Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Why, why?
We all hurt sometimes.
2 big names this week. (poor Kate Spade as well)
Reach out, call a friend, post here.
Im struggling to understand, this sucks.
My heart goes out to his Friends and Family, Chefs, all his family at Food Network, Travel Channel and CNN.
His Genius, humility, kindness.
You will be forever missed buddy.

#2 5 years ago

He was famous for eating good.

#3 5 years ago

He was awesome. This sucks! My aunt used to work for him at his old restaurant. You never know what is going on in someone's head.

#4 5 years ago

Terrible news. All I can say is that the version of people that we see presented doesn't always represent how they are feeling at the end of the day behind closed doors. I lost a close family memeber of mine to suicide a few years ago. Everyone said the same things "I never thought he would really do it", "he didn't seem that depressed", "last week he seemed fine". Looking back though there were signs but they were not taken seriously enough.

Theres often something else going on in a persons life that is making them seriously depressed. My family member fell into severe depresssion after his son passed away unexpectedly. If you notice a friend or loved one acting depressed talk to them and encourage them to seek help.

#5 5 years ago

Seemed like he had a great life. I guess you just never really know.

#6 5 years ago

If you are contemplating suicidal thoughts, please reach out to a friend or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at
1-800-273-8255.

#7 5 years ago

First Kate Spade now Bourdain, crazy, sad.

#8 5 years ago

My brother unfortunately took his life back in 2012. I'll never forget the pain of learning about it. The following 4-5 years was the hardest time in my life, dealing with the loss that I felt could have been prevented but I felt like I failed. Depression perpetuates down to family and friends and I can't describe it.

But after these past few years I realize now that whatever demons was in his head, and others who have taken their own lives- were so great that the pain of living became too difficult to cope with. I have now come to the realization my brother is in a better place now, and no longer living in pain and depression on a daily basis and I guess it's a relief now. I don't know. Either way, none of us will be able to know what it feels like to be in their shoes... although I will tell you... I felt like I was afterwards for several years....

RIP Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade... and anyone else who has taken their own lives due to suicide

#9 5 years ago

He had been in talks with Elon Musk and was filming a new series? With him. Spoke out about the Clintons and wanted to do an awakening like Kanye West did.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

He had been in talks with Elon Musk and was filming a new series? With him. Spoke out about the Clintons and wanted to do an awakening like Kanye West did.

I knew the Illuminati had something to do with this!

#11 5 years ago

I really enjoyed Anthony Bourdain, he was really one of my favorite people (that I've never met). I read his book years ago. At the time I was working at a golf course, and volunteered for dishwashing duty for beer money. It was crazy how well he captured what it was like to work in a kitchen, and the types of people you encounter. I always found him to be very relatable, and as one of his co-workers put it today, "deeply, deeply human".

#12 5 years ago

The only thing I don't understand is how can he leave an 11 year old daughter without a father?

#13 5 years ago

I liked Bourdain

Hopefully his family & friends can find peace. That's the real motherfucker of losing someone to suicide. Anger & survivors guilt are very real.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

The only thing I don't understand is how can he leave an 11 year old daughter without a father?

You will never be able to understand. You just never know.

Depressed people who decide to take their own lives may be dealing with thoughts that because they are alive, they are toxic to those around them and they convince themselves their family/friends would be better off without them. So, it's quite possible he had a rationale of his daughter having a better life without him vs him living on in his depressed state of mind.

Obviously I could be wrong and I'm saying this as an example.. I've read a lot about suicide and depression since my brothers passing, and have read excerpts of notes and heard other stories- and to them, they think the world will be a better place without them and they dont feel they should be part of it anymore.

It's just sad all around.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

He seemed happy, and that he was married again. Everything was going good.

#17 5 years ago

While it's difficult and painful to be the friend, relative, or loved one of someone who committed suicide, this is a harmful thing to say and does not help people who suffer from suicidal ideation.

