image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 8 years ago

If you get Bizarre Foods, check out their Memphis episode.

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There's In-N-Out Burger's all around Las Vegas. If you've never had, you should try it. Won't be as cheap as the fallen arches. But tastes way better.

Good God! Why would you ever eat at McDonald's when In-N-Out is everywhere? Buy a few t-shirts at the corp office and marvel at how no matter where you go when you get back home, somebody will ask you if there is an In-N-Out nearby.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What does the group think?

If that's your thing, do it. Gas is stupid cheap right now.

#189 8 years ago

I know you said you weren't into museums, but I enjoyed the museums more than anything else when we were there.

#197 8 years ago

Eat at the food trucks. That's New York.....

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

That's funny....I grew up in NY, and now live in the South. When I tell people I am from NY they ask me if I have ever been mugged

Maybe they thought you said Philly?

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How cool is that shit?

Any pics of the plunger?

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah but I kept them for the Mrs.
rd

As well you should. I officially withdraw my request to see the plunger.

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bummer. I was just getting the PM typed up.

Aww man! Take your daughter to a museum please. I recommend The American Museum of Natural History. I could have spent a couple days in that place.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I took her to Modern Pinball. Does that count?

Only if she says so.....

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

It was not uncommon
when entering a conventional toilet stall with standard style porcelain stool
to find footprints on the toilet seat.

Time for another squatty potty lesson on ideal bowel movement position....

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

Other than the fact that it has the nice blue thing in it, can you see that this is better, so then there isn't any splash back?! May I use an example of an American toilet, to contrast the last one.

So why are the seats black? Is the thinking "if I can't see any 'stuff' on the toilet seat, it must be clean"?

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We also rode on the new Thunderbolt. Very cool new coaster. Also $20 a ride.

Wow! I guess I'll stop bitchin' about my $200 Universal annual pass.

#309 8 years ago

$10 is still a bit rich for me. Take a family and poof! there goes $40 or $50. Universal Orlando is a great deal. They used to offer buy a year get a year free, but there is so much more to do now. I don't feel bad about it. The concerts alone are worth it.

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

EDIT ... Just checked, indeed the dearest Annual pass for Disneyland is $1049 USD. The cheapest option is $600 USD. F**k the mouse.

We rarely do Disney as it ain't cheap and really not as good as Universal IMO. But the best time to do it is when they are doing Very Merry Christmas. It's a not so secret secret they will let you in if you show up a few hours before it is supposed to start. Once it does start they kick everyone else out of the park. You can ride everything you wanted to ride in just a few hours. Before and after ride the monorails and check out all their hotels' Christmas decorations. It's about the only time Disney truly seems magical to me.

#388 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, an offical shirt like that for a big band like Maiden in NZ is gonna be $40 NZ bucks. Long time since I bought one as I have a drawer full of T Shirts I don't wear already.

As crazy as $40 for a t-shirt sounds. I wear the shi* out of a good t-shirt that I like.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Walmart scooters are the shit!!

To get the full experience you should either run into someone or block their way, or maybe go back and forth way too many times attempting to turn around. A young child hanging dangerously off of it works too. Bonus points if you are wearing something with the Confederate flag or *ote for *rump!

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I purposely reversed it at full speed into the wall at the "parking bay" ... Does that count?

If you had a confused look while doing it, I'll count it

#484 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Interesting. How come supermarkets and Walmarts don't sell beer here? Too much hassle?
rd

Organized Crime....

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ironically, that is what we had for dinner! One beef rib!! But it came with some other stuff.
At Smoq Pit BBQ in Pittsburgh. Not as good as Fette Sau in Brooklyn, but still good. $25 fed the whole family.

Usually the fancier the sign, the shittier the BBQ. Best pulled pork I ever had was at a very nondescript roadside place in Hiawassee Georgia many years ago. It was a real mom and pop sort of place. Went back there a couple years ago and somebody bought it and put up a fancy sign. They didn't even have pulled pork on the menu. You could order chopped pork though. There is a difference that I'm not sure those folks up north are aware of based on those pics you posted. You'll understand when you get to Tennessee.

1 week later
#552 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Good drive ahead today ....

Stay on the Interstate through West Virginia or at least watch Deliverance so you know what to do in a worst case scenario.

#559 8 years ago

I bet you will see lots of "Faces of Meth" billboards and will be asked more than once"You ain't from around here are ya?"

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

ou know all the WV bashing isnt really founded in reality. The whole state isnt full of rednecks and assholes any more than the rest of North America.
The route you are taking is a beautiful drive in october when the leaves are changing colors etc.
Cheers!

Lighten up! Simply lighthearted comments. On a serious note, while it can be beautiful, Southern West Virginia is a backwater of backwaters. The #1 industry is coal (there really isn't a #2) and coal is quite dead. Drug abuse is rampant. I don't know if you will see those Meth billboards in the north, but you sure as hell see them in the south. I last visited roughly 10 years ago and it is not the West Virginia of childhood memory that's for sure.

Back to lightheartedness, the further south you go , the better it gets.

#594 8 years ago

Breakfast is my favorite meal at Cracker Barrel. The nice thing is you can order something simple and small or you can go full Country Boy and that will probably be your last meal of the day ;-D

#618 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

From a very recent visit to Huddle House #791 in New Haven (Ft. Wayne) Indiana.

You gonna go to Huddle House for the first time, you gotta order some fried chicken livers and gizzards.

If you get bored with Gatlinburg, checkout Helen, GA. It's a little bit of a drive but not too bad. Kinda modeled after an Alpine Village. We sometimes rent a cabin in the area. You can go tubing, play some Bingo, drink some beer, and eat German food.

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, you think it'd be hard to gnaw on pigs feet with no teeth ....
Jokes, just jokes!
Only half the people have no teeth.
Jokes, more jokes!!
rd

Be careful. Some of the Pinside citizens of Alabama feel a civic duty to defend their brethren states. You may soon be accused of being a douchebag. Isn't that right BoozeMarlin? Or is RotorDave too cool for that? Sorry to muddy the thread. Think I've had one too many gluten free beers.

#749 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, last minute decision as the girls wanted to go to the new Harry Potter thing that just opened ...
rd

The weather is freaking awesome right now. Enjoy cause it's about to get hot and humid.

#753 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's one long escalator ride isn't it?

Sure as hell beats walking.....

#755 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You wouldn't want to walk up there ... Three escalators worth. Your legs would fall off.
rd

I'm about to renew my annual pass and then not go for roughly 3 or 4 months. Believe me I know.....

#757 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

There is a new The Walking Dead attraction opening in LA, according to some signs I just saw ...
rd

King Kong is next for us and I wouldn't be surprised to see something Walking Dead related afterwards. I think my annual pass is ~$100 more than it was just a few years ago, but for all they give you, no complaints from me. Hell, I get to see Ed for practically free once a year and he sings to me! Can't beat that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.