(Topic ID: 206255)

Anti glare glass

By Hdmike444

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STLE #1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1341 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1338 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1339 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1340 (resized).jpg
    D6A7FBB5-60A1-4577-B638-57FA16DE234D (resized).png
    47B64E55-60A0-4737-BE6D-0F1C0527D8C3 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5881.JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi all,
    Has anyone bought the stern HD glass? How does it compare to invisiglass or PDI on a side by side? I want something for my MMr, it really is hard to see the upper playfield with the backglass reflection, the dmd is fine( I actually have the bent plastic but I don’t need it for that).
    I want to buy something but unsure if the price difference for the stern is worth it, but any savings is good.
    Thx all

#2 6 years ago

This is my MMR with Stern HD Glass and Bent Plastic. The Bent Plastic blocks the speaker light while playings ignore that. The Stern HD Glass helps with the backbox glare, but it's still there just not as noticeable.....

IMG_5881.JPGIMG_5881.JPG

#3 6 years ago

I think JJP Invisiglass is far superior to both of the other options mentioned. Also for me i can pick up which substantially helps with the shippings costs

#4 6 years ago

I like PDI the best. I have trouble getting invisiglass clean and the sanded edges on PDI are a nice touch.

#5 6 years ago

I think PDI glass is better, but they all work pretty well actually. PDI with shipping is more expensive than Stern especially if you can pick a sheet up at your distro, so there is a big bonus for the price / convenience there. How I rate them (our of 100): PDI = 95 / Invisiglass = 90 / Stern = 85.

The impact on glass will vary dramatically depending on the room and lighting in it.

It sucks that the USA is locked down to one distribution point for the Roman (PDI) glass. I thought he was looking at additional distributors?

#6 6 years ago

I have had both PDI and Invisiglass right next to each other and could not tell a difference AT ALL (nether could anyone else I showed). They both look fantastic on a pin and make them pop. That said, I give the edge to Invisiglass due to the following:

1. Customer service. Jen is awesome and usually has some great deals if you buy more than 1 sheet.

2. Packaging. PDI packaging and the damn popcorn peanuts...they suck and make a huge mess!

3. Invisiglass is made is the USA. Not a game changer for me, but definitely a plus!

My $.02

#7 6 years ago

A few years ago Pinball News did an analysis comparing PDI glass vs Invisiglass. This was their conclusion:

“Our impression going into these tests was that Invisiglass and Roman's/PDI glass were broadly comparable in their reflection-reducing capabilities. However, these results show how Roman's/PDI glass performed significantly better in these particular tests.”

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html

#8 6 years ago

I wish I could pick a sheet up I would do it today! If anyone near me wants to go in on a couple sheets to save $$ let me know.
    I am leaning towards invisiglass but am open to pdi as well, it seems that the stern is not quite as good.

Quoted from AUKraut:

This is my MMR with Stern HD Glass and Bent Plastic. The Bent Plastic blocks the speaker light while playings ignore that. The Stern HD Glass helps with the backbox glare, but it's still there just not as noticeable.....

On a side note, I see you added a couple more spots, I bought some to do the same where did you wire them to? And what is the blue in the back? A led strip? If so how is that wired?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

A few years ago Pinball News did an analysis comparing PDI glass vs Invisiglass. This was their conclusion:
    “Our impression going into these tests was that Invisiglass and Roman's/PDI glass were broadly comparable in their reflection-reducing capabilities. However, these results show how Roman's/PDI glass performed significantly better in these particular tests.”
    http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html

Thx for that

#10 6 years ago

While I do not have any experience with Stern's HD I do have several sheets of PDI and one of Invisiglass. I have changed them up on numerous machines and PDI is the clear winner. No pun intended. We all have different lighting setups and in my situation PDI just seems to do the best job. Last night a guest almost put his hand through one because he didn't realize it was on. He was pretty embarrassed but we both had a good laugh. I would put them on every machine if the price was friendlier.

#11 6 years ago

Have all 3 and they all work very similar in my house ......

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hdmike444:

On a side note, I see you added a couple more spots, I bought some to do the same where did you wire them to? And what is the blue in the back? A led strip? If so how is that wired?

The spots are soldered to the GI sockets under the slingshots.

The blue in the back is from a short LED strip of Blue LEDs from Comet, cut down to either 3 or 4 LEDs. I wanted the lightning on the backboard to be subtle lit up and not overpowered. I have them mounted to the inside edge of the lower cabinet where the wire harness comes thru. Ran a long 2 conductor cable with male/female connectors from that strip along the existing wiring harness to the back bottom of the playfield to a GI bulb socket behind the castle, where it is once again soldered. Here is a link to the strip:

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm

#13 6 years ago

PDI and I would guess Invisiglass probably go through a more thorough QC process than Sterns do - so would guess you’re kind of getting the luck of the draw if you go with Stern. This would explain why some can’t tell the difference and to others there is a huge disparity. Also different room lighting obviously. But there’s no doubt they all are superior to regular glass...

1 week later
    #14 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I like PDI the best. I have trouble getting invisiglass clean and the sanded edges on PDI are a nice touch.

Got some Invisiglass today - looks like they now have sanded edges as well.

47B64E55-60A0-4737-BE6D-0F1C0527D8C3 (resized).jpeg47B64E55-60A0-4737-BE6D-0F1C0527D8C3 (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

Anyone ever try this spray wax ? it leaves a coating on the glass and works extremely well poor mans invisglass but it works spray on both sides

D6A7FBB5-60A1-4577-B638-57FA16DE234D (resized).pngD6A7FBB5-60A1-4577-B638-57FA16DE234D (resized).png

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

Anyone ever try this spray wax ? it leaves a coating on the glass and works extremely well poor mans invisglass but it works spray on both sides

You tried a spray wax on glass?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

wait have you actually tried this?

Judging from comparison pics, they all look the same to me.

#19 6 years ago

I have both PDI and Invisiglass...both are great products, but in my environment I see zero difference. My last two sheets of Invisiglass had sanded edges so it sounds like they are now sanding the edges, which is nice. I think their both the same price? I have not tried Stern glass, but from what I understand they are quite a bit cheaper....

#20 6 years ago

Has anyone tried a press on anti glare film like for a computer screen, or hand held device?

#21 6 years ago

And Magic Glass (Houdini) will be available soon....

#22 6 years ago

I went a different route with my machines. Since I like to do the Flipper Fidelity animated led panels on all my games, I fabricated a bracket and wired in a push on/push off switch that you activate by pressing the right side coin return button. The bracket is held on by the same factory thumbscrews that hold the coin mechs and the the switch is wired into the plug and play harness that comes with the Flipper Fidelity kit so it is a completely reversible mod.

Now I just turn off the back-glass lighting all together when I play. Its easy for anyone to do (or undo) and you don't have to open the coin door or make any other modifications to the machine. Makes a HUGE difference having zero glare. I didn't realize how much of the playfield I was used to not being able to see on each game.

I had piece of PDI glass and was not thrilled with the results since it only reduces the glare... sold it the very next day. In all fairness, the new owner seemed to be "okay" with it.

IMG_1340 (resized).jpgIMG_1340 (resized).jpg

IMG_1339 (resized).jpgIMG_1339 (resized).jpg

IMG_1338 (resized).jpgIMG_1338 (resized).jpg

IMG_1341 (resized).jpgIMG_1341 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

Question to those that have invisiglass. What is the best product to clean it with? You can’t use just a standard windex correct? Anyone have a recommendation?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from venom112:

Question to those that have invisiglass. What is the best product to clean it with? You can’t use just a standard windex correct? Anyone have a recommendation?

anything that does not contain ammonia. natural/green glass cleaners, a mix of alcohol & water, etc

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

While I do not have any experience with Stern's HD I do have several sheets of PDI and one of Invisiglass. I have changed them up on numerous machines and PDI is the clear winner. No pun intended. We all have different lighting setups and in my situation PDI just seems to do the best job. Last night a guest almost put his hand through one because he didn't realize it was on. He was pretty embarrassed but we both had a good laugh. I would put them on every machine if the price was friendlier.

I read over the years on Pinside that the anti-glare glass does not work very well in lights out / Total Dark . That is how I play in the Dark 90% of the time . I sent STERN a very specific question regarding there glass in a Dark room I got no reply . Please help me regarding your Lights Out experience with the Anti- Glare glass in the Dark . Thank You .

STLE #1 (resized).jpgSTLE #1 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I read over the years on Pinside that the anti-glare glass does not work very well in lights out / Total Dark . That is how I play in the Dark 90% of the time . I sent STERN a very specific question regarding there glass in a Dark room I got no reply . Please help me regarding your Lights Out experience with the Anti- Glare glass in the Dark . Thank You .

I play in the dark most the time and antiglare glass really helps alot imo. Cant stand playing games without it now.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

wait have you actually tried this?
    Judging from comparison pics, they all look the same to me.

Yes ive tryed it works great

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

You tried a spray wax on glass?

Yes spray wax on glass makes it bling like theres no glass people use it on show cars it also works great on front windshields in the winter when it’s raining water just rolls off

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

Yes spray wax on glass makes it bling like theres no glass people use it on show cars it also works great on front windshields in the winter when it’s raining water just rolls off

I’m shocked this works

Quoted from RobKnapp:

I also play in mostly dark or low light which I think accentuates the backglass glare
    I did add a few more spots on the lower playfield and it made a huge difference though

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

And Magic Glass (Houdini) will be available soon....

What is the ETA on this?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

Yes ive tryed it works great

Damn I might need to try the product you linked. Imo this premium glass could be one of the most overpriced items in Pinball. Would love a good alternative.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

What is the ETA on this?

Still waiting....I think they said..."soon"

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Damn I might need to try the product you linked. Imo this premium glass could be one of the most overpriced items in Pinball. Would love a good alternative.

I disagree. Have you actually seen the glass on a machine in person?!? The pics online don’t come close to doing it justice. In my opinion, it is one of the best upgrades you can do AND you can almost always transfer to another pin if you want to. It sharpens the whole playfield, reduces glare, and allows you to track the ball better. I have had people almost put their hand through the glass numerous times because it looks like it isn’t there. Really is amazing.

It always cracks me up that people will pay hundreds of dollars for toppers, toys, shooter rods, rails, etc. that have little effect on gameplay, but think an upgrade that directly impacts gameplay is “overpriced”.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

It always cracks me up that people will pay hundreds of dollars for toppers, toys, shooter rods, rails, etc. that have little effect on gameplay, but think an upgrade that directly impacts gameplay is “overpriced”.

People don't want to pay for something they can't see

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

I disagree. Have you actually seen the glass on a machine in person?!? The pics online don’t come close to doing it justice. In my opinion, it is one of the best upgrades you can do AND you can almost always transfer to another pin if you want to. It sharpens the whole playfield, reduces glare, and allows you to track the ball better. I have had people almost put their hand through the glass numerous times because it looks like it isn’t there. Really is amazing.

Not only have I seen it in person, I own premium glass too. Next to my non prem glass (literally right next to it) - I wouldn't spend the money. No question about it. Maybe the lighting in my room is better who knows but from my experience it's not worth it (at these prices). Stern has my attention with their reduced pricing but if I can just buy a brand new VR headet for 230, something is wrong!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Not only have I seen it in person, I own premium glass too. Next to my non prem glass (literally right next to it) - I wouldn't spend the money. No question about it. Maybe the lighting in my room is better who knows but from my experience it's not worth it (at these prices). Stern has my attention with their reduced pricing but if I can just buy a brand new VR headet for 230, something is wrong!

Fascinating. I guess if everyone had the same opinion the world would be no fun

I would also say that JJP frequently runs a “buy one, get one half off” promotion - just call and ask! They also combine shipping, so it comes out around the same as Stern HD glass if you buy more than one!

2 years later
    #38 3 years ago

I’m using Sprayway glass cleaner which is what I was using anyway before I got two JJP’s with Invisaglass and it’s nice but hard to get all the streaks off

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I’m using Sprayway glass cleaner which is what I was using anyway before I got two JJP’s with Invisaglass and it’s nice but hard to get all the streaks off

Takes just a little extra rubbing sometimes. I've not figured out why sometimes it's fine and sometimes there are minor streaks. But they always come out with a little rubbing

#40 3 years ago

Now there is also Voodoo Glass, the new anti-glare player in this discussion.

3 weeks later
    #41 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Now there is also Voodoo Glass, the new anti-glare player in this discussion.

Does anyone know if the Voodoo glass is just as good as the others? I noticed Coin Taker is having a Black Friday sale on both the Invisiglass and Voodoo Glass. The 2 pack of Voodoo Glass is $25 cheaper over a 2 pack of Invisiglass which makes it tempting to try a couple of sheets.

#42 3 years ago

I have the voodoo, Invisiglass and Stern HD on games in a row. To me the Stern looks the best, with invisiglass second. They all seem about the same as far as glare/light reflection. But with the games off, the clarity of the Stern looks superior to the other two. It really looks like no glass is on the game.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I have the voodoo, Invisiglass and Stern HD on games in a row. To me the Stern looks the best, with invisiglass second. They all seem about the same as far as glare/light reflection. But with the games off, the clarity of the Stern looks superior to the other two. It really looks like no glass is on the game.

Thanks for the info. I rather pay a little extra for better results than try to save a few dollars. Nothing wrong is saving money but you usually get what you pay for.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

The reverse for me. I have Invisiglass, Stern glass, and AP’s Magic Glass. The magic glass looks like you described - As If no glass is on the game. Invisiglass too. The Stern glass (which is on my original MB and EHOH) has the most glare, but only just

So I guess they’re all pretty good!

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from venom112:

Non ammonia windex wipes

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The reverse for me. I have Invisiglass, Stern glass, and AP’s Magic Glass. The magic glass looks like you described - As If no glass is on the game. Invisiglass too. The Stern glass (which is on my original MB and EHOH) has the most glare, but only just
    So I guess they’re all pretty good!

Is it possible to have the glass the wrong side up? I’m not impressed with my SternHD glass.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Is it possible to have the glass the wrong side up? I’m not impressed with my SternHD glass.

Yes; I believe only PDI glass is treated in both sides. Invisiglass has a logo etched on the lower right corner to help you turn it the right way. I admit I’m not sure how to tell on the Stern glass. Try flipping it!

3 months later
    #48 3 years ago

I rescued this old thread to ask for some tips regarding my dilemma:
    I have stored my playfield glasses in such manner that I have not marked which ones are non-reflective and which are not. Any tips on how to recognize it when taking them out of the storage? Well, if it has the Stern sticker, its not reflective, but other than that, help is needed...

Answer to self: It seems that the lamps on the ceiling looked blue with the non-reflective glass, with normal glass their glare was normal (warm) white

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

It seems that the lamps on the ceiling looked blue with the non-reflective glass, with normal glass their glare was normal (warm) white

true.

1 year later
    #50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

[quoted image]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Anyone have before/after photos of this? Any spray wax work or are there specific products to look for?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anti-glare-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.