Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PanzerFreak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

There's been some chatter lately about another code update coming for WOZ. On Saturday, June 7th at the NW Pinball and Arcade show Jack at the JJP seminar said the following (thank you PinballNews.com, info came from their show article) about the code update.

"Jack spoke about how a new version of the software for The Wizard of Oz would be available shortly with some bug fixes, feature changes, and the full manual accessible through the game's LCD monitor. It will also be possible to upload your own attract mode images."

Jack also said on the JJP Google Group last Wednesday that the update would be coming in a few days so I would think we will be seeing it soon.

The ability to upload your own attract mode images sounds very cool. I can definitely see a good number of owners creating their own pinball arcade logos for their games either at home or on location. As for features changes I wonder what will be changed or added rules wise. A couple months back Keith mentioned that he may modify the rules of the Munchkin modes to make them a little more interesting. Personally I hope that change is made as well as seeing the crystal ball toy used a bit more in terms of displaying goals or extra shots to shoot for.

Is there anything you would change or add code wise to the game at this point?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ability to upload your own attract mode images sounds very cool. I can definitely see a good number of owners creating their own pinball arcade logos for their games either at home or on location.

The most expensive LCD photo frame ever

#3 4 years ago

When is WOZ getting the update to allow wifi updating?

#4 4 years ago

I've been overjoyed with 3.0. So anything at this point is a bonus to me. If it is just smoothing a couple transitions and some audio tweaks, I'd be fine with it. Oh, and a HOADC display

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think I remember seeing a post by Alex a while back saying that its still in the works? If it's a feature that comes to The Hobbit or Pat's machine I do remember someone from JJP saying that such features could be brought to WOZ.

#6 4 years ago

I would really like to see the instant info screen that tells you what you need to accomplish goal wise and other information to able to be viewed for a longer time . To much information to study and view just to have turn off after a short viewing time. JJP does need it address this issue in a big way .

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Even without wifi, updating WOZ is a snap compared to Stern games. I just updated my MET to 1.6 and it took over 30 minutes to flash the new code. The last WOZ update I did only took a few seconds.

I like the idea of adding attract mode images. If they'd allow custom attract music as well, that would be kinda cool.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Even without wifi, updating WOZ is a snap compared to Stern games. I just updated my MET to 1.6 and it took over 30 minutes to flash the new code. The last WOZ update I did only took a few seconds.
I like the idea of adding attract mode images. If they'd allow custom attract music as well, that would be kinda cool.

I'm sure the SSD in WOZ helps speed up the update process. With the next update including the 67mb manual the update install may take a few seconds longer, haha.

#9 4 years ago

That would be nice and easy to read the manual on the screen when working on the game itself.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

LOL If the next update is pretty final, then that feature update would be moot. And I don't think there will be any more major updates; the incremental ones really do take just a few seconds.

OTOH, it might be cool if the Hobbitt shipped with wifi update capability.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

LOL If the next update is pretty final, then that feature update would be moot. And I don't think there will be any more major updates; the incremental ones really do take just a few seconds.
OTOH, it might be cool if the Hobbitt shipped with wifi update capability.

If wifi were the case, could Ops just put the machines on auto update at a given time? In theory they wouldn't have to be on site for such things. If you took the idea further, you could monitor other things like error codes and earnings remotely as well.

So many possibilities!

#12 4 years ago

Post edited by Pdxmonkey: Dang i can't read good

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm sure the SSD in WOZ helps speed up the update process. With the next update including the 67mb manual the update install may take a few seconds longer, haha.

9 seconds..

#15 4 years ago

lol! My flash drive is ready Alex

Is there a chance that the code update will be out by the end of the week?

#16 4 years ago

Alex!!! Which 9 seconds??? I have 9 seconds to spare. USB stick in hand

#17 4 years ago

No release dates yet. It's going to be polishing code with new administrative features. There will be a few gameplay changes and video changes.

#18 4 years ago

Sounds awesome. Thanks for keeping us posted.

#19 4 years ago

It would be fun to have video mode on next up date with this game

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No release dates yet. It's going to be polishing code with new administrative features. There will be a few gameplay changes and video changes.

I like polish! WOZ already shines, so a few tweaks and clean ups would be just fine.

#21 4 years ago

I guess the "attract mode images" means still photos and not video.