#18 5 years ago

It's such a shame. His little girl will grow up without her dad now.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

While it's difficult and painful to be the friend, relative, or loved one of someone who committed suicide, this is a harmful thing to say and does not help people who suffer from suicidal ideation.

No it’s not. I haven lost a cousin and good friend to suicide. I’ve been thru it and it’s a selfish act.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

No it’s not. I haven lost a cousin and good friend to suicide. I’ve been thru it and it’s a selfish act.

I disagree. I've been on both sides of the fence and while I understand how much it hurts to lose someone you know to suicide, "selfish" has nothing to do with what it actually feels like to be in the depths of suicidal ideation. Suggesting that suicide is selfish only helps to stigmatize talking about it, which is the exact opposite of what we need - nobody should ever fear being told that they're acting selfishly when they need to ask for help.

edit: which is not to say that your feelings aren't legitimate. There's just a difference between the effect and the cause - the pain of the victim and the pain of those they leave behind are two different and valid things, and making as open a space as possible to allow conversation and assistance to prevent either from being inflicted is extremely important.

#21 5 years ago

Damn! Such an interesting and entertaining guy. I enjoyed all of his TV shows and saw him do a great 1-man show on stage a few years ago.

Such a waste. I wish his family the best in coping with his death.

#22 5 years ago

Hopefully his family can cope with this, anyway RIP.

#23 5 years ago

I thought the same thing immediately after I found out my brother had committed suicide. It's easy to call someone selfish for taking themselves away from YOU. I was there. I was thinking, how could he do this to me?

But as I went through the motions and the years went by... I thought... It's ME who was selfish to think my life and feelings are more important than his - and somehow my feelings and others were so important he should have lived on in misery and depression just to keep me from feeling depressed and other friends and family.

It comes down to this... People who commit suicide are not selfish just because you are hurt by it. It's that they have a mental illness and are tortured every single day they are alive and feel they have no reason to live. Call it what you want, but you blaming them and calling them selfish only would prove the point as to why they wanted off this planet in the first place. Because everyone only thinks of themselves and could care less about their feelings, and are unable to put themselves in their shoes.

You really need to think about that before calling someone selfish for taking their own life.

#24 5 years ago

There's all kinds of suicides, and all kinds of reactions to it (all valid). Suicide happens to all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. It's not a monolithic subject. But it is really nice to see everyone talking about it.

To suicide, I've lost several family members, several friends, and many acquaintances. I've thought about joining them. Most recently, January, I lost a great friend. The wreckage that he left behind is staggering. I haven't been as upset by a death, ever. The flood of emotions is so strong you can't clearly define what it is you are feeling... loss, anger, sadness, guilt. It's all there, and it's all vaild. It sucks.

There is sometimes an underlying problem (drugs, alcohol, gambling, insecurity, abuse, illness) that we might be able to help with. Or help them find the help they need.

All I can say is, be kind to one another. Be fucking kind like people's lives are on the line.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He was famous for eating good.

Shallow thing to post.
There's a time to try to be funny.
And a time to think a bit deeper.

#26 5 years ago

It was released that he hanged himself

#27 5 years ago

Yeah. He had addiction issues.
He also was a thoughtful guy who did alot more than a food show, if you paid attention.

#28 5 years ago

Tribute on CNN at 7 pacific. 10 eastern. Tonight june 8th.
Im not ignoring posts above. Just swamped busy today.
Also, starting at 8 eastern tomorrow on CNN will be several key episodes showing.
Disclaimer: I work for Food Network sometimes. Not CNN. I just feel its important programming.
Sorry to sound like a commercial and ignore touching sentiments shared hear today.
I will follow up later.
My head hurts.

#29 5 years ago

Wondering, if he found out he had Cancer, and decided to pass away on his own terms.

#30 5 years ago

...and do you think that depressed people "should just get over it" also?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Wondering, if he found out he had Cancer, and decided to pass away on his own terms.

