(Topic ID: 29644)

Answered a Craigslist ad and it looks like I have my very own stalker!

By PismoArcade

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

What a crummy day for pin shopping...

In addition to driving to a sellers house to find the pin wouldn't power up (See "Y'Know..."), there was this little gem...

Saw a Sonic "Butterfly" advertised on CL in Sacramento. I played one at this year's PPE and enjoyed playing it. Did my research and found them to be valued between $400 and $600. Seller was asking $1200 so I emailed him with questions about the machine and asked how firm he was on the price. He emailed back stating because I wouldn't meet his price I should "find another example". Odd. I emailed back "No worries... thanks anyway." You'd think it would have ended there.

He immediately emailed me back stating 1) He doesn't sell to collectors because they only want to pay wholesale, 2) He only sells to locals because they have "more of the green stuff", 3) He likes to buy machines for $50- $100 and resell them for $800- $1200 "with minimal investment in parts". 4) He only sells to buyers who will "step up to my level of service" and on and on. I made the mistake of emailing him calling him out on his rudeness and wondered why he was so insulted that I wouldn't meet his price yet bragged about lowballing sellers.

He just emailed me and now it's getting creepier. The theme of this email is "You must be a liberal" and then he launched into a diatribe where he assumed he knew my political affiliation and everything that is wrong with the left... Yikes.

oof...The recent smooth transaction I had with PracticalSteve spoiled me...

#2 11 years ago

Wouldn't really call the guy a stalker unless he keeps sending emails and you don't. Block his email? Hope he leaves you alone.

#3 11 years ago

I've told him to stop emailing me, but he wont stop... Time to block him,

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

What a crummy day for pin shopping...

In addition to driving to a sellers house to find the pin wouldn't power up (See "Y'Know..."), there was this little gem...

Saw a Sonic "Butterfly" advertised on CL in Sacramento. I played one at this year's PPE and enjoyed playing it. Did my research and found them to be valued between $400 and $600. Seller was asking $1200 so I emailed him with questions about the machine and asked how firm he was on the price. He emailed back stating because I wouldn't meet his price I should "find another example". Odd. I emailed back "No worries... thanks anyway." You'd think it would have ended there.

He immediately emailed me back stating 1) He doesn't sell to collectors because they only want to pay wholesale, 2) He only sells to locals because they have "more of the green stuff", 3) He likes to buy machines for $50- $100 and resell them for $800- $1200 "with minimal investment in parts". 4) He only sells to buyers who will "step up to my level of service" and on and on. I made the mistake of emailing him calling him out on his rudeness and wondered why he was so insulted that I wouldn't meet his price yet bragged about lowballing sellers.

He just emailed me and now it's getting creepier. The theme of this email is "You must be a liberal" and then he launched into a diatribe where he assumed he knew my political affiliation and everything that is wrong with the left... Yikes.

oof...The recent smooth transaction I had with PracticalSteve spoiled me...

Ugh, that is terrible! sorry to hear about this! Gonna go check out that other thread you started now.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

The recent smooth transaction I had with PracticalSteve spoiled me...

Maybe you got ImpracticalSteve this time around.

#6 11 years ago

Hopefully he doesn't lurk here

#7 11 years ago

So..... Are you a liberal? (Just kidding)
    That's a wierd exchange. Time to block his emails.

#8 11 years ago

I know... I gave him too much info on my initial email including the fact that I'm on Pinside.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

He likes to buy machines for $50- $100 and resell them for $800- $1200 "with minimal investment in parts"

fabulous.. so admits to being an evil flipper

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

fabulous.. so admits to being an evil flipper

Which is why I couldn't understand why he got so angry when I offered him $900...still twice the value of the machine.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Maybe you got ImpracticalSteve this time around

Good one!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Maybe you got ImpracticalSteve this time around.

More like "Unstable Frank".

#13 11 years ago

I hadn't realized bartering for goods and collecting things were Liberal stereotypes.

What I read into this is that people who know good work don't think this guy produces it while he thinks he does, so he sells to people who don't know any better. Mssrs Dunning and Kruger might have a word to say about that.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from dasmb:

I hadn't realized bartering for goods and collecting things were Liberal stereotypes.
    What I read into this is that people who know good work don't think this guy produces it while he thinks he does, so he sells to people who don't know any better. Mssrs Dunning and Kruger might have a word to say about that.

Wow... Had to Google "Dunning/Kruger effect"
    I love learning new things. ...and yes; the definition fits him perfectly.

Thanks.

#15 11 years ago

If you offered $900, you did him a favor. He is out of touch to pass on that price..

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wow... Had to Google "Dunning/Kruger effect"
    I love learning new things. ...and yes; the definition fits him perfectly.
    Thanks.

Just be aware that people aren't as good at identifying the effect as they think they are.

#17 11 years ago

Post his email address, we'll email him so much he'll make a new account

#18 11 years ago

I'm done with CL after my lunatic experience. Not worth it.

#19 11 years ago

Taylor no fair ! Your CL story demands air like a drowning cat...you must tell

#20 11 years ago

I have had a few experiences like this as well. In fact had one say "a rich big time collector like you can afford to sell it to me for much less" and was flat out pissed I wouldnt take their low ball offer. Then of course many irrate emails came in after.

#21 11 years ago

Post the emails. Post the sellers name. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can use a chuckle.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thats honestly where Im at right now. With retailers and other collectors watching it like a hawk, there is almost zero chance of getting a deal, and then after that you have weirdos and crazies to deal with.

Best thing to do is deal with people you know. Either locally or on a forum like this.