#22 4 years ago

I wish they would add a feature to disable upper playfield flippers when a ball is not up there. It creates a lot of unnecessary wear to the game's moving parts.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I wish they would add a feature to disable upper playfield flippers when a ball is not up there. It creates a lot of unnecessary wear to the game's moving parts.

Keith has said that this won't happen.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Can I thumbs up a thousand times??

Quoted from DylanFan71:

Keith has said that this won't happen.

Keith needs to get over himself and do what's right for the game, the player, and especially the operator. Rebuilding five flippers unnecessarily on thousands of games due to one guy being a hard head is just ridiculous.

Again, leave it the default settings, but *at least* give the option to turn them off when the playfields aren't active.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#25 4 years ago

Let's hope he'll be reasonable on this. He's a very capable programmer and obviously an intelligent guy. The pros outweigh the cons on this issue by a mile. It's not about being right or wrong or anyone's pride. It's strictly a sound business decision. People who operate this game want to maximize the game's reliability. This simple mod would do that, and for those that don't like it, it could be enabled/disabled in configuration.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Can I thumbs up a thousand times??

Keith needs to get over himself and do what's right for the game, the player, and especially the operator. Rebuilding five flippers unnecessarily on thousands of games due to one guy being a hard head is just ridiculous.
Again, leave it the default settings, but *at least* give the option to turn them off when the playfields aren't active.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

I hear ya Rob, but I'm surprised he hasn't already posted on this forum in response to your posting.

#27 4 years ago

It sounds easy at first, but when you think about the additional logic needed to keep track of the state of the two upper playfields, and all the various events that can turn them on or off, it quickly becomes a PITA with little reward and lots of room for problems.

What happens when you quickly shoot two balls onto the tornado playfield... how will it know when to kill the UR flipper? No switch at the exit. He'd have to add specific code to watch all UPF switches and turn flippers on in the event of a closure (if an airball makes it up there) .. but what if a switch is gapped too close? Suddenly the UPF is turning on and off randomly? Not good for location. Adding more complexity also adds potential for more bugs, which need more time to find and squash. Have to add code to turn flipper on when monkey brings ball up and a ball already locked (but NOT if no ball locked already) ... add code to make sure if 2 balls are on castle PF and exit simultaneously (appearing as one to the opto) that the game figures that out... etc.

IMHO Keith's time is MUCH better spent on Hobbit than adding this feature to WOZ.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I hear ya Rob, but I'm surprised he hasn't already posted on this forum in response to your posting.

Well after responding the same way for years, maybe he got bored being asked the same thing over and over again?

* Note, when I say years, I mean years. He said the exact same thing using the same logic for TSPP. He has responded, and it won't be changing. A couple people don't agree with the answer and will keep asking again, and agian, and again... and because I said this they will ask again.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Let's hope he'll be reasonable on this. He's a very capable programmer and obviously an intelligent guy. The pros outweigh the cons on this issue by a mile. It's not about being right or wrong or anyone's pride. It's strictly a sound business decision. People who operate this game want to maximize the game's reliability. This simple mod would do that, and for those that don't like it, it could be enabled/disabled in configuration.

It's more difficult than you think...what if you get a multiball and get a ball on the castle playfield. You cradle the ball up there and play the main playfield. When do you disable the castle playfield flipper? When no targets are hit? That might hose someone who is cradling the ball or someone who is hitting post after post after post up there. I guess a solution would be to enable all flippers if a multiball is going on and only disable the uppper playfield flippers if in single ball play where you can tell when a ball has left the playfields.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

That would be nice and easy to read the manual on the screen when working on the game itself.

Except the playfield will block the screen when you have it in "service position". Not saying it's a bad idea (honestly, other than that drawback, it's a GREAT idea), but that aspect will annoy people, I'm sure.

#31 4 years ago

Having printed manuals would really help.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Having printed manuals would really help.

In the works!

#33 4 years ago

Its a full system upgrade. With the power off, plug in your USB flash drive and then boot the pin. It doesnt get any better then that. Lots of tweeks and fun stuff! Should be out next week.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Its a full system upgradgetting the power off, plug in your USB flash drive and then boot the pin. It doesnt get any better then that. Lots of tweeks and fun stuff! Should be out next week.

Thanks for the update! Can't wait.

Congrats on getting your WOZ!

#35 4 years ago

Wonder why they arent publishing the change list ahead of time this time.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Wonder why they arent publishing the change list ahead of time this time.

