800x600-thematic_games-ARTG019-the_thing-mockup (resized).jpg
718AYbKcKhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
FeatureFilm_CampHappyTrails (resized).jpg
P1040651 (resized).JPG
9089330137548507368 (resized).jpg
20230813_194211 (resized).jpg
Mr President (resized).jpg
20230715_082913 (resized).jpg

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 30.
#501 5 years ago

You're missing Pandemic - great co-op game.

I love Mansions of Madness 2nd edition - great co-op horror game that ties into the app extremely well.

Carcassonne and Kingdomino are two fun, easy to learn games.

I love love Dead of Winter.

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

You're missing Pandemic - great co-op game.
I love Mansions of Madness 2nd edition - great co-op horror game that ties into the app extremely well.
Carcassonne and Kingdomino are two fun, easy to learn games.
I love love Dead of Winter.

cool, i'll check those out. I've played carcassonne and I am familiar with pandemic but never played.

Everytime I see your avatar I miss Ron and Fez...Sad...

#503 5 years ago

Damn you guys!
Fell down the rabbit hole as well.
Bought Azul, Pandemic, Terraforming Mars and Arkham Horror the Card Game all in one week.
And guess what, you can mod them...

Arkham Horror Rabbit Hole (resized).JPGArkham Horror Rabbit Hole (resized).JPG
#504 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Anyone ever play Weapons and Warriors? That was a pretty cool game when I was a kid. Not sure if it holds up..
[quoted image]

I have several sets of that. With a bunch of expansions. I spray painted one of the guys gold so each team has a leader. If you lose your leader, you lose a dice when it comes to rolling for shot count. made the game a little more exciting.

#505 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Looking for some board games to get my wife for xmas. Gloomhaven and Scythe are mentioned a lot. A good avenue to go? We have Settlers of Catan, Smallworld, ticket to ride, dominion, splendor, 7 wonders. a few others. Seems like gloomhaven and Scythe are a bit different from that set?

Scythe is closer to the other games you mentioned in that it's mostly a resource placement game, but with mech eye candy and great art. It's my wife's favorite.

Gloomhaven is as much of a commitment as a game. If want to play D&D light without a DM for a couple hundred hours, Gloomhaven is amazing. (truly)

I would recommend Pandemic Legacy Season 1. It's more engaging than your favorite novel, but wrapped up in an easy to learn and constantly changing, cooperative, exciting, challenging board game.

#506 5 years ago
IMG_20181127_1953395.jpgIMG_20181127_1953395.jpgIMG_20181127_1953480.jpgIMG_20181127_1953480.jpg
#507 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Looking for some board games to get my wife for xmas. Gloomhaven and Scythe are mentioned a lot. A good avenue to go? We have Settlers of Catan, Smallworld, ticket to ride, dominion, splendor, 7 wonders. a few others. Seems like gloomhaven and Scythe are a bit different from that set?

I think it's worth pointing out that most of the games you have listed are rather simple. They are all on the Family Game list on Board Game Geek. My group struggles when I bring anything to the table that's rated higher then a medium (3.0), in terms of the complexity rating. Both Gloomhaven and Scythe would be a decent jump up in complexity. If your wife finds the games you are playing way too simple then I think they would be good choice, but personally I'd look for something closer to a 2.75 as your next step game. It's a long link, but here is a custom search on Board Game Geek setup to difficulty between a 2.5 and 3.0 and play time under 90 minutes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsearch=1&q=&include%5Bdesignerid%5D=&include%5Bpublisherid%5D=&geekitemname=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bminage%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bnumvoters%5D%5Bmin%5D=50&range%5Bnumweights%5D%5Bmin%5D=10&range%5Bminplayers%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bmaxplayers%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bleastplaytime%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bplaytime%5D%5Bmax%5D=90&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmin%5D=6.5&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmax%5D=10&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmin%5D=2.5&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmax%5D=3.0&colfiltertype=&searchuser=lpeters82&playerrangetype=normal&B1=Submit

Similar search if you are looking for more games around the same complexity as you already have...

