• Latest reply 7 years ago by Rody
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

I'm taking a short break from pinball tinkering to get this Brass cash register restored. It's been on my to-do list for 4 years now. I'm excited to get her done. I'm going to mirror polish the bronze case but I don't want the maintenance. To keep it shiny it needs to be cleaned with brasso once a week...... forever. No thank you. My plan was to use the 2k rattle cans to clear it but I read that I shouldn't. Lots of sources online say I should not put a lacquer clear on antique brass but no one ever says why. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Does 2k clear have any lacquer in it? Know a better way to keep the shine? I'm all ears.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The brass substrate will continue to oxidize beneath the clear.

#3 7 years ago

Never messed with it but my first instinct would be to polish and then wax which should keep the shine

-Jeff

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

The brass substrate will continue to oxidize beneath the clear.

Why is this? Is the clear porous allowing air to reach the metal? Does the clear itself oxidize the brass? I don't disagree with you. I keep reading the same thing but I can't seem to find out why.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Never messed with it but my first instinct would be to polish and then wax which should keep the shine
-Jeff

A regular waxing will also be a never ending pita. Getting the wax out of all the nooks and crannies is not how I want to spend my time. I'm looking for a no to very little maintenance solution.
Id also like to know how the brass will continue to oxidize while covered with a 2pac.

#6 7 years ago

Ive had insane success with this product on brass, copper, gold, silver, aluminum, playfields...

Its a self leveling, self evaporative coating that cleans with alcohol

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/#gsc.tab=0

#7 7 years ago

Polished brass has no mechanical tooth for urethane clear to adhere to, therefore it is subject to separation from the substrate, which then leads to oxidation, or clouding. I use ceramic, air dry clear, from Cerakote, for all polished metal products coming out of the paint booth. Ceramic particles do a better job of adhearing at the molecular level to polished metals than a standard urethane clear will.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/antique-bronze-clear-coat-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.