(Topic ID: 266433)

Surf Champ: 500 pt targets score 600-700pts.

By Aper-caper

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Score reel (resized).jpg
Surf Champ M relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

This week I went through a Flipper Fair and today consentrated why at times it scored
60 points (sometimes 70) when the 50 Point Relay energized. I have no slow-mo, but
I could swear the 10 Point Relay pulse 5 smooth times, so I once again went through the
10's Score Reel, and no change. Although the Score Motor's switch looked properly gaped,
I adjusted the switch that rides on the cam to have a little more tension on the cam, and put a
little more gap between the switches, and that did the trick. It has to be while the 10
Point Relay was on it's way back from the energized position, it once in a while did an extra
(actually maybe like 50%) extra pulse because the Score Motor switch was a little loose/flimsy..

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Aper-caper:

I'm hesitant to mess with it on the basis that 5,000 points score fine.

And I have a Surfer but forgot about it having a 5,000 point relay..
Not on a pinball, but on a ball bowler, it was scoring a strike while
on a double strike (30 points) radically. The contacts on the 10 - 90
Relay was a little loose and bouncy. 1 pulse was fine, but not always 3 pulses.
I put a little more pressure on the 10 - 90 Relay's longer switches so that the
relay was a little more stiffer and retracted back to the un-energized position
more firmly, and that solved the problem.
Surfer's switches are much shorter than the 50s and 60s ball bowler switches
which would decrease the chances of that being the problem, but maybe worth a
look.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Aper-caper:

Maybe I'll try slow motion video capture of 1A score motor switch next...it is in a line of site fortunately.

Like you had stated, if the 5,000 Points are registering properly, I wouldn't think the A1 would be the
problem. The contacts are much shorter on the Surf Champ than on a 60s Ball Bowler, but what I meant
in the other post, I had a Score Relay that must have been a little loose and the contacts must have been
a little bouncy and at times it would add an addition number or two because once in a while the switch must have
been flimsy and doing a double take, so what I did is stiffen it up by twisting the longer switches that go through
the plastic piece that have slotted openings with a contact adjuster. This made the Relay plate return back in
the non-energized position a little more firmly which kept the blades from being flimsy/bouncy..
I guess with a combination of a couple things, it could be the A1, but I'd think maybe it would point to the
100s Point Relay when giving multiple pulses.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Aper-caper:

Below are links to slow motion video of M relay,

It seems at times the 100s Point Relay is doing a little jump. Perhaps the 1,000 Point Relay
is a little stiffer and a somewhat bouncy A1 switch doesn't effect it like it does the 100 Point
Relay. It might be worth looking at that A1 switch once again and with a contact adjuster give
it a little twist so that it's against the cam a little more firmly. Also if possible, maybe adjust a little
more space between the A1 contacts..
I know they have close tolerance, but perhaps a little more gap can also be made on the 100s set of contacts that fire the score reel..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-surf-champ-scoring-problem-?tu=Mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.