#23 11 years ago

agreed. I had a similar experience a couple years ago - except I was selling off some spare parts. Ended up he was somehow offended at me and he some reason made a scan of his bank account statement - I guess to prove how vital his business is. I have no idea why. I know he's done it to at least one other person too.

For the most part, video and pinball collectors tend to be a little antisocial. I'd say - except for people who go out of their way like those on this forum.

#24 11 years ago

Its not rocket science unfortunately.... get a room full of random people and choose a random metric like "emotional intelligence" or "common sense".

Out of this pool, half of the people will be above average and half of the people will be below average by definition.

Looks like you had the joy of finding someone in the long tail of the below average bracket...

Think of it like reversion to the mean after your past really positive experience .

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Thats honestly where Im at right now. With retailers and other collectors watching it like a hawk, there is almost zero chance of getting a deal, and then after that you have weirdos and crazies to deal with.
    Best thing to do is deal with people you know. Either locally or on a forum like this.

Don't assume anything. Local or a forum member can be the same lunatic on CL. Just saying.

Quoted from rommy:

Taylor no fair ! Your CL story demands air like a drowning cat...you must tell

RGParchive has it well documented.

#26 11 years ago

If you plan on buying or selling stuff on craigslist, I highly recommend setting up a separate email account solely for this purpose. There are just too many crazy people out there. Personally, I avoid craigslist like the plague.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

RGParchive has it well documented.

can we get a link?

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I know... I gave him too much info on my initial email including the fact that I'm on Pinside.

It's probably not a good idea to start a thread about the whole ordeal here then...

I bought my first pin off craigslist and have not had any luck since. It's a waste of time, pretty much. I still look, though.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

The theme of this email is "You must be a liberal" and then he launched into a diatribe where he assumed he knew my political affiliation and everything that is wrong with the left... Yikes.

Typical coward

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Nah... I was going to post the links for his CL ads, but someone might flag them and of course he'll think it's me. (He's got several ads including "Butterfly" and "300".)

I blocked his emails and hopefully that's the last I'll hear from him.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

If you plan on buying or selling stuff on craigslist, I highly recommend setting up a separate email account solely for this purpose. There are just too many crazy people out there. Personally, I avoid craigslist like the plague.

Good idea... Thanks!

#32 11 years ago

That sucks, and yet is quite entertaining for the rest of us! Thanks for posting.

On the other side of the coin, did you see the Fresno CL ads for the three pins: TMNT, Fire!, and F14?

Guy sounded real reasonable and had great prices for them. The F14 even came with a "spare" F14 for parts!

If I had the room, I'd be getting the F14's for sure....

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Guy sounded real reasonable and had great prices for them. The F14 even came with a "spare" F14 for parts!

He just sold me his F-14 to buy a new pin! Too funny.

Also just emailed this guy asking if he would sell the spare sound board, so in a way thanks for the heads up!

#34 11 years ago

He has good prices, doesn't he? It's extremely tempting....

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

That sucks, and yet is quite entertaining for the rest of us! Thanks for posting.
    On the other side of the coin, did you see the Fresno CL ads for the three pins: TMNT, Fire!, and F14?

I'm looking at that TMNT, even though I'm not loving the theme... Checked it out on YouTube... looks like fun.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

That's what I was thinking, I am sure some pinheads more then willing to speak their mind and tell him what a dbag he is would be happy to play some email debate with him. He should be ashamed of acting like that to someone he did not know who made an offer that was more then fair and was polite to him. Can you imagine if you were rude to him first??

Post it

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm looking at that TMNT, even though I'm not loving the theme... Checked it out on YouTube... looks like fun.

Ehhh be patient, you can do better. If you buy that TMNT it would be the equivalent of grabbing that last girl at the bar when they turn on the lights. I know you are into Em's did you see that Pat Hand in Moss beach on CL? Looks like the art is in really nice condition. If it works 100% it is a good deal at 420$ plus I think they have had it a while so you could probably talk them down.

Also, did my first flipper ebuild on the F-14 last night. I was nervous as hell since I read so many horror stories on here about people mucking up the wires and blowing out there CPU board. It went great and that flipper is super strong! Just three more to go now.

#38 11 years ago

Yeah, you're right about the TMNT. (Nice analogy, by the way.) It's just that I'm getting itchy for a new pin. (Going back and forth on the EM, though... If I found a good SS for the price, I'd grab it.) It's been what, three weeks since I sold you the F-14? It's gotten so bad that I've developed neck pain by being glued to my computer looking for deals.

Awesome news on the flipper! Hope you hear from that guy in Fresno about the sound board.

I'm going to check out the Pat Hand... thanks for the info!

#39 11 years ago

Be patient! I know that is the hardest thing! What is your price range if you don't mind me asking? (you can pm me if you prefer.) I know a guy with a couple of SS games he is not advertising you may be interested in.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Be patient! I know that is the hardest thing! What is your price range if you don't mind me asking? (you can pm me if you prefer.) I know a guy with a couple of SS games he is not advertising you may be interested in.

Probably $1000- $1500. I told my wife I might go "a little" above what I sold the F-14 for. In a perfect world, her idea of "a little' would get me an AC/DC BIB LE. (Hey... I can dream, can't I?)

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Probably $1000- $1500. I told my wife I might go "a little" above what I sold the F-14 for. In a perfect world, her idea of "a little' would get me an AC/DC BIB LE. (Hey... I can dream, can't I?)

sending you a PM

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/answered-a-craigslist-ad-and-it-looks-like-i-have-my-very-own-stalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.