Topic Stats

• 843 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by freezie
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 427 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
multi-highkicks_(resized).jpg
highkickinthenuts_(resized).jpg
beverly_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
#201 3 years ago

I was in nyc only once but we lived off food trucks for the 5 days I was there. There's a Belgium waffle guy that's unbelievable. Lots of good pulled pork and hoagie/deli sandwiches that are super cheap. Some of the best donairs I've ever had too right by the park and time central square. If you find a meatball guy or place, don't hesitate!

#202 3 years ago

Police in America are apparently like this now

image_(resized).jpeg

The horse was called constable and some people were like "why is he called that?" Well I wonder, since it is a police horse and all that

Also, I didn't realise how many squirrels America had. They. Were. EVERYWHERE. There were so many of them. (Quick note: we don't have squirrels in New Zealand, just in case you didn't know).

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

Everywhere.

#203 3 years ago

Also:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikeynicholson/canned-cheese-should-not-be-a-thing#.vnPQOYwpr

Funny article about the differences between Australia (and New Zealand, too) and America. It's funny because it's true.

#204 3 years ago

RotorDave what do you use for phone and internet whilst in the USA? Do you just take your NZ mobile and use whatever WiFi youcan find? Or do you use an American SIM in your phone? We are heading to the USA next month, would appreciate your advice.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

RotorDave what do you use for phone and internet whilst in the USA? Do you just take your NZ mobile and use whatever WiFi youcan find? Or do you use an American SIM in your phone? We are heading to the USA next month, would appreciate your advice.

I use my NZ Vodafone account while here. For $5 NZ bucks a day i can use my NZ monthly free allocation of 1000 texts, phone calls, and data.

And I use free wifi wherever possible to cut down on my Vodafone data use.

Free wifi is everywhere but it isn't in your rental car when you want to google map some address you want to head to ....

There seem to be a lot of prepay sim options available here but I have never used them.

Remember that the USA uses a different cell band than NZ/Aus. Most new cellphones are now 3 band or 4 band but not all.

rd

#206 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

do you use an American SIM in your phone?

I think your phone has to be 'tweaked' adjusted to suit USA sim cards. i forget the term that is used.Phone shops over there wanted $30 or $50 to do it.I didn't bother and just used the terminals at the hotels to get what I needed.

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

Also:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikeynicholson/canned-cheese-should-not-be-a-thing#.vnPQOYwpr
Funny article about the differences between Australia (and New Zealand, too) and America. It's funny because it's true.

Thank u for sharing. Much to learn for an european local, too.

@RD: Great travel, nice pictures, sweet family! Want to read more .

#208 3 years ago

Great thread Dave-I've just booked all my flights for expo this year so I'm super excited to get to America 8 days in New York and 8 days in Chicago cant wait. Loving all your NY pics

#209 3 years ago

if you have time when you're headed to Dollywood come join volunteerpin and I for some pinball we both live about 40 minutes from Dollywood in Knoxville also when you go to Dollywood check out the price difference between the day pass and a season pass I don't think it is much of a cost difference. Get day passes for your family and at least one season pass. If you have a season pass it gives you free parking and 20% off food and gifts. This will come in handy if you are there more than one day for sure.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

Also:

WTF is the go with the high tide toilets over there? If I moved there I would have to take a regular toilet with me and get it installed.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Great thread Dave-I've just booked all my flights for expo this year so I'm super excited to get to America 8 days in New York and 8 days in Chicago cant wait. Loving all your NY pics

Cool. Chicago is a great city, be sure to have a Chicago deep dish pizza and a Chicago hot dog.

In 2006 we drove from Chicago to NYC via Cedar Point, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., Atlantic city. Big drive but saw heaps of the country.

rd

#212 3 years ago

Ahhh...Cedar Point. That is one FINE place for coasters. My mom lives in Sandusky and I will be visiting Cedar Point this summer. Really would love to see you in Knoxville if you can fit us in.

