5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Enaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Enaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a smdm soundboard that has horrible loud scratchy sounds. I can hear the sounds behind all the scratchy mess of a sound that is coming out.
When I adjust the pots, the scratching is crazy. At minimum level all sound goes away, but it gets loud quickly. It's a mess of a sound.
This is a project restoration. When I first got it I did the basic checkups and fired it up. It played a game for a few minutes with good sound. Then the sound went all scratchy. I've completed the restoration and the game is great, except for the sound.

Here's what I've done so far:
Verified header pin continuity on the soundboard
Installed cap kit
Reseated socketed chips

I used another soundboard from another smdm and it worked great. So, that means my problem is isolated to this soundboard.
I don't know what to do next.
I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Thanks!

#5 5 years ago

The scratchy sound is pops, clicks and garbage. It's loud. The volume does change somewhat with the pot, but doesn't change gradually. And I have cleaned the pots. Anyway, I pulled out U9, the op amp, and now the sound is fine. Just a little quiet since it isn't being amplified much.
The sound can be heard and is good, so it will work in a pinch. Would be nice if it was just a little louder, though.
So, I think my problem is a bad U9. Do you agree?

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that the op amp replacement UA741CP worked like a charm! Soundboard is working great now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Enaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-six-million-dollar-man-as-2518-50-with-sound-board-problems?tu=Enaud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.