IMG_20160319_170454524_HDR_(resized).jpg
Well_packed_(resized).JPG
flipper_view_(resized).JPG
apron_view_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160210_192345343_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160210_192402339_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160210_192515879_HDR_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160210_193210992_HDR_(resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hi,

Would you believe it; you wait for several years for a source for Tommy Blinders and then two turn up at the same time!

Having had a Tommy machine for some time that was missing the Blinders assembly (but it did have the servo controller board), and being unable to source the elusive blinders I decided to design and manufacture a replacement. I am qualified in electronics, software and mechanical engineering so felt confident in getting a solution that would work.

Work started in December using FreeCAD and after a few prototypes and lots of testing I have a very solid working solution comprising of the mounting base plate, top blinder, bottom blinder, arm, servo and return spring. They will be supplied as a complete working assemble; just attach to the the playfield, plug into the servo controller (available from Marco if you do not have one), adjust and you are good to go. Please note that this is a complete redesign and as such the part are not compatible with the original design.

It is pure chance that my blinders mechanism and the excellent looking solution from biglebowski have appeared at the same time. We are not connected in any way and both solutions have been developed individually. What do they say about buses!

Please find below a few images of the blinders and assembly.

They are currently on sale on Ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322004812189?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

Thanks for looking.
Bakerman

IMG_20160210_193236449_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20160210_193236449_HDR_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160210_193210992_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20160210_193210992_HDR_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160210_192515879_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20160210_192515879_HDR_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160210_192402339_(resized).jpgIMG_20160210_192402339_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160210_192345343_(resized).jpgIMG_20160210_192345343_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Are you considering making more of these?
And how much would they be to make? I can't imagine them being very cheap.

#3 8 years ago

Wow...nice work. Man I can't tell you how many time I heard that you should knock some 700 bucks form a Tommy if the blinders are missing. The fear is over. Thanks

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback. Yep, I am thinking of selling them and the would be a lot less than 700 bucks! I have a set on ebay at the moment and I was going to let the market decide the price; if they go for a price that makes it interesting for me to make some more I will; if they go very cheaply I probably will not bother. What price I find "interesting" is to be decided!

#5 8 years ago

Well I got outbid hard.
Let me know if you consider making more in the future, even if you have to increase the price a little more.

#6 8 years ago

Great work Bakerman . I was the lucky bidder today, and I'm thrilled to be that much closer to getting the blinders working (just need controller board).

I hope the "market price" was enough to encourage you and/or others to move forward, so Maurice and other owners can finally have a source for this rare part. The other possibility is that the cost of 3D printing TODAY makes it too costly; but the design has been done and it's just a matter of waiting for cheaper printing (hopefully soon).
Thanks again

#7 8 years ago

Well done Da_Vagrant; hard lines MauriceSTYS! I will package them up today and they will be collected tomorrow morning.

The market has spoken and the market has decided on a price of 152Euro. This is just about sufficient to cover the costs so I will go ahead and get a few sets made and at least I can be happy in knowing that a few more Tommys will be complete. Just to confirm that the price will be 152Euro for a complete and fully assembled and tested Blinders assembly (top blinder , bottom blinder, mounting bracket, servo arm, servo and return spring). I am sorry that I cannot do anything on the shipping costs.

I expect it to be couple of weeks before the new parts arrive so please be patient. When they arrive I will put a set on Ebay, but if anyone would prefer to deal directly with me (still using PayPal) I can take 5Euro off the price as we can share the Ebay commission costs saved.

DaVagrant, I was thinking about doing a very low cost controller board as well, but as there are solutions out there I did not bother. It may be something for the future but I have many other projects that I am looking at to commit to this.

Thanks for looking.

