• 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Reefkeep
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13201bf89ffd8e9a9ac001cccd095d61ee9ace7f (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_183500 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhavoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Folks... I wanted to replace the noisy fan on my Munsters Spike2 Power Supply but also maintain the CFM (and even increase it)... but as you know, the 40mm fans have their limits if you want to stay quiet and maintain the CFM.

I made a small manifold that allows you to easily put a 60mm fan into the stock 40mm mount on the Spike2 Power Supply... the manifold uses a 'dummy' fan frame to replace the original fan and then sticks up and out but still flush with the backbox.

Here is a google album showing before, parts and after - https://photos.app.goo.gl/8DDXhdbAXgxSeUwE7

Original Stern Fan 34dB 11.3 CFM
Pinball Monk Quiet 13dB 5.5 CFM
60mm Adapter 19dB 12.6 CFM

I cannot hear the 19dB fan in a home environment and it has slightly increased cooling over stock!

If people are interested I think I will make up about 25 kits... I can do a kit with the manifold only ($10) and manifold,screws,fan ($20).

NOTE: The kit won't have a Noctua fan, but one that is actually quieter, the Noctua doesn't have a 2-pin connector so it is not 'Plug and Play' it is just one fan I used to test it out.

IMG_20200418_183500 (resized).jpgIMG_20200418_183500 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

I have 4 manifold+dummy sets printing now... if you want to have a sample to give me feedback on, I will be happy to send folks a set for no charge.

but... 2 sets are spoken for already, so I have two sets left.

If after testing you find it insanely awesome or something, you are welcome to $ me.

#14 4 years ago

Per the connection question.... I have the larger fan cable connected in place of the original fan on the same connector, it is running down through the manifold. The smaller part of the print is simply a 'dummy fan frame' that mounts the same and blocks the rectangular holes in the top and bottom of the case lids. You certainly could leave the existing fan in there and just unplug it, but fan blade would create some turbulence and friction and really just can be removed. Alternatively, you could even leave the stock fan in there, and power the larger fan via a power connector or even the 5V on the USB slot of the CPU.

So really it gives you several options. to be honest with you, if you leave the stock fan and power the higher CFM + lower noise fan via the USB, that sorta seems the easiest. You could install the new fan without even removing the Power Supply (which you would need to do if you wanted to unplug the old fan and plug the new fan into the existing temp switched connector). If for some reason the larger fan ever died, the good old stock fan would kick in still AND you would know because you would be able to hear it screaming.

#17 4 years ago

4 samples are spoken for now... they can post feedback once they get them... thanks everyone for the ideas and feedback!

#27 3 years ago

Im still getting the new manifolds send out the the 4 folks that grabbed the 4 samples so I can get get feedback. Finding a 60mm fan to with direct USB wiring is a little more challenging than an 80mm so I am still looking for best fan options. I will start putting the manifolds up on Ebay here this weekend if folks want to get one and source their own fan.

As other posts have said, the stock fan will never come on with this one running (it will come on if this fan either fails or if the power supply overheats for some other reason), but the upside of the stock fan not coming on is that the stock fan is horrendously loud in a home environment and is quite annoying as it cycles every five minutes for 5 seconds.

Im just trying to share options for everyone since I personally find the stock fan to be loud and don't want to disassemble my power supply to replace the stock fan with the PinMonk kit. The PinMonk kit *is* a perfectly fine and great upgrade tho... Im not trying to detract from that in any way. This is just different.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhavoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-spike2-psu-fan-mod?tu=mhavoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.