As sad as that is, literally just said the same thing to my wife. You hate to hope for anything terrible but at least it would be an answer as to why. Sucks so bad.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

...and do you think that depressed people "should just get over it" also?

It’s a terrible tragedy.

He’s gone. The 11 yr old daughter isn’t

Whatever he was battling must have been unbearable to leave a family like that behind

#33 5 years ago

Anthony introduced me to the hearts of every day people all across the world back in 2005. I learned so much from Anthony. When he was invited into homes for a family meal it was amazing how people opened up about anything he wanted talk about (thoughts on status of their country, past/current/future hardships, what everyday life is like). It was like their souls were opened up to Anthony, and these dialogues became part of my soul too. The world has lost a special person.

#34 5 years ago

Everyone has their demons, I'm sad his took over. RIP to a cool dude...

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I lost a close family memeber of mine to suicide a few years ago. Everyone said the same things "I never thought he would really do it", "he didn't seem that depressed", "last week he seemed fine". Looking back though there were signs but they were not taken seriously enough.

Panzerfreak- Thank you for sharing, so sorry for your loss. Indeed, we never know what another person is struggling with. The list can be long and you never know that pain someone can be living with.

Quoted from kpg:

My brother unfortunately took his life back in 2012. I'll never forget the pain of learning about it. The following 4-5 years was the hardest time in my life, dealing with the loss that I felt could have been prevented but I felt like I failed. Depression perpetuates down to family and friends and I can't describe it.

KPG- Thank very, very much for sharing your story. A lot can be learned, and well said in your posts here in this topic.
I cant imagine what you and your family went though.
A few posts mentioned " selfishness ". I get the use of the word, however as others pointed out above...When somone has reached that dark point, with no need to go on, the last thing there thinking is how others will perceive them. The pain inside is so deep and hopeless, the easy way out seems best. They either dont want to be burdon, or feel no one cares about them.

If you know soneone in pain, take that moment to put a hand on there shoulder, tell them you care, reach out. Call, text, invite them over and make them play a pinball game. Anything, just dont ignore it. We all can be apart of the solution.
As CNN pointed out so much yesterday, suicide is on the sharp rise this past decade.
Reach out, let them know you care.

Kate and Tony I hope your at peace now.

#36 5 years ago

Just watched season opener on dvr. Hong Kong.
Damn good show. Such a shame.

#37 5 years ago

Maybe I've watched Taken one too many times, but I wonder if Turkey or Azerbaijan had anything to do with it? Something doesn't seem right about this.

#38 5 years ago

Maybe Asia sacrificed him? She admitted to being a "Red Witch". But we will never know ...

#39 5 years ago

At least we still have Guy Fieri

#40 5 years ago

There was a time when I wanted to end it all. So glad that I didn't. Too much good stuff that I would have missed. Guess things were not as bad as I had thought, because I got through those times. I do not judge anyone that is contemplating it, or has committed suicide. I will never know what is going on, or went on in their head. Its sad that some people choose suicide as an option, especially when there are so many people fighting for their lives who have no say over what happens to them. You must have to be in a deep dark place for that, that thankfully, the majority of us will never know.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

There was a time when I wanted to end it all. So glad that I didn't. Too much good stuff that I would have missed. Guess things were not as bad as I had thought, because I got through those times. I do not judge anyone that is contemplating it, or has committed suicide. I will never know what is going on, or went on in their head. Its sad that some people choose suicide as an option, especially when there are so many people fighting for their lives who have no say over what happens to them. You must have to be in a deep dark place for that, that thankfully, the majority of us will never know.

Thank you for posting and thanks for sticking around.
Anthony struggled with his demons his whole life. He was a lonely person, that can get hard. The fame didnt make it easier for him. We will really never know why he did it. We just know he gave in to the desire.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

probably via OD or hanging I'd assume.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thank you for posting and thanks for sticking around.
Anthony struggled with his demons his whole life. He was a lonely person, that can get hard. The fame didnt make it easier for him. We will really never know why he did it. We just know he gave in to the desire.