#8 8 years ago

Great to see that this seems to be working out for all involved! Maurice might even end up saving 5euro

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Just a quick update. I am manufacturing three complete assemblies at the moment that should be ready for the end of next week (there is quite a lot of printing involved). One unit is reserved for Maurice, so if you are interested in either of the other two please let me know. I will only be printing more, in small batches, if people ask for them; I will not be holding them in stock.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

Just wanted to update that Bakerman was excellent to deal with on the transaction. Blinders arrived promptly (France to Canada), safely packed (bubble wrapped, plus airbags all around), and were as advertised (complete assembly: base, servo, arm, blinders).

Some install notes that others might find helpful... I used finishing nails to loosely test mount the blinders, so that I didn't accidentally torque it down when it was hung up somewhere. At first they seemed to sit too low, such that they were resting/dragging on the 45-degree flap at the trough entry (see photo from flipper view). I tried shimming with washers, but they were still too low. Even with shims, a tab on the trailing edge was now hitting the same flap(see apron view photo).

At this point it seemed clear that the problem was my game . After 22 years of balls crashing into the out-hole, I imagine that the problem flap had been bent up . It took very little pressure to bend it back down ~1/8" and then everything fit great and moved freely Should also be noted that the enclosed instructions point out that the odd little metal flap on the left underside of the apron needs to be bent up to make sure there is clearance.

Now just need to find a reasonably priced servo control board, and a scan of the eye decals.

Thanks again Bakerman!

apron_view_(resized).JPGapron_view_(resized).JPG

flipper_view_(resized).JPGflipper_view_(resized).JPG

Well_packed_(resized).JPGWell_packed_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback; I'm very happy to know that another Tommy is on the way to being a complete working machines again. Good luck with the servo controller. I was going to design one of those as the same time but saw that there are already other options out there. It maybe something that I get around to later in the year as it would not take long to do.

Really appreciate the information about the outhole metal flap; I will add it to the installation notes. Is it OK to use your two images for the explanation?

I will send you a file including the eyes. It is not the very best resolution but it seemed fine for me. Maybe someone out there has a high resolution scan of the eye?

#12 8 years ago

Feel free to use the images however you like. Glad to help in some small way.

I'll watch for the scan, thanks!

1 week later
#13 8 years ago

As promised I have gone ahead and manufactured three complete mechanisms (see photo).

Please let me know if you want a set; MauriceSTYS are you still taking one? Please pm me.

When these have gone I will not be making anymore without enough orders to make another small batch like these.

On to my next project; designing replacement parts for my Nell log mechanism!

IMG_20160319_170454524_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20160319_170454524_HDR_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

Two of the three sets have now been taken; one left looking for a good home in a Tommy.

#15 8 years ago

All the assemblies are now taken, so please contact me if you need one as it will have to be made to order. Thanks for looking.
Mike

#16 8 years ago

Today I got my blinders from Bakerman.
It was well packaged and undamaged.

Installation was extremely easy as it's a simple drop-in replacement for the whole thing (excluding the servo board).
I had no problems with any parts coming too close to the blinders or any other part.

Blinderless Tommy:
http://i.imgur.com/fhX6j.jpg

Rubber of questionable purpose and questionable origin removed:
http://i.imgur.com/tuyxWFr.jpg

New blinders installed. Even came with the screws (thanks)!
http://i.imgur.com/WCiIwoB.jpg

I also made two videos:

Testing the blinders. Don't mind the screwdriver in the bottom right; without the apron on, the top blinder collides with the playfield hanger in an ugly way. With the apron, it perfectly aligns with the rubber strip glued to the inside of it.

Some gameplay that shows the blinders working and my lack of one-handed pinball skills.

Thank you very much, Bakerman!

#17 8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that the installation was as easy as I designed it to be.

I like your red rubbers on the flippers; they almost look like a gel. I will have to change mine out from the boring black that I have!

Enjoy your Tommy.

#18 8 years ago

Tried to make a better template for the eyes.
http://i.imgur.com/N9qkiuM.png
Don't cut along the circles, cut circles with a radius of 1 mm less.

#19 8 years ago

Hey Maurice, thanks for sharing these. They look much better than the file that I have. I will reprint the stickers using your new file and replace mine I think.

1 week later
#20 8 years ago

I also want to chime in that I bought a set and it was well worth it and easy to install!! This set doesn't need the bracket or motor (just servo board). Definitely worth every dollar! Shipping from Europe was extremely fast too!

#21 8 years ago

Well, I'm going ahead and getting another three sets made. One set has been reserved, one set might be taken, so that leaves a third. PM me if interested.
Thanks for looking.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Update: The three sets have been printed and I hope to find time to assemble them next week.

#23 7 years ago

Well, I have been assembling them today and will test the three sets tomorrow.

Two of the three sets have been sold and will go out on Friday. Gump79; I reserved the last set for you as you "definitely" wanted the, but you don't answer my e-mails. Do you still want this final set or can I let someone else have them?

I have had a few questions about the servo controller board and how it can be tested to see if there is a servo problem or servo controller board problem. This is not a definitive test but you can measure the voltage level on the signal line whilst your Tommy is in blinder test mode:

Red contact is the +5V line.
Centre contact is the 0V line.
The last contact is the signal used to control the servo.

With a DMM set to DC volts you should get:

Blinders closed: 0.64V between 0V and signal.
Blinders open: 0.38V between 0V and signal.

Do not get to hung up and getting the exact voltages as above, it is more important that there is a discernable change in voltage between the two different states. I hope that will help anyone wanting to see if their controller board is working before ordering any blinders.

#24 7 years ago

All gone. I do not plan to make any more at the moment. If anyone needs one in the future please let me know, but I will need to produce them in small batches to keep the costs under control. Maybe a waiting list?

1 week later
#25 7 years ago

I received my set of Blinders yesterday. Quality is amazing! Shipping was incredibly fast. Install and tuning took about 5 min. Literally Plug and Play. I've played this game for 3 years without and didn't realize what I was missing until last night. Thanks again for making these!

4 weeks later
#26 7 years ago

Having received an order for a set I have decided to go ahead and manufacture another three sets. Please let me know if you want one of the remaining two sets. Thanks.

1 month later
#27 7 years ago

Well, the three sets have been completed and one set sent out to a customer here in France. I will keep the other two sets in stock until sold.

#28 7 years ago

Great seller! Great product! If you're on the fence on this one don't be

2 months later
#29 7 years ago

One more assembly sold, leaving one set left in stock. It would seem that the market has been satisfied for now so when the final one goes I will only make new ones on demand, as and when needed. Unfortunately, the change from making three at a time to one at a time will result in a price increase form 152 Euro to 190 Euro for the complete assembly. So grab yourself a bargain if you want the last one at 152 Euro!

#30 7 years ago

All gone. Please contact me if you want an assembly making. Thanks for all the positive feedback and purchases.

2 months later
#31 7 years ago

Just to let everyone know that Best Of Pinball in Germany will soon have these in stock and they will be acting as exclusive distributor in Germany. I can and will be happy to take orders directly of course.

3 weeks later
#32 7 years ago

Just received and installed my assembly ... fits perfect, works perfect ... I can only recomend this one!

2 months later
#33 7 years ago

Now back in stock at Best Of Pinball, or available from me.

#34 7 years ago

Hello people, I had what I believed to be a unique situation, not only was the blinder assembly missing but the servo board and even the connector was cut away at the middle of the harness. Anything associated with this very necessary feature was removed.
Mike's work on this is just amazing and complete, down to the screws to mount the it in the game, so his effort and work, hands down perfect. Thank you and couldn't be happier. But there's more and that's something many don't bother to take the time for and that's his let's call it customer service for now, he guided me through this by providing tech help ,pictures that were a pain to get from his own game , and back and forth email because I literally had no direction with this because some crazy person took everything out. So thanks to Mike it got done , he won me over with his professionalism and willingness to help me out, greatly appreciated man. Oh don't allow the distance to distract you from dealing with Mike, this box somehow beat domestic packages i ordered I didn't believe that it came so fast. Highly recommended.

