted from Groo:

You should check out the Azul Stained glass version as well. We almost prefer that to the original. Wingspan is one of the best games we own, just takes a bit to understand the board a bit. Century Spice Road is pretty good too. Still waiting for Horrified to show up in stores so I can grab that.

That Azul looks great, and the new one coming soon looks awesome too. Just too many games, not enough time and money. Sounds like pinball, LOL.
Amazon has Horrified for $35 and it will be there tomorrow.

Back to Schwarz's two player suggestion question:

If either of you are Harry Potter fans, Hogwarts Battle is awesome. I have only played it with 3, but 2 should work fine. It is a super thematic cooperative deck builder. You play through a book at a time, with each adding mechanics and new cards. The first book is basically a tutorial, with each building to book seven which is the "full" game. We only went through two so far, but are definitely looking forward to more. I hear it gets pretty tough as you go, especially with more players. I would think two players wouldn't have too much trouble. There is also an expansion which I hear really ratchets up the difficulty. This one is definitely one of our family favorites.

Dragon Castle is another great one we have been enjoying. It is like Mahjong, but you use the tiles you take to build your own castle. Beautiful game and makes for a nice, relaxing time. There are different set-up boards/configurations for different player numbers, and played great with 2.

Amazon had Blokus Duo for $5 the other day. Not sure if it went back up or not. Fun simple abstract game. We already owned the original, and it sort of works for two players, but Duo works way better.

Have you checked out any of the Love Letter games? We have the Batman version and my daughter and I play it a ton. I have heard mixed reviews about how well it works with two, but for us it works great. Very simple game, but very fun and addicting.

Potion Explosion is a ton of fun, but not sure how it plays with two. Should be fine.

#626 4 years ago

I took a stop by Goodwill the other day, just to see if they had any decent games. Nothing... but I did find a kids golf bag for my son. I went to check out, and saw LOTR LCG in a case by the checkout. I took a look - $15, still in original wrap. Score!

Nice! My wife and daughter have found a surprising amount of good games at Goodwill, St Vinnies, etc. Some clunkers too, but for a few bucks a game, it's worth trying. Best find was probably Pandemic for like $2. Unfortunately it was right after we bought ours for full price, but it made for a great gift exchange present. They also found an old copy of Can't Stop there. That is one my wife played as a kid, but I hadn't heard of. Really fun game if you like pushing your luck. Qwirkle also seems to show up a lot, and I swear my wife buys it every time it does, LOL. She claims you can never have too much Qwirkle.

#627 4 years ago

I always check Goodwill for board games. This past weekend we picked up 13 Dead End Drive, Loopin' Louie, and Scrabble: 50th Anniversary Edition. In the past I've picked up Beyond Balderdash, Blokus, Citadels, Codenames, Hero's Quest (sold), Pig Pong, Pillars of the Earth (sold), Simpson's Clue (sold), Wits & Wagers, etc. If anyone is just starting to get into board games, I'd highly suggest Apples to Apples and Beyond Balderdash. I think most "gamers" think they are too trendy at this point, but they really are decent party games...and you can almost always pick them up for a few bucks each.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Horrified has quickly become one of my all time favorites

I like me some Pandemic so I had to pick up Horrified after reading your review. Plus it is on sale at Target for $27.

#629 4 years ago

I'm about to start Pandemic Legacy with my wife and another couple. Any advice on how often you need play to stay involved or anything else?

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm about to start Pandemic Legacy with my wife and another couple. Any advice on how often you need play to stay involved or anything else?

It's a fantastic game that will likely hook you pretty quick. If you've played regular Pandemic before, it's cake. The rules are not too difficult and it's still easy to pickup even after long interludes.

I've seen people blow through it in a little over a month and I'm on the cusp of finishing after over a year. (I could have binged in a week if scheduling would have worked!)

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Couple of things to note, there are boxes and those sheets that share the same numbers. So make you are opening the correct ones when asked. We played with 2, but its harder with 4. Was super duper fun.

#632 4 years ago

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys!
I've added Horrified, Love Letter, Small World, Hogwarts Battle and Century Spice Road to my wishlist.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Couple of things to note, there are boxes and those sheets that share the same numbers. So make you are opening the correct ones when asked. We played with 2, but its harder with 4. Was super duper fun.

This, this, this. Why they didn't do numbers for boxes and letters for tabs or something is beyond me. We opened up a box (I thinkwhen we should have opened tab 8 and we didn't notice until two months later. It wasn't a game breaker but it did make those two months pretty easy.

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

*Looks at game shelf pic...looks at your avatar. Looks back at game shelf pic...looks back at avatar*
Dude...you definitely need Horrified in your life. It's an awesome co-op game along the lines of Pandemic, but with a Universal Monsters theme. There are six monsters to mix and match who you want to fight (and how many at once for difficulty level). Each have a clever, thematic mechanism for defeating them. I really enjoy the games in your collection that I have played, and Horrified has quickly become one of my all time favorites. It even works really well solo for when you can't find anyone to play.[quoted image][quoted image]

I actually searched to see if there was a board game thread just to post about this game. For the price it is a seriously fun game. Flows best with three people and becomes harder with the fourth player. Also, checkout boardgamegeek - people have made amazing add-ons including Phantom of the Opera you can download and play with. Very creative.

The only downside (for me) is that they made a translucent Invisible Man mini and made it exclusive to GenCon and it sells for more than the game itself!

IMan (resized).JPGIMan (resized).JPG
#635 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I would try to play it at least twice a month to stay engaged in the storyline. We spread Season 2 out over a much longer period and I feel that might have been a reason we didn't enjoy it as much as Season 1.

1 week later
#636 4 years ago

I did pick up Horrified and we had a lot of fun with it. Pretty much Pandemic in the Universal Monsters universe. Many of the same mechanics but the different ways to find and defeat the monsters is fun. The Mummy was a real treat.

Haven't played much else, other than Tapestry. Got that on an early pre-order and is so addicting. It's not a full blown Civ game, but I'll take it over the 3+ hour play time for those types of games. So many variables and just like Civ games, eager to finish and start a new game to see where it takes you.

#637 4 years ago

Was just starting to get back into tabletop gaming, since Games Workshop opened up a small-ish 'warhammer' store in town. Now I've got three armies I'm working on......

Then the store got gutted by a tornado, and they're said nothing about if they will be rebuilding or not.

-Hans

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

We played it at work and it took a little over a year to finish (due to scheduling conflicts) -- which was fine. We're actually starting season 2 today!

3 weeks later
#639 4 years ago

Anyone played Unsolved Case Files yet? Thinking about hosting a murder mystery dinner party for a group of people and was looking for feedback.

2 weeks later
#640 4 years ago

Thanks for the Horrified recommendation. My wife and I like it as a nice change of pace to other co op games we have played recently.

#641 4 years ago

I play this great game I heard about, it's called "Let's hoard board games"!

games (resized).jpggames (resized).jpg
#642 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I play this great game I heard about, it's called "Let's hoard board games"![quoted image]

And diapers!

#643 4 years ago

I know people really like Pandemic. I personally find it kind of tedious to move one card per turn to another player (I think one player has a perk to lessen that pain). Forbidden Island is a pretty similar game in that way, but from memory, Pandemic requires you to be in the same location as what's represented on the card... making parts of the game really monotonous. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, or maybe I've been playing it wrong...

Are there any suggestions for co-op games that don't rely so heavily on that "move cards from one player to another" type mechanic?

#644 4 years ago

Are there any suggestions for co-op games that don't rely so heavily on that "move cards from one player to another" type mechanic?

Gloomhaven.

#645 4 years ago

I am a pinhead who has a pretty massive board game collection – both classic and EURO. I have been working on designing a board game about the wide spectrum of the pinball hobby: collecting pins, buying/selling and trading pins, putting pins in a games room, modding and restoring pins and even routing pins on location! The board game’s audience would be pinheads and try to capture our love of all things pinball.

As far as board games being used as themes for a pinball, I know there’s Monopoly. But, in my opinion, it fails the capture the best part of Monopoly – making real estate trades with other players. If I was to have designed Monopoly – this would have to have been in there… maybe a ramp shot that lets you decide whether you want to trade for New York Avenue to complete a monopoly?

There’s also RollerCoaster Tycoon – which is based on a video game (which also has a boardgame). Again, it fails to capture the best part of that video game – the part where you feel like you are actually designing a theme park and watching the cash roll in when you finally build a state-of-the-art thrill ride and reach a certain number of guests!

For more recent board games, my two favorites are Agricola and Terra Mystica.

Who wants to play a pinball about farming (Agricola)?

Terra Mystica, on the other hand, would be absolutely amazing. And, with its 14 factions (ranging from Mermaids to Giants), Cult tracks, and many paths to victory – there would be no shortage of content to work with!

#646 4 years ago

I have a pinball card game but haven’t punched it yet. Pinball collecting could work in a Wingspan type of format.

#647 4 years ago

I think fireball island would translate well into a pinball machine.

1 week later
#648 4 years ago

We live in a golden age of board games with so many amazing titles, designers, and publishers and yet this exists...

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 8.27.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-26 at 8.27.15 AM (resized).png

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I think fireball island would translate well into a pinball machine.

Perhaps it would make a better pinball machine then a board game. I thought it was pretty bad.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Perhaps it would make a better pinball machine then a board game. I thought it was pretty bad.

The rules are weird on fireball island. With a few house rule changes. It’s great for us to play with our little one as a co-op style game.

There are 1,466 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.