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsearch=1&q=&include%5Bdesignerid%5D=&include%5Bpublisherid%5D=&geekitemname=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bminage%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bnumvoters%5D%5Bmin%5D=50&range%5Bnumweights%5D%5Bmin%5D=10&range%5Bminplayers%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bmaxplayers%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bleastplaytime%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bplaytime%5D%5Bmax%5D=90&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmin%5D=6.5&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmax%5D=10&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmin%5D=1.5&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmax%5D=2.5&colfiltertype=&searchuser=lpeters82&playerrangetype=normal&B1=Submit

#508 5 years ago

If wife game means two player game I would highly recommend 7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

And guess what, you can mod them...

This is all we really want isn't it?

#510 5 years ago

I second 7 Wonders Duel as a two player game. I own, but have not yet opened Patchwork. I would also add Santorini to my two player list. Simple abstract game that was made better with the newly designed components. Another consideration, would be be to add expansions to some of the games you already own. I have the 7 Wonders expansions on my wishlist.

PS: Totally unrelated, but I'd like to find a small Pitchcar lot if anyone is considering selling. It also looks like they might be offering the base game for sale with the new "The Loop" expansion. If that happens, maybe a few of us could go in together and buy a larger package lot and divide it up at a show. PM me if that would be of interest to someone. I'd be mostly interested in a base game and maybe 1-2 expansions.

#511 5 years ago

I just added The River from Days of Wonder to our family list. Only have several games in but everybody is hooked. Easy to explain and learn.

#512 5 years ago

I've got 7 year old twins, so most of my recent additions have been games that we can play as a family. Picked up Kingdomino and Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters with the recent sales from Target.

#513 5 years ago

If you like dominion, get Ascension. It's better.

#514 5 years ago

My family and I are just getting into board gaming. Last xmas we got ticket to ride and mysterioum.

For xmas this year we already got
Western legends
Marvel legacy
Pandemic
King of Tokyo
Clank
Zombicide

I real want to add 7th continent but it's so damn expensive

#515 5 years ago

Get the original Fireball Island!

Quoted from tdiddy:

My family and I are just getting into board gaming. Last xmas we got ticket to ride and mysterioum.
Western legends
Marvel legacy
Pandemic
King of Tokyo
Clank
Zombicide

#516 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Our place were we play league is a comic/board game shop. He has the new kickstart game.....I was tempted because on black Friday all board games were buy 2 get 1 free

#517 5 years ago

My wife also doesn't like overly complex games such as worker placement. But she loves gloomhaven. Once you figure out the basic mechanics it really isn't that hard. I do all the thinking and move the monsters. It just is a pain to set up and take down unless you have a dedicated table for it

#518 5 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Western legends
Marvel legacy
Pandemic
King of Tokyo
Clank
Zombicide

My family loves Clank! Super easy to learn deck building game. King of Tokyo & Zombicide are fun as well. Several neat add-ons available for Zombicide too.

#519 5 years ago

I want to buy my kids Fireball Island for Christmas, I want just the basic game without expansion packs. Is there a good place to buy it? I noticed a seller on EBay selling for just under $100-is that a good deal? Thanks

#520 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I want to buy my kids Fireball Island for Christmas, I want just the basic game without expansion packs. Is there a good place to buy it? I noticed a seller on EBay selling for just under $100-is that a good deal? Thanks

Some Barnes & Noble stores have them in store for $74.95

Good choice for a family Christmas gift. The game is a lot of fun.

#521 5 years ago

In case anyone in the Philadelphia area didn't know, PAX Unplugged is happening this weekend.
http://unplugged.paxsite.com

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I think you should consider “Orleans” for your wife. It’s a great Euro, super easy to learn but lots of choices in the game. It’s a “bag builder” game where you are pulling out different workers from your bag and placing them on different actions on your board. It’s my wife’s favorite game and we have played it the most of all of our games.

#523 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You can always add expansions packs later but imo they add quite a bit to the game.
I would add Last Adventurer at the very least.

#524 5 years ago

I didn't order any of the expansion for Fireball Island. Can you go into a bit more detail about what each adds to the game, perhaps including the treasure trove cards. I should state that I don't know anything about the original game. I have zero nostalgia for it. I bought it thinking it would be a light family game with a cool "toy like" feature. To be honest, I think that "toy like" feature is the main selling point. Does it really hold up as a game beyond that? I guess that was the reason I decided not to order all the the expansions. I thought it might be best to just keep it simple.

