10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 10 months ago

I have read most of the recent tumbler topics. But have a question haven't seen answered. I have a relatively small area, with limited ability to bolt down a vibrating tumbler. Also concerned about the noise in a small space. I don't plan to tumble anything but screws, nuts, and other small parts as use evaporust and polishing wheel on my grinder for bigger items. For these reasons, thinking of buying a small rotary tumbler as think it would be quieter and I could just set it on my work bench when using it.

So, how much longer does it take a rotary tumbler to polish items compared to the vibrating tumbler? How much quieter is a rotary tumbler than the vibrating tumbler? Are there other reasons why I shouldn't consider the rotary tumbler?

#2 10 months ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

I have read most of the recent tumbler topics. But have a question haven't seen answered. I have a relatively small area, with limited ability to bolt down a vibrating tumbler. Also concerned about the noise in a small space. I don't plan to tumble anything but screws, nuts, and other small parts as use evaporust and polishing wheel on my grinder for bigger items. For these reasons, thinking of buying a small rotary tumbler as think it would be quieter and I could just set it on my work bench when using it.
    So, how much longer does it take a rotary tumbler to polish items compared to the vibrating tumbler? How much quieter is a rotary tumbler than the vibrating tumbler? Are there other reasons why I shouldn't consider the rotary tumbler?

I use a rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight and it works great. Normally I'll put in a batch of screws/washers/etc. along with walnut media (can get at any pet store) and a couple table-spoons worth of Mother's Metal Polish. I run it for 2-3 days and they come out like new (unless they're just totally pitted out).

So I'd have no hesitation with a rotary tumbler if that's all you have room for.

#3 10 months ago

I don’t bolt down my vibratory tumbler. I just put it on the floor in a corner where the noise isn’t as noticeable. I have occasionally also put a cardboard box over it to deaden the sound somewhat. BTW, most of the noise comes from the metal parts tumbling around and not the tumbler itself. Not sure a rotating one would be much quieter?

#4 10 months ago

I've got a vibratory tumbler than I've let run for days on my work bench and it never moves at all. Not bolted down.

#5 10 months ago

Be careful putting a box over the tumbler. You contain all the heat coming from the motor and shorten the life of the motor.

#6 10 months ago

I find tumblers to be a waste of time and not worth the bother. I bought one years ago, and found there was as much clean-up of the parts as I was doing by hand(once you include picking the media out of parts), and it was noisy and loud. So I switched back to just polishing parts by hand...this solution clearly isn't for everybody. )

Anyways...I'll sell you my Lyman tumbler cheap is you want it...I never use it. It's one of these:

pasted_image (resized).png

Send me a PM if interested...

Sean

#7 10 months ago

I have 50 metal 2 piece posts to clean off of a GTB Ks&Qs, not doing those by hand

#8 10 months ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

I use a rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight and it works great.

I was just looking at the floor model duel drum. I could not figure how the covers would secure. It seemed to have a rubber disc with a wing nut but after tightening it as much as I could the cover slid right off?

I was foreseeing a mess if lid falls off.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I have 50 metal 2 piece posts to clean off of a GTB Ks&Qs, not doing those by hand

As I said Ken...this solution isn't for everybody.

But to me, you're going to spend almost as much time cleaning the media out from the cavities under the post, and the holes the screws go into...then there's the screws...at least some of the metal posts don't get that crap stuck in there, unlike the screw heads.

And 50's not too bad...I recently 42 times 3 of those on my "Bank-a-Flipper Pool" project where I took one BAB and three FPs and made 1 BAB and 2 FPs...two of those FPs were parts already. Regardless of the numbers, I find it therapeutic, and like any tedious activity(replacing molex connectors on SS pins comes to mind), once you get a system down they go fast. Certainly faster than tumbling them for XX hours...YMMV.

Sean

#10 10 months ago

OH...and BTW, I guess the OP wasn't interested in my noisy house shaking overkill machine, so if anyone else wants one of these cheap, just LMK...I can bring it to Allentown... ;o)

Hmmm...perhaps I'm not the best salesman...lol

Sean

#11 10 months ago

I agree with stoomer, I have 1 vibrating tumbler and 2 barrel tumblers. The only thing I use them for anymore is to shine up the tokens for the slot machines. I polish all the pinball parts by hand. It goes fast and I don't have to wait hours (days) on them. I can take something off, polish it and put it back on in minutes.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheWiz:

I agree with stoomer, I have 1 vibrating tumbler and 2 barrel tumblers. The only thing I use them for anymore is to shine up the tokens for the slot machines. I polish all the pinball parts by hand. It goes fast and I don't have to wait hours (days) on them. I can take something off, polish it and put it back on in minutes.

Makes sense. For me, it’s about my time. If I have say 3 hours in the evening (after work, and before it gets so late my wife gets pissed because I’m still out working on my games), I’d rather spend that time doing some other part of my restoration (say building a stepper or painting a cabinet, or whatever) and let the machine do the tedious polishing work at the same time.

I haven’t had a problem with getting walnut media stuck in / taken out of the screws and posts.

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I was just looking at the floor model duel drum. I could not figure how the covers would secure. It seemed to have a rubber disc with a wing nut but after tightening it as much as I could the cover slid right off?

I was foreseeing a mess if lid falls off.

This is why I haven't used my HF tumbler yet. I'm concerned abut a big mess in the storage room if the lid comes off.

#14 10 months ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

OH...and BTW, I guess the OP wasn't interested in my noisy house shaking overkill machine, so if anyone else wants one of these cheap, just LMK...I can bring it to Allentown... ;o)
    Hmmm...perhaps I'm not the best salesman...lol
    Sean

I am leaning more toward the rotary tumbler for noise, and live in Sac CA, so not sure where you are re shipping your vibrating tumbler. I polish all bigger parts with buffing wheel and like the result, but after the 30th screw head or pf plastics nut, really wanting a tumbler for the small parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 28.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    € 45.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 89.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside