Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0646 (resized).JPG
IMG_0645 (resized).JPG
IMG_0643 (resized).JPG
IMG_0644 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

This one has me stumped. I have a solar fire with a rotten dog mph which has been working just fine I got some drop target decals the other day in the mail so I pulled the drop targets down to under the playfield to put on the decals popped them back in and all of a sudden my drop targets when tripped all make the game do crazy things such as trip the out hole ,trip the capture ball spots, trip the knocker and make the game go into tilt. I have taken the targets back out and looked over everything and they seem fine. I ran diagnostics on the mpu and it seems fine as well. I also Cleared the mpu and reset it to my game to see if that would clear it up but nothing seems to work anyone have any ideas what could have caused this????

#4 6 years ago

Pinsiders help... lol

#6 6 years ago

Definitely get a close look at the wiring to the switches on all the drop target banks. Make sure you don't have any diodes or wiring touching any adjacent wiring or anything. If everything was working fine until you were working on the drop targets, that's gotta be where you'll find the solution. If you can't come up with anything, post some pics of the switches on the drop target banks and I'll take a look and see if anything looks amiss.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Definitely get a close look at the wiring to the switches on all the drop target banks. Make sure you don't have any diodes or wiring touching any adjacent wiring or anything. If everything was working fine until you were working on the drop targets, that's gotta be where you'll find the solution. If you can't come up with anything, post some pics of the switches on the drop target banks and I'll take a look and see if anything looks amiss.

Thanks for a response I was getting worried I would be going about this alone. I will double check everything (again) in the morning I have taken them off and inspected them a couple times now but I will give it another shot. Is it possible a component could be failing on my new rottendog mpu board and that could be causing this and touching the drop targets was just a coincidence?

#8 6 years ago

Sure, it's possible. I doubt it though, too coincidental. I just find in my own experience that when i work on something and it doesn't work afterward...90+% of the time it's because i made a mistake. That kind of wacky behaviour definitely sounds like wires could be touching or something like that. I would be surprised if a new board (that was working fine before) would spontaneously develop a problem. Start with the simple stuff! Like i said, send pics if you're unsure. I'm thinking maybe one of the switches wiring terminals may have gotten bent when you were putting on the decals.

#9 6 years ago

When all targets are down it closes a circuit, that's when things go wrong if I understand your post correctly. Is it possible you bend some light socket or something else outside the drop target bank that is now making contact where it shouldn't?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

When all targets are down it closes a circuit, that's when things go wrong if I understand your post correctly. Is it possible you bend some light socket or something else outside the drop target bank that is now making contact where it shouldn't?

Actually it's any of the top level drop targets each one (drop target) causes a different action on the playfield.

#11 6 years ago

I agree with frunch. It has to be the wiring to the switches or a diode problem. Look at the switch matrix, and that might narrow down your search.

#12 6 years ago

I have gone over this whole bottom playfield and can't seem to find anything wrong I even cur out a connector that I thought may be a problem and nope I am stumped.... I attached a few pictures of the drop target switches sorry if they didn't come out good best I can do with the angle.

IMG_0644 (resized).JPGIMG_0644 (resized).JPG

IMG_0643 (resized).JPGIMG_0643 (resized).JPG

IMG_0645 (resized).JPGIMG_0645 (resized).JPG

IMG_0646 (resized).JPGIMG_0646 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Any other ideas???

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Tools
Pincoder Store

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-solar-fire-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.