image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 8 years ago

Tonight we went to Gus' Famous Fried Chicken for dinner. Well, I did, Fiona can't eat it. As seen on Man vs Food and other TV shows like that.

And indeed, it was good! Tasty, a little spicy, and not fatty at all. $10 for 3 pces of chicken and a beer. Recommended!!

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#702 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

But is he dead? I swear I saw him surfing yesterday!

He has been spotted more than once (long after his supposed death) at one of the McDonalds restaurants in Kalamazoo. Maybe he will make it over to Pinball at the Zoo later this week or one of the attendees will see him if they stop in for a Big Mac on their way to the Kalamazoo County Fairgrounds.....

#703 8 years ago

As I said before, Memphis, Tennessee is on the boarder with Mississippi. Well, it's also on the border with Arkansas as well! So we drove over there and checked it out briefly. The couple of people we met talked like the Hillbilly Bears ... "Hmgmgmgm godddddamn come over here maaaaaaa hmgmgmgmgmg" ... So we quickly fled back to the safely of Memphis lol

Beale Street is Memphis' famous party street, akin to Bourbon St in New Orleans. Some of the businesses date back to the 1870s. But it was pretty quiet at 5pm on a Tuesday.

The Gibson Guitar factory is just around the corner. We missed the tour but I went to the guitar store to drool on the guitars.

rd

#704 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmm ... And it works well.
It'd be a bit hit in the west of Sydney.
Probably NSFW ... But this is what the west of Sydney is like ...
rd
» YouTube video

Housos not Bogans. In Sydney we use to call the west 'westies' which has changed to 'bogans' but housos have always been housos.

Bogans you will have to your house, housos not so much. (not for you Dave I know you know all this stuff more for our international friends).

#705 8 years ago

You know you are less than 80 KM from Dyess, Arkansas.

Based on your pictures from downtown Nashville, I think you know who one of Dyess' most famous residents was......

Dyess_(resized).JPGDyess_(resized).JPG

Dyess_DB_(resized).JPGDyess_DB_(resized).JPG

#706 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Based on your pictures from downtown Nashville, I think you know who one of Dyess' most famous residents was......

Guess #1 ... The Bandit? Snowman? Beaufort T Justice?

Guess #2 ... Johnny Cash.

rd

#707 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Guess #1 ... The Bandit? Snowman? Beaufort T Justice?
Guess #2 ... Johnny Cash.
rd

Scratch the Nashville pics; I was thinking about pinball. Gene Williams worked for Bally in Field Service & Training when the industry switched over from EM's to SS pins.

#708 8 years ago

Found a cool Ghostbusters topper (idea, if nothing else) today. Oh the findings of shopping in random shops with those weird smelly stuck things in them (insense sticks?)...

Would also like to say..

Had Sonic today. Tater tots were good, burger was alright, drink was massive (for a kiwi, not for an American I guess) and I have now learnt that Oreo cheescakes are way too sugary/sweet for my liking >_<

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#709 8 years ago

I dont eat there often. in high school i knew a few of the guys that worked in the kitchen at the local one and just got out of the habit because they weren't someone i would want touching my food
Cheesesticks are good though and I definitely would suggest a cherry limeaid. Quite yummy and not too difficult to make at home.

.....also, good with vodka.

#710 8 years ago

I love the "for a kiwi" expression. This thread is so cool to see how other people view us.

#711 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I love the "for a kiwi" expression. This thread is so cool to see how other people view us.

It's always good to look at things from another perspective.

Same when I have guests at my place in NZ like Ben Heck. He liked some of the things we do, and screwed his nose up at some of the other things. It's all part of life's adventures.

rd

#712 8 years ago

Yeah, usually its amusing enough to hear the views that people from other people parts of the country have of us here in "the South" so it's certainly even more interesting to see it through the lens of Dave and Co.

Disclaimer: though i use the term "us," i have all my teeth and enjoy neither Nascar nor country music.

#713 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

so it's certainly even more interesting to see it through the lens of Dave and Co

We have really enjoyed the south.

As I said in previous posts, everyone is nice and polite and welcoming.

I'm sure we will be back to the region again sometime. Still lots of places to explore, and a revisit to Florida is well overdue.

Quoted from nman:

Yeah, usually its amusing enough to hear the views that people from other people parts of the country have of us here in "the South"

I would venture to say that a lot of the folks up north who may be disparaging of the south probably have never been here. It's a view that they've formed through TV and movies.

rd

#714 8 years ago

And one day I would like to make this run ... There and back in 28 hours or less ...

10 points to the first person who names what it is .....

rd

#715 8 years ago

Smokey and the Bandit

#716 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

Smokey and the Bandit

Awwww ... So quick!

10 Pinside karma points to your account.

rd

#717 8 years ago

Glad to hear you've enjoyed it. Personally, it's really been fun for me to follow this thread. Almost like a mini-vacation since you guys have been to quite a few places I've never been either. Living vicariously or what have you

Also, I think you're right that the people who've actually visited the southeast generally have more positive things to say as opposed to those who just get the media portrayals. Hey, if nothing else, the food is usually pretty good.

#718 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Same when I have guests at my place in NZ like Ben Heck. He liked some of the things we do, and screwed his nose up at some of the other things. It's all part of life's adventures

Have some examples of what confuses/scares the Americans?

#719 8 years ago

RD you are sooo close. I'm glad you tried Gus's. I had it in Little Rock just 2 weeks ago and thought of your trip.