1 month later
#35 6 years ago

Hi,

A little off topic, but I installed a shaker motor in my TOMMY yesterday. See:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/13

and printed a new part for my R&B Nell Log. See:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/15

Cheers.

3 months later
#36 6 years ago

I had someone order a few of these together so I have gone ahead and had some extras made at the same time. Therefore I can currently supply the blinder assembly from stock.

Cheers.

#37 6 years ago

Just wanna chime in that the set I bought 18 months ago still works great and I haven't had any problems yet.

#38 6 years ago

Thanks Maurice - great pinsider and very happy that your TOMMY is still with you; never selling mine.

#39 6 years ago

Thank you very much Maurice. The blinders are great and works great. My #Tommy is now complete. Pleasure to do business with you.
Muchas gracias Maurice. El abanico es genial y funciona perfecto. Mi #Tommy está ahora completa. Un placer tratar contigo.

#40 6 years ago

Thanks for the positive words Manoliki. Just to avoid any confusion I am Bakerman, not Maurice.
Cheers.

3 months later
#41 6 years ago

Just picked up a set of these blinders from Bakerman with TNT Repo blinder board. Awesome service...they arrived super fast...and more importantly work awesome. I bought a Tommy with nothing...and had no knowledge of how the blinders worked. Super easy to install..grab the repo board from TNT and these. Everything needed was included including standoffs and screws!

#42 6 years ago

Thank you!!! Frank did a great job on these...he is hoping to make a repro Frankenstein head board ---he has to get a Frankenstein in so he can make a prototype first and test it...so it will happen at some point! Order from our website store on the home page www.tntamusements.com it is $85 plus shipping...board and a new servo motor is included! Here is the video showing it!

#43 6 years ago

I have a TNT blinder board and Novice as I am I was able to perfectly adjust the blinders to even them out today using the added adj. screws which are clutch. The old adage is true... you get what you pay for. These days everyone freaks out over pricing but if you don't do all the work yourself - it will cost you to get quality workmanship. TNT overhauled my TOmmy this summer and I've emailed TOdd plenty of times since then- He has always responded Immediately with clutch information to help me out with whatever issue I was having. If I lived closer to their shop I'd be there all the time.

Anyway, +1 to the TNT BLinder Board and a big shout out to TOdd for always taking time out to help me out. That's the type of service that builds loyalty.

#44 6 years ago

Sounds like the TNT servo board is an excellent solution and a perfect match for my repro blinders.

2 months later
#45 6 years ago

G'day Bakerman just got a tommy machine and am missing the blinders.
do you still make the units

#46 6 years ago

Hi topcat, PM me and I'm sure that I can get you sorted.

#47 6 years ago

I'm curious, how much do these cost you? We got a professional model of these for 3d printing, but the printers wanted like $150 each. Which was obviously not realistic.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

One more assembly sold, leaving one set left in stock. It would seem that the market has been satisfied for now so when the final one goes I will only make new ones on demand, as and when needed. Unfortunately, the change from making three at a time to one at a time will result in a price increase form 152 Euro to 190 Euro for the complete assembly. So grab yourself a bargain if you want the last one at 152 Euro!

As the last one sold ages ago I now sell the complete assembly (blinders, mounting bracket, servo, return spring, fixings and eyes) for 190€ plus shipping. They have all been assembled and tested on my TOMMY.

I went through the pain of designing and making these as I could not have my TOMMY not having the very thing that makes the game so unique!

PM me if you need them.

3 weeks later
#49 6 years ago

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Bakerman for my blinder. Got them in no time and went in without a hitch.
My tommy now is complete

1 month later
#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

As the last one sold ages ago I now sell the complete assembly (blinders, mounting bracket, servo, return spring, fixings and eyes) for 190€ plus shipping. They have all been assembled and tested on my TOMMY.
I went through the pain of designing and making these as I could not have my TOMMY not having the very thing that makes the game so unique!
PM me if you need them.

Heya - any plans for more? Need one here!

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-tommy-blinders-repro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.