Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just played my first real games of WoZ and here is my unbiased review:

First a little background on myself:
I was initially turned off by the WoZ theme and passed on the pre-order...also I was afraid to finance a new pinball company. All that changed when I went to the JJP open house in Dec. 2012 and saw (and played) WoZ. My initial reaction was that it was the most beautiful machine I have seen and recognized the quality. I did have concerns about the weak flippers and how slow it was playing. Even still, I was excited about it and decided to take the plunge. I ordered WoZ ECLE #983 and also Hobbit LE #983. I figured it was worth the extra cash since they were almost ready to start shipping. Needless to say that was wrong and I probably wont see my pin until the end of the year. I have not been happy with all the delays but have been hanging in there. I have considered cancelling my Hobbit LE and should make that decision by the end of the month. A decision made much harder after the reveal of the playfield and it being totally different from WoZ.

I have played WoZ prototypes before but just played my first games on a production pin at IPlay America in Freehold NJ.
My review of IPlay:
Very nice facility with very little pinball; WoZ standard and Grand Prix (Stern). The WoZ was on but the card swipe did not work. The wife and I made the (10 minute) trip to play WoZ and I was not going to leave without trying to get it to work. It took a while but I got someone to come over and look at it. He said they were having problems with the ball ejecting so they disabled the swiper. I asked them if we could give it a try and see if it works. We proceeded to play 18 games without an issue. Very disappointed with Iplay for not even trying until I insisted but pinball is not their thing.

My review of WoZ
Gameplay Pros:
1) The flippers were not an issue at all. I was able to make all shots without a problem.
2) I loved the two outlane games...both different and fun.
3) I found the game to be fun and addictive.
4) I first thought the music would bother me but It did not at all. (however I could barely hear it)
5) Even though shots feel a little similar TSPP, this game is very different from my other games and will be an excellent addition to my collection

Gameplay Cons:
1) With both the front and back levelers all the way in, the machine played slow for my taste. I am not sure if that is the recommended slope but there is no way I would leave it that shallow. If it is a set-up issue, than shame on JJP for not ensuring that it is correct since they even have a kiosk at that location!
2) The ball got hung up many times in the shooter lane on the switch just before you get to the top lanes. I think this is related to set-up, if it was not so shallow I don't think it would have happened.
3) I did not like the way the rollover switches redirected the ball. CV has rollover buttons on the playfield and I never feel like they interfere.
4) The playfield is fairly dark. Even my wife commented on it. They really need to work on the GI.
5) The coding still need a lot more work both in rules and general understanding of the game. The standard "shoot the blinking lights" only applies to save TOTO and There no place like home. I hope they ultimately get to providing flashing lights to indicate the shots you should go for. I also feel it is confusing to know where you are in the game. Perhaps there are callouts to tell you what to shoot for but I could not hear them.

Summary:
I think this is a very fun game and most of the issues I mentioned I think will be handled through set up or future code. We are looking forward our WoZ even more now after playing a production version.

#2 10 years ago

Also forgot to add my feelings on the LCD monitor:
I feel the same about is as I do a DMD. I only glance at it during play. I really like the concept of the map feature...but I did not use it.

#3 10 years ago

Great review!
Not that my opinion matters, but I too got to play an WOZ in the wild (Canobie Lake Park) last Thursday and found your review to be spot on. I also was lucky enough to play a proto a while back and pretty sure the one last Thursday was updated to the newest code. Best part all games in the arcade were set to .25 per play.
Same thing the gameplay on WOZ was really slow, not sure on the slope there.
Hope to play this game again once it's all said and done!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Castro...your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's does. $.25 WOW...I considered myself lucky that it was only $1.00. I would have played all day at that.

Did you experience the ball hang that I did?

#5 10 years ago

Levellers all the way in is not even the slope recommended in the manual, which says front all the way down, back two-thirds up.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Castro28:

Great review!
Not that my opinion matters, but I too got to play an WOZ in the wild (Canobie Lake Park) last Thursday and found your review to be spot on. I also was lucky enough to play a proto a while back and pretty sure the one last Thursday was updated to the newest code. Best part all games in the arcade were set to .25 per play.
Same thing the gameplay on WOZ was really slow, not sure on the slope there.
Hope to play this game again once it's all said and done!

WOZ in the sun, no thanks, not even with sunscreen on it.

#7 10 years ago

rollovers aren't an issue if the game is set up properly, not anything like CV or WCS'94.

Code can't fix lazy.

#8 10 years ago

WOZ, parked in front of a window.

Maybe they're performing a sun-fade test.

#9 10 years ago

It is a bummer that they can't take the time to set it up correctly. But then again I've seen a lot of pins on location that could have been helped with 5 minutes of operator time. I don't expect an operator to dial them in like home, but making them play fun definitely increases the amount in the cash box.

I'm glad the WOZ games I've played were setup well.

#10 10 years ago

Actually, I do not find the rollovers on CV to get in the way since they are aligned with the inner loop. Really glad to hear it is not an issue when the machine is at the correct slope.

#11 10 years ago

It would be cool if the machine would tell you upon boot if the pitch is wrong. Seems that with today's technology, this would be easy and cheap to do. I read about this problem a lot. Ironically machines tell you if a light bulb is out, but not if the entire game is going to be a loss because you can't set the pitch correctly.

I know, I know, it is easy to do and all, but sometimes what is common sense to some, is a challenge for others

#12 10 years ago

Haha too funny!
I think they were trying to bring people in the arcade, Canobie lake Park is a giant carnival that attracts lots of people year round. Really cool place to play pin also.

.25 was a deal butt it also makes up for the $35 to enter the park.

I didn't have any problems with the ball hang up, just the slope being off turned me away from the machine after a couple games.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 10 years ago

For some reason I triple posted

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The LCD panel doubles as a solar panel......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
13,000 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-woz-review-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.