Does anyone have the change list from all of previous versions?

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

It sounds easy at first, but when you think about the additional logic needed to keep track of the state of the two upper playfields, and all the various events that can turn them on or off, it quickly becomes a PITA with little reward and lots of room for problems.
What happens when you quickly shoot two balls onto the tornado playfield... how will it know when to kill the UR flipper? No switch at the exit. He'd have to add specific code to watch all UPF switches and turn flippers on in the event of a closure (if an airball makes it up there) .. but what if a switch is gapped too close? Suddenly the UPF is turning on and off randomly? Not good for location. Adding more complexity also adds potential for more bugs, which need more time to find and squash. Have to add code to turn flipper on when monkey brings ball up and a ball already locked (but NOT if no ball locked already) ... add code to make sure if 2 balls are on castle PF and exit simultaneously (appearing as one to the opto) that the game figures that out... etc.
IMHO Keith's time is MUCH better spent on Hobbit than adding this feature to WOZ.

Speaking as a programmer, it's not difficult. The game knows when there is a ball up there. It also knows when the ball leaves. There are switches that clearly indicate the status and how many balls are where. This type of logic is regularly used in all manner of pinball games. Look at the battlefield in Shadow or the upper playfield in TZ. This is easy stuff to do. Even IF a ball randomly flew into the upper playfield area, any triggering of a switch up there could tell the game there's a ball up there and enable the upper flippers (although I think if a ball lands up there, like in TZ, without it supposing to be up there, the upper PF should not activate.. otherwise it's kind of cheating.)

It's easy enough to do. It's easy enough to also make it a configurable option.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Does anyone have the change list from all of previous versions?

A complete change list is not posted on JJP's site. It would be nice if they were like on Sterns site. Alex has posted update change lists on Pinside for at least the last 6 or so updates it seems so you may be able to search for them. The JJP Google Group would have them all posted I would think

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's more difficult than you think...what if you get a multiball and get a ball on the castle playfield. You cradle the ball up there and play the main playfield. When do you disable the castle playfield flipper? When no targets are hit? That might hose someone who is cradling the ball or someone who is hitting post after post after post up there. I guess a solution would be to enable all flippers if a multiball is going on and only disable the uppper playfield flippers if in single ball play where you can tell when a ball has left the playfields.

I think you could ignore most outlying cases. Enable them only when a ball should be up there by normal game mechs and during mb. Thats it. In your exanple, the flipper would be killed at end of mb and the ball would drop off. Same with air balls landing up there. It doesn't sound very complex at all to me. Keith made it sound really complicated. But I think all those cases can just be ignored.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Its a full system upgrade. With the power off, plug in your USB flash drive and then boot the pin. It doesnt get any better then that. Lots of tweeks and fun stuff! Should be out next week.

Considering I haven't actually made the determination as to whether or not it's full or delta this isn't accurate . It may very well be full but I haven't gotten the code base in its entirety to even come close to making that call. Once there is a true final release I will publish that as both a delta and a full.

#41 4 years ago

Thank God...if it's a full update, I lose all my high scores. And I ain't gonna get 'em back anytime soon!

PS - Alex...sent you a PM on an unrelated topic (Congo). Did you get it?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Considering I haven't actually made the determination as to whether or not it's full or delta this isn't accurate . It may very well be full but I haven't gotten the code base in its entirety to even come close to making that call. Once there is a true final release I will publish that as both a delta and a full.

Ken and Steve told me that info last night when I was there picking up my game. Guess they gave me the wrong info? Ken not only sounded positive about it but actually showed me how simple it was to do. And told me I would have to do it next week when the new code is out.

#43 4 years ago

That's definitely possible but I haven't gotten the code base yet to package. If it truly is the final release I will do both a full and delta so those who don't want to won't have to lose their scores. One thing to note is config and audits backup is coming in the latest version.

#44 4 years ago

That would be great! Thanks Alex.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A complete change list is not posted on JJP's site.

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/changelog.txt

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank God...if it's a full update, I lose all my high scores.

That may not be as true as you think.

Quoted from markmon:

But I think all those cases can just be ignored.

#46 4 years ago

That's what I've been looking for.

Thank you !!!

#47 4 years ago

Thanks Keith! I don't know why I never noticed it before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
$ 9,500.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, IL
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 16.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside