Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by blubboman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The trunk strikes again. So every now and then the trunk will get stuck mid rotation. It seems to be happening mostly durring multiball. I checked in the diagnostic and I'm not getting any errors. If you restart the machine the trunk resets itself and acts fine for a little while then acts up again...any ideas?

Ps I know this sounds like the error that happens when it gets hit in rapid succession twice, but that's not what is happening here.

#2 6 years ago

You need the PC board that one of the members fabricated, it's easy to install and stops this issue, mine used to do it for years before I added it.

#3 6 years ago

I have recently had this problem. I installed the Ingo "Leon fix" board per,
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this/page/13#post-3708019

The description of how this board works seem to definitely address these trunk stops. You should also make sure the round opto interrupter is not slipping on the bottom of the mechanism.

Sadly, after a fair number of games, another stuck trunk! I actually just pulled my trunk gearbox apart and installed a replacement motor and gear and relubed the gearbox. Way back, someone mentioned the motor can wear out (not sure the actual mechanism here, increased resistance or something??) but the motor rotates to a dead spot and can't be electrically driven to keep turning. The load of the gear train probably makes this worse.

This cause seems a little strange because I think the symptom is pretty much the same for everyone - the trunk turns about 45 degrees (counterclockwise from the top) and then stops. It won't turn again during that game, but if you go into test, it will turn and may work for several games before having the issue again. It doesn't seem to stop rotating anywhere else. This implies the trunk rotation all the way through the gear train to the motor gear and motor position always wears and stops on this dead spot on every TOM ever made! Plus the motor has turned many times to get to this point given the gear ratios in the gearbox. Why didn't it stop earlier or later?? The board seems like the correct fix.

Anyway, so far it is working. The new motor is more snappy too. This is the motor: ebay.com link: itm

Good luck!

#4 6 years ago

Oops - I forgot, clean the trunk optos with a QTip. The motor change is a last resort.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Petaluma, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-tom-trunk-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.