(Topic ID: 213791)

Another tumbler question

By DCRand

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

I have read most of the recent tumbler topics. But have a question haven't seen answered. I have a relatively small area, with limited ability to bolt down a vibrating tumbler. Also concerned about the noise in a small space. I don't plan to tumble anything but screws, nuts, and other small parts as use evaporust and polishing wheel on my grinder for bigger items. For these reasons, thinking of buying a small rotary tumbler as think it would be quieter and I could just set it on my work bench when using it.
    So, how much longer does it take a rotary tumbler to polish items compared to the vibrating tumbler? How much quieter is a rotary tumbler than the vibrating tumbler? Are there other reasons why I shouldn't consider the rotary tumbler?

I use a rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight and it works great. Normally I'll put in a batch of screws/washers/etc. along with walnut media (can get at any pet store) and a couple table-spoons worth of Mother's Metal Polish. I run it for 2-3 days and they come out like new (unless they're just totally pitted out).

So I'd have no hesitation with a rotary tumbler if that's all you have room for.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheWiz:

I agree with stoomer, I have 1 vibrating tumbler and 2 barrel tumblers. The only thing I use them for anymore is to shine up the tokens for the slot machines. I polish all the pinball parts by hand. It goes fast and I don't have to wait hours (days) on them. I can take something off, polish it and put it back on in minutes.

Makes sense. For me, it’s about my time. If I have say 3 hours in the evening (after work, and before it gets so late my wife gets pissed because I’m still out working on my games), I’d rather spend that time doing some other part of my restoration (say building a stepper or painting a cabinet, or whatever) and let the machine do the tedious polishing work at the same time.

I haven’t had a problem with getting walnut media stuck in / taken out of the screws and posts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-tumbler-question?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.