(Topic ID: 15317)

Another "Special When Lit" Post. Plus Rambling!

By Turkey_Robinson

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Shadow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Turkey_Robinson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I've read numerous posts regarding the SWL doc and despite the mixed reviews, I happen to love this movie. It might be a rather obscured look at the world of pinball, but to me, it's entertaining as all hell! I watched it for the 5th time today and it still gets me smiling at parts. I do have a question about it though. I understand the camera shows you what it wants and due to editing, might not always portray things as they actually are. Anyways....

1) Steve Ritchie comes off as a bit pompous. Does anyone know if that's his actual demeanor? They show him in a publicity video peeling off in a bright red lamborghini (for Getaway, I'm presuming), or he's dressed in a nice, pinstripe suit with a lady at his side. Shots like that do nothing to downplay his cocky nature to me, but I'm sure those only happened because the game companies paid for the promo's to look like that. I've seen a few videos of him on youtube as of late and he doesn't seem as smug. I don't care either way about his attitude, but I am curious if that's what he's really like. And what's with the earbuds he's always wearing?

2) (This one is for the people that actually own the movie on DVD or blu-ray) ASre there any special features included on the disc? I'm really interested in seeing more of the footage they shot from some of the scenes but I don't want to pay 25 bucks only to get home and find out there';s nothing like that on it. What special features are on the disc?

Also, not really on the topic of SWL or Steve Ritchie

3) Do you think pinball will make another resurgence like it did in the 90's?

Maybe we'll see with the popularity of the Jersey Jack pinball company?

It would be great if it did come back. I'm sure all of us on this website would welcome it. As far as the many changes that have been made that carried the game through the years, there's always something to love about pinball. Maybe you weren't completely sold on the Pinball 2000 concept, but not every idea is going to be a winning idea.

And finally,

4) Where do you think pinball is headed in the next 10 years?

I've only had a few opportunities to play some of the newer Stern games that have come out, the latest being the Rolling Stones one, but aside from LED's, slingshots that rifle the ball amazingly hard and a very crisp, hi-fi sound system, I didn't really see much in the way of innovation. Maybe there is a lot more that I'm just not seeing, but that's what I took away from it. Don't get me wrong now. I'm not knocking what Stern is doing. I happened to be the only one of my friends that thought RS was a cool game. I think it's simplicity and it's stripped down characteristics, much like the band itself, makes a very strong showing for what you can do with the basics as long as you can do them well. To me, it doesn't seem like we've really moved past the way games were made back in the mid to late 90's. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that game companies have tried all that there is and they've learned what works and what doesn't after 50+ years of creating a game that essentially comes inside a 4'X2' enclosed box.

I'd really like to hear what people have to say, mainly on the last 2 questions. I love pinball talk so feel free to spill as much as you'd like.

Thanks for reading.

-Josh

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Turkey_Robinson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-special-when-lit-post-plus-rambling?tu=Turkey_Robinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.