#525 5 years ago

Sure,

So we started with the base game. It took a few games to figure out the rules as it is quite different than the original.
After we’ve learned the rules games have been about 45min to 1.5 hours per game.

So far we’ve played it on three different nights each night we’ve added an expansion.

Last adventure adds player abilities (such as cave warp, move an extra space, etc), a boulder, and snakes. The snakes are small marbles that add to the mayhem.
And it also adds the ability to play with a fifth player.

Tigers and bees, adds each of those as well. Bees are ten small marbles that gets poured into the head. Tiger is a flipping plastic.

Each expansion increases dangers on the island, while not adding too many rules but it also adds cards to the deck.

Despite the small flaws, thin plastic board and a shitty box, it has been a lot of fun.
Each of the expansions is like $15-$20. For the price I recommend those two.

Haven’t added the boat yet but looking forward to it.

#526 5 years ago

Is there a way to simplify further and reduce the playtime for playing with kids? Is there perhaps a set of rules that returns it to the original kids game? Could you print off a set of the original cards from ArtsCow and play the original game, or are the other components too different? Perhaps there could even be some custom cards i the original style that would better interact with the new board.

Original Cards:
http://www.artscow.com/share/l96tyn2127x1

#527 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Is there a way to simplify further and reduce the playtime for playing with kids? Is there perhaps a set of rules that returns it to the original kids game? Could you print off a set of the original cards from ArtsCow and play the original game, or are the other components too different? Perhaps there could even be some custom cards i the original style that would better interact with the new board.
Original Cards:
http://www.artscow.com/share/l96tyn2127x1

No, this is no where near as easy/friendly as original. The original rules don’t really work with the board.

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Some Barnes & Noble stores have them in store for $74.95
Good choice for a family Christmas gift. The game is a lot of fun.

Just purchased, the kids will love it. Thank You

We will get our feet wet with gameplay and then look into different expansion packs.

Link for sale:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-fireball-island-the-curse-of-vul-kar/32481566?ean=0867825000338

#529 5 years ago

Our Fireball games have barely hit the 45 minute mark each time we've played. We played pretty much the base game with a few of the treasure trove cards tossed in. Going to add the T-shirt powers next from the last adventurer and probably the flipping tiger from the bees expansion. I cannot wait for a proper storage solution.
Just picked up the new Azul - Stained glass version and I think we like it more than the original. It may be the shiny newness of it all, but I do like a few added options like being able to "pass" a turn, and also not a huge serious punishment for getting more tiles of a type than needed. They did well with this follow up. For those that say it's just a mashup of Sagrada and Azul, it's definitely not. It's more of a progression of the Azul formula.

#530 5 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I wound up going with Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror. So many awesome choices and i'll probably buy more later. Gloomhaven looks awesome, but may not be my wifes cup of tea? I wasn't sure. We play magic, so I thought it might transition well, but i'll see how we do with these and then decide. Scythe / Orleans looked cool too, but wanted to try something different that what I have. Just too many fun things...

#531 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I wound up going with Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror. So many awesome choices and i'll probably buy more later. Gloomhaven looks awesome, but may not be my wifes cup of tea? I wasn't sure. We play magic, so I thought it might transition well, but i'll see how we do with these and then decide. Scythe / Orleans looked cool too, but wanted to try something different that what I have. Just too many fun things...

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 is a good step up game. My suggestion if you haven't played regular Pandemic, would be to play the "practice game" many times before jumping into the legacy stuff. With that you're basically playing regular Pandemic. Once you start with the legacy stuff, it's a one way trip. I keep the box for about a year, but finally tossed it when I was certain it wouldn't be needed for Season 2.

#532 5 years ago

Speaking of Magic...

I've played a lot of trading card type games over the years - SWCCG, Magic, WOW, Xwing...

They all have the same flaw - it's difficult to match up with others in a competitive way. Someone always seems to be outmatched by newer (or more expensive) cards.

Are there any standalone games that capture the type of deck building strategy that the collectible games have, without their inherent imbalance? It seems like Gloomhaven may be that type of game? Are there others?

