(Topic ID: 42408)

Another sign that pinball is on the rise.

By Technophobia

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

performance1d.jpg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

The popular boy band "One Direction" is on tour with a pinball themed backdrop. I'm sure the music is shite but any publicity is good publicity for pinball when it comes to the masses.

performance1d.jpgperformance1d.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Please Stern, don't make a 1D pin.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Maybe if they do it they can borrow the bashing optimus in the nuts design but just have 5 ramps leading to each band member! Hit em' in the nads to stop the music playing!

#4 11 years ago

There was a pinball machine in the bar scene on the Walking Dead the other night.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

There was a pinball machine in the bar scene on the Walking Dead the other night.

Yeah I saw that too, I liked in the first season they had a NBA Fast break and World Poker Tournament

#6 11 years ago

I bet if they were interviewed and was asked about pinball, it would go something like this:

"So any of you guys play pinball?"
    "Yea, I got it on my phone"
    "No, I mean like a real one"
    "There's a real pinball?"

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I bet if they were interviewed and was asked about pinball, it would go something like this:
    "So any of you guys play pinball?"
    "Yea, I got it on my phone"
    "No, I mean like a real one"
    "There's a real pinball?"

I imagine it would be like
    "so what's the story behind the pinball back drop at your concerts"
    "the pin what back drop?"

#8 11 years ago

If this is a sign then I would rather pinball be dead.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

If this is a sign then I would rather pinball be dead.

Victoria's Secret did a pinball themed bit at their big 2012 fashion show. Sounds cool, right? Hot half dressed models and pinball? Hell yes. Only one thing could ruin that....

#10 11 years ago

Who and where do people wear clothes like that? Or is this for Halloween or something? Its not bad to watch when you mute it.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Only one thing could ruin that....

Do you think he would even know what to do with any of that?

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Technophobia:

but any publicity is good publicity for pinball when it comes to the masses.

Judging by the looks of that backdrop, I'm not so sure about that.

#13 11 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean but I think any exposure pinball gets from the masses is good for the future of the game. It's a way to get kids interested in something most of them have only heard of or played video versions of. If it creates interest in any way it can only be good for the advancement of the game.

I recently took a 6yr old girl and her 9yr old sister to their first real arcade (read: classic games and pins). They had never played a pin before but knew that their father's favorite band is The Who and that Pinball Wizard was his favorite album. Once they played they were hooked and now expect to go play pinball every time they see me. Could you imagine never having played, or seen in person, a pin until you we're almost 10yrs old?

#14 11 years ago

My husband wasn't allowed in arcades and hadn't played a real pin until we bought one last June. He's 33. My mom used to take me to the arcades all the time, and now that I'm "grown up" with a house big enough to hold them, and since there are none in town at all, I own them. My niece was just born 1 week ago, and I already informed my sister that she will play pinball as soon as she can stand up and do it.

#15 11 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean

What I'm referring to is the potential for some seriously lame themes. I've had my fill of those lately.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I already informed my sister that she will play pinball as soon as she can stand up and do it.

That's awesome. I indoctrinate the children in my family as well.

#17 11 years ago

That boy band crap means that pinball is on the decline . First pinball's sales will fall , Then pinball will get a major drug problem , and then years later when no one cares pinball will finally admit that it's gay.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

What I'm referring to is the potential for some seriously lame themes. I've had my fill of those lately.

That's kind of my point. New (lame) themes like boy bands and Disney (non Marvel) characters will create more interest among little shavers.

#19 11 years ago

That's kind of my point. New (lame) themes like boy bands and Disney (non Marvel) characters will create more interest among little shavers.

I don't disagree with you, I'd just have trouble stomaching the Bieber pin.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

My husband wasn't allowed in arcades and hadn't played a real pin until we bought one last June. He's 33. My mom used to take me to the arcades all the time, and now that I'm "grown up" with a house big enough to hold them, and since there are none in town at all, I own them. My niece was just born 1 week ago, and I already informed my sister that she will play pinball as soon as she can stand up and do it.

Wasn't allowed in arcades whaaaa?????????

Man....I practically grew up in arcades!

#21 11 years ago

Oops!!! DP

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Wasn't allowed in arcades whaaaa?????????

He grew up under a religious rock, and arcades were evil. Dont worry, I have fully corrupted him now.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

He grew up under a religious rock, and arcades were evil. Dont worry, I have fully corrupted him now.

Sure, because developing problem solving skills and eye-hand coordination is evil......I get it.

#24 11 years ago

I love pinball. It is not on the rise.

#25 11 years ago

The only thing good for pinball to the masses is something that communicates that the games are not about 'keeping the ball alive and watching it hit things' and are instead more like a mechanical video game that has story, objectives, missions and even bosses.

I'm not joking when I say that literally everyone I talk to who has never really played pinball before is completely surprised when I explain to them how in-depth a pinball game really is. And how much fun they have when they play mine and discover this for themselves.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

My school bus stop during grade school, was in front of a real Penny Arcade.

It was one of the last remnants of the once great Lakeview Park in Dracut Mass.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I'd just have trouble stomaching the Bieber pin.

Same here. A Pixar pin would be cool.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

I love pinball. It is not on the rise.

It's a lot better than what it was 5 years ago!

Back in 2008, I was just waiting for Stern's announcement to say that they were closing their doors.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

The only thing good for pinball to the masses is something that communicates that the games are not about 'keeping the ball alive and watching it hit things' and are instead more like a mechanical video game that has story, objectives, missions and even bosses.
    I'm not joking when I say that literally everyone I talk to who has never really played pinball before is completely surprised when I explain to them how in-depth a pinball game really is. And how much fun they have when they play mine and discover this for themselves.

Agreed. My friend came to play JP so i printed out the rulebook I found online, about 35 printed pages. She had no idea that pins had modes or objectives, just thought you hit the ball around to get a score.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

I love seeing pinball on TV! A recent episode of White Collar had a scene in a taxi garage. A bunch of cabbies were hanging out in the background taking turns playing - what else - Taxi!

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Victoria's Secret did a pinball themed bit at their big 2012 fashion show. Sounds cool, right? Hot half dressed models and pinball? Hell yes. Only one thing could ruin that....
    » YouTube video

As someone routinely forced to listen to pop music, I actually really enjoyed that video. Thanks for the link! It's one of the better songs out right now, and just this morning on the way to school, my daughter (10) changed the station off that song (she thinks 1D is the shiznit right now, JB's old news) and I told her to put it back on!

Guess I'm not a closed-minded old fart just yet! And don't worry, I make her listen to good music as well. She wants to go to Rush!

But I do refer to One Direction as One Dimension, just to get her goat.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Guess I'm not a closed-minded old fart just yet!

You may not be an old fart but you have horrible taste in music, that is for certain.

#33 11 years ago

The creators are thinking, "I know...let's go retro!" "Stick an old game in there."

The maybe less obvious thing is that they are showing much older back boxes. What this says to me is that they are just trying to be retro and not really showing a more modernized game that exists. They are not into pinball. They are trying to be retro.

It's like being all 50's car hop or something.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I don't disagree with you, I'd just have trouble stomaching the Bieber pin.

A Bieber pin would be stupid...but this kid is the real deal talent wise. If, as he matures, he can shake the "get what you can while you can" Beyonce-esque promotional train BS that values style over substance...and lose the wigga posing that's essential to his current persona, this kid could be a monster. Kinda like Justin Timberlake did.

It all depends on whether or not he's a true artist or not. But this kid has the chops, don't doubt it for a minute.

#35 11 years ago

Put another way, if he can ultimately write and emote like Bruno Mars, JB is gonna be around for a loooooonnnnnggggg time. And that could be a really good thing.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Put another way, if he can ultimately write and emote like Bruno Mars, JB is gonna be around for a loooooonnnnnggggg time. And that could be a really good thing.

You're totally missing my point. I was just using Bieber as an example. I couldn't give a shit about that kid either way, I don't care how talented he is.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Why are we talking about music meant or 12 year old girls? And why is it a good thing? IMO there is nothing worse. Can they sing? Yes. Can they dance? Yes. But I assure you both are absolutely talent free.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from schwarz:

Why are we talking about music meant or 12 year old girls? And why is it a good thing? IMO there is nothing worse. Can they sing? Yes. Can they dance? Yes. But I assure you both are absolutely talent free.

Because that was the topic of the thread, maybe? Why are you being a closed-minded (old?) fart? Who made you the final arbiter of what constitutes talent? JB's making megabucks, are you? That's a talent I'd like to have. Have you porked Selena Gomez?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

My husband wasn't allowed in arcades and hadn't played a real pin until we bought one last June.

Cougar on the loose ....

#40 11 years ago

Why are you being a closed-minded (old?) fart?

To me a defining characteristic of close mindedness is listening to pop. Not researching and finding more original music to listen to but rather being spoon fed shit and eating it.

Have you porked Selena Gomez?

Of course not, she is way too young for me. And still looks like she's 14.

JB's making megabucks, are you?

I do just fine thank you.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

Ha, one of my friend's noticed that the other night as we were watching too

#42 11 years ago

JB's making megabucks, are you? That's a talent I'd like to have. Have you porked Selena Gomez?

You and the Familyarcade should hang out. You guys could take turns putting suck marks on the Bieb's ass.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

What if it was a Ritchie/Lyman pin?

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

What if it was a Ritchie/Lyman pin?

Still, NO!!!

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Cougar on the loose ....

Let me rephrase my original post...
    My husband's idiot parents didnt allow him to go in arcades when he was growing up because they thought they were "evil places where bad things happened." Meanwhile, my mom took me to arcades and we played all the time. Therefore, my husband had never really seen a real one until I bought one and had it shipped to our house, because all the arcades here closed 15 years ago.

I dont think I am old enough to be a cougar, but I would love it if we had arcades here that I could prowl in.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Sure, because developing problem solving skills and eye-hand coordination is evil......I get it.

Well, we certainly wouldn't want him to have seen a boob on a backglass. lol

Poor guy, I am surprised that he turned out so normal. That's probably why we've jumped from 1 pin to 6 in the family since June, and he's all "You know, I think this extra room will hold about 7 pins..." Ha! Got him hooked.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Who and where do people wear clothes like that? Or is this for Halloween or something? Its not bad to watch when you mute it.

Pretty clear you don't have a girlfriend!

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from schwarz:

To me a defining characteristic of close mindedness is listening to pop. Not researching and finding more original music to listen to but rather being spoon fed shit and eating it.

Believe me, I listen to plenty of more original music. I just decided not to hate pop music just because it's popular. Easier that way to indulge my daughter who lost her mother to a car wreck when she was seven. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities. Some of it has groove, if you are open minded.

Close mindedness would be listening to JUST pop. I did say I was forced to listen to it. You should work on your reading comprehension before you go around judging.

Quoted from Honch:

You and the Familyarcade should hang out. You guys could take turns putting suck marks on the Bieb's ass.

Your idea, not mine.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #50 11 years ago

I do know most of those, I hear where you're coming from. Love Ween.

Tally Hall, anyone?

Anyway, have you ever tried to force a ten year old girl to like what you want her to?

Although I'm making headway with Phish...

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-sign-that-pinball-is-on-the-rise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.