#213 3 years ago

Tell Danni we have at least 10 squirrels running around the spruce trees and neighbors fence every time I look out living room window. Doesn't help that my wife feeds them peanuts and bird seed. The ones out west here are brown squirrels but in the east they have black ones too. They keep our dog occupied when we go out.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

Tell Danni we have at least 10 squirrels running around the spruce trees and neighbors fence every time I look out living room window. Doesn't help that my wife feeds them peanuts and bird seed. The ones out west here are brown squirrels but in the east they have black ones too. They keep our dog occupied when we go out.

We had an albino family years back and that was cool. I also "use" to feed them. But this time of year they are going post-winter "nuts" (ha ha) and when they ate the decorative buttons from my new lawn furniture I decided the little rodents can starve.

#215 3 years ago

Just walked from 34th down to 13th on the High Line ... A retired elevated train line that has been rejuvenated into a public walkway and park.

They've done it really well. Lots of remnants of its future use still remain. Check out the picture of the old meat rack conveyer that people would use to unload/load carcasses into the train on the railway.

And it's getting plenty of use. A really good example of some forward thinking being applied to reuse something that otherwise would have been torn down.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#216 3 years ago

A part of me is kind of sad for the demise of old New York. It's almost like a theme park now. But I do appreciate the improved safety.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I use my NZ Vodafone account while here. For $5 NZ bucks a day i can use my NZ monthly free allocation of 1000 texts, phone calls, and data.
And I use free wifi wherever possible to cut down on my Vodafone data use.
Free wifi is everywhere but it isn't in your rental car when you want to google map some address you want to head to ....
There seem to be a lot of prepay sim options available here but I have never used them.
Remember that the USA uses a different cell band than NZ/Aus. Most new cellphones are now 3 band or 4 band but not all.
rd

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Things have changed since my last visit, the added option to your phone on your existing plan is a good idea. I think I'll do that too. Have a safe trip!

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

meat rack conveyer

Great band name!

#220 3 years ago

The Freedom Tower is very tall and shiny ...

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#221 3 years ago

After 5 miles of walking (that's so far ...) Danni needed some classic American nutrition.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

After 5 miles of walking (that's so far ...) Danni needed some classic American nutrition.
rd

image_(resized).jpeg

Dunkin Donuts ............ the official trademark of New England!!!

#223 3 years ago

Is that a COP in a DONUT SHOP!?!?

I'm shocked!

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

A part of me is kind of sad for the demise of old New York.

But what was old New York? People say that in the 70s and 80s you couldn't walk down some of the streets without getting stabbed or shot.

The old abandoned areas like the Meatpacking district being rejuvenated from closed roller doors to apartments, restaurants and stores has got to be a good thing for the city.

rd

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm shocked!

Indeed it was.

rd

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm shocked!

LOL I just spat out my drink!

#227 3 years ago

We walked down to Battery Park .. Then over to Staten Island on the Ferry ... Then all the way back to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#228 3 years ago

Then we got the subway out to Sunshine Laundry for Wednesday night league night.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg
It's a secret door!
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

needed some classic American nutrition.

That's funny,
I don't see a whole sheet of cake, 12" burger, 36" pizza, or two racks of ribs in that pic with a 126oz big gulp of Coke to wash it down...
Man, now I'm getting hungry!

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

People say that in the 70s and 80s you couldn't walk down some of the streets without getting stabbed or shot.

That's funny....I grew up in NY, and now live in the South. When I tell people I am from NY they ask me if I have ever been mugged! I think people have a misconception that NY is concrete, and skyscrapers from Buffalo to the Bronx. Yeah, I admit it has cleaned up a lot since the 70's. In 77 I was 10, and my sister and I used to ride the subway from Coney Island to Manhattan by ourselves all the time to see our Mother, and never had a problem.....It was'nt the freakin' Warriors like everyone thinks

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

That's funny....I grew up in NY, and now live in the South. When I tell people I am from NY they ask me if I have ever been mugged

Maybe they thought you said Philly?

#232 3 years ago

Here I am being a tough guy in NY in the early 70's. I'm the one in blue. Armed with a 110 camera, my brother also (but he looks like a tourist). Mom looking hot in her cats eye glasses (RIP). In the NY skyline the towers are near complete. I'll bet you can pin down the week from the construction logs.

We are standing in Jersey. Beelzeboob territory. We took his turf.

TaxmanDoesNY_(resized).jpg

#233 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just walked from 34th down to 13th on the High Line ... A retired elevated train line that has been rejuvenated into a public walkway and park.
They've done it really well. Lots of remnants of its future use still remain. Check out the picture of the old meat rack conveyer that people would use to unload/load carcasses into the train on the railway.
And it's getting plenty of use. A really good example of some forward thinking being applied to reuse something that otherwise would have been torn down.
rd
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Ha you don't even know....

Funtorium on 26th street about 100 feet from Highline entrance!!!

#234 3 years ago

Bummer = getting 4.7b on AFM and getting chased down by Nick Zendejas (aka Zen)

Winner = Zen buying the next round of beers.

image_(resized).jpeg

#235 3 years ago

Hey Dave, not sure of your schedule, but I'm doing my thing April 2nd. Around Chicago

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Hey Dave, not sure of your schedule, but I'm doing my thing April 2nd. Around Chicago

Banger Jayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

You know I would be there with bells on (my nuts) but I have to be at PAPA that week so I have to pass. (((

rd

#237 3 years ago

I should drink a lot of beer more often.

rd

image_(resized).png

#238 3 years ago

Back in the room at 12.45am. So much for the pinball league finishing at 10.30pm haha

Thanks to Zen and friend for the lift back to the city.

I just found out Metal Church are playing at BB kings on Monday night so if any metal guys want to join me there, let me know!!

rd

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

My invite must have gotten lost.

Great pics RD!!

#240 3 years ago

Best of luck in the tourney Danni.

Dave if you make it up to Oregon or Washington first round of pints is on me. Safe travels

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha you don't even know....
Funtorium on 26th street about 100 feet from Highline entrance!!!

I believe we will be there on Saturday for the Belles and Chimes tournament ... Danni and Fiona can come and have a play.

rd

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

but I have to be at PAPA that week so I have to pass. (((

just so you know Dave, you NEED to reroute your trip!

I think you are a week off on your plans for PAPA??? That is the week of April 8-10. Jays is before that.

the thing at Banger's is the highlight of the year for pinball events!!!!!!

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the thing at Banger's is the highlight of the year for pinball events!!!!!!

I bet!

You know I would be there if I could. You Wisconsin/Illinois guys are crazy!

rd

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I just found out Metal Church are playing at BB kings on Monday night/blockquote>

Beyond the Black!!!

You know I would be there with bells on (my nuts) but I have to be at PAPA that week so I have to pass. (((rd

If you go this week (April 2nd) you will be a week too early!!

#245 3 years ago

RD - question for you ...... the one pic of Dani with the KISS shirt on .... is there a law in Ozland that everyone must own a KISS shirt?? I think your country is solely responsible for keeping Kiss going all these years!!!

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

If you go this week (April 2nd) you will be a week too early

Yep! Wrong week ... We leave NYC and head to a couple of roller coaster parks, Six Flags Great America and then Hershey Park. THEN on to PAPA.

rd

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

RD - question for you ...... the one pic of Dani with the KISS shirt on .... is there a law in Ozland that everyone must own a KISS shirt?? I think your country is solely responsible for keeping Kiss going all these years!!!

If I was from Ozland. .

Yes, KISS are huge in Australia. I have been there a heap of times to catch them play live. I was front row at the KISS Alive 4 with the Orchestra, you can see me on the DVD for exactly 1/2 of a second haha.

Amped for Metal Church on Monday. My first gig in NYC. I believe Eddie Trunk is going to be there too which is cool ...

rd

image_(resized).jpg

#248 3 years ago

Awesome pics guys. Great job Danni !
RD I heard the new Metal Church track on XM yesterday ; sounded old-school good. Have a great show/ rest of trip.
And what the hell is a beetroot ?

#249 3 years ago

So you Kiwis get "That Metal Show" then ? The only show on tv that I dvr. Jim Florentine is just zany (!) :
" I own 954 black concert t shirts, and my wife hates every, single, one of em."...lol.

#250 3 years ago

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet you; but I did talk to your daughter Danni during the second qualifying round on Saturday at Pinmasters in Vegas. I think she was one hole behind our group. Nice kid.

My daughter was there as well...just wish we all could have done better qualifying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 21.00
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside