Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Phoog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have seen lots of post about anti-glare glass made by several companies. I was intrigued when it came out but the price was crazy. Something 6-8 times as much.

I have seen it online and it looks great but does it really look great and do you really need it? I have 1 machine out of 16 that I have a glare problem and that Shadow on the mini PF. All other machines adding more lights and spots help brighten the PF even if glare is not a problem.

Some have purchased the anti-glare and in all honesty is it that much better. Taking away the biased opinion of those who shelled out for it.
    (sometimes when you pay a lot for something you are subconsciously biased to like it more to justify the cost)

Is this one product you have to see in person and is a must have or a nice to have, or over hype?

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

... does it really look great?

Yes.

Quoted from Slate:

... do you really need it?

No, it is a luxury item.

Quoted from Slate:

Some have purchased the anti-glare and in all honesty is it that much better.

Yes.

Quoted from Slate:

Is this one product you have to see in person?

Yes. I have never seen photos that do the product justice. The only way to fully appreciate it is to see it with your own eyes.

#3 11 years ago

If the glare bothers you that much, cant you buy a pair of "polarised" sunglasses
    to play in........and take them wherever your "pinball adventures" may lead?

thats "antiglare" everywhere........

anglers, shooters & drivers have their special glasses, so why not pinheads???

seems a very simple, cost effective purchase that goes where you do and keeps
    your gameplay environment consistent

DR

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from devil_rider:

If the glare bothers you that much, cant you buy a pair of "polarised" sunglasses
    to play in........and take them wherever your "pinball adventures" may lead?
    thats "antiglare" everywhere........
    anglers, shooters & drivers have their special glasses, so why not pinheads???
    seems a very simple, cost effective purchase that goes where you do and keeps
    your gameplay environment consistent
    DR

I think glare glasses are intended to reduce the sun glare from water, etc in your eyes thus preventing from squinting.

Just a shame the pin glass is so much.

If they have to make the glass special or do they coat it. if they coat it why is it so much.
    If they make special glass why can you not clean it with Windex. Its that fragile?

#5 11 years ago

The anti glare glass not only eliminates most glare, but it somehow makes all the colors in your game "pop". Its like looking at a brand new game when you have it sitting next to a game without it. In fact, if you do a fresh cleanup on a piece of regular glass and put it in a game next to the anti glare glass equipped game you will swear that your regular glass is still dirty...and I'm not talking about reflection. This stuff somehow brightens up and sharpens everything.
    The problem is once you install it in one game you want it in all of them.

#6 11 years ago

I don't have any types of anti glare glass and have been contemplating getting some despite the price. That said, I went to a fellow pinsiders house the other week and he had both PDI and invisglass on most his machines and they looked amazing! The glass is a little pricey but the difference is night and day. I plan to get some for my games now. Also, I couldn't notice a difference between PDI and invisglass but those games weren't side by side.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I think glare glasses are intended to reduce the sun glare from water, etc in your eyes thus preventing from squinting.

Polaroid film allows transmission of "incident light from the subject" though to your eye
    and cuts out "glare" which has not originated at the source.

Thats why it reduces the sun glare off water and may well have a similar effect cutting out
    the BG / DMD / overhead lighting "glare" reflected off the PF glass giving you a better
    "cleaner" view of the PF and more vibrant true color definition

Has anyone tried playing in "polaroid" glasses? or similarly had a piece of PG glass anti glare
    film tinted by a Car Tint company?

I also think the glass composition has something to do with the color appearance as "lead free"
    glass is "clear" as opposed to normal glass with a slight "green" look

#8 11 years ago

I have one sheet of PDI on my MM. I could justify the price tag for an expensive machine. If I had the money I would put it on every machine.

For value added expensive mods I would put it well above adding a shaker and likely below the colordmd (I have not seen one in person yet but the videos alone are amazing).

#9 11 years ago

I also have a single sheet of PDI on a machine - TZ. Looks (or lack thereof) awesome.

How long until we just have a force-field generator that slides into the glass channels? C'mon! Hurry up!

#10 11 years ago

The stuff is good but i just cant justify it for all my pins. On the subject of "alternatives" have you tried the glare guards Mr.68 sells? They are on all my pins and even my TZ with anti-glare glass... essential IMHO.

http://www.wrongcrowdproductions.com/glareGuard.htm

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don't have any types of anti glare glass and have been contemplating getting some despite the price. That said, I went to a fellow pinsiders house the other week and he had both PDI and invisglass on most his machines and they looked amazing! The glass is a little pricey but the difference is night and day. I plan to get some for my games now. Also, I couldn't notice a difference between PDI and invisglass but those games weren't side by side.

Glad you liked what you saw!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Eskaybee said:I don't have any types of anti glare glass and have been contemplating getting some despite the price. That said, I went to a fellow pinsiders house the other week and he had both PDI and invisglass on most his machines and they looked amazing! The glass is a little pricey but the difference is night and day. I plan to get some for my games now. Also, I couldn't notice a difference between PDI and invisglass but those games weren't side by side.
    Glad you liked what you saw!

sure did, your games look amazing rob!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

On the subject of "alternatives" have you tried the glare guards Mr.68 sells? They are on all my pins and even my TZ with anti-glare glass... essential IMHO.

+1

PDI/Invisiglass is awesome, but contrary to popular belief, it does not eliminate reflections from the DMD or translite. Kim's glare guards are still needed, and they are a great product.

#14 11 years ago

I was lucky and got in on the $150 Invisiglass. This glass IS cool! Makes a BIG difference. It is best to see in person. At my house everybody does the same thing...they gotta touch it! (always good to have a rag handy!) I think once, if ever, the price point is $150, it will be on almost everybodys machines....

#15 11 years ago

It does make a difference and it is amazing. But as others have said, don't expect it to get rid of all glare. You'll still see some from the backbox and DMD, and if you have any overhead lights that glare right on the playfield, you'll still see them. But if you have good illumination on the game, it really does look like there is no glass installed.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I think once, if ever, the price point is $150, it will be on almost everybodys machines.... [8)]

Make that $50-75, then maybe on almost everyone's, maybe.

#17 11 years ago

PDI and Invisi-glass is like 1080p High definition, regular glass is like viewing a 720p t.v. or less. I figure if you have a high end pin, then why not cap it off with some expensive glass, like the final touch to the restore. A regular player pin well you can get by with just regular tempered glass as its not "show quality". New sheet of glass period on a pin makes a difference whether it's the invisi glass/PDI or just reg. standard tempered glass.

#18 11 years ago

The beauty of investing in PDI type glass upgrades is that you can move it from machine to machine and keep it when you sell your pins. It's probably the best mod you can get for a pin. Warning though, once you have it on one machine it won't be long before you have it on all.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

On the subject of "alternatives" have you tried the glare guards Mr.68 sells? They are on all my pins and even my TZ with anti-glare glass... essential IMHO.

Quoted from gweempose:

PDI/Invisiglass is awesome, but contrary to popular belief, it does not eliminate reflections from the DMD or translite. Kim's glare guards are still needed, and they are a great product.

Yep, have em on all my pins, including the ones with PDI/InvisiGlass.

#20 11 years ago

There is always that price point that breaks the market.

To me $350+ for a sheet will sell to a limited market. $125-150 I would buy for all my machines.
    not sure the case here but generally volume desipte lower sales price equals higer profits due to volume.

#21 11 years ago

i'm having a really big glare problem on my south park pin...there's so much white in the translite that the glare from it makes the top 1/3rd of the playfield hard as hell to see.

is there anything i can do to cut that glare out? preferably without breaking the bank.

thanks.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i'm having a really big glare problem on my South Park pin...there's so much white in the translite that the glare from it makes the top 1/3rd of the playfield hard as hell to see.
    is there anything i can do to cut that glare out? preferably without breaking the bank.
    thanks.

Yes. Go to a hobby store and buy a roll of amber colored cellophane and wrap a couple of layers around the florescent tube. Add more layers if needed to suit your taste or even use a different color if you like. Some day I'd like to try gray if they have it. However I recommend the amber.

Or disconnect the florescent tube completely which I've done many times for the perfect solution.

Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1099&parent=0

#23 11 years ago

To me, if I'm going to spend 5k-10k on a pin.....I'm spending an extra 300 for the Invisglass, imho, the best mod you can have...

#24 11 years ago

I have a sheet of Invisiglass. It is really nice. One of my buddies was over tonight and could not believe how clear it looked.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

Warning though, once you have it on one machine it won't be long before you have it on all.

This is true. I went in with a buddy I met on pinside and bought a couple sheets during the buy one get another half off event . . . ours haven't even been shipped yet but from seeing the photos I have to keep stopping myself from calling Jack and asking if he can get me two more sheets ordered and delivered for my other machines...

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

i'm having a really big glare problem on my South Park pin...there's so much white in the translite that the glare from it makes the top 1/3rd of the playfield hard as hell to see.
    thanks.

I use one piece of gorilla or duct tape. Put it across the bulb and do t curl it around the back side. Dims it enough to eliminate the glare. It keep the backbox lit.

2 months later
    #27 11 years ago

I had the same problem so I put a black light bulb in mine.

#28 11 years ago

Worth every penny.... The alternative would be to take the glass off....

#29 11 years ago

Agreed - haven't seen Invisiglass in person, but PDI glass is amazing!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stephbm6:

I had the same problem so I put a black light bulb in mine.

I've done that also with varying degrees of success, game dependent . Thanks for reminding me as I need to try it on a friends game.

Kim

#31 11 years ago

pinballglass.com has an alternative

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anti-glare-glass-worth-it-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.