I am glad that I stuck around. Once I got past my self destructive thoughts, I started to move forward more positively in life. I ended up dating someone who was battling her own internal demons, and her addictions were taking their toll. There was a suicide attempt, and if not for the medical professionals on the scene, she would not have made it. I tried to help as best as I could and slowly she started to get stronger and wanted to live. It was not easy, but I did not give up. Years went by and we grew apart, but still stayed friends. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she is still drug and alcohol free after all these years, and is happily planning a son's wedding. Looks like something good came from me not ending my own life. She said that she could not have done it without me. Hopefully she can be there for someone in their time of need as well.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I am glad that I stuck around. Once I got past my self destructive thoughts, I started to move forward more positively in life. I ended up dating someone who was battling her own internal demons, and her addictions were taking their toll. There was a suicide attempt, and if not for the medical professionals on the scene, she would not have made it. I tried to help as best as I could and slowly she started to get stronger and wanted to live. It was not easy, but I did not give up. Years went by and we grew apart, but still stayed friends. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she is still drug and alcohol free after all these years, and is happily planning a son's wedding. Looks like something good came from me not ending my own life. She said that she could not have done it without me. Hopefully she can be there for someone in their time of need as well.

Ahh man, thats a great story!
Life begets life, the butterfly effect.

#45 5 years ago

I never watched Bourdain's shows or knew much about him other than a face and a name. But I just listened to his WTF interview from a few years back and got the impression he was a humble, highly intelligent person who was interested in the world beyond just food. It's a shame he killed himself. As has been said here people commit suicide for all kinds of reasons and it often doesn't make much sense.

Hopefully the media will do a better job covering this than they did with Robin Williams and it will result in people seeking help instead of another rash of copycat suicides:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/02/07/robin-williamss-suicide-was-followed-by-a-sharp-rise-in-copycat-deaths/

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

At least we still have Guy Fieri

I enjoy watching Guy Fieri as much as any of the cooking show celebrities, but when I saw "An Evening with Anthony Bourdain" on stage a number of years back, a big part of his show was ripping on Guy Fieri, Rachel Ray and Sandra Lee (The "anti-Christ" according to AB). He didn't considered them to be legitimate cooking authorities - just TV wannabees.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I enjoy watching Guy Fieri as much as any of the cooking show celebrities, but when I saw "An Evening with Anthony Bourdain" on stage a number of years back, a big part of his show was ripping on Guy Fieri, Rachel Ray and Sandra Lee (The "anti-Christ" according to AB). He didn't considered them to be legitimate cooking authorities - just TV wannabees.

Yeah, he always seemed like a very pissed off individual which is why this wasn't a huge shock to me. It was sort of in Hunter S Thompson territory

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah, he always seemed like a very pissed off individual which is why this wasn't a huge shock to me. It was sort of in Hunter S Thompson territory

He used to hang out at my favorite (long defunct) NYC bar. His mood seemed to vacillate between miserable and pissed. So not really surprised.

#49 5 years ago

Yeah, I tried to watch his show once, but was not impressed or entertained.

But getting paid to travel and eat must have been good work if you can get it.

#50 5 years ago

I feel its important to post this here again at bottom of page, and will do it again on the next.

If you are contemplating suicidal thoughts, please reach out to a friend or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at
1-800-273-8255.

Its not the norm. But come to pinside and post as well or PM me. Im not the best shoulder to cry on, but I sure as hell would try to talk you out of it.

Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I tried to watch his show once, but was not impressed or entertained.
But getting paid to travel and eat must have been good work if you can get it.

Well bud you live, was beginning to wonder if a wellness check was in order. On vacation, or up to your eyeballs sucking on exhaust pipes?
FYI- That would also be a horrible way to off yourself.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anthony-bourdain-rip-apperent-suicide?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.