#533 5 years ago

Speaking of Magic...
I've played a lot of trading card type games over the years - SWCCG, Magic, WOW, Xwing...
They all have the same flaw - it's difficult to match up with others in a competitive way. Someone always seems to be outmatched by newer (or more expensive) cards.
Are there any standalone games that capture the type of deck building strategy that the collectible games have, without their inherent imbalance? It seems like Gloomhaven may be that type of game? Are there others?

I've done it with WOW TCG. But we don't deck build. I have every character class preconstructed with one for ally one for hoard. So when we decide to play. We each grab a character box and decide what faction to play. Which ever deck loses, gets to trade one card out of the deck for another card out of the boxes of the same type. So if it's a armor piece, swap with another armor piece out of the stash. So far all the decks are very evenly balanced. Makes it easy to start a game since everything is ready to go and we can play any number of people, since there are like 12 character classes.

#534 5 years ago

Ironically Richard Garfield of MTG fame has a hot new card game out, Keyforge. I think we mentioned it in this thread earlier. No deck building at all, each deck is unique and you play it right out of the box. Really fun, addictive twist on the card dueling front. 36 card decks, 12 each of 3 random classes (out of 7 total) They all seem to have the familiar formulas, deck burning, creatures, controlling creatures, direct damage, increasing costs for opponent, hand size manipulation. Don't really need the starter set, the manual is online. And also I'm sure board gamers have plenty of counters around to use. Just buy 2 original decks and go.

#535 5 years ago

For MTG, I tried to create what I'd describe as "classic decks" to battle against each other. Probably frownd upon, but I just had everything printed using proxies. Another thought was to create a drafting cube, but when it comes down to it I think at that point there are better drafting games. I really enjoyed the game in the early 90s, but at a certain point it just turned into who has the most money (or even who had access to the internet). I think it was about in 1996 when I first played a Stasis deck. That was the beginning of the end of my enjoyment of MTG.

#536 5 years ago

My wife and I have been enjoying Arkham horror 3rd edition. Betrayal legacy just came in the mail today, so when ah gets stale we will switch to that.

#537 5 years ago

Has anyone played the Magic Labyrinth? Saw it in the store. Looks interesting and it won a bunch of awards. Gonna play it with kids if I get it.

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Has anyone played the Magic Labyrinth? Saw it in the store. Looks interesting and it won a bunch of awards. Gonna play it with kids if I get it.

Nothing beats the original Labyrinth!! It's simple yet incredibly tough (especially with 4 players)

I've had it since the 80's and still play it to this day

https://www.amazon.ca/Ravensburger-26448-Labyrinth-Family-Game/dp/B00000J0JF/ref=asc_df_B00000J0JF/

#539 5 years ago

I saw labyrinth in the goodwill for like $3 the other day. Maybe I'll go back and see if it's still there.

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Nothing beats the original Labyrinth!! It's simple yet incredibly tough (especially with 4 players)
I've had it since the 80's and still play it to this day

It's fun!

Speaking of Magic...

I'll go back to the well with Ascension. You dont battle each other directly but it's good.

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Great game, used to play it with my kids.

#542 5 years ago

All of these board games and Aquire has not been mentioned.

Short game times. 1 hour or so per game

il_340x270.1614984238_8i9q (resized).jpgil_340x270.1614984238_8i9q (resized).jpg images-1 (resized).jpgimages-1 (resized).jpg

#543 5 years ago

Got this from Poland ..I had totally forgotten about this Kickstarter.

received_1167089210124754 (resized).jpegreceived_1167089210124754 (resized).jpeg
#544 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I saw labyrinth in the goodwill for like $3 the other day. Maybe I'll go back and see if it's still there.

The game wasn't a big hit with my family. Played it once and have yet to play it a second time. Not sure it will be staying in our collection for much longer.

#545 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It's a classic, absolutely worth the $3.

#546 5 years ago

Has anyone played Dragonfire? I'm looking for a deck building legacy game and this seems to fit the bill.

#547 5 years ago

Looking forward to the arrival of Crypt.

#548 5 years ago

Anybody in on Tainted Grail?

#549 5 years ago

Yes. I was on right from the start watching and was unbelievable how fast the numbers went up.

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Anybody in on Tainted Grail?

Interesting, looks like a gritty version of 7th continent. Too many games and not enough time.

There are 1,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there/page/11?hl=jester523 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.