What's next and or where is your departure city?

Chris

#720 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Awwww ... So quick!
10 Pinside karma points to your account.
rd

I will double the points for you if when you do the trip it's in a black Trans Am and you where a cowboy hat and Fiona where's a wedding dress.

#721 8 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

Have some examples of what confuses/scares the Americans?

When they come to New Zealand?

- marmite
- vegemite
- crumpets
- driving on the left side of the road
- not tipping anyone ... Ever
- toilets with less than 100 gallons of water in them
- food that tastes ... real
- walking places ... That really freaks them out
- cows in paddocks eating grass
- rugby
- cricket

rd

#722 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

I will double the points for you if when you do the trip it's in a black Trans Am and you where a cowboy hat and Fiona where's a wedding dress.

I'm saving up for a black 2016 Corvette but I'll draw a huge gold eagle on the hood in sharpie for bonus points.

rd

#723 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

RD you are sooo close. I'm glad you tried Gus's. I had it in Little Rock just 2 weeks ago and thought of your trip.
What's next and or where is your departure city?
Chris

Looks like they are taking Gus' nationwide. The website says branches open in California soon.

We leave Memphis tomorrow and head back to L.A for 2 days ...

rd

#724 8 years ago

For future reference. Jack Pirtle's is where you go for good yard bird in Memphis. There was one over by Graceland.

#725 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

As I said before, Memphis, Tennessee is on the boarder with Mississippi. Well, it's also on the border with Arkansas as well! So we drove over there and checked it out briefly. The couple of people we met talked like the Hillbilly Bears ... "Hmgmgmgm godddddamn come over here maaaaaaa hmgmgmgmgmg" ... So we quickly fled back to the safely of Memphis lol

Had the same experience back in 1987. Went to Graceland, then my Dad decided we should check out Arkansas. It was pretty scary, and we got the hell out of there fast.

#726 8 years ago

RotorDave I thought sheep are the biggest attraction in Nz?

#727 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

From my 1 trip over so far>>

freshwater eels and cool pussum are pretty neat for animals, unless you get ripped enough to see a Moa

for social world, 27 year old me getting openly hit on my 35-40 yo women was pretty wild till I realized in NZ age has little boundary on sex/social interactions

NZ is also all about black sand beaches and just sparsely populated outside of Aukland.

I really want to make a trip back, but I think 2 months is the minimum time to do both islands proper and 3 months would be better and feel less rushed.

#728 8 years ago

Put Charleston on your list for your Deep South trip. I'd love to show you all around!

#729 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Maybe for you champ.

rd

#730 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I really want to make a trip back, but I think 2 months is the minimum time to do both islands proper and 3 months would be better and feel less rushed

Nah, one month would do it. Bob Matthews was at my place a few months ago, he drove Auckland to Queenstown and all around in a camper van in 3 weeks, and back to Auckland again. And played some pinball comps too!

rd

#731 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When they come to New Zealand?

- toilets with less than 100 gallons of water in them

rd

I find the high-tide toilets disturbing, no half flush or full with them.

#732 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nah, one month would do it.

We plan on pithcing a tent and spending 1 month in your game room alone

Need another 2 months to explore.

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We plan on pithcing a tent and spending 1 month in your game room alone

Some pins guys "pitch a tent" in their trousers when they enter my pin room.

rd

#734 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Some pins guys "pitch a tent" in their trousers when they enter my pin room.
rd

you aint jokin'

#735 8 years ago

We consider a seeping high-tide toilet ideal for watering our pets while on vacation.

#736 8 years ago

I "pitch a tent" in my game room BUT in RD's i'd probably just have a pinball heartie

#737 8 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

For future reference. Jack Pirtle's is where you go for good yard bird in Memphis. There was one over by Graceland.

Yep, I saw that up the road from The King.

Looked inviting ... But we already had a date with Gus.

rd

#738 8 years ago

Flew back to Los Angeles today. Weather is sweet!

Tonight we decided that Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons didn't have quite enough money, so we headed to Rock & Brews in El Segundo to make them a donation.

The place was packed out. Lots of gluten free stuff for Fiona. We got a GF pizza to share, it was one of the better pizzas (of any variety) I have had. Lots of beers to choose from, maybe 50? Maybe more.

rd

#739 8 years ago

Rock n roll with the New Zealand wine

Also, 20/20 would recommend.

#740 8 years ago

Damn, that place is packed for a wednesday evening. I'll have to check it out sometime.

#741 8 years ago

Let's go for a rare double high kick!

rd

#742 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Maybe for you champ.
rd

image_(resized).jpeg

Does N.Z. actually needs signs for that??

#743 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes, to point out where it's forbidden. All others places, you're good to go

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Only in places where our Australian friends frequent.

We need to keep them on the straight and narrow.

They're all descended from convicts, don't you know ...

rd

#745 8 years ago

You guys are at Universal? Cool! Take a ride on the Mummy Coaster!

#746 8 years ago

If you could have only convinced Marge to high kick

#747 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys are at Universal? Cool! Take a ride on the Mummy Coaster!

Yep, last minute decision as the girls wanted to go to the new Harry Potter thing that just opened ...

rd

#748 8 years ago

Good thing you missed the grand opening of that ride. It was a zoo!

#749 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, last minute decision as the girls wanted to go to the new Harry Potter thing that just opened ...
rd

The weather is freaking awesome right now. Enjoy cause it's about to get hot and humid.

#750 8 years ago

It's all goods at the